Will there ever be another Andre vs Hogan moment?

There are two other moments that stand out for me personally in my 20+ years of watching wrestling:

The face off between Rock and Hogan. It was unbelievable. At the time I hated Hogan because of all he'd done to ruin his career, and I didn't care for the Rock because I didn't have the proper respect for his range of abilities. But the two of them at the beginning of the match, that was something special.

"I love you, I'm sorry." I almost cried, it was so beautiful.

Those two moments, along with the slam, are indelible moments in Wrestlemania history. Only the fall from the cell, in my mind, falls in with that crowd of wrestling moments that I will carry to my grave, they were that spectacular.

There are two other moments that stand out for me personally in my 20+ years of watching wrestling:

The face off between Rock and Hogan. It was unbelievable. At the time I hated Hogan because of all he'd done to ruin his career, and I didn't care for the Rock because I didn't have the proper respect for his range of abilities. But the two of them at the beginning of the match, that was something special.

"I love you, I'm sorry." I almost cried, it was so beautiful.

Those two moments, along with the slam, are indelible moments in Wrestlemania history. Only the fall from the cell, in my mind, falls in with that crowd of wrestling moments that I will carry to my grave, they were that spectacular.

Yeah the fall from Hell In A Cell will stick in people's minds forever from The Undertaker & Mankind

Ric Flair career ending match will too. His was similar to Andre's becuz it was basically a passing of the torch from 2 wrestlers that are in the Greatest of all Time list.

As far as bodyslamming Andre... That was shit... Hogan was also a HUGE steriod abuser, so it takes away the awesomeness of bodyslamming Andre.

Hogan vs Andre was fantastic but Hogan vs Rock was even better. Lets face it the only thing thats really memorable is the slam. The rest of the match was nothing great. You can watch it now and just be like it was ok. The thing was that that particular moment put Hulk Hogan into a place where no one was before.

Hogan vs Rock was by far the most electric match EVER. Watch that match. Listen to the crowd. Pay attention to the storytelling that the match did. There might not have been a 'slam' but the whole match was just epic.

Hogan vs Austin 7 -10 years ago would be equal but not if it happened now. The only match that would be able to have the same effect now would be rock vs cena.

If you look at Hogan vs Andre as being more about the moment in wrestling history instead of about the match, then in my opinion, there have been two occasions to challenge (although perhaps not surpass) the main event at Wrestlemania III in importance

July 6, 1996: The Formation of the NWO - the night in the summer of 1996 that the biggest fan favourite ever seen legdropped Randy Savage, told all the fans to stick it and announced that "We're taking over!" is easily one of the most important moments in wrestling history. It initiated the Monday Night Wars between WWF/E and WCW, influenced the formation of stables such as DX and because many fans wanted so much to love the NWO it enabled the rise of the antihero, eventually harnassed by Stone Cold Steve Austin

September 22, 1997: The First Stunner on the Boss - you could say that this also is a consequence of the formation of the NWO but when Stone Cold Steve Austin first stunned Vince on , it unleashed a wave of popularity that no one could have predicted. Austin 3:16 had been popular since he won the King of the Ring, throughout his rivalry with Bret Hart and up to his winning of the WWF title at Wrestlemania XIV but when he and the WWF went into the stratosphere. The feud between Austin and McMahon pushed professional wrestling to the brink of mainstream acceptance.

LOL @ ppl putting hogan vs. the rock match down....the rock is one of the best the bidness had to offer...and him against the biggest icon in wrestling hulk hogan is the answer to the thread starter's question. that was THEE moment.

We've had other Andre/Hogan moments.
Stone Cold and The Rock
The Rock and Hogan
I think if Rock and Cena or Rock and HBK happened you could add that to the list too.

I think we have had many bigger moments that Hogan Slamming Andre:

1. Ladder Match at WrestleMania X
2. Warrior beating Hogan at WrestleMania VI
3. Bret Hart vS Shawn Michaels “Iron Man Match”
4. Austin winning the King of the Ring and his “Austin 3:16” speech
5. Vince McMahon on WCW Nitro
6. The Rock vS Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania X8

I think we have had many bigger moments that Hogan Slamming Andre:

1. Ladder Match at WrestleMania X

LAWLZ. A mid card match for a mid card title doesn't rank anywhere near what Hogan and Andre was. Razor Ramon is all but forgotten and it's arguable he's even a top 50, let alone top 100 wrestler of the last quarter century. It was a good match, but not remotely close to that moment.

2. Warrior beating Hogan at WrestleMania VI

This is getting closer. Theoretically, it should have been just as big of a moment, seeing it was the first time Hogan had lost cleanly in years, and the first time ever for the title. However, if the Warrior didn't flop like David Arquette as champion, the moment would have been bigger. The Warriors ultimate failure as WWE champion cheapens this moment.
3. Bret Hart vS Shawn Michaels “Iron Man Match”
It's an impressive feat, but pretty much you have to be either a Hart or Michaels fan to appreciate this match. Hell, I'm a life long WWE fan, and I find this match to be a complete and total bore. I feel the last two Hour long Iron Man matches were done better and more entertaining then this. The match isn't even remembered, the entrance of Michaels and the celebration where he tells Earl to get Bret out of his ring are the only memorable things of this match.[/QUOTE]

4. Austin winning the King of the Ring and his “Austin 3:16” speech
Probably the strongest one of the lot. This one phrase right here jump started the Attitude Era, and was the launching point of Steve Austin's career. The quote, blasphemous and all, touched a chord with a certain type of audience, and it exploded into Austin's Era of dominance. It's probably the most important promo of the last 15 years, maybe. The Bash at the Beach one month later steals a lot of this moments thunder.

5. Vince McMahon on WCW Nitro
As far as non wrestling moments, this is probably the strongest thing possible. In fact, I can't remember anything that has shocked me more then this. Luckily for me, I was relatively internet free at the time, as I was in college. However, flipping Nitro on and seeing McMahon there was just jaw dropping to say the least, and it had phones ringing like crazy all throughout our household. When you and a small group of people end up conversing with at least 30 different people within five minutes, something huge has happened and this was easily the biggest non wrestling event to occur, possibly ever.

6. The Rock vS Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania X8

The match was great, for nostalgia. It might be the next closest thing to Hogan vs. Andre in terms of passing of the torch. The thing that takes this moment away though, a lot of people don't feel the Rock should have been in this match. If this were Austin, I think it gets universal appeal. If the Rock stays in the WWE longer then 4 months after this match, this match sky rockets in value. If the Rock were in the business today, and he was the guy, then this match goes up even more. Unfortunately, the Rock left, and this moment is diminished.

For me, I think the possibility of a Rock return to face off against John Cena would rank pretty highly up there in terms of memorable moments. However, the WWE is going to have to convince the hell out of a guy that is sought after in Hollywood for a one off feud against Cena, and I don't think it'll work.

Cena needs the rub from the Rock, but I think another big moment that coul dtake that place, as far as the non mainstream fan is concerned, would be The Undertaker 17-0 vs .John Cena next year at Mania. Th epossibility of Cena ending the Undertaker's streak at Mania would solidify the man as the Man in the business. It would be an identical situation to Hogan and Andre, but on a smaller scale.

Cena needs the rub from the Rock, but I think another big moment that coul dtake that place, as far as the non mainstream fan is concerned, would be The Undertaker 17-0 vs .John Cena next year at Mania. Th epossibility of Cena ending the Undertaker's streak at Mania would solidify the man as the Man in the business. It would be an identical situation to Hogan and Andre, but on a smaller scale.

Actually it would be a bigger scale as far as The Undertaker's streak is concerned. Andre's 15 year undefeated streak was a lie. He was indeed defeated more than once in those 15 years. & he was also bodyslammed beforehand too.

The Undertaker's streak is real. It's a Legacy on it's own that's been getting built for the past 18 years.

Everyone knows about his streak also. It would send shock waves thru the wrestling industry.

Nobody even knew about Andre's streakbecuz it wasn't even real. Just something that Vince thought would be cool to make that moment even bigger, just like him exaggerating the 93,000+ attendance. It was only 78,000+ in reality.

But yeah I do actually think that John Cena is gonna be the man to end his streak. Vince is building him up to a mainstream star in the meantime until it happens & when he gets into the mainstream as a household name The Undertaker will be on the verge of retirement & end his streak.

These are many quotes from Jim Ross basically saying that The Undertaker is the modern-day Andre the Giant:

"Taker's legacy in the WWE will be every much as significant as Andre the Giant's when all is said & done."

"The Undertaker’s WM legacy will never be equaled"

"Taker has solidly achieved “Andre status” (there is nothing higher than that) in the WWE"

"Taker has established himself as one of the top 5 all time in the WWE and may well rank with Andre as the top two based on longevity and productivity."

"As I have mentioned in the past, Taker compares very favorably to Andre in many ways. By the time Taker hangs ‘em up his legacy may even super-cede Andre’s."

"In 34 years, I have never met a wrestler who has earned the respect of more of his peers than The Undertaker"

He also says that The Undertaker has reached Andre's level in his blog on WWE.com on April 1st ------>

"I first saw Taker competing in Dallas, helped facilitate his arrival in WCW and then saw him leave Atlanta for the big time of WWE to become "The Phenom" and perhaps the most feared and respected man in WWE history. I used to think that no one would ever approach "Andre status" until the The Undertaker kept evolving and standing the test of time and 16 men who all tried to end 'WWE's most impressive streak ever'. Andre stands no longer alone, as "The Boss", but now stands shoulder to shoulder with the Demon of Death Valley on a pedestal that, as of today, has room for only these two bigger than life individuals." -Jim Ross

So we have a real modern-day Andre. We could potentially have another Hogan-Andre moment ......

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back