The lack of Japanese wrestlers in WWE

The Liar

Dark Match Winner
As most internet wrestling fans know, the country of Japan has been home to some of the world's best wrestlers for generations. Promotions like New Japan Pro Wrestling and Michinoku Pro Wrestling showcase some of the most impressive in-ring action anywhere on earth. Along with Mexico, Japan is one of the two hotbeds for fast-paced, high-flying wrestling. Because of this, one would assume that WWE would be eager to get their hands on Japanese talent, but that hasn't been the case. The only one they have right now is Yoshi Tatsu, who is just a jobber who isn't going anywhere. We also have Lord Tensai, who is just a white guy playing a Japanese gimmick.

One reason I find this puzzling is because they have a good amount of Mexican talent (Alberto Del Rio, Rey Mysterio, Sin Cara, Hunico, etc.), some of which have their roots in the luche libre style of wrestling. The main explanation I hear for this is that the US has a huge Hispanic population that is important to market towards, and on top of that WWE has been becoming more popular in Mexico. However, I still don't think that explains the lack of Japanese superstars. In the past five years we have seen the WWE indulge in many international talents: Indian, Russian, Irish, British, South African, etc. Some have worked wonderfully while others haven't.

I will end this long post with two questions:

1) Why do you think the WWE doesn't pursue signing Japanese wrestlers?

2) If the cruiserweight division were to come back, would we begin seeing more Japanese wrestlers in

Because Japanese wrestlers, more often than not, wrestle a style that is not going to fly in the WWE.

Actually, first I should qualify this; that's really why you won't see established Japanese stars in the WWE. If you're looking for the same stars you'd find in New Japan and All Japan, you won't, because you have to train them all over again to work against their typical, puro style.

Do you know who Okato is? That's your current IWGP champion; for all intents and purposes, he's the guy in Japan, though I'm sure you could make an argument for Tanahashi, and it's a good one. Okato had a brief run in TNA as Okada, Samoa Joe's buddy for... Some reason. It didn't work out, because Okato's style wasn't going to work in TNA. Sure, he could have wrestled Kurt Angle, and maybe the MCMG, because they know how to work that style. Put him in the ring with Rob Terry, or Mr. Anderson? It's an absolute disaster, and most of the time for Okada, it was. He's not the only one; plenty of guys have had this trouble.

But what if you were to train a Japanese wrestler into the WWE style, you ask? Here's the problem;

1. Why would a Japanese star come to the WWE, when he can work in his home country, make sizable bank, have less of a schedule, more time off, and be treated like a god in your own home?

2. Do you remember Kenzo Suzuki? Kenzo was a really bad worker to begin with; he got worse when he couldn't communicate with the guy he's working with. That will be the norm, it will not be the rarity.

Hope we put that topic to bed, now

The truth is it has very little to do with style and everything to do with mic skills. If you can't get a guy over, he won't sell, and nobody cares if he can do a few things in the ring they've seen before.

The only thing that sells is loving or hating a guy based on his character...which is mostly shaped by his mic skills and actions, not by his wrestling.

All the wrestling fans in the world hate to hear it and will swear it's everything that's wrong with WWE, but it's the truth.

Bottom line, WWE doesn't pursue more Japanese wrestlers because they won't draw and won't be worth the investment.

The truth is it has very little to do with style and everything to do with mic skills. If you can't get a guy over, he won't sell, and nobody cares if he can do a few things in the ring they've seen before.

The only thing that sells is loving or hating a guy based on his character...which is mostly shaped by his mic skills and actions, not by his wrestling.

All the wrestling fans in the world hate to hear it and will swear it's everything that's wrong with WWE, but it's the truth.

Bottom line, WWE doesn't pursue more Japanese wrestlers because they won't draw and won't be worth the investment.

Mic skills are a part of it; it explains why there won't be big stars. What you're answering right now is why a Japanese wrestler won't be on the level of Cena and Punk and the like. Even then, though, the WWE is always looking for good wrestlers. You can't have enough guys on the roster that know how to work. I'm explaining why you won't see many Japanese wrestlers in the WWE, at all.

You're explaining why there won't be stars; I'm explaining the lack of wrestlers, period. Yes, there's a difference

Guys like Hakushi, Taka Michinoku and Tajiri all had mild success in the WWE. Sure, they had great matches, but I think it was ultimately the language barrier that limited them rather than their styles. If you can't be good on the stick, then you can only do so much before your character becomes somewhat stagnant. I still hold onto that hope that some day a Japanese wrestler who is highly skilled in the ring and on the mic in both Japanese and English will show up in the WWE. That would be something different to see. Until then? Yoshi Tatsu aka Funaki #2 is what we're stuck with. It sucks for him considering how he wasn't getting anywhere in his homeland and now he's going nowhere on foreign land. Enhancement talent for life.

I always had an idea for pushing a dominant asian wrestler to the top. Have u ever seen the movie Bloodsport? I always thought Chong Li would make an awesome wrestling heel. he'd have to have the right build of course something that a guy like tatsu is lacking. Also he wouldn't need to have mic skills as he would have a mouthpiece.

Because Japanese wrestlers, more often than not, wrestle a style that is not going to fly in the WWE.

This guy knows what he's talking about. Anyway, we have a Japanese mega-star in the WWE - Lord Tensai ;-) Anyway, on a more serious note, Japanese and Mexican wrestlers find it difficult to go from their wrestling culture where the style is so different, to learning traditional North American styles. When Sin Cara debuted it was abit of a fail because he kept botching. Not entirely his fault, he just found it extremely hard to learn a knew style, plus very few of his opponents were familiar with what he was doing in the ring, providing a very difficult level of unpredictability that makes in-ring chemistry very difficult to establish. To fix the problem they brought in Hunico who was trained in both traditional Mexican and American pro-wrestling. It's easier to bring in Mexican wrestlers from the southern border than it is to relocate a Japanese wrestler from the other side of the globe at a high risk that they won't get over due to language barriers, difficult style to incorporate, etc.

Not to say that Japanese wrestlers have never been over with the 'Western' wrestling companies such as WWE, there have been a number of successful Japanese wrestlers over the years, but it's a risky move financially bringing in someone that may not be able to get over or work well with your talents.

This guy knows what he's talking about. Anyway, we have a Japanese mega-star in the WWE - Lord Tensai ;-) Anyway, on a more serious note, Japanese and Mexican wrestlers find it difficult to go from their wrestling culture where the style is so different, to learning traditional North American styles. When Sin Cara debuted it was abit of a fail because he kept botching. Not entirely his fault, he just found it extremely hard to learn a knew style, plus very few of his opponents were familiar with what he was doing in the ring, providing a very difficult level of unpredictability that makes in-ring chemistry very difficult to establish. To fix the problem they brought in Hunico who was trained in both traditional Mexican and American pro-wrestling. It's easier to bring in Mexican wrestlers from the southern border than it is to relocate a Japanese wrestler from the other side of the globe at a high risk that they won't get over due to language barriers, difficult style to incorporate, etc.

Not to say that Japanese wrestlers have never been over with the 'Western' wrestling companies such as WWE, there have been a number of successful Japanese wrestlers over the years, but it's a risky move financially bringing in someone that may not be able to get over or work well with your talents.

Plus (correct me if I'm wrong), the Japanese see wrestling more on an athletic scale and not the "entertainment" aspect that WWE spoon-feeds us (it's seen more as a sport instead of sports entertainment). I remember watching Allen Coage (Bad News Brown) on a pay-per-view in the early 90's that took place in Japan where it was more focus on the actual (paraphrasing the commentators here) "athletic aspect of wrestling and not what (you're) used to seeing on American television/this is shoot wrestling and not the WWF."

1) Why do you think the WWE doesn't pursue signing Japanese wrestlers?

Because Japanese wrestlers would have to learn to wrestle the WWE style. Which is a croc of shit, but this is what Vince does, makes guys change their ways to fit his vision of how they should wrestle. Secondly, as most Japanese speak Japanese, they would not connect with the fans if they cannot communicate with them.

2) If the cruiserweight division were to come back, would we begin seeing more Japanese wrestlers in.
Maybe, but would not expect them to get massively over, they would be just high spot merchants like the majority of the cruiserweigjhts

Traditionally, the problem has been Vince not knowing how to get them over as anything other than comedy jobbers for life as opposed to utilizing actual gimmicks or talents that play to their strengths.

Case in point, Hakushi - The gimmick was excellent, the skills undoubted and the matches he had with Bret explosive but within months he was floundering in a face tag team with Barry Horowitz. Part of the problem was they put him with "Shinja" or Sato from the Orient Express. It needed Mr. Fuji who had only recently left... or even better, a Cornette. Shinja didn't work and Hakushi suffered, much as how Sakamoto doesn't work with Tensai. The 2nd problem was that while the gimmick was excellent, once he had exhausted Bret and Kid as opponents there was nowhere storyline for it to go because of the face/heel divide. Owen would have been an awesome opponent, as would have Davey Boy with their Japanese experience... but they were normally on the same side of the fence.

It was a reason Muta never went to WWE, he knew that he would never be portrayed as a serious threat, more a mysterious sidekick to someone else like Yokozuna. When he declined, they created Kwang. Later they used Tajiri in that role but again, he became comedy jobber for life (though his stuff with Regal was gold)

There have been plenty of Japanese talents who could have made the transition, Matsato Tanaka, Tenzan or Kensuke Sasaki could have come in as that Bolo/Chong Li type character, steamrollering everyone. Heyman could have managed him... but Vince couldn't get it... so we end up with Choppy Choppy, EEEEVILLL and Yoshi Tatsu.

Today no self respecting Puoresu will go near WWE because they know they will end up a laughing stock back home.

WCW had the right idea for a time, treat them as special attractions, dangerous but not invincible. Chono was perhaps the best example, he main evented for them for over a year.

Japanese wrestlers will never be allowed to wrestle to their capacity in the WWE because Vince finds the style of wrestling boring. Which is a shame, NJPW throughout 2011 and so far into 2012 are the only promotion i have seen worlwide who consistently deliver in their main events, largely because of Tanahashi. You never know though, maybe Triple H has a different opinion to Vince...

It all goes back to the track record. WCW brought in a bunch of wrestlers from Japan and a bunch of wrestlers from Mexico. They Japanese never got over, while the Mexicans got super over.
With lucha you got high spots and you pop the crowd easy and it gets them (the regular fan) into it. The normal regular fan sees most Japanese wrestlers boring and don't want to watch them, add to that they can't speak english makes 90% of the audience turn the channel.
In the end the normal fan, not the mark is the money and most Japanese wrestler don't attract them.

Indie guys have to be rebuilt so to speak when they go to WWE and the same would be the case for Japanese wrestlers. If they were paired with managers and booked as threats there are some such as KENTA and Go Shiosaki that I think could get over and make the transition successfully, but whether it would be worth their time or financial risk is the big question that is probably answered with No, while Vince still has full control.

wwe is for american audiences and as a rule, they don't like the japanese style. even with the mexican wrestlers, the american audience just doesn't care for a guy in a mask. not to say there are not fans for it, but not enough fans to make it a focus. but they do have tensai who is fresh from japan so the style is there. and not saying it is entirely the fans fault. as mentioned vince doesn't know how to use them. but a big part of it is just the style is different and you would really need to make an effort to get them over and wwe doesn't want to put in that effort.

wwe is for american audiences and as a rule, they don't like the japanese style. even with the mexican wrestlers, the american audience just doesn't care for a guy in a mask. not to say there are not fans for it, but not enough fans to make it a focus. but they do have tensai who is fresh from japan so the style is there. and not saying it is entirely the fans fault. as mentioned vince doesn't know how to use them. but a big part of it is just the style is different and you would really need to make an effort to get them over and wwe doesn't want to put in that effort.

Not to stray off topic, but WWE doesn't seem to want to put much of an effort into getting anyone over these days. Punk got himself over last year, WWE lets Cody Rhodes and Ziggler languish in meaningless programs (yes, I did mean to include Rhodes).

The entire creative process is totally broken right now. I enjoyed Tajiri when he was in the WWE, they gave him some feuds, let him show some personality and he ran with it for a couple years. But he's honestly the only Japanese guy I can remember who's amounted to much in WWE. Although I admit I do have a short memory.

You also have a point with the Mexican wrestlers and the masks. It's just another handicap to these guys getting over on TV (the other main one being 4-minute crappy matches for the most part). No identity. I know Rey Mysterio is the exception but I personally think his mic skills absolutely suck and I was bored to hell with him in WWE long before his recent absence.

WWE is painting themselves so horribly into a corner. What are they gonna do when Taker/Rock/SCSA/HHH really ARE too old to wrestle? They're always talking about appealing to the entire WORLD but they can't even cater to their own country. They better think of something, because I think Cena will either end up going out like Edge (forced) or going out like Michaels (young enough so he's not limping out of the building on his way out the door.)

Guys with Lucha Libre and Japanese backgrounds typically struggle with McMahon's core audience because of his tried and true habit of selling huge bulked up monsters. It would be borderline racist if not for the fact that the typical WWE fan really isn't smart to Puroresu. There is also the language barrier if they're not bilingual.

On a side-note, I'd love to slap upside the head the writer that came up with the name "Yoshi Tatsu" (provided he didn't himself). His real name is Naofumi Yamamoto; not a name McMahon can sell, but the name he uses now just screams "A white person made this up." Like Albert doing the Tensai thing now... when they do the promos with him speaking Japanese, it's so corny. He definitely didn't pick up the accent in all his time working over there.

When Jinsei Shinzaki came to the WWF as Hakushi, I loved it and I was sad he didn't get over more. It was essentially his same gimmick in Japan, just with a name change. I'm proud to say I got to see him Live at SummerSlam '95.

As much as I'd love to see more Japanese stars in WWE, they wouldn't be doing us any favors.

WWE has Sakomoto and Jiro in FCW, and there might even be one more guy, and Yoshitatsu's on the main roster albeit used as enhancement talent save for that feud with Tyson Kidd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back