Summerslam 2012 is 20 years in the making...

rge2010

Mid-Card Championship Winner
....of Summerslam 1992 LIVE from Wembley Stadium. Isn't it about time England got a major WWE event? We used to get Rebellion and Insurextion a few years ago but these were never major events.

Wembley Stadium is the most expensive stadium in the world. Cost over £1bn to make, its modern and it most importantly - has a roof.

I would love WWE to add a PPV to it's UK & Ireland tour. With Wade Barret, Drew McIntyre, Mason Ryan and Sheamus all involved, the people from this part of the world would be demanding tickets more than ever!

Yes!! I'm from England, and I can't wait to see it! It's about time WWE give England a chance at something! It can be done very well, and as you said, especially with the likes of Drew McIntyre!

I think it'll be hard for Vince to resist the payday associated with Wembley, the new stadium could easily accomodate 100,000 for wrestling.

For it to really work though, they'd need to have DH Smith in a title match, imagine the pop if DH lifted the IC belt like his dad did?

It really makes sense for WWE to start doing more UK PPV's as increasing numbers of their top line is now English or Irish...

I think this would be one of the best things that the WWE could do because having the likes of Sheamus and Finlay in a match N.I vs R.O.I this is a match in the making and in the UK, it would make it even more historic.

Also having Drew McIntyre vs Roddy Pipper, Pipper can still go bring him back :p

And even Wade Barrett and DH Smith vs. Tyson Kidd and Edge, classic, Just like Bret vs. Davey.

Come on Vince listen to us Irish, English, Welsh and Scottish people. It is the Irish people who made you father, he was born here like :)

Wembley Stadium is the most expensive stadium in the world. Cost over £1bn to make.

Actualy just looked it up it is th second most expensive stadium at £798 million. it's second to New MeadowLands Stadium in New Jersey which took approximately $1.6 billion to build

but on topic Im from Oklahoma so I would much rather have a PPV here lol but I do agree with the names they have they could have a 1 there

Actualy just looked it up it is th second most expensive stadium at £798 million. it's second to New MeadowLands Stadium in New Jersey which took approximately $1.6 billion to build

but on topic Im from Oklahoma so I would much rather have a PPV here lol but I do agree with the names they have they could have a 1 there

Maybe so, however, I still reckon Wembley could hold more people. While it may not be the same Wembley as 20 years ago it would still be an epic event. But don't WWE do all their events in the O2 Arena? Atleast that's where my tickets are for the UK tour in April.

I'd love some more Wrestling in the UK. We're very deprived of it over here since Rebellion and Insurrextion were discontinued.

It's already been said above, but Wembley could easily hold 100,000. That's WrestleMania worthy. I, along with every other Wrestling fan in the UK would love some more Wrestling. Espacially WrestleMania. WrestleMania fever would run riot over the entire country and it'd definitely be a WrestleMania to remember, what with it being the first Mania' in the UK.

I was chatting about having WrestleMania at the Wembley Stadium a few days ago actually. Even if I didn't get to go, it'd still be huge in the UK. I definitely think UK needs more Wrestling, we're a huge fanbase and we hardly get anything besides a few live events for Raw and Smackdown, and some house shows each year. Do the WWE really think we're that bad?

funny i was just watching sumerslam 92 the other day. i must say if wwe is going back to england they need to do it at wrestlemania. hopefully in 2012 or 2013

i would love for it to come over here and to get past the time difference why not just adjust it so it would still start at the same time in america and have it starting at 1 or midnight if it was wrestlemania

I think the main reason the WWE doesn't do PPV anymore in England is due to the fact that they'd probably have to tape it due to the time difference. Considering England is 5 hours ahead in time from the East Coast here in the US. If they did the PPV at the usual PPV time in England (8pm), it would air live here in the US at 3pm (Eastern time). WWE would want the PPV to air at its normal time in the East, so it would be pretaped and with the internet it would be leaked all over the place. If I'm not mistaken the Summerslam event was taped and aired over here at normal time. But back in 92 the internet wasn't nearly the factor it is in wrestling today.

I think a PPV in England would be pretty cool and something different as it has been awhile since our friends over the pond have had the pleasure of hosting a PPV. I'm sure they can find away around the internet to get this done, however I'm not sure if they'd use it on a Wrestlemania. Summerslam or Survivor Series would be more likely in my mind.

Wembley Stadium is the most expensive stadium in the world. Cost over £1bn to make, its modern and it most importantly - has a roof.

Er... sorry but I just thought I'd point out that this roof, it only comes as far as the touchlines, so it leaves the entire playing surface open the elements actually.

If you want a stadium with a roof, then it's the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff.

Sure, sounds great. The stadium holds 100,000 people. But I'm sorry... who is going to draw 100,000 fans though? If Hogan/Andre drew 93,000, I doubt anyone today could go anywhere near 100K.

Anyway, I've noticed that there's been a sharp rise in wrestlers from the area. It's definitely at the point where a card can be filled with Scottish, Irish, British and Welsh wrestlers. The roof will probably be torn off the joint.

Not only in England, but I think it would be beneficial for WWE to host major events (like the big 4) a lot more on international turf.

WWE often draws big crowds internationally because they aren't there very much and for that reason alone it will draw more than in the US because other countries can only see their favorite stars like once in a blue moon. Not only that, but there are so many huge stadiums around the world that the WWE could pack 70'000-80'000 easily. WWE is huge in a lot of parts in the world (they're really huge in the middle east) and could get some massive gates if they had, lets say a Royal Rumble in England or India, I bet both countries would pack in at least 80'000 for that particular event, and its not like it would hurt PPV buys.

Personally I would love to see a major WWE event somewhere like Wembley, the crowd would be huge, more passionate (like I said, how often do people in England get to see the Undertaker live) and would garner some huge revenue. Cost's might be more, but I'm sure they would make that up with the extra 30'000 they attract.

I think the main reason the WWE doesn't do PPV anymore in England is due to the fact that they'd probably have to tape it due to the time difference. Considering England is 5 hours ahead in time from the East Coast here in the US. If they did the PPV at the usual PPV time in England (8pm), it would air live here in the US at 3pm (Eastern time). WWE would want the PPV to air at its normal time in the East, so it would be pretaped and with the internet it would be leaked all over the place. If I'm not mistaken the Summerslam event was taped and aired over here at normal time. But back in 92 the internet wasn't nearly the factor it is in wrestling today.

I think a PPV in England would be pretty cool and something different as it has been awhile since our friends over the pond have had the pleasure of hosting a PPV. I'm sure they can find away around the internet to get this done, however I'm not sure if they'd use it on a Wrestlemania. Summerslam or Survivor Series would be more likely in my mind.

I see what you mean, and it would probably be a harsh blow to WrestleMania if we had it over here and the time difference is going to be like that. The internet is a huge and unfortunate factor aswell, bringing up the time difference problem again, and like you said, the internet leaks. Any PPV being leaked is a bad thought, nevermind the biggest PPV.

Sometime in mid 2003 since we hosted a PPV I think, and those PPV's were only for the benefit of the British anyway. The last major PPV we actually hosted was in Manchester for No Mercy 1999. I somewhat agree with you on not having WrestleMania over here, somewhat, just because I'd love to go to WrestleMania. The problem with going to WrestleMania for the British is finding the funds to buy the tickets, fly over to America, find accomodation, food, drink etc. While I whole-heartedly agree that all the cost is definitely worth it, it'd be roughly a few thousand pounds trip. Like £2500 maybe £3000.

I'd still settle for any PPV over here though.

I love the idea of having a major ppv over here, but I'm not sure that it would work logistically in this day and age. Obviously with the time difference, ppv sales in America would probably take a bit of a hit and combined with the costs of putting on a ppv in this country might not work out profitable for Vince. Also, only a small point but Wembley Stadium doesn't have a roof. If they were looking at holding a ppv in this country the O2 Arena would probably be a better bet.

Thank you someone has finally acknowledged that Wembley stadium is not a suitable venue for a WWE PPV, what with our VERY unpredictable weather, and the lack of a roof. The only suitable venues would be The o2 arena (23,000 capacity), The Millenium Stadium with its closable roof (74,500 capacity, 2nd largest covered stadium in the world) or at a stretch Wembley arena (in the region of 10,000.

Reguarding ticket sales... If you are talking about an event such as Wrestlemania being here, well let's face it, ticket sales wouldn't be a problem. Fans travel from all around the world to be at Mania. This also applies to maybe The Rumble, Summerslam, and Survivor Series too. They wouldn't have trouble selling tickets for these events no matter which country. For one of these events also, they would need the higher capacity venues in order for it to hold a torch to the, 'big 4,' PPVs of years gone by. But face it. Thanks to the internet (not just the IWC, but also through the likes of Facebook, Twitter, text etc.) everyone would know the results hours before the PPV would be broadcast in the USA, and no, they wouldn't be able to start airing the event at 12AM here so it is shown normal time in the USA. Stadiums are very loud. You would hear the event for miles around, and the Police/local councils just wouldn't allow it on a breach of the peace for nearby residents basis.

So, sorry to burst everyone's bubble but we'll never see Mania in the UK, maybe, at a stretch, one of the lesser PPVs but never one of the big four.

Thank you someone has finally acknowledged that Wembley stadium is not a suitable venue for a WWE PPV, what with our VERY unpredictable weather, and the lack of a roof. The only suitable venues would be The o2 arena (23,000 capacity), The Millenium Stadium with its closable roof (74,500 capacity, 2nd largest covered stadium in the world) or at a stretch Wembley arena (in the region of 10,000.

Yeh, ok. Wembleys roof woudlnt cover the desired area. I said Wembley instead of the Millenium because "Summerslam 20102 LIVE from Wembley Stadium, London, England" sounds alot more appealling than "Summerslam 2012 LIVE from the Millenium Stadium, Cardiff, Wales".

Wembley stadium is one of the most famous stadiums in the world, as is London in terms of Cities. The 2 go hand in hand and for travelling fans, they could make a good weekend of it down in the big smoke.

If you are going to hold a PPV outside of USA/Canada then it has to be special. 23,000 in the 02 isnt special enough for one of the big 4. The internet ruining things is a big part but what is wrong with people in America watching the event at 3pm on a Sunday afternoon?!

Anyway, Wrestlemania too big to be moved over here. But Summerslam, like 1992 should be feasible at some point. 100,000 people packed into Wembley would mean alot of $$$ for Vinny.

I am from England! As much as I would love to see my favourite ppv here in the UK again, I doubt it will happen.. In 20 years, a lot has changed! Back then it didn't really work for the US fans because they got it a few days later and if it was to be live then US would have to show it at like 3pm on a sunday afternoon.. Also 20 years ago, the internet was a much different thing, like now, the amount of people who check on the internet for results and spoilers, its kinda killing wrestling IMO.. Even back in 92, the buyrate was low, although it was a good event.. There are many other reasons why I doubt VKM would do SummerSlam or any other ppv here in the UK..

That being said, WWE have quite a few good wrestlers from the UK.. Wade Barrett, Drew McIntyre, Sheamus from Ireland and a few others.. Also they are all heels, but as long as they are hoetown heroes, they will get cheered! I would love for the WWE to do a huge supershow here in the UK.. put it on Sky Sports or Box Office in the UK and show it in the States anytime they want, maybe like a pre-taped.. Wrestling is big here in the UK and the fans love to see WWE come here.. Soo why not?

Ruthless - RKO. Yes the wrestlers you have mentioned are heels but what the hell does that matter? You can easily turn any of them face by the time a PPV is/would be announced for the UK.

Its not like they are holding one next week!

No PPV will happen in the UK, because for one Vince wouldn't have it live in early afternoon in the USA and tape delay is a no no because of the internet.

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but this simply won't happen. A lot has changed for the WWF/E in the last 20 years, and the big one, the internet. There is no way in hell that Vince would sacrifice his buyrate in the United States to sell out a 100,000 seat stadium in the UK.

Someone would have to figure out the match, but the WWE can sell out a 20,000 seat arena here stateside, and make up the difference with pay per view buys. The WWE won't sell a live pay per view in the US early Sunday afternoon. The US and wrestling watching crowd has been trained to watch shows during the evening. The WWE would never go to a tape delay because of spoilers.

I would love to see it happen because of the visuals it would create, I just don't see it becoming a reality.

Just so eveybody knows, two things:

1.Don't feel bad for the UK about the loss of Insurrextion and Rebellion. Contrary to popular belief, they didn't actually lose anything - their exclusive PPVs were REPLACED with a TV taping and a tour of the country, and from the people I know who live there, the current situation is much preferred.

2.The No Marcy that was in the UK was not a "real" PPV either, it was still UK exclusive. There was another No Mercy later in the year that was the "real" one. SummerSlam 1992 was the only "real" PPV that's been held in the UK.

Also, I wish people would stop comparing Barrett, McIntyre, and Sheamus to the British Bulldog. Look at the name - BRITISH Bulldog. Yes, the other guys are from there, but they're not as patriotic as him. Their entrance music isn't Rule Britannia. They're not nearly the draws over there that he was. They wouldn't main event a show like he did.

As for SummerSlam 2012 being held in the UK, that's a lot more realistic than Wrestemania. (which absolutely will never happen under any circumstances) But I can thnk of at least one reason why it might not happen - this year will be the 3rd straight SummerSlam held at the Staples Center in LA, and there have been reports that Vince has decided to make that the permanent home of SummerSlam.

But the biggest thing is, I think the WWE feels holding two sets of TV tapings and live event tours over there every year is sufficient. And, as much as it sucks for fans over there, they're right. They're better off having every pay-per-view in North America.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back