Would the Memphis Territory work today?

It's...Baylariat!

Team Finnley Baylor
Memphis wrestling was better known as the CWA or USWA brand and for many years in the 70's, 80's and 90's, it was one of the better cult promotions in pro wrestling. The main headliner was Jerry 'The King' Lawler, who was a local hero in Memphis before becoming a commentator in the WWE.

The angles ran in this territory were very realistic and almost always involved bloodshed. It's wrestling I'm thankful to have grown up on when I was little. Man, Saturday's were awesome when i'd wake up at 11AM to watch WWF Wrestling Challenge, then CWA/USWA wrestling would come on from Noon to 1:30 PM, then at 6:05 I'd flip to TBS and watch World Championship Wrestling. Those were the days.

Here's some great highlights of the Memphis promotion....

[YOUTUBE]QfpFtZzDdLY[/YOUTUBE]

This was part of the Lawler/Eddie Gilbert feud that was one of the most intense rivalries in wrestling history. And it culminated with this happening...

[YOUTUBE]G27ssw7Np4c[/YOUTUBE]

Yep... that was intense... so intense that this made the 11 o'clock news in Memphis and the promoter, Eddie Marlin had to go on TV the next week to let the audience know it was staged to avoid Eddie Gilbert being charged with attempted vehicular homicide.

But that's not ALL... here's some more gems from Memphis...

[YOUTUBE]SnirpmLp42E[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]tzgvtknru3E[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]6DxpdijlLc8[/YOUTUBE]

I'd suggest going to YouTube and watching some of the classic shows that aired during this time. There's even whole episodes on their to watch.

So here in lies the question... would a Memphis-style of wrestling make it in today's world of Fruity Pebbles and Gut Checks?

Great videos.

I'd like to think a Memphis-style promotion would work today, but I'm a wrestling nerd. I mean, there are enough successful indies across the country to where I think one that was booked in that way would do well enough to be sustainable. Then again, the world has changed so much, newer/younger wrestling fans have different expectations, and veil of kayfabe is gone. I'm pretty sure it would work just fine if properly marketed and done in a region that was receptive. Another factor this day and age is the fact that the WWE is an ever greater force than it was back then. This hypothetical fed, if successful, would be under constant threat of getting raided by WWE not to mention talent jumping to ROH or TNA just to get the TV exposure.

It could work. If it were around here, I'd watch. The local NWA fed here isn't bad, but they're no Memphis. Again, awesome videos.

I think it could work. Why not? Ring of Honor has survived this long and IMPACT is borderline terrible most of the time. As long as they have the right performers, I don't think kayfabe would make a bit of difference. The toughest thing in order for a promotion to survive is the capital to continue running it to the point that it remains successful. This kind of promotion would more than likely cater to the IWC, much like Ring of Honor. Which means the IWC would have to PAY for shows. If all those factors fit into place, yes I think it could very well work.

Parts of it would, but parts of it wouldn't. I don't think Studio Wrestling would work today like it did back in Memphis' heyday, but if the characters were right, and the wrestlers can connect with the fans enough that they would be willing to shell out 10 bucks and give up their Friday Night to spend time in some armory or small college gym, then it could.

The death of Cory Macklin, who many claim stole the rights from Jerry may well see this happen... WWE and Lawler will no doubt wait to see how Macklin bequeathed what he had and buy it up... NXT is a great way to train but a new Memphis promotion would be a strong way to season... Lawler can be in charge, reduce his schedule and the E has a 2nd option for new talent.

if the rights are even remotely available or WWE thinks they can get them...they will!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back