F*ck Friends, Rather die wiv ma AK!
Click here for rewind #2 Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar at XX
-------------------------------------------------
My WrestleMania Rewind #3 is..
Hulk Hogan vs. Andre The Giant from WrestleMania III

Promo and Match Highlights
[YOUTUBE]uCQ6MqIFb6o&playnext=1&list=PL414FB998DBCACD10[/YOUTUBE]

The Questions I would like to ask about the match are:
  • Was the feud going into the match good?
  • Was the match entertaining?
  • Was there good story-telling? (Psychology)
  • Was there any good spots?
  • How was the crowds reaction throughout this match?
  • Length of match? (Was it too short? or too long?, could more time have been added to make the match better? etc.)

Was the feud going into the match good? It was. Hogan and Andre was buddies, but Bobby Heenan got inside of Andre's head, claiming Hogan was trying to take his spot light. Hogan refused many times to face Andre until that episode of Piper's Pit.
Was the match entertaining? For me, it was. It was slow, but that was expected from Andre.
Was there good story-telling? (Psychology) Yes. You had Hogan trying several times to try and take down Andre, and finally managing to knock him down with a clothesline.
Was there any good spots? The bodyslam heard 'round the world is THE spot everyone remembers, but I also liked the spot outside where Hogan tried to piledrive Andre onto the concrete only to be back body dropped onto said concrete.
How was the crowds reaction throughout this match? It was solid.
Length of match? (Was it too short? or too long?, could more time have been added to make the match better? etc.) I don't think anything about the match should have been changed. It was done perfectly.

Was the feud going into the match good? The fued was one of the first of it's kind. Now "best buds" in wrestling turn on each other all the time, hell it's expected. When Andre turned on Hogan and walked in with Heenan, it felt like real betrayal and not just a wrestling storyline.

Was the match entertaining? The match was as good as those two could put on. I would say it was Andre's last really good match. His mobility was on a decline and from then on just got worse. The fact that Hogan was never the greatest in-ring performer and he carried most of the spots showed that Hulkster was focussed on delivering a good match.

Was there good story-telling? (Psychology) Obviously the story was: Will Hulk be able to get Andre off his feet? It was the typical David vs. Goliath. Hogan had to use his quickness along with his strength to compete with Andre. The attempt of the body slam, and then finally pulling it off in the end was a fitting end to the colossal triumph.

Was there any good spots? Obviously the body slam that still is one of the most famous spots in the industry and having over 93,000 people rise to there feet on that spot just added to it's alure.

How was the crowds reaction throughout this match? The largest WM crowd ever was there for that match and maybe the crowd didn't add to the match the way the audience did when it was Hogan/Rock, but they did what was expected which was cheer for the good guy. 93,173 Hulkamaniacs helped lift Andre up for that slam and popped big time when he crashed down to the canvas.

Length of match? (Was it too short? or too long?, could more time have been added to make the match better? etc.) The match itself was a little short, but considering there wasn't alot that Andre could do, they were still able to tell the story and give the fans what they came to see which was the happy ending. So I really don't think more time would have made it all that much better, I suppose they could have had one more failed attempt of the slam, but Hogan barely kicked out the first time, which led the fans to believe that another failed attempt would be the end.

The fact that this happened in 1987 and is still brought up all the time should answer all those questions automatically. The storytelling was nothing like it is today, but back then the stories were simple and believable because they didn't have to be constantly trying to top what they did yesterday or worry about weekly ratings.

Back then we had The Rock N Wrestling cartoon show and every Saturday morning we watched as Hulk and his best friend/sidekick Andre spoiling the exploits of the evil Roddy Piper and his gang each week. This along with the WWF telling us Andre and Hogan were best friends was all us kids needed back then. You also have to remember heel turns barely ever happened back then so when they took place they truly meant something. Also I think it had been about 8 years since Andre had lost a match at least on t.v. anyways.

Anyways here you have the hottest star in the business watching his best friend who is also the baddest man in the business turn his back on him. All because Heenan hated Hogan and had convinced Andre that Hogan was a phony.

The match itself was incredible in my opinion. It was slow and lethargic just like you would expect when the unstoppable force meets the unmovable object. If you want to know about the crowd reaction just look at all those flash bulbs going off at the start of the match during the epic stare down. Not a knock on today's wrestling because I am not trying to start an old school is better than new school debate but you could never create an angle this perfect in today's WWE.

•Was the feud going into the match good?
I say yes, Andre and hogan were best friends and Andre attacked him.
•Was the match entertaining?
The match was ok, Andre is big and can only do so much and Hulk Hogan is not the best in the ring but it wasn`t the worst.
•Was there good story-telling? (Psychology)
Absolutley! Hogan being a big strong guy not being able to slam Andre or do much was very good and when he finally clothslined him i got chills.
•Was there any good spots?
It was heard around the world.
•How was the crowds reaction throughout this match?
They seemed to be into it, cheering and booing at will.
•Length of match? (Was it too short? or too long?, could more time have been added to make the match better? etc.)
Nah, for what they could do the length was fine.

Was the feud going into the match good?
This was yet another variation of an angle used over and over and over by wrestling promoters over the years; ie one "best friend" turns on another due to jealousy or envy or something to that effect. This particular case was a bit different in that, in North America, Andre the Giant was such a huge babyface with such a strong crowd following even at that late stage in his career. It was a shock for many longtime fans to see the erstwhile gentle giant become angry w/his former friend and demand a title shot, all of course helped along by the presence of Bobby "the brain" Heenan. In my opinion, yes, the feud was great, and the angle was perfectly executed by Andre and Heenan to come across as the heel.
Was the match entertaining?
While you couldn't call it a technical masterpiece, as by that point ATG was in pretty bad shape, just having come off back surgery, he did as well as he could have done at that point, even hitting Hogan with some pretty stiff reverse knife edges at one point in the match. Hogan, of course was selling everything that Andre threw at him to make the aging Giant look like an unstoppable monster, picking his spots carefully in which to work offense into his part of the match. I can still watch thsi match and not be bored to tears.
Was there good storytelling(psychology)
This was by far the best part of the match. As most everyone knows, Andre had been billed as undefeated for fifteen years in the WWF/E, and the basic psychology of the match, and which sold the most tickets in wrestlemania history, was could Hulk Hogan defeat the unbeatable Giant? In this respect, Andre and Hogan pulled this off beautifully during the course of the match, with Hogan wearing a look of ashen fear and shock for the bulk of the match, while Andre was AWESOME as the monster heel, berating Hogan during the bulk of the match and chidng the crowd w/typical heel behavior. Even Andre's offense,while not fancy or slick made sure that the crowd absobed what they were supposed to: an undefeated leviathan of a wrestler dominating the man that he believed had held him back. The stare down at the beginning was awesome to behold before the two of them made contact. Great stuff.
Were there any good spots?
Of course the bodyslam at the end was the most memorable spot, but the spot of the failed bodyslam in the very beginning stages of the match set up everything that was to follow. Also the reversal of the piledriver into the back bodydrop on the outside was pretty good too, considering Andre's back was junk at the time.
was the crowd into the match?
Yeah I'd say that they were. The boos that Andre recieved on the way to the ring were pretty intense and he had all kinds of trash chucked at him, which was all kinds of comical because while all this was going on, Andre was waving to the crowd. The pop at the end when Hogan slammed Andre then pinned him was deafening.
Length of the match?
Actually it was about as long of a match that could have expected to see, given Andre's health at that point, there was just enough drama and back story to keep things interesting, so I'd say that the length was about right.
In retrospect, thsi match still holds up relatively well considering the limitations of Andre at this point in his career, and of course, the historical significance of Andre passing the torch and giving the rub to Hogan is what this match actually represented to the business, At least in my opinion.

Oh yeah. Talk about anticipated!!! When Andre turned, it was shocking. I was about 7 and this was the biggest thing in the world to me. No one gave Hogan a shot and it was perfectly hyped. This match/feud MADE the 80's.

Yes. It was no technical masterpiece but you just couldn't help being drawn in. What was gonna happen next? Hogan almost lost immediately with the failed Body Slam attempt. Then the slam at the end can only described as Legendary!

Was there good story-telling? (Psychology)

The story was Andre was big and undefeated. Hogan was the new thing, but Andre was gonna stop his reign on top of WWF and finally take the World Title. I'd the say the story telling in the match fit that angle perfectly.

Was there any good spots?

Probably THE spot!! Hogan Bodyslamming Andre! Biggest Body Slam ever and it will not be duplicated.

How was the crowds reaction throughout this match?

Insane. Everyone was on pins and needles. The crowd was nothing short of electric.

Length of match? (Was it too short? or too long?, could more time have been added to make the match better? etc.)

I think the timing was perfect. Not too long, not too short. It was shorter then I expected though. Given both of these guy's size and lack of a deep move set, it was never meant to be an hour long battle.

It was amazing.. Back then, when did we ever see someone turn on their best friend? this was just huge and also Hogan was the most over guy in the business.. Him being involved in this match was also just epic.. Andre undefeated for 15 years and Hogan had held the title for a few years.. It all came down to WrestleMania III.

I would say, for the 2 wrestlers.. It was not bad.. I wouldn't say it was a disgrace.. I could watch that match over and over and not get bored.. It just had that BIG match feel to it and still does..

Was there good story-telling? (Psychology)
Of course there was.. The whole story told was just awesome..

Was there any good spots?
Well, the one that was heard all over the world.. When Hogan slammed Andre.. What else?

How was the crowds reaction throughout this match?
It was huge IMO.. Especially towards the end, when it went in Hogan's favour, he knocked him down, then the slam then the leg drop.. and a huge pin..

Length of match? (Was it too short? or too long?, could more time have been added to make the match better? etc.)
It was more than enough considering the 2 wrestlers.. The length of the match is why I could keep watching this match and not get bored!

The feud going into the match was pure gold. Both hogan and Andre are masters of wrestling storytelling. The lead up to this match was fantastic.

The match itself would be just ok, seen out of context. But if you watched the events leading up to it, how could you not get sucked in?

As for storytelling, see my first answer. It was nearly as good in ring as it was in the lead in.

Good spots? I think everyone here covered this.

Crowd reaction? Anyone who can hear and see can tell it was manic.

Now, as to the length of the match, I have never seen a hogan match that was too short. Hogan's main strengths lie outside the ring. My favorite hogan title match was his last match in WCW . We didn't have to see him wrestle at all. Win/win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back