William Regal...criminally misused or not?

Brilliance In Supremacy

Getting Noticed By Management
Many of the up-and-coming talents of today were trained by Regal. In fact, right behind Benoit, he's probably the most technically sound wrestler with a WWE contract. He plays his character extremely well, his matches are always looked forward to by fans of actual wrestling, and he workrate is excellent. I believe, and many wrestlers and wrestling fans would back me on this one, that William Regal is the most misused wrestler in the WWE today (what I mean by that is talented wrestlers not getting what they deserve). In-ring stiffs like Batista, Big Show, and Cena are currently the champions. But no!!! Leave out talented wrestlers like Regal for any sort of title run. So aren't we seeing a great talent like Regal in the run for any title?:cuss2:

Discuss...

He's an awesome wrestler. The problem he has is that the majority of wrestling fan's at WWE event's dont like tecnical wrestling. The only place that a Regal match get's the pop's it deserves is in England, and even if he was in a quick squash he would still get a great reception. Unfortunatley he's been turned into a comedy character and he's being jobbed out far to much, to be considered a real Heavyweight title contender.

I would love it if they gave him a lengthy U.S. title reign. He could do similar to what Lance Storm did in WCW and cahnge the title to the U.K. title. That would get him over as a killer heal and an absolute God in England. Unfortunatley the only title I see him getting is a Tag Title and they dont mean anything these day's.

Y 2 Jake said:
He's an awesome wrestler. The problem he has is that the majority of wrestling fan's at WWE event's dont like tecnical wrestling. The only place that a Regal match get's the pop's it deserves is in England, and even if he was in a quick squash he would still get a great reception. Unfortunatley he's been turned into a comedy character and he's being jobbed out far to much, to be considered a real Heavyweight title contender.

I would love it if they gave him a lengthy U.S. title reign. He could do similar to what Lance Storm did in WCW and cahnge the title to the U.K. title. That would get him over as a killer heal and an absolute God in England. Unfortunatley the only title I see him getting is a Tag Title and they dont mean anything these day's.

yea that would be mad cool but i dont see it happening i see him getting the US title with the push hes getting, or the tt championship but i like the fact he is not a whipping boy anymore

Regal needs to change that ugly face gimick..for fans to start liking him..He is a good technical wrestler..but he is also slow. As for a the TT..I dont know how many partners he has got in the past..but He already lost 2 of his guys (Paul and Eugene). Now..WTF..did i just see him with another guy? I for one think the dude is gay and suck so bad..thats why he keep bring guys to help him boost his rating.

I thought I read somewhere that Regal was having heart problems and possibly was going to need a transplant.

they should keep it simple and make him into a thug again... that wx8 persona.. where brass knucks were used... he is gr8 but his gimmiks r rubbish...either be a badass who will crack ur jaw and win titles or he can be a dumbass of a wrestler and keep gettin squashed by new wrestlers...

seanvangster said:
Regal needs to change that ugly face gimick..for fans to start liking him..He is a good technical wrestler..but he is also slow. He already lost 2 of his guys as a TT..(Paul and Eugene). Now..WTF..did i just see him with another guy? Regal suck so bad..thats why he keep bring guys to help him boost his rating.

So what if he doesn't have speed, speed doesn't always account to be a "awesome" wrestler. As for him putting over Paul Burchill and Eugene, well for that I applaud the guy... he has done whatever management has told him to do even though he has really been made to look like a fool in recent years. If you've seen his match with Chris Benoit at the Brian Pillman memorial show you would have respect for the guy. I personally think Regal could have been World Heavyweight Champion if he would have been given a better direction. Though lately his direction has been alot more smash mouth and kick ass which is good better than any of these silly gimmicks or directions he has been given since coming to WWE.

He is a great technical wrestler no doubt about it, but he's old man. The WWE has enough established stars, they need to start building more on the future.

i never really envisioned Regal as a World champion, although he definately has the goods and is world reknowed as one of the best...i just dont think he fits the mold as a WWE World champion...but, he has held practically every other title in the fed, was commisioner for awhile, has served as manager/mentor for wrestlers in need of that extra little rub...frankly, i think that the fact that after all these years he is still in the fed, and still visible is testament to what McMahon thinks of the guy...a world class talent

i have thought for awhile that once his in ring career was over he would be absolutely perfect to take Jerry Lawler's job...he knows his shit, and is genuinely funny...no doubt the man is a future WWE Hall of Famer

Regal is a fantastic wrestler, but like somebody else pointed out, he's old. He's just too old to be in the main event. WWE needs to focus on building the future, and continue to push the younger stars. I wouldn't mind seeing Regal with the US title but there's really no reason to give him a world heavyweight title.

Regal can go with the best of them, even at his age. The problem is that he's never given the kinds of opportunities in high-profile matches or gimmick matches that allow a lot of the other talent to get over. I'd like to see what that guy could do in some of WWE's main matches and against some serious talent. I'd still like to see him go one on one with Shawn Michaels as I believe it would be a great mix of styles. Whenever I think of Regal, I think of his amazing match with Sting back at the GAB 1996. That match was major proof that Regal could go in his youth. I think that as he's entering the twilight of his career, they shouldn't waste him languishing in the midcard. I've gone over and over whether or not they should use him in a greater capacity, and I'm now convinced that he should be pushed higher up the roster as Smackdown needs all the help it can get.

Y 2 Jake said:

That would be awesome if he made the U.S. title into the U.K. title!!

Unfortunately WWE dosen't push older talent like younger superstars. Ric Flair is still trying to get one last title run for years and still hasn't been a seious contender, and there are many underused talent in WWE that I wished weren't stuck in mid-card or jobbing to people not as good.

I have noticed a few people mention William Regal's age. To them I would like to point out that Current World Heavyweight Champion Batista is older - his birth year is 1966 while Darrin Matthews' (Regal) is 1968. But that's not what WWE has in store for him since he is English and wrestles with a more technical style and because he isn't 6'6". It's a shame, really. He has all the tools where he should be effectively main eventing, and it really disappoints me to know that he never has. I would like to see him go back to being a thug and whipping out the brass knuckles at any given moment.

I like Regal a lot. He is a great old school throwback and knows more about the art of wrestling than anyone in WWE except Benoit and possibly Finlay. The thing that is holding Regal back is the same thing that holds most of the other good wrestlers back and that is their inability to sell tickets and put on good ratings. Regal is a good midcarder in WWE, but pushing him anywhere higher would mean that he would eitehr need to step up his game, have something happen to him that would put him over big with the fans, or it wouldn't work. Right now, I think he is being used better than in a while with the whole "Knight" gimmick with Booker T and Finlay. Now that he is single again I would like to see him get a US title run, but I can't really see it happening. Maybe if he'd team with Finlay they'd make good tag champions since their styles are similar.

Why is this discussion going on? Regal had heart problems and unfortunately will never be able to wrestle ever again. He delivered a very heart felt speech to the London crowd.

iamwrestling said:
Why is this discussion going on? Regal had heart problems and unfortunately will never be able to wrestle ever again. He delivered a very heart felt speech to the London crowd.

Which is why he's just beaten the tag champs I suppose. If you ever watched Smackdown you might know this. Regal is an amazing technical wrestler and needs to be challanging for the us title. Maybe WWE will bring Birchall back from ovw to team with Regal and Dave Taylor as an English heel faction

Isnt regal like extremely hurt. And he like needs a new liver. With all respect to the guy. Y2Jake summed it up. People wanna see John Cena and DX wrestling. DX is great. But not a lot of people wanna see tech wrestli9ng/ Its just a fact. I mean muy favorite match on the No mercy PPV was Regal vs. Beniot.

ek2222 said:
Isnt regal like extremely hurt. And he like needs a new liver. With all respect to the guy. Y2Jake summed it up. People wanna see John Cena and DX wrestling. DX is great. But not a lot of people wanna see tech wrestli9ng/ Its just a fact. I mean muy favorite match on the No mercy PPV was Regal vs. Beniot.

That's just speculation about Regal's condition. People want to see DX and John Cena wrestle? Maybe if your like 12 year's old. Not alot of people want to see technical wrestling is a FACT? SINCE WHEN. That's bullsh*t. I've been to MANY event and watch wrestling all the time and they will comment on how rubbish this shit is whether it be Hogan/Rock or Goldberg/Lesnar or anywhere along the line's of that. Trust me watch Benoit v Angle from the 2003 Rumble or even most recently Angle v Joe where fan's chant their appreciation for the tehcnical wrestling involved or even better a standing ovation. So please don't inform us that it is a FACT that not alot of people want to see technical wrestling.

i know this is of the topic but how do you start a thread or can some one post this thread

Day of reckoning wii?

is their going to be a third installment in this series or will smackdown vs. raw come over?
If this is going to happen when?

He could get over as a traditionalist who hates all these young punks "disrespcting" the business. Screw that too old crap! Batista is like 45 and finley is earning a spot near the top of the ladder. I think wwe needs an old school heel.

If William Regal is too old, then why the fuck is Batista a Champion?

In my opinion, I'd rather see Regal a World Champ over Batista ANYDAY...And ANYONE, with the right hard work and direction can make a WWE World Champion. Regals' got all the tools, it's just the WWE; They don't know how to get him over and they don't realise how to utalise his potential.

Personally, I'm waiting for Chavo to shut the hell up and step aside so William Regal can challenge Benoit for the US TITLE and win it. Other than that, I've always envisioned Regal and Finlay as Tag Champs; even with Taylor but he's injured!

william regal is another person whos talent is misused. he is a great wrestler and i agree with whoever said benoit is the only better technical wrestler witha wwe contract. regal should be a champion

I think everyone forgot that Rey Mysterio became World Heavyweight Champion at Wrestlemania 22 so I think one of Europe's and WWE's finest mat grapplers should be worthy of some near Main Event spotlight and age? Who care's as long as they ain't packing any serious nagging injuries and keep a good run going like Regal has since recovering from his problems, then why the hell not? DDP did it over in WCW and he started off in the business pretty late.

Code Red said:
I have noticed a few people mention William Regal's age. To them I would like to point out that Current World Heavyweight Champion Batista is older - his birth year is 1966 while Darrin Matthews' (Regal) is 1968. But that's not what WWE has in store for him since he is English and wrestles with a more technical style and because he isn't 6'6". It's a shame, really. He has all the tools where he should be effectively main eventing, and it really disappoints me to know that he never has. I would like to see him go back to being a thug and whipping out the brass knuckles at any given moment.
In terms of Regal's age in relation to Batista's, it'd never be a case where I'd say I'd EVER want Batista pushed in front of Regal. Regal needs to be given more seasoned main-eventer types to work with (like when he worked a program with Sting in '96). He hasn't had the privelege of doing that with regularity since his WCW days as he's been buried in the WWE $hitstorm with bad gimmicks and bad booking. Regardless of Batista's age, he just doesn't have the talent. Whether he's 50 or he's 20, he sucks either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back