• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WM 29: The Undertaker vs. CM Punk [Streak Match]

The best way to go with Punk's promo's is to continue to blur the kayfabe line as he does so well.

He doesn't have to beat the Undertaker, he doesn't have to pin the Deadman. He won't need to hit the GTS on the Phenom. He simply has to out-wrestle a near 50-year old Mark Calloway. He can reference the pictures from the house show and how out of shape 'Taker looks. "I just hope I'm not gonna have to kill you before these people realise you're not undead."

There's LOADS of ways 'Taker could respond... But I'd love him to come out to the ring and say something along the lines of...

"Punk, or should I say Phil? You're absolutely right. Mark is beat up, bruised, broken. Mark's not as strong as he was, not as fast as he used to be. Mark's not in great shape & Mark's getting old. But to borrow a phrase you'll be familiar with; It doesn't matter. You won't be wrestling Mark. When that bell chimes, when the lights go down and the people stand up, make no mistake, I AM the Undertaker. I AM the Phenom. You'll be wrestling the Deadman. I will NOT 'go to sleep'. You will rest in peace."

It's easy for Taker and Punk, in this feud. What I would do if I was 'Taker is talk about how great Punk is (to hype up Punk and make it believable that he can beat the streak) but that the difference between him and the others who tried to beat the streak is that Punk doesn't respect the fans, doesn't respect those that came before himself, and that all he cares about is CM Punk. Taker can then say, that's why Punk won't beat him.

Punk on the other hand, should just talk about being the best in the world and that the streak hasn't been broken because he's never tried. Others tried two and three times and failed but they weren't as good as CM Punk. Punk can talk about his 430+ day reign and how Undertaker never did that and that is more impressive than the streak. He should also bash Taker by saying he's just an old man living in the past and that Punk's legacy will live on forever when he beats the streak.

I think Taker will most likely go the route that he respects Punk and his reign as champion, but I think he may also talk about aligning himself with Heyman and about how Punk's talk of change turned to being solely about change for the good of CM Punk, I wonder though if he'll reference his two previous opponents in comparison with Punk in any fashion.

I hope Punk doesn't mention his age or his gut, that only makes him look worse when Taker beats him, I'd stick to running down the guys who failed and the numbers will clearly be a central theme, he can cite that none of the others had reigns of his length and it looks like he may be going to use his Straight Edge stuff in this feud as he mentioned it for the first time in a while last Monday. I just hope they don't have him make some comment about Paul Bearer for cheap heat, something like "After WrestleMania 29 the streak will be deader than Paul Bearer" Punk and Taker don't need that type of thing to build a good feud.

I just hope they don't have him make some comment about Paul Bearer for cheap heat, something like "After WrestleMania 29 the streak will be deader than Paul Bearer" Punk and Taker don't need that type of thing to build a good feud.

I understand people not wanting Punk to use Bearer to get heat. I actually, personally mind you, don't want him to use Bearer in that fashion either. If he does, however, I don't see a problem with it.

It's been done before. Most recently with Jerry Lawler's mother. Punk is the heel and he is supposed to be a bad guy in kayfabe. So why not have Punk say something disrespectful about Bearer? It get's Punk booed and 'Taker cheered and that's what the heel is supposed to do. 'Taker being the professional that he is probably wouldn't have a problem with it and Bearer was an old school wrestling guy. I'm sure Bearer himself wouldn't have a problem with it.

Again, I don't want Punk to use Bearer, but I don't see a problem with it if he does. Remember, this is Professional Wrestling after all.

The only way I see the streak ending, and there's no guarantee that it ever does, is if this is 'Takers last match. He put on a very good match last year with Triple H, but he's been recovering for the last 11 months. Up until recently there were reports that he wasn't sure if he could go at all this year. If there was this much uncertainty in Mark Calaway's head about another match, how much more difficult will it be next year, one year older?

If 'Taker thinks he has two more matches in him, and he can go this year and finish his run at WrestleMania 30, then there's no way the streak ends this year. But if he truly believes that this will be his last match, and he's not going to try coming back next year... then there is a small chance that the streak will end.

Let's assume, hypothetically that this will be 'Takers last match. It won't be Vince who decides if the streak ends or not. It will be Mark. The only way it ends is if he wants it to end. And the only person who will beat it is a guy who Mark wants to put over. And wants to end his streak. Is CM Punk that guy? Who knows. Maybe. But really, none of us know.

As for this argument that CM Punk isn't a big enough star to end it. That's pure BS. No CM Punk isn't a huge crossover mainstream star. But guess what? Neither is John Cena. Cena might be the biggest WWE star, but most people who don't really follow pro wrestling don't know or don't care who John Cena is. John Cena is only a superstar in the "WWE Universe". And in that same universe... CM Punk is just as big of a star.

But if this isn't 'Takers last match then it's all moot. The streak will only end if it's his last match and if he wants it to end.

^ good post. But one thing on my mind .. and maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit

but Taker wrestled HBK at Mania's 25-26 &Triple H at 27-28

and with CM Punk getting the next crack at the Undertaker for WM 29 .. ANY chance we see Punk vs Taker again at WM 30?

of course all depends how this match at 29 goes, but I'm liking the intensity so far to Taker-Punk, even done with short notice (of not knowing if Taker would be up for this year's Mania)

and agree completely on the Cena bit. He's the biggest star in the WWE right now, but people need to stop putting him on this "untouchable platform" he'll never be in the league of a Rock, Hogan, or Stone Cold ... even if he beats all 3 in the same night. I just don't think he's that kind of transcendent figure.

but he's a company guy and I do give Cena a TON of credit for being willing to lose 2 WM's back to back.

I wasn't a fan of the direction they went in tonight, it feels like they are just going for a straight forward face vs heel angle with Punk being all Dick Dastardly and stealing the urn.

I'm sure the match will be good but I am thinking it may well be different to the last 4 Mania's in terms of a contest, Punk's actions veer towards getting destroyed and I wouldn't be surprised to see it become a casket match as the whole thing feels very 90's.

I wasn't a fan of the direction they went in tonight, it feels like they are just going for a straight forward face vs heel angle with Punk being all Dick Dastardly and stealing the urn.

I'm sure the match will be good but I am thinking it may well be different to the last 4 Mania's in terms of a contest, Punk's actions veer towards getting destroyed and I wouldn't be surprised to see it become a casket match as the whole thing feels very 90's.

The feud is going in the right direction.

Punk doesn't have the pedigree of someone like HHH and HBK. Outside of kayfabe, he also doesn't have Vince backing him like Shawn and Hunter did. People were somewhat split on whether Taker could beat each of those guys twice in a row.

Everyone knows Punk's going down, so they're making it interesting. It's an interesting storyline now. Punk isn't the guy who can straight-up challenge Taker's streak. He has to have a backdoor entrance. This is it.

Taker's going to win, but making it personal makes it fun. If it's going to be predictable, and it will be, it needs to be fun as well.

The feud is going in the right direction.

Punk doesn't have the pedigree of someone like HHH and HBK. Outside of kayfabe, he also doesn't have Vince backing him like Shawn and Hunter did. People were somewhat split on whether Taker could beat each of those guys twice in a row.

Everyone knows Punk's going down, so they're making it interesting. It's an interesting storyline now. Punk isn't the guy who can straight-up challenge Taker's streak. He has to have a backdoor entrance. This is it.

Taker's going to win, but making it personal makes it fun. If it's going to be predictable, and it will be, it needs to be fun as well.

I just find it boring but then I never cared for most of Takers 90's feuds that were booked in this fashion. I had hoped it would be done in a different way, in a way that made Punk look less cartoony, but I am guessing this isn't the initial plan as if Bearer hadn't died there wouldn't be an urn for Punk to steal or any death disrespecting for Punk to piss Taker off with.

I just find it boring but then I never cared for most of Takers 90's feuds that were booked in this fashion. I had hoped it would be done in a different way, in a way that made Punk look less cartoony, but I am guessing this isn't the initial plan as if Bearer hadn't died there wouldn't be an urn for Punk to steal or any death disrespecting for Punk to piss Taker off with.

Punk doesn't look cartoony, he looks like a heel. That's what he is.

The IWC has a huge problem accepting that. I'm not necessarily grouping you in with them, just stating a fact. If you're part of that group... not sure what to do for you.

He's doing what a heel does. He isn't going to transcend professional wrestling. He isn't a tweener waiting to break through that glass ceiling Stone Cold style. He's a heel, doing heel things.

People need to deal with that and enjoy it.

Him being a heel is what it is, his stuff with Cena and Rock worked just fine for me, I just felt tonight's stuff belonged in the 90's, it came off corny, like I said he reminded me of Dick Dastardly the way he slinked away with the urn hamming it up.

Doesn't really matter to me as I'm not planning on buying Mania anyway, just giving my views on the feud's development tonight.

As for Punk just being a heel and not a tweener, he certainly is acting pure heel without a doubt, but he has to go to extreme lengths just to get heat and even tonight after pissing on a guys memorial he still got more chants than boos against Kane in the main event, despite getting heat 3 hours earlier, it just seems that as good as his heel work has been it's pushing against the grain a lot of the time.

This match will be amazing due to the fact that Taker trusts Punk. The reason I say that is I heard an interview with Paul Bearer from 4 months ago. The interviewer asks if Paul had ever met CM Punk. Paul Bearer tells the story about how he was visiting a few years ago and sitting with Taker and Kane. They ask "Paul, have you met CM Punk?" PB says not yet, Taker yells "Phil, come here for a second." After they talked for a few minutes Punk left. Taker looks to Paul and says "He's one of us"....

Wanna talk about getting the rub? There is no more higher praise than the Undertaker comparing you to himself.

This match will be amazing due to the fact that Taker trusts Punk.

That's probably an important factor in other ways, too. At Undertaker's age and the condition of his body, he needs to be in the ring with a guy who knows how to work a match smoothly. Consider: the past two years, he's been in with Triple H who, despite his seeming roughneck style of wrestling, actually knows how to work a match so that his opponents don't get hurt. (By the way, the same can be said of Undertaker himself.....his style and methods are so exact and methodical that, while 'Taker himself often gets hurt, his opponents rarely do)......and while 'Taker and Triple H put on a terrific match, no one got hurt, right?

Contrast this to Brock Lesnar. I think of John Cena's bloody mouth in that brief encounter last year and come to the conclusion that a lot of guys probably dread the thought of working with Brock; his style is about as smooth as sandpaper and the possibility of real injury is strong. After all, Brock is used to doing this stuff for real, right? I would think WWE would be very reluctant to put 'Taker in there with Brock.

For the same reason Triple H was a good opponent for Undertaker, C.M. Punk probably is, too. He knows how to work and his repertoire is controlled enough so that 'Taker can work well with him.....probably putting on a hell of a match as it comes down.

Of course, Punk would surely want to avoid those side-kicks to the legs of 'Taker. That's the kind of thing the old boy just doesn't need. We don't want blood clots forming during a major Wrestlemania event, do we?

I look forward to Undertaker vs. Punk. Should be a great contest to watch.

Punk doesn't have the pedigree of someone like HHH and HBK.

He's the guy who held the WWE Championship for over a year. He may not have the legacy that either HHH or HBK does, but he certainly has the pedigree.

If it's going to be predictable, and it will be, it needs to be fun as well.

And this is where I take issue, I suppose. To me, it's not predictable. The matches vs HBK and HHH were much more predictable then the match vs. Punk is. To reference it once more, Punk just recently held the WWE Title for over a year. His losses to the Rock were both controversial, and he had several (visible) clean pins over Rock at Elimination Chamber with the ref bumped. In non-title matches during that time, he rarely lost as a heel.

And now, as someone who's been wrestling full-time for the past year, he faces someone who hasn't wrestled in a year. There's your element of unpredictability. When he faced HHH at 27 and 28, HHH's wrestling was sporadic. One part-time wrestler beating another in back to back years.

Not the case with Punk, and, I suppose, the same problem I had with Rock beating Cena last year. Rock hadn't been wrestling save one time in the past year, and he beat a John Cena who had been wrestling and, theoretically, should have been at the top of his game. Same with Punk. Undertaker isn't wrestling end-of-his-career HBK, or part-time HHH. This is Punk, who has been holding and defending the WWE Title for the past year.

Kayfabe-wise, this should go to Punk. It won't, as this is the time of the year where Undertaker simply doesn't lose. But if there's ever a time where he should, and it should be believable that Undertaker loses, it's now. He won't, but it's a possibility I can buy into.

The amazing start that the Blackhawks are on got me thinking, when is not winning also not losing. The Blackhawks have started not losing in regulation in there first 27 or so games. Now they have lost 3 games in shootouts, but their record read 24-0-3.

Would fans be mad if "breaking the streak" wasn't a loss by Taker, but some sort of draw/No contest/double countout/double dq...He doesn't lose, but he doesn't win. At 20-0-1 he can still be called "undefeated" and Punk can claim he put the only blemish in his record. Also setting up a rematch if Taker wants to work a second match at Summerslam of survivor Series.

Sorry colosi, that would be the worst option available. You dont send the fans home unfulfilled and wanting more, especially at Mania.

Ive always said the streak should end on Takers last match, as long as it was to the right guy. PUNK IS THE RIGHT GUY.

However we all know that wont happen, which is fine. I understand business. But I do expect a quality match. I like how Punk does things that makes him stand out from the rest. Im sure he'll have something up his sleeve to make for a memorable Wrestlemania moment, or match for that matter.

As a fan thats all you can ask for.

Although I would be stoked if the WWE brings back that unpredictable nature and creates another jaw dropping moment that will have fans and casual fans talking for years to come...ending the legendary streak.

I don't know about any of you but so far I find the storyline (If you can even call it that) quite boring. I feel like the only doing any work in keeping it even remotely interesting is CM Punk (kudos). The Undertaker seems to be living up to his nickname (Deadman) quite literally. All he has done in the past few weeks is walk and show off his evil glare. I almost feel like 'Taker is trying to sandbag Punk and it is really starting to piss me off. There is a lot more he could be doing without really doing anything like pyrotechnics for example. I, for one, hope that CM Punk ends the streak because if that's all 'Taker is now it's not worth it.

The amazing start that the Blackhawks are on got me thinking, when is not winning also not losing. The Blackhawks have started not losing in regulation in there first 27 or so games. Now they have lost 3 games in shootouts, but their record read 24-0-3.

Would fans be mad if "breaking the streak" wasn't a loss by Taker, but some sort of draw/No contest/double countout/double dq...He doesn't lose, but he doesn't win. At 20-0-1 he can still be called "undefeated" and Punk can claim he put the only blemish in his record. Also setting up a rematch if Taker wants to work a second match at Summerslam of survivor Series.

I've thought about that previously and thought they would actually do it with HBK or Triple H. The thing is thougn, that wouldn't break the streak, and really wouldn't change anything. When they talk about the streak it's not about winning it's usually that "Undertaker has never lost at Wrestlemania" and that would still be the case, if the match were to end in a draw. What would Punk get out of it? He can't say he beat the Undertaker at WM. Undertaker can still say he never lost at WM, so we'd be at the status quo.

right undefeated is still undefeated .. so a draw wouldn't mean much. plus the whole "Undertaker never lost at WM" still holds true

and you're right about Punk, he can say he didn't lose, but winning is the thing here

and if it's a draw, nobody won you're even with your competitor

I've thought about that previously and thought they would actually do it with HBK or Triple H. The thing is thougn, that wouldn't break the streak, and really wouldn't change anything. When they talk about the streak it's not about winning it's usually that "Undertaker has never lost at Wrestlemania" and that would still be the case, if the match were to end in a draw. What would Punk get out of it? He can't say he beat the Undertaker at WM. Undertaker can still say he never lost at WM, so we'd be at the status quo.

Punk can brag that taker couldn't beat him, I only like this finish if Taker wants to work at Summerslam or Survivor Series in a rematch.

This is why I am not a fan of the streak. I assume I am in the minority on this, but I think Kane should have ended the streak in 1998. Kane was a MONSTER when he debuted. But what gets lost on the shuffle is if I remember correctly that was only Kanes 3rd TV match (vs. Mankind at Survivor Series 97, and No Way Out of Texas vs Vader Feb 98). but i guess that might mean Taker may have retired 3-4 years ago if he didnt have the streak.

Him being a heel is what it is, his stuff with Cena and Rock worked just fine for me, I just felt tonight's stuff belonged in the 90's, it came off corny, like I said he reminded me of Dick Dastardly the way he slinked away with the urn hamming it up.

Doesn't really matter to me as I'm not planning on buying Mania anyway, just giving my views on the feud's development tonight.

As for Punk just being a heel and not a tweener, he certainly is acting pure heel without a doubt, but he has to go to extreme lengths just to get heat and even tonight after pissing on a guys memorial he still got more chants than boos against Kane in the main event, despite getting heat 3 hours earlier, it just seems that as good as his heel work has been it's pushing against the grain a lot of the time.

You're not taking into consideration the fact that his opponent is The Undertaker, an iconic wrestler who, despite his legacy, excellence, and acumen, is home to an entire character that "belongs" in the 90s. A supernatural shaman of sorts who can appear as if from no where and magically illuminate a darkened arena. Punk is clearly having fun with a feud he has slim chances of coming out on-top of. What would you rather him do?

The WWE, for better or worse, had the unenviable task of making a former cowardly heel champion seem like a viable threat to the company's most sacred, seemingly unbeatable record against a bona fide legend. I'm supposed to buy Punk as a real streak threat after he got whooped by The Rock twice? And then again by Cena on Raw? Sorry, but Punk needed to do more than beat three directionless former champs after hurling out a challenge to get people to buy his attempt to climb wrestling's Everest.

(Although, people have climbed Everest successfully, so that analogy doesn't truly work, but it sounded nice as I was typing it.)

Also, look around at the other major feuds taking place. There is actually some room for a darkly fun, cartoon-ish feud on the card. Rock v. Cena is greatness v. redemption. Swagger v. Del Rio is The Man v. The People. Brock v. Trips is strictly revenge. WWE can afford to have Punk act a little ridiculous in trying to solidify himself as a true threat.

As far as Punk still getting cheers...well, duh. Punk is a hero to the "cool" fan. The pro-heel fans revel in his dastardly deeds. Punk could have dropped trou and defecated in the entryway during Bearer's memorial and he'd still get cheers. Punk is trying to get THE MAJORITY of fans to boo him. I dig Punk and I'd have been cheering him if I was in the audience, regardless of what he says or does. He's a great heel and I love his work. A smattering of cheers and chants is not going to change his character's direction during this feud, nor should it. Furthermore, what "heel" gets completely genuine heat from 100% of fans? Let's face it, the wrestler that garners the most heel heat is oftentimes John Cena! Say what you want about Brooklyn and the pro-heel market of NYC, but I was at TLC and Cena was virtually crucified verbally by the crowd. I haven't heard boos like that outside of a Yankees/Red Sox game EVER.

Tangentially, I'd love to know what the plans for this feud were BEFORE Paul Bearer passed away. I'm curious to know how this would have played out without the inclusion of the Bearer storyline after his untimely passing.

If Punk beats 'Taker and ends The Streak, he probably won't do it alone. The Shield will most definitely play a part, because I think WWE is looking for ways to cement the 3 Shield members in the Wrestlemania main event title picture. This would also be another huge feather in the cap of Punk, and a true passing of the torch moment. When you think about it, there isn't anyone else deserving of getting that sort of rub on the roster. I think fans need to consider the very real possibility of 'Taker retiring and Punk actually ending the Streak, once and for all, and adding 3 new names to the main event scene in the process.

I reckon The Shield could have an influence in this match, it would certainly make it more exciting. If The Shield have already ran through whoever they face at Mania, and then come out and give Undertaker the 3 man powerbomb, you could be looking at an "OMG" moment as big as 'Taker kicking out of the Tombstone @ 27, and the Superkick/Pedigree @ 28.

Whether they directly influence the outcome is another matter, but I would have that segment booked in the match, even though The Shields connections with Heyman & Punk have been diluted of late, it could still make sense.

EDIT: Or even a different take on this, a swerve. Punk is getting dominated, or has just dominated a large portion of the match, but Taker makes a comeback... Heyman gets frustrated and is seen to be motioning towards the back/crowd. The Shield storm the ring, but Punk (having already bemoaned The Shield previously for their involvement at the RR), climbs to the floor and fends them off shouting 'Ill do it on my own!!!' or something more profound. Thus, potentially turning face in the process, and the match could continue on from there, Punk is still made to look strong also then, having fended off The Shield (particularly if they've won their match).

This would refresh Punk again, which we know he likes to do, keep it fresh and exciting, and would also give both him and The Shield a new angle after WrestleMania. It's been a while since a good story has developed at WrestleMania, this could be the one. Then, at Extreme Rules... The Shield vs. CM Punk, Ryback and Sheamus/Orton/Show/whoever... The Shield is broken.

Just an idea.

I just would love it to be better than their last matches. This Wrestlemania seems to be the one for 'rematches'.

Not as excited as I would be for this WM for some reason.

The Undertaker's streak should not be broken under any circumstances. This is one of the few things that sets Taker apart from every one else and shows why he is such a big time player. Taker knows that, creative knows that, and Punk knows that. The streak should not end and I don't know if CM Punk would let creative end it.

If it does end (which it shouldn't). It should be in a clean loss. This is not a regular world title match. Taker's streak has grown to be more often than not the most important match on the card at Mania in these last couple of years. Having it end due to outside interference would be the worst possible way to end it.

CM Punk should break the streak just because he had to drop the title for reasons that I'm still trying to make sense with, but just can't. WWE could've had Cena beat Ziggler and win the title at Rumble with Rock losing his WWE title match. You would still have Cena vs. Rock and you wouldn't have to worry about someone not appearing at talk shows without the WWE title. Plus, it would've allowed Punk to continue his reign and garner more interest in the World title. As for Elimination Chamber? Well, who cares...

Either way, that's all hindsight now. I still say Punk should win, although with Bearer's death I wouldn't be surprised if Taker did win. I just don't see the need in continuing a streak after the 20-0 mark. Just have him lose the streak now or just stop giving him opponents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back