Working Out The Best Match In TNA History

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y 2 Jake

Slightly Autistic
Basically you give your top 10 TNA matches. 1 being the top of the list, 10 being the bottom. Matches that in your opinion are the best in TNA history. Give the match, show, year & gimmick. If it's an iMPACT match, give a month and year.

The scoring system is 10 points for 1st place, working down to 1 point for 10th place. At the end of two weeks or so I'll count all the list and there will be a definitive top ten matches from TNA. By definitive I don't actually mean definitive. It's just a game.

Don't just list a top 10, give reasons, discuss until the final 10 is worked out, critique other peoples lists etc.

Please make it clear, if you want to change your top 10 edit your post. Cheers.

#1 Team 3D & Rhino vs. Jeff Jarrett & A.M.W. (Genesis 2005)
#2 Chris Harris vs. James Storm (Sacrifice 2007 - Texas Death Match)
#3 A.M.W. vs. Triple X (Six Sides Of Steel - Turning Point 2004)
#4 Samoa Joe vs. Kurt Angle (Genesis 2006)
#5 Christian Cage vs. Kaz (Genesis 2007 - Ladder Match)
#6 Gail Kim vs. Awesome Kong (Final Resolution 2008)
#7 Jeff Hardy vs. Sabu vs. Rhino vs. Abyss (Bound For Glory 2005 - Monsters Ball #2)
#8 A.J. Styles vs. Samoa Joe vs. Christopher Daniels (Unbreakable 2005)
#9 L.A.X. vs. Christopher Daniels & A.J. Styles (No Surrender 2006 - Ultimate X)
#10 Abyss vs. Sabu (Turning Point 2005 - Barbed Wire Massacre)​

You really are severely autistic, huh? Well, I refuse to give you my list. I've spent too many years crafting it in my brain to blow it on something like this.

Not really; I've never actually thought about it at all, really. I'll make it up as I go along then.

1. Kurt Angle vs. Jeff Jarrett, Genesis 2009
Seeing as I don't think you're allowed house show matches on the list - I got so see a Kurt Angle moonsault in person, motherfucker - I'll just chuck this slightly worse version of their match together up here. Still was pretty good. My favourite TNA match ever? Fuck it, why not?

2. LAX vs. AJ Styles & Christopher Daniels, Six Sides of Steel, Bound For Glory 2006
In my opinion, decisively better than their Ultimate X match together. Thrills, spills, a fork, Hernandez and the rarest of things - an AJ Styles botch. "You fucked up!", they chanted. Oh, how I died slightly inside. Exhilarating.

3. LAX vs. Triple X, Ultimate X, Bound For Glory 2007
It's not really one of the major matches in TNA's history, but, for my money, it's one of the better LAX spotfests, and so it ranks very high on the list. H&H get off all their signature moves and Senshi and Skipper look comparatively poor. Senshi misconstrues Hernandez's massive frame swinging from the cables as an offensive manoeuvre, stumbling away after making light contact with his shin. Classic.

4. AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels vs. Samoa Joe, Unbreakable 2005
It had to make an appearance eventually, didn't it? It featured a monkey flip into a hurricanrana... with three motherfuckin' guys! As if that wouldn't get on everybody's list. And, of course, AJ wins, spreading the myth that the X Division title actually did matter. It's a lie, damn it! A dirty, filthy lie!

5. Christian Cage vs. Kaz, Genesis 2007
Because Christian's half decent, yet Kaz is incredibly shit, yet they manage to put on a pretty fantastic ladder match. Christian, of course, is the glue holding it all together. If Kaz had a less competent opponent, he'd have looked just as cookie cutter as he really is. Does that make a good match? I'd say so.

And... I'll do the other four when I feel like it. Soon, hopefully.

This looks like a damn good thread especially considering I've tried to work out a list like this to justify why I still watch TNA but here we go

1) Samoa Joe vs. Christopher Daniels vs. AJ Styles, Unbreakable 2005
-This match was my official intro to Samoa Joe and I wasn't disappointed in the least. Not only consider it the best match in TNA history but one of the best wrestling matches I've ever seen.

2) LAX vs. Styles/Daniels, No Surrender 2006-Ultimate X
-Four of my favorite wrestlers in a match where TNA actually innovated something? Absolutely

3) AJ Styles vs. Chris Sabin vs. Petey Williams, Final Resolution 2005-Ultimate X
-For the life of me I had no idea why they let Petey Williams go. This might be one of his best matches in TNA period but that's another story for another day.

4) Team TNA vs. Team International vs. Team Japan vs. Team Mexico, Victory Road 2008
-Yeah, it probably is the biggest spotfest ever but the match itself was damn entertaining and I saw some moves that personally, I've never seen before. BTW, why isn't Doug Williams using that Chaos Theory suplex as a finisher?

5) Kurt Angle vs. Abyss, Turning Point 2008-Falls Count Anywhere
-Kurt Angle can drag a good match out of anybody and considering that Abyss is pretty damn good in his own right I expected, and actually got, a real good match

6) Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe, Genesis 2006
-Awesome match which, to me anyways, put to rest the idea that Kurt Angle was on his way downhill.

7) Jay Lethal & The Motor City Machine Guns vs. Johnny Devine & Team 3D, Against All Odds 2008-Street Fight
-With the stipulation of the X Division ceasing to exist if Lethal and the Guns lost, the outcome was obvious but this was another intro to me, this time with the Guns.

8) Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles vs. Christian Cage vs. Chris Harris, Slammiversary 2007-King Of The Mountain Match
-One of these things is not like the other........with that being said my favorite King Of The Mountain match so far

9) Triple X vs. AMW, Turning Point 2004
-To this day I still love Triple X's music and I wish TNA had done more with them when they reunited last year.

10) LAX vs. The Rock N Rave Infection vs. The Motor City Machine Guns, Destination X 2008
-One thing I like about TNA is that it seems that sometimes their number one contenders matches are just as good, if not better, than some of the actual title matches.

That's the list...Lemme know what you guys think

I've got to mention Raven vs Jeff Hardy from Lockdown 2005. A tables match in a cage doesn't sound like it'd work well, and it shouldn't have, but these guys made it work. Not the best ever, but easily top 5 for me.

It's actually really hard to narrow it down to just 10. There are so many great X-Division matches that fall below the radar.

10. 'Phenomenal' AJ Styles and 'Fallen Angel' Christopher Daniels vs. LAX, Homicide and Hernandez - Ultimate X from No Surrender 2006 for the TNA World Tag Team titles: This was just a great match and my favourite Ultimate X (I thought I'd include only one Ultimate X in my 10 and it was a difficult choice (Styles vs. Williams vs. Sabin, xXx vs. LAX and the 10 man form Victory Road '07 get honourable mention)).

9. Kurt Angle vs. 'Samoan Submission Machine' Samoa Joe - Turning Point '06: If you ask me, I think this was the best of their original trilogy and in fact their best in TNA. It didn't have the same atmosphere that the Genesis match had but it was a better match than it.

8. 'Phenomenal' AJ Styles vs. Petey Williams - Genesis '05 for the X-Division title: This was another really fun match and, in my opinion, Petey's best in TNA. It is a match that truely defined the X-Division.

7. Kaz vs. 'Instant Classic' Christian Cage in the finals of the Fight For the Right tournament - Ladder Match from Genesis '07: This was the best Ladder match TNA have ever put on and should have been the launching pad for Kaz in TNA (unfortunately he got landed in a feud with Black Reign). It was also Christians best match in TNA (so much so that he took a spot or two from it for this years MITB).

6. 'Phenomenal' AJ Styles vs. 'Samoan Submission Machine' Samoa Joe - Turning Point '05 for the TNA X-Division title: This was a fantastic, hard hitting match which went at a terrifying pace. Really excellent match.

5. 'Wildcat' Chris Harris vs. 'Cowboy' James Storm - Texas Death Match from Sacrifice 2007: This was an insane brawl, the amount of blood was unreal. A fitting end to such a great tag team.

4. Kurt Angle vs. 'King of the Mountain' Jeff Jarrett - No Disqualification match from Genesis '09: The intensity level in this match really did match the feud, it was a hard hitting all action contest and was an early contender for match of the year this year.

3. 'Phenomenal' AJ Styles vs. 'Fallen Angel' Christopher Daniels - Iron Man 1 form Against All Odds '05 for the TNA X-Division title: Much better than Iron Man 2 from Bound For Glory that year if you ask me. Brilliant match that AJ won in overtime.

2. 'Wildcat' Chris Harris and 'Cowboy' James Storm, Americas Most Wanted vs. 'Primetime' Elix Skipper and 'Fallen Angel' Christopher Daniels, xXx - Losing team must disband from Turning Point '04: This match was bloody, brutal, violent, great crowd and the Elix Skipper cage walk make this match the second best in TNA history.

1. 'Phenomenal' AJ Styles vs. 'Fallen Angel' Christopher Daniels vs. 'Samoan Submission Machine' Samoa Joe - Triple Threat match from Unbreakable '05 for the TNA X-Division title: What a match! Words do not describe how great this match was. The pace was unmatched and if any match in TNA was truely awesome, this would be it.

A lot of matches were left out as it really is difficult to cut it down. Honourable mention goes to the final cut: Kurt Angle vs. Abyss - Falls Count Anywhere match from Turning Point '08.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back