Will "The Guy" Emerge In All Of This?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
So were closing in on one of the biggest Mondays in pro wrestling history. TNA VS WWE is about to begin, and everyone is as hyped as can be. There's been one question that's been on my mind for a while now....who's going to be "the guy" when this war starts to get into full swing? What I mean by this, who's going to be the one guy who steps up, whether it be in ratings, or the one who just gives you that overall feeling of "he's the man".

As far as WWE goes, I think there are really only two choices.....Randy Orton Or John Cena. Both of these men have been groomed as the future of the WWE over the years, and have had multiple world championship reigns. Cena is the top face in the company, while Orton is the top heel. Orton is currently feuding with Kofi, and Cena is chasing Sheamus for the WWE championship.

On the TNA side of things, I think there's only one choice, and it's not Hulk Hogan. I'm talking about AJ Styles. While the Hogan buzz has helped create some publicity for TNA, they're going to need to rely on their future some day, and right now that man is AJ. He's having a nice reign as TNA world champ right now, but I think TNA is doing a poor job of using their world champion. So much time is being spent on Nash promos, Foley segments, and the Jeff Jarrett/Kurt Angle situation, that you hardly even notice AJ is on some episodes of impact.

So who do you think will be "the guy" to emerge? Orton, Cena, Or AJ?Thoughts? If you disagree with my picks, then feel free to provide your own, and please explain why.

First off, it will be NO ONE from TNA. Also, it is going to be a face. If someone was to emerge "the guy" it has to be Cena, who is already "the guy". He will need to do something so big that he earns the trust/support of ALL fans.

What he needs to do? Stop being stale. They had the ultimate opportunity with Orton to turn him into "the guy" last year, they dropped the ball by adding HHH into the mix, it could have been Orton vs Vince. And Shadow SCSA. He was getting cheered, it would have been perfect. But it was another missed 3:16 moment. Just like with Matt Hardy when he returned from being fired.

I say Cena. He used to be one of the best mic workers in the biz, but then WWE, with a lack of competition, watered him down. Now you're lucky if he makes a knock knock joke in his promos. Cena is a decent mic worker, and he's not the problem why his promos are stale, it's the material that's given to him. With TNA becoming a bigger threat each week, the WWE is gonna be forced to step it's game up. And if they wanna keep Cena as the face of their company (the smart thing to do) then they're gonna have to make sure he's not Dudley Do-Right on the mic. Fans are going to get tired of this Goody Two-Shoes crack Cena's smoking, and it's only a matter of time before they completely turn on him.

AJ Styles won't be the guy because he's shit on the mic. Like, not human shit, I'm talking flying goat shit on the mic. Although he's the best in the ring today. And Orton, well, Orton is Orton.

I say Styles, all he needs to do is work on his mic skills and he's done, he can run rings around Cena and Orton in the ring, with proper development his promos will become good.

On the WWE side I see The Miz or John Morrison (possibly Matt Hardy at a pinch) Miz has great mic skills that puts everyone else tlo shame, he just needs to work on his in-ring skills a bit, John Morrison, the reverse of Miz (good in-ring skills needs to work on the mic) Matt Hardy just needs to get into shape and work a bit more on the stick

They had the ultimate opportunity with Orton to turn him into "the guy" last year, they dropped the ball by adding HHH into the mix, it could have been Orton vs Vince. And Shadow SCSA. He was getting cheered, it would have been perfect. But it was another missed 3:16 moment. Just like with Matt Hardy when he returned from being fired.

Yeah, I will admit WWE blew it by having Orton admit the whole IED thing was an act, but there's a chance Orton's fire can be lit again. His feud with Kofi is going very good, and it's highly likely he'll be put back into the WWE championship picture some where between Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania. Plus, if WWE doesn't screw it up, the Legacy break-up can be huge. So let's not count Orton out just yet.

If they need a true draw to rise out of this war, on WWE's side of things, they will push John Cena. He nearly carried the company for quite a stint, and ratings were consistently good. He is a draw, rather you like to boo him or support him, he's a draw. Cena is the mega star of today, and if someone shall rise out of this, it will be him.

On TNA's side, I believe Hogan will be your draw. If he applies himself like he did in WCW, he could be a very interesting character, and therefore he would be "the man". If he could only be the man he used to, if he could be the draw he used to, he would be the man for TNA.

So who do you think will be "the guy" to emerge? Orton, Cena, Or AJ?Thoughts? If you disagree with my picks, then feel free to provide your own, and please explain why.

It depends on if you mean at the beginning, or longterm. In terms of the beginning of the next ratings war.... Orton and Cena get my vote for WWE's side because they are the top guys in the federation as well as the best heel and face respectively. They were picked to do the Iron Man match, that says it all. Over on TNA's side I would say that AJ Styles and Samoa Joe will probably be the ones to step up as the top face and top heel in the federation because they are two of the best guys in TNA that are not "WWE rejects".

However, in the long run.... we have absolutely NO CLUE what is going to happen. Did any of us know in 1995 that Hogan would turn heel? That the Ringmaster would go on to the legendary feud with Vince as Stone Cold? That Rocky Maivia would become The Rock? No, of course not. That is why I say that in the long run ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN!

That is a little cliche'd to say, but it's true. So many of us have been waiting for the next big era of wrestling, I think it's coming guys. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

WWE, it's Cena for me. He's younger than DX so he'll be around longer then them. Orton is a heel and personally, I don't think he's that good. Me not picking him could be a bias since I don't like him, but he's unlikely. Some of the younger guys like John Morrison and Kofi Kingston could emerge if this whole war goes on long enough.

For TNA, THE guy has to be AJ Styles. There are other players like the MCMGs, Beer Money, Matt Morgan, and Samoa Joe, but they are more insignificant pieces than AJ. Hogan won't be around long enough to be a long term draw, he could draw in fans originally and AJ could keep them around.

Someone should redo this thread as someone who isn't already "the guy" who could potentially show signs of being the guy tonight. Cena and Styles are both the guys already in their promotions, what's the point in talking about them?

My picks: In the hope that Mr. Kennedy/Anderson shows up in TNA, I'm going with him. Of TNA's current roster I look forward to Daniels stepping up more in the main event (although the potential influx of talent tonight might put the kibosh on that) and I would like to see the Pope start breaking out of his shell as well.

WWE: I'm going to be honest. Raw's been awful for months and I don't think even Bret Hart can make it interesting unless he announces that he will put himself in a main event match at Mania against Michaels, which they probably won't do. What else do we got, DX acting like ten year olds, Supercena, and Sheamus. Nothing remotely interesting in my opinion. Assuming they can do something fresh with Jericho, I think he'll get back to being one of "the guys". I'm hoping for Matt Hardy and Dolph Ziggler to step up and show they deserve to be the next "guys" in line.

When you say who can be "the guy" that means, to me at least, who is the best in the business. To me, the best guy in the business is Randy Orton. Hands down he has the most interesting character, he is top-notch on the mic, and his in-ring work is in the top five. A.J. Styles for TNA is great in the ring, but not so great on the mic. I think that, even though I don't like him, WWE is going to have to rely on John Cena as much as Orton. Orton cannot turn face, it's not in his makeup. He probably could do it, but why? He is the best heel in the business. And unfortunately, when competing against another company (TNA), you need a marketable face, and that is (once again, unfortunately) John Cena. I think the WWE needs a fresh face as their top face, but until then, more than likely it will have to be Cena. But watch out for TNA. I have to say, their storylines are not well played out. There angles and interviews seem to move a little too fast, which takes away from the drama. But with Bischoff around, hopefully their guys can get better on the mic. So, I think it comes down to who the fans like more, will it be Orton and Cena (for the time being), or guy like Angle, Styles, etc. over in TNA. I am hoping for good competition between these companies, because good competition between companies is only good for wrestling fans.

I'm going to go really far out on a limb and say the Pope D'Angelo. I never saw him in WWE but he's been really good in TNA. He's not big yet but this guy has star power written all over him. He has more character and charisma than 90% of the TNA roster. He's versatile in the ring. His win over Desmond Wolfe shows TNA is willing to really push him, which puts him ahead of MCMG, Jay Lethal, Hernandez(Gee, let's make him a star by having him do pretty much nothing and hang out with Matt Morgan), Beer Money(Gee, we have two wrestlers who could be main event heels but because of the Main Event Mafia, let's put them in a tag team and forget about them), and of course the X-Division. He has consistently delivered and has made a name for himself with an extremely limited amount of TV time. He is quickly becoming TNA's break out star. I'd say dare say he may have already surpassed Hernandez. Mind you this will not come right away, but I predict he will gradually get more and more over until he becomes a big deal. D'Angelo just simply has that magnetic star quality that makes a good wrestler great.

Cena and Styles are both the guys already in their promotions, what's the point in talking about them?

As far as WWE goes, there is a toss up between Cena and Orton. Remember 2009? Orton was pushed to the moon in one of the biggest storylines WWE has done in recent memory. Orton held the WWE championship a couple of times, and had HUGE feuds with Cena and HHH. Cena on the other hand, was dominant at times, but his push going into the Royal Rumble, No Way Out, and Wrestlemania 25, wasn't as big as Orton's. So there's always a toss up when it comes to those two.

AJ Styles on the other hand, has been the victim of shitty booking at times this year. Yes, he is the future, but there are times where he hasn't felt like the guy last year. I would throw Matt Morgan in there, but he's in a tag team with Hernandez now.

My picks: In the hope that Mr. Kennedy/Anderson shows up in TNA, I'm going with him. Of TNA's current roster I look forward to Daniels stepping up more in the main event (although the potential influx of talent tonight might put the kibosh on that) and I would like to see the Pope start breaking out of his shell as well.

Kennedy sounds good In theory, and while I was a fan of his while in WWE, you have to remember, the guy is VERY injury prone He would probably get a nice pop from the start, and create some buzz, but where would he go from there? WWE never really pushed Kennedy too far, unless you count his US title reign, which wasn't really that memorable. Pope is doing fine. His rebirth in TNA has been remarkable to me because I found the Elijah Burke character VERY boring and stale, but I think he's going to be more of upper-mid card guy.

I'm hoping for Matt Hardy and Dolph Ziggler to step up and show they deserve to be the next "guys" in line.

I like both of these guys, but they've already been given pushes(especially Matt Hardy) and haven't really gone any where with them. For months WWE, put Dolph in the IC title picture, but he never won the title from Rey or Morrison. Matt has already been ECW champion, and since his feud with Jeff, he's been shoved into the shuffle of the mid card again.

I'm going to have to say AJ Styles will be " the guy " in all of this. He is one of the best in the world, and THE best in America right now I'd have to say. Hogan plans on making AJ be as huge as Hogan and Flair, so that says something to me. AJ will obviously be the guy for TNA, he will be receiving a crazy push as a champion now, and have an excellent reign until they let Joe cash in his case.

As for the WWE, I'm going to say it's a toss up between Orton and Cena. Both men have helped the company greatly in recent years with their feuds,storylines, matches, etc. Cena is already the face of the WWE, so that's set too.

Yeah so I'd say the lines are pretty clear. The guys for TNA are going to be AJ, Joe, Kurt, and Hogan pushing behind them. In the WWE it'll be Cena, Orton, Triple H, Jericho, and Taker. Those are my guesses and I'm sticking to them.

on the wwe side i say ted jr, hes good on the mic and from all reports they r gonna turn him babyface soon.

on the tna side, i say matt morgan because it seems as if they r grooming him to be THE GUY

If I had to bet on someone from TNA I would say the one and only Elijah Burke a.k.a. The Pope. He is one of the guys that aren't established enought to become the guy, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Daniels, are already great talents, but they wouldn't become much greater than they already are.

Burke wants to be the guy more than anyone else. He was released from the WWE, unfairly in my view and now he is 'pimping' on TNA and he is definitely one of many reasons to watch iMPACT! every single week, he is a god on the mic, and his gimmick, lame on the paper as it is gets the guy over.

He is one of top talent on TNA right now that hasn't held a single title on the company. I guess Matt Morgan never did also held a championship on TNA, but I don't like him enough, and I don't see in him the talent and potential I see every single week on Elijah.

Great, great in-ring wrestler and overall has all the skills to make it big.

Matt Morgan had a chance to be "the guy" for TNA during his feud with Kurt Angle. That's all been squished now that he's BFF with Hernandez. Maybe after the squash of a match the two had against Stevie and Raven, they might pick that back up, but I doubt it.

I also have to agree with some other people who have chimed in thus far. The Pope D'Angelo Dinero has STAR written all over him. I don't understand his silly face mask (the swine flu worries are over, wtf?) but his promos are the best, bar none. He's got the charisma, the ability, and has been in some memorable matches during his short tenure at TNA.

However, we all have to remember that The Rock and Steve Austin had, well, almost zero wrestling ability during their streaks at the go-to-guys for WWE. I've seen more botched stunners than I can count. "The guy" doesn't necessarily have to be talented in the ring to make it to the top.

For the WWE, I see John Morrison eventually becoming "the guy". There's no doubt that John Cena is already "the guy" and that Orton has been, on and off, "the guy", but no one from SmackDown really stands out in my mind except for JoMo. He hasn't cut any big promos lately, but we all know he's got amazing mic skills and not to mention a GREAT body and hair that should be in Herbal Essence commercials. The Undertaker comes and goes as he pleases, Batista is terrible on the mic, Rey Rey being dominant is kinda laughable, and CM Punk is fading out.

I say D'Angelo Dinero hands down, though he does have a sort of weird feeling for me. Whenever I look back on him, or think about him when I'm not watching him, I never think of him as that big a star. But when he's on my TV screen, when he's pulling out these godly promos, when he's hitting the Dinero Express, when the crowd start chanting "Pope is pimin!", I just sit there thinking, if this guy isn't world champ one day, then Andre The Giant will squash Owen Hart at Wrestlemania 30.
He's got the look, hes got a good physique, a unigue attire, and he had that kind of charismatic LOOK to him. Then as for his mic skills- he never met a mic he didn't like (Rhyme intended, i swear), and his wrestling skills, while nothing awe-inspiring, are plenty for him to put on some great matches. He kind of remind me of The Rock in a way- you see him in the ring, and the crowds behind him and he oozes star power, and if you see him holding a mic you know you're in for a treat. So in my eyes, if the monday night wars escalate to the levels of the 90s, Dinero will be TNA's main man in the end, wether its a fairuytale ending or not.

The thing with being "The Guy" is that you can't be established, and you have to come out of nowhere. Everybody involved is already established. I don't forsee "The Guy" coming out of this at all. I could be wrong though, and that one person could come and take wrestling by the throat. It won't be Cena, it won't be Orton, I don't know who it will be, as there is no guessing in when "The Guy" could explode onto our TV's. All I know is that I will sit patiently by...waiting for "The Guy" to come along.

Matt Morgan had a chance to be "the guy" for TNA during his feud with Kurt Angle. That's all been squished now that he's BFF with Hernandez. Maybe after the squash of a match the two had against Stevie and Raven, they might pick that back up, but I doubt it.

I also have to agree with some other people who have chimed in thus far. The Pope D'Angelo Dinero has STAR written all over him. I don't understand his silly face mask (the swine flu worries are over, wtf?) but his promos are the best, bar none. He's got the charisma, the ability, and has been in some memorable matches during his short tenure at TNA.

However, we all have to remember that The Rock and Steve Austin had, well, almost zero wrestling ability during their streaks at the go-to-guys for WWE. I've seen more botched stunners than I can count. "The guy" doesn't necessarily have to be talented in the ring to make it to the top.

For the WWE, I see John Morrison eventually becoming "the guy". There's no doubt that John Cena is already "the guy" and that Orton has been, on and off, "the guy", but no one from SmackDown really stands out in my mind except for JoMo. He hasn't cut any big promos lately, but we all know he's got amazing mic skills and not to mention a GREAT body and hair that should be in Herbal Essence commercials. The Undertaker comes and goes as he pleases, Batista is terrible on the mic, Rey Rey being dominant is kinda laughable, and CM Punk is fading out.

I think it is alright to bag on the Rock's in ring ability, he was just a showman. He didn't really have much skill in the ring. But Steve Austin, from his early days in WCW, was a damn good wrestler. His matches with Bret Hart were some of the best during the 90's, no question. His matches with the Rock always looked good, and made the crowd pop like crazy. And in his later days, he and Kurt Angle put on some damn good matches. I think it is totally unfair to call out Austin's in ring ability, seeing no one knew he could talk until he got his push DUE to his in ring ability.

I definately feel if the Pope was allowed to be straight pimpin' right to the top of the card, we'd have the next Rock on our hands. It's just that he has to get through the nWo. Good luck with that...

WWE wise, you've got Kofi, Morrison, Miz, Ziggler, Bourne, Punk, but the problem
is that apart from Punk, none of them have have been given a chance to branch out.

Look at Kofi, all he needed was one clean victory in that 3-month feud with Orton and they didn't even give him that.

So at this point, all we can do is guess. The fact is there's been no indication of a star on the rise...

If you mean "the guy" as the breakout star of this new potential Monday Night Wars? Then yeah I am going to agree with everyone on here that D'Angelo Dinero 'The Pope" has that magnetic star power and charisma to get himself over as one of TNA's main stars. His promo style does remind me a bit of The Rock as mentioned by someone earlier. For TNA, Matt Morgan and Hernandez still have a chance if given a program to work with and feud that is credible. Guys like AJ, Joe, and Daniels are the future of TNA as well but they are already partially established. Honestly I really think Beer Money could be HUGE singles stars in TNA if given an opportunity. Roode would be a great top heel if given a chance to go back to his Millionaire prick gimmick against Storm who reminds me of a mix between HBK and Austin with his Southern style gimmick. Those two in a serious feud after a break up would elevate both to great things as well.

As for WWE I would go with this new influx of superstars consisting of Miz, Morrison, Kofi, Ziggler, MVP, Shamus, and McIntrye. All of these guys have the potential to be big in a year or so and honestly I have the most hope for MIz and Morrison. Both are doing wonders upon their breakup and have all the tools to be maineventers, if not held down by Triple H and the politics of WWE. I really cant see Triple H breakign down and giving The Miz the opportnity to be a world champion in WWE but thats to be seen I guess.

If you mean "the guy" as the breakout star of this new potential Monday Night Wars? Then yeah I am going to agree with everyone on here that D'Angelo Dinero 'The Pope" has that magnetic star power and charisma to get himself over as one of TNA's main stars. His promo style does remind me a bit of The Rock as mentioned by someone earlier. For TNA, Matt Morgan and Hernandez still have a chance if given a program to work with and feud that is credible. Guys like AJ, Joe, and Daniels are the future of TNA as well but they are already partially established. Honestly I really think Beer Money could be HUGE singles stars in TNA if given an opportunity. Roode would be a great top heel if given a chance to go back to his Millionaire prick gimmick against Storm who reminds me of a mix between HBK and Austin with his Southern style gimmick. Those two in a serious feud after a break up would elevate both to great things as well.

As for WWE I would go with this new influx of superstars consisting of Miz, Morrison, Kofi, Ziggler, MVP, Shamus, and McIntrye. All of these guys have the potential to be big in a year or so and honestly I have the most hope for MIz and Morrison. Both are doing wonders upon their breakup and have all the tools to be maineventers, if not held down by Triple H and the politics of WWE. I really cant see Triple H breakign down and giving The Miz the opportnity to be a world champion in WWE but thats to be seen I guess.

This is interesting, I notice a lot of you are going with The Pope D'Angelo Dinero. Yes, he does seem like the one who would have the most potential to be that guy who can "break through" but I don't think it'll happen. Pope is built to be an upper mid card guy, and maybe have some X-division title runs. I really don't see him breaking into the main event picture. It's already too crowded with AJ, Kurt, and others. When I say the others, I'm talking about Matt Morgan and Hernandez. Their tag team will break up sometime, and when it does, I think they will be put back into the title picture, and let's not forget about Samoa Joe. Joe has the title shot from Feast or Fired, and even if he doesn't win upon his cashing it in, he will surely be put back into the title picture.

There's also another guy who I think will go further than Pope first, Desmond Wolfe. He debuted in a HUGE way by feuding with Kurt Angle, and the two went on to have a series of pretty damn good matches. Plus, he already had a title shot against AJ on IMPACT a little while ago.

Well right now for TNA, I see The Pope has the ability to be one of the break out star and kinda has that "it" factor similar to what Jeff Hardy had when he was in WWE that made him a main-eventer. Matt Morgan is also one and I thought that after his program with Kurt he'll be a full fledged main eventer but his fire kinda died down after that but we'll see what happens after his run with Hernandez. I'll also choose Desmond Wolfe but he's kinda lacking that something when he's doing his promos.

And as for WWE or RAW specifically, I'd have to choose The Miz. this guy can cut a damn good promo and has a tolerable in-ring work so he'll work. Well John Cena is a candidate but I thought he already had his break through way back in mid 2005-2006. He already had a couple good runs with the title and can draw the kid audiences. But if he is indeed the future, then the future will suck unless he changes his very stale persona.

As far as WWE goes it seems to be whoever the suites like seeing the glass ceiling they have there. But if it wasn't like that then CM Punk would be my top choice. Im digging the Punk Flock thing myself, I hope they grow as large as 10-15 very similar to Age Of The Fall in ROH, they could have a bunch of brainwashed groupie soldiers. Punk has youth/health/talent/charisma and a huge upside, it's just to bad he gets pushed down to mid-card whenever he loses a fucking title. In TNA asides from the 2 biggest obvious choices in Styles and Angle ima say Beer Money. Yeah that's a awkward choice but it makes sense. Jeff Jarrett is always claiming their the best tag team in the world, so point to obvious and prove it! They are good no doubt but the best? That's pushing it seeing as I dont see them as even the best tag team in their own company. But they have ample opportunity to prove me wrong, as long as they dont break up as I heard to be rumored. Jeff Hardy is another interesting selection as we dont even know if he's gonna be in jail or not a month or 2 from now. I would enjoy seeing AJ/Jeff 1 time just to see it, keep him out of the X Division and maybe put him in a blood feud with Homicide, that just sounds intriguing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back