Would a Japan-US Relationship Work for the WWE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenta

The Shark Should've Worked in WCW
Yes, there is a reason why this thread is in the Old School. A long, long time ago, this actually was a fairly common matter to occur in promotions. Companies like the NWA and the WWF would send some of their best workers, and in turn, some of Japan's most famous workers would spend quality time in the other promotions. Giant Baba, creator of of All Japan Pro Wrestling, was a recognized official of the NWA. The NWA Title was continually defended on consistent basis in Japan, even having Baba get a reign with the belt, though it would only last a week or two. The AWA was fond of sending Hulk Boulder over to Japan, as was Vince, and it was here that Hogan actually had his much better matches with the late Andre the Giant. Even Japanese legends such as Great Muta and Stan Hansen (That should at least get a Lariat plug to this thread) would spend extended amounts of time in the NWA. Even up to 1999, major promotions had an extended relationship with Japanese promotions, the last being ECW's business agreement with FMW, which brought in greats such as Masato Tanaka and Mike Awesome, and allowing Hayabusa and Jinzei (Cough... Hakushi...) in for one time appearances.

Now, it appears as though TNA and NJPW are furthering agreements, allowing top wrestlers such as the Dudleys and Kurt Angle to ship out to Japan on rare occasions. However, TNA isn't the only promotion looking to further it's popularity outside the States. For years, the E has put an emphasis on reaching out to international markets. Japan is one of the largest wrestling audiences in the world. And though this may be a bit presumptuous, I don't think NJPW would have any qualms no longer doing business with TNA if a more lucrative, famous company offered the chance. So could more of a working WWE-NJPW be effective for the WWE?

First, consider all of the following factors:

The WWE's roster is absolutely saturated right now. Many performers find it difficult to find television time, and what with ECW eventually shutting down, in theory, there's going to be even more saturation of the brands. So, why would Vince not find the ability to stick his wrestlers that have good wrestling skills, but need work on the microphone, over to NJPW. Someone like Shelton Benjamin immediately comes to mind, and even wrestlers like Rey Mysterio, CM Punk, and even Chris Jericho could spend more time in Japan, to rest their faces from television for a little while. In turn, the WWE gets more of a market from the Japanese contingency. This could open the doors to plenty more International Business, and possibly more shows to Japanese shows that typically tend to sell really well.

So again, the question begs to be asked.... Should the WWE invest in some Jap Anus relationships? Should the WWE attempt to strike a deal with Japan, to grow their market?

Absolutely not, and that's coming from a big puro mark. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see CM Punk vs. Go Shiozaki or something along those lines, but for the WWE it would make no sense from a business perspective. Japanese wrestling fans are looking for an entirely different product, one that is based on in-ring athleticism and incredible matches that don't rely on storylines or angles to excite the crowd. The WWE would go over about as well as a dry fart in Japan, and if I'm correct they continue to do just that. NOAH and NJPW are pretty much the only relevant promotions in Japan these days and both are far more popular in Japan than the WWE is.

From a business stand point, the WWE would not gain anything. They'd just be wasting their time quite frankly. Japanese crowds would most likely take a shit on John Cena vs. Randy Orton, sorry Vince.

Absolutely not, and that's coming from a big puro mark. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see CM Punk vs. Go Shiozaki or something along those lines, but for the WWE it would make no sense from a business perspective. Japanese wrestling fans are looking for an entirely different product, one that is based on in-ring athleticism and incredible matches that don't rely on storylines or angles to excite the crowd. The WWE would go over about as well as a dry fart in Japan, and if I'm correct they continue to do just that. NOAH and NJPW are pretty much the only relevant promotions in Japan these days and both are far more popular in Japan than the WWE is.

From a business stand point, the WWE would not gain anything. They'd just be wasting their time quite frankly. Japanese crowds would most likely take a shit on John Cena vs. Randy Orton, sorry Vince.

I would agree, on the matter that WWE's storyline driven shows wouldn't go well, nor would the gimmicked wrestlers. However, consider those that would work in a Puro world. True, there may not be many, but I can see a guy like Jericho, Punk, and Shelton Benjamin working well. It's not as though Vince seems at all willing to give these men the credit they deserve (Yes, I even do say that about Shelton, X. He's doing well right now), so why not allow them the chance to get over. Then, in the hopes of bringing this audience over to America, perhaps Japanese fans would follow these wrestlers in their exploits in other promotions. True, typically Japanese fans don't follow Gaijin, and it may be even more difficult when that wrestler's in the states. But considering that Japanese fans create such cult followings for their favorite wrestlers, I don't think it'd be hard to see fans following other wrestlers, if they are to work the same style.

Remember X, before Hulk Hogan was big in the WWE, he had a huge following from those who watched his Japan matches in the late 70s early 80s. He may have worked a different style, but perhaps Cena has it in his arsenal to work a style not exactly puro, but more like Hogan worked in Japan.

Perhaps this is the growing puro mark in me, and maybe I'm thinking too idealistically. But if the WWE is adamant in expanding it's borders, why not take a stab at a market that could be huge?

You know, this is a very interesting though.

I would love to see this happen: Why?

A) This would provide the product with a more dynamic show. I would love to see a great wrestling based show every once in a while. I'm quite tired of the same old show every single week. An hour and a half of talking, skits, and other stuff, and only a half an hour of wrestling. Maybe, if the WWE could expand their nation to Japan, we would get to see a more dynamic show. Suited for both wrestling fans, and male soap oprah fans.

B) I think the Japanese wrestlers would be awesome to see each and every week. I know very, very, very little about Puro, other than its amazing to watch. To see some of the bigger named stars on WWE television would be fantastic.

Will this work, or will it ever happen? No

The styles are just much too diffrent as Xfear has allready said. The Japanese look for traditional styles of wrestling, where the match tells the story, not the words. I don't think the WWE and Japanese promotions wouldn't mesh well due to this.

Now, as for another idea. I would love, love, love to see some of the Mexican wrestlers out of Mexico come to the WWE. I absolutely adore the small amounts of Luchadors I have seen. I like the style of Mexican wrestling. While I can't go into any detail as to whats going on in the Mexican wrestling world, and of their big name stars throughout history, but I find what I've seen to be very interesting. I think these styles would mesh amazingly well together.

Allegedly, WWE had a relationship with Michinoku Pro back in the day, but, the Great Sasuke was too much of an asshole and WWE cut ties with the company while keeping Taka Michinoku (that's how they got Hakushi/Jinsei Shinzaki for a bit as well).

It honestly all depends, man. There's no cruiserweight division to speak of in WWE, so Dragon Gate and Michinoku Pro are out of the question. The wrestlesr in NOAH are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too fucking stiff to work in WWE, and AJPW has a pretty shallow roster. The two companies that WWE could do well with are NJPW and HUSTLE; NJPW already works with TNA, so, that leaves only HUSTLE.

I could see WWE doing something with HUSTLE, but, I'd rather see them work with either CMLL or AAA in Mexico. There are plenty of wrestlers there that could get over big here, given the burgeoning Hispanic population in the US. Getting Mistico's out of the question, though, so WWE would be best going with AAA in the end.

I could see WWE doing something with HUSTLE, but, I'd rather see them work with either CMLL or AAA in Mexico. There are plenty of wrestlers there that could get over big here, given the burgeoning Hispanic population in the US. Getting Mistico's out of the question, though, so WWE would be best going with AAA in the end.

You know what... I love that idea, man. I could see something like that working myself. There's just two issues I have.

1. Vince McMahon is going to base this off of Rey Mysterio. I can actually predict this, as could any fan of the WWE. Nevertheless, allegedly, Mysterio has plenty of heat in Mexican promotions, due to his loss of a mask in another promotion, and then gaining it back in the WWE. This is strictly against the Mexican code, and could result in what could only be the WWE's largest face become the John Cena of Mexico.

2. I fail to see anyone that can work a lucha libre style. Perhaps this may be my ignorance on AAA, but I'm led to believe that the Lucha Libre is based on fast paced, non stop action. I can't think of one wrestler that doesn't typically use a quarter amount of their wrestling matches times with rest holds (aside from Primo and Evan Bourne. I suppose the big names of the WWE may be able to overshadow this, but also one has to consider the talent that comes to WWE wouldn't be able to work their style in the WWE. Though I do really love the idea. It all depends, to me, is if Vince would allow wrestlers to work a lucha libre style

The Japanese take their wrestling very seriously. It's a sport in Japan. Here, it's entertainment. Hulk Hogan said himself that the WWE Belt was a 'trinket' and the titles in Japan mean more. This is the face of the WWE during this time, and he said the belt was shit compared to Japan's titles.

I don't think the brand of wrestling would mesh well and there's very few wrestlers that can wrestle the puro style. Cena is shit. HHH may be able to do it. Orton could probably learn it. But for the most part, Japan would be a bad mix for the WWE and they'd be a terrible mix to any organization in Japan. It's just a totally different animal in Japan all together.

1. Vince McMahon is going to base this off of Rey Mysterio. I can actually predict this, as could any fan of the WWE. Nevertheless, allegedly, Mysterio has plenty of heat in Mexican promotions, due to his loss of a mask in another promotion, and then gaining it back in the WWE. This is strictly against the Mexican code, and could result in what could only be the WWE's largest face become the John Cena of Mexico.

Nein. Mysterio is technically a different character now, as he is "Rey Mysterio" not "Rey Mysterio jr" who lost his mask. Its fairly common for demasked wrestlers to return to the mask as a different character. Obviously, this is semanitcs, but I don't really think anyone cares in Mexico that he has put the mask back on.

2. I fail to see anyone that can work a lucha libre style. Perhaps this may be my ignorance on AAA, but I'm led to believe that the Lucha Libre is based on fast paced, non stop action. I can't think of one wrestler that doesn't typically use a quarter amount of their wrestling matches times with rest holds (aside from Primo and Evan Bourne. I suppose the big names of the WWE may be able to overshadow this, but also one has to consider the talent that comes to WWE wouldn't be able to work their style in the WWE. Though I do really love the idea. It all depends, to me, is if Vince would allow wrestlers to work a lucha libre style

I kind of see that, but lucha libre is a range of different people and styles. There are plenty of lucha stars that could work with anyone in the WWE and vice versa. Harley Race and Bob Backlund worked wirh Mil Mascaras on a fairly regular basis, and even Hogan and Andre the Giant worked with guys from Mexico, it could work, but I don't think it would.

Which brings me on to the matter at hand. There is no market for Japanese wrestlers in the WWE audience, or no significant audiene anyway. Japanese wrestlers have historically flattered to deceive in the WWE, and I doubt this would be any different, it'd just be a load of guys that people don't know who can't speak English. This kind of deal would work better in TNA, but these days decent in ring competition isn't enough for it to be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back