Worst Match of the Year

What was the Worst Match of 2008?

• Flair / Kennedy @ No Way Out

• HHH vs Khali @ SummerSlam

• Flair vs Michaels @ Wrestlemania 24

• Hardy vs Henry @ Summerslam

• Umaga vs Hardy @ One Night Stand

• Kaz vs Black Reign @ Final Resolution

• Styles & Tomko vs James & Armstrong @ A.A.O.

• Storm vs Rhyno @ Destination X

• Women's Ladder / Head Shave Match @ Sacrifice

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

Flair / Kennedy, No Way Out

Triple H. v. the Great Khali - Summerslam

Flair / Michaels, Wrestlemania 24

Matt Hardy vs Mark Henry, Summerslam

Umaga vs Jeff Hardy, Falls Count Anywhere, One Night Stand

Kaz vs Black Reign, Final Resolution

Styles and Tomko vs. B.G. James & Bullet Bob, Against All Odds

Storm vs. Rhino, Elevation X, Destination X

Women's Ladder Match/Battle Royal Head Shaving match, Sacrifice

Braden Walker had two matches.

In one match, he looked sloppy all throughout, and he botched a cross-body that I'm sure broke Armando Estrada's neck.

In the other match against James Curtis, that could have easily been the worst match of the year. Two overweight and out of shape slugs battling it out for about 6 minutes, complete with commentary from Mike Adamle. Both were so bad, that both were future endeavored after the match... I think even the ref may have been collateral damage as far as that match went as well.

For Worst Match of the Year, vote "Other" for Braden Walker vs. James Curtis!

I have to also go with Walker v. Curtis....The match was hideous and I bet the crowd wanted to walk out during that match....It showed that Walker wasn't ready for the WWE and should have stayed with TNA.

I would have went with HHH/Khali but HHH made Khali look decent even though I didn't think Khali was going to win the title.

Walker/Curtis might be bad, but at least you didn't pity them. If you did have sympathy for them, you're an evil person. I thought that match was fine. Nothing special, sure, but nothing terrible. It elicits such little reaction that people think it's awful when it's really meh. You were probably just shocked by how much weight Chris Harris went on.

Now, if you want to talk a truly terrible match, let's talk Flair/Michaels. Flair's been past it for what, more than a decade now? No surprises that he limped around link an elderly, arthritic donkey, not even capable of going through the motions half-heartedly like we all know he'd like to. But hey, he had Shawn Michaels. We all know he can put on good matches - at least most of us like to think so. At least the Heartbreak Kid can still go, can still last more than three minutes without losing his breath. And yeah, for a little while the match was almost bearable. And then in happened.

Early on the match, Michaels fucks up and lands ribs first on a bit of "table debris". The wind is knocked out of him, along with any sense and the desire to get Ric through his last match. What follows is Shawn Michaels just about managing to go through the motions while Flair's tired body withers away in front of him in an unrealistic fuck up of a match.

If Michaels wasn't apologising for the awful match he'd subjected Ric (and the world) to and if Flair wasn't crying for the fact that his last match was fucking atrocious, they should have been.

I'll go with Tomko and Styles vs. the Armstrongs. For the love of all things good and holy tell me what the point of this was? No one believed for half of a second that Tomko and Styles would lose. No one. This could have been the NAO out there, which at least would have been interesting. Tomko and Styles beat up an old man and his father. His father never won anything of note in his career, so tell me why he should ahve been on a major PPV? Answer: he didn't need to be. No way, no reason, no anything. Waste of a spot and a title match.

I totally agree with KB. Such a shit match. They were trying to cash in on the father / son thing, a la Dusty and Dustin Rhodes in WCW, but it flopped. They tried playing up the "BG James picks someone ELSE as his tag partner," but by that time, nobody cared anyways. Nobody gave a damn about this match.

I didn't vote the women's head shave match because I was legit into it. I didn't order the PPV, but I sat on WZ refreshing to see who won. I am a big Roxxi Laveaux fans (thought she was SOOOO hot), and when she lost and got her head shaved, I was furious. Legit pissed. Now she looks like a lesbian. Not a hot lesbian, mind you.

And Flair vs Michaels was awesome. I loved it. I realize it was a shit match in the classic sense, but I didn't care. It wasn't match of the year by any stretch, and Flair was obviously so overcome with nerves and emotion (for the 1st time in his career) that he didn't put in his "A" game, but the story was terrific, and the finish was a good one to watch. No way that's the worst of the year.

And Flair vs Michaels was awesome.

Yeah. But it wasn't though, was it?

I loved it.

Really?

I realize it was a shit match in the classic sense,

Any sense really.

but I didn't care.

Oh c'mon. The "I don't care" argument is up there with "get over it".

It wasn't match of the year by any stretch

Quite.

and Flair was obviously so overcome with nerves and emotion (for the 1st time in his career) that he didn't put in his "A" game,

You make it sound like Flair had been regularly stealing shows. Instead, he'd been putting on awful matches. So, he struggled to meet his usual appallingly low standards.

but the story was terrific,

The circumstances it took place under were "terrific", because the WWE sold it as a true legend retiring. There was little story and what there was was piss poor. Flair wanted Michaels to finish his career. I forget why. Maybe because Michaels used to much better than he currently is too. All there was was Michaels calling Flair old yeller - for no apparent reason, might I add. Michaels did a decent job of making it seem like the two had some kind of history together, I'll give that. Impressive, considering they don't.

and the finish was a good one to watch.

Flair couldn't sell the Superkick because he was crying. Sad to see, but not impressive.

No way that's the worst of the year.

Definitely a contender. The most overrated, definitely.

Sammy, I will grant you "over rated." But you want me to wrap this in a nice little TNA-gift wrapped package for you?

Finality.

That's it. More than ANY match of the year, Flair vs Michaels gave us finality. A book was being closed, and closed for good. There wouldn't be "another day." This match gave the fans some closure, and gave us closure on one of the biggest careers in history. That's impressive!

Sammy, I will grant you "over rated." But you want me to wrap this in a nice little TNA-gift wrapped package for you?

Finality.

That's it. More than ANY match of the year, Flair vs Michaels gave us finality. A book was being closed, and closed for good. There wouldn't be "another day." This match gave the fans some closure, and gave us closure on one of the biggest careers in history. That's impressive!

Hasn't Flair returned since? He definitely came back the next night - him and Michaels had a nice hug, if I remember correctly. Everyone broke character and tears were shed. It was Flair leaving that people care about, not the match.

Have AJ Styles, Tomko and the Armstrongs interacted since their match? I think not. That's finality.

Flair vs. HBK, by a country mile.

This was one of the worst matches I think I have watched in a long time. The fact that the WWE, in 2008, would dedicated weeks upon weeks of television time, and a good chunk of their biggest pay per view of the year to this match, is flat out pathetic.

So you have two guys, years beyond their prime, showing us how much they love each other in the ring. If anything, it maade Shawn Michaels look more of his age during this match then ever before. Ric Flair and his terrible mat wrestling in this match was just pathetic. Does anyone remember the wonderful bridging out sequence where both men struggled to pick each toher up? That wasn't for dramatic effect, that was because Ric Flair was incapable of pulling the move off.

Thank you WWE. You wasted a good portion of valuable portions of television time to expose us to this steaming turd you went onto vote match of the year.

Not sure about some of the options, Khali/HHH is pretty good, considering who's involved. As is Jeff Hardy/Umaga, a bit silly, but it's still good.

The Makeover Battle Royal/Ladder match is easily the worst of the lot. The only problem being that nobody will remember it in a few years time. That's goes for the rest, except Flair vs. HBK. Claimed as some sort of classic, it's not. It's crap. It had plenty of emotion, and it was a fitting send off. But it was really HBK having the same match eh's had for the past few years, and Ric Flair not being quite as awful as usual.

It's a good Old Ric Flair match, but a bad match overall.

Reactions: CCS
As I haven't seen any of the TNA matches, I'll have to vote for Hardy and Henry for the ECW Championship at Summerslam. The match started with Hardy getting a few hits in, then he hit the Twist of Fate and went for the pin. Then Tony Atlas pulled him off, therefore giving him the win via disqualification. Terrible match. I don't think it even lasted a minute.

As I haven't seen any of the TNA matches, I'll have to vote for Hardy and Henry for the ECW Championship at Summerslam. The match started with Hardy getting a few hits in, then he hit the Twist of Fate and went for the pin. Then Tony Atlas pulled him off, therefore giving him the win via disqualification. Terrible match.

I don't think it even lasted a minute.

Exactly. It's a minute long, so how can it be the worst match of the year? It wasn't even a match. Hardy & Henry proved that they could work well together, so if WWE booked them in a 30 second match that's hardly their fault.

Voted for HHH vs Khali, because it was awful. The two couldn't produce a good match together, which just highlighed how bad Khali is in the ring. I know he isn't supposed to be technically awesome, but he should be able to carry a good match when it matters, but he didn't do that. On a big stage such as SummerSlam, they should have been able to do a better job, but they didn't. The match was slow, had no good spots and the match didn't sell the story, like it should have.

I voted for the WWE's choice for Best Match of the year. Flair and Michaels was the worst match because of many of the reasons. First, I don't care if Flair is gone, he will probably be back soon enough anyways. I didn't really care about Flair four years, so why would I care if he retired. Everyone knew what was going to happen, those who were hyped had to be Flair fans, and nothing else. The match was sloppy, considering it was supposed to be a big match-up. It had months of hype, for what? A cry fest? This is Wrestlemania, kick Flair in the head on your own time.

i cant believe hardy vs umaga was on the. it is called a falls count any were so do you want them to stay in the ring and fight. then tehre would eb no point and they could do the big power moves in the arena because it would be to dangerous. hardy did his spot jobs umaga dominated they played the roles so i was happy with them. but more me it has to go kennedy vs flair. it was awful . kennedy wasn't at his a game and flair was beign flair so yeah. any more need to be said?

I can't believe that JBL vs Batista at No Mercy isn't on this list. It was literally a 5 minute squash match on PPV with a long, overdrawn segment at the end. That's the sort of crap you have on Raw on a weekly basis, not a PPV, even if it is a C grade PPV.

And if we've got Hardy v Hanry at Summerslam in this list purely because it was 30 seconds long, why is Kane vs Chavo Guerrero which lasted all of 9 seconds, at WRESTLE FUCKIN' MANIA, not listed as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back