Who's the face of TNA?

Zeven_Zion

King Of The Ring
We all know that the face of the WWE is John Cena. He's the one being loaded with a lot of the interviews, he's attending all kinds of events, all the hoopla. It's him, that's it.

But who's TNA's face? There is no official number one face in TNA, is there? I immediately thought of AJ, even though he's a heel. He's the epitome of TNA and everything it stands for.

So that led me to the thought that there isn't such a guy. So here's a question.

Should there be a face of TNA?

A man that's on all the posters, the guy who attends important events and all the media things that a guy like Cena does. It's one way to market your product. Especially if you go the same places where Cena goes. Creates a bit of a buzz and might alarm some fans that there's another company in town, because a lot of people don't even know ( or care ) that TNA exists.

Should there be one young buck who's pushed to the freaking moon? Or is TNA too small to do that right now?

I for one think that there shouldn't be only one guy who does all the important things. It should only be the guy who holds the World Title. I remember back in the day that the only guy who had such priviledges was the champ. That's why he's the champ. He was on the magazine covers, he was doing all the photoshoots, commercials, a plethora of media appearances. It added to the title's prestige and importance.

I believe that what WWE's doing is hurting the credibility of the entire roster and the World Title itself. What's the point of having Champions if you only go behind one guy and one guy only. Even if a face is your champion, the people still know that this certain guy is better because he's made to look better in and outside of the ring.

What do you guys think?

this goes back to what Josh was saying on Chair Shot Reality about how its confusing why the fans don't know who is face and who is heel and it changes every week. I think What TNA needs to do is do a better job at creating the stars build them up and then put a championship belt around them and then they would lead the company. I don't think just because TNA is small that's the problem, the problem is that they don't know how to market themselves and maybe its because they don't have enough money for marketing.

Do you think a guy like RVD is capable of taking the company to the next level. Remember how christian became champion and then decided not to renew his contract, that's because he felt like he was a champion in a small pond. TNA has all the tools, but they don't know how to use that tool, and They have Hogan he should show them how to be a champion in the ring and out of the ring, help the company grow better. All i can say is that they got the tools but don't know how to use them

this goes back to what Josh was saying on Chair Shot Reality about how its confusing why the fans don't know who is face and who is heel and it changes every week. I think What TNA needs to do is do a better job at creating the stars build them up and then put a championship belt around them and then they would lead the company. I don't think just because TNA is small that's the problem, the problem is that they don't know how to market themselves and maybe its because they don't have enough money for marketing.

Do you think a guy like RVD is capable of taking the company to the next level. Remember how christian became champion and then decided not to renew his contract, that's because he felt like he was a champion in a small pond. TNA has all the tools, but they don't know how to use that tool, and They have Hogan he should show them how to be a champion in the ring and out of the ring, help the company grow better. All i can say is that they got the tools but don't know how to use them

The thing you said about the tools is absolutely correct. I'm a bit biased, but I think that they have a more talented roster than RAW or Smackdown, they just don't know how to use it.

As far as what Josh said about faces and heels - that's complete bullshit. I've been watching TNA for over a year now and each and every week the faces are faces and the heels are heels. I don't know what's SO confusing about it.

And to answer your question ( if RVD can bring the company to the next level ) - I think he can. Shocker. RVD is a talented guy, he can really go in the ring, but could work on his promos. RVD needs something new and fresh about him if he's to fit in TNA with all the cool, young guys.

Now, RVD CAN do it - but he won't. He's a great performer but he never tapped his true potential.

As for guys who can run with the ball? AJ, Samoa Joe, Daniels ( when he returns ), The Pope, Desmond Wolfe, Robert Roode and Alex Shelley ( if and when they go single ), Mr.Anderson and surprise surprise - Brutus Magnus. I see something in that guy.

That's 8-9 talented guys who can make it happan. They have the mic skills and the inring prowess to be champions and to be GREAT champions. Men that could be AMAZING main eventers. WWE, on its best day, never had more than five. That really tells you something.

But who's TNA's face? There is no official number one face in TNA, is there? I immediately thought of AJ, even though he's a heel. He's the epitome of TNA and everything it stands for.
True.

Should there be a face of TNA?
Yes and no, to me there should be 2 faces of TNA, just like there's two sides to a coin, so too should there be 2 sides to TNA.

A man that's on all the posters, the guy who attends important events and all the media things that a guy like Cena does. It's one way to market your product. Especially if you go the same places where Cena goes. Creates a bit of a buzz and might alarm some fans that there's another company in town, because a lot of people don't even know ( or care ) that TNA exists.
No, I don't think TNA needs a Cena. The problem with having one guy be representative of the entire company, means that all your stock gets placed on him. For example, Hulk Hogan was the face of the WWF. He left and everyone spent years trying to find the new face until they landed on Austin. When Austin was around they were already set on building up his replacement the Rock. Unfortunately both left and they spent their time trying to find the next guy and landed on Cena. When you put all your eggs in one basket, there's a lot of downsides.

Should there be one young buck who's pushed to the freaking moon? Or is TNA too small to do that right now?
It's got nothing to do with TNA's size. It's just a bad idea, one guy who rules over everyone discredits the rest of the roster and should that guy retire, quit, etc. Everyone's fucked.

I for one think that there shouldn't be only one guy who does all the important things. It should only be the guy who holds the World Title. I remember back in the day that the only guy who had such priviledges was the champ. That's why he's the champ. He was on the magazine covers, he was doing all the photoshoots, commercials, a plethora of media appearances. It added to the title's prestige and importance.
Wait, there shouldn't be one guy who does all the important thing, but only the world champion should do all the important things? :confused:

What do you guys think?
Like I said before, TNA needs to guys who represent them. Right now, they have that in Kurt and AJ. Kurt represents solid technical wrestling and a certain attitude he can be the companies biggest heel or one of their most likeable faces. Same goes for AJ, he can be the biggest face or a competent heel. AJ represents the high-risk, athletic nature TNA is built on.

In time someone will come to take Kurt's place and one to take AJ's. And that's how it should be, two guys who carry the company and can play either rivals or allies. It worked for Rock and Austin and it works for those two. Having it focus on one guy puts you in a whole lot of shit when that guy hangs up the boots.

Reactions: TLC
Wait, there shouldn't be one guy who does all the important thing, but only the world champion should do all the important things? :confused:

Well, I mean, a guy like Cena. Who's the ultimate face no matter what. If a Champion is that guy, at least the people will switch from time to time. It'd be AJ, then maybe Joe, then Anderson, etc. Like you said, betting on just one guy ( I.E Cena, Hogan ) can prove to be quite disastrous. With the Champ being 'that' guy that risk is automatically eliminated because the spotlight is on different guys throughout the year, not on one guy for 5 years. Helps their careers, helps the credibility of the championship and if done right - markets the company, because right now, what does the World Title mean? Yeah he's got the top belt in the company - so what? Big whoop. The only difference between the TNA world title and the K.O's title is that the TNA World Title is the more important belt. The World Belt must mean something more than just a prop. The guy who holds it should have some special duties and priviledges outside the ring, when the cameras are out. TNA could really capitalize on that. I loved the way TNA was crowned as Champion and RVD as well. Confetti and everything, made it seem like a big deal, and it should. Especially now when AJ's going to make that TV title mean something, I'm afraid he'll make it mean more than the World Belt, they REALLY need to figure out a way to add a little something to that world championship.

When one says “Face of a Company” does one mean who is the number one “Good Guy” of the company, or the number one “Superstar” of the company??

Regardless on what one means, I think it’s A. J. Styles. He’s was there since Day One. He is Mr. TNA. He’s TNA’s first Triple Crown Champion, and TNA’s only Grand Slam Champion. As of this year, he’s TNA’s only PWI # 1 of the Top 500 ever. No one comes close in the TNAtion.

Human psychology- people identify with singular leaders. I don't pretend to understand why, but I can't deny the evidence of how deeply the 'singular leader' is woven into our brains. Monotheistic religions are the order of the day on this planet, far outnumbering polytheistic faiths. Government power is usually represented through a single person; even in governments where ultimate authority lies in a group, there is usually a "singular leader", with or without any real power, that people look to as the head of state.

And it is in this vein that TNA needs a 'face of the company'.

As far as who they'd get to do it? Ugh. I don't see any desirable candidates amongst their top shelf currently. Kurt Angle would be the best choice in my ever so humble opinion, but he has a long WWE association with him. TNA needs ex-WWE guys right now, because they are trying to get WWE fans to watch their product, but you don't want the "face of the company" to be best remembered for a run in someone elses company.

Ask me a year ago, and I've had said AJ Styles, but his recent championship run proved to me that he's not ready for the role. All people did for his championship run was slowly stop watching TNA, and while he can't be held solely to blame, he was in the captains chair for it.

Mr. Anderson will bolt for WWE as soon as he can work out a good deal. He wants to be a superstar, and he's no idiot- that won't happen with TNA. But some people still watch TNA, and he can keep himself alive. If you're currently blackballed from WWE, it is the second-best place you can land, because at least they have a real TV deal. (HDNet is NOT real TV, sorry, RoH fans. I like your product but you do not have a TV deal.)

Jeff Hardy could have much shorter hair and a new, much plainer wardrobe at this time next year. And, for those of you who don't get the joke, a prisoner identification number.

Abyss, you know, I was going to crack a joke, but there's no need. Too bad, he's a nice guy. I liked his angle with Mick Foley immensely. Then Hogan came along and did what he did best, take advantage of every good thing about another person while burying them. Speaking of which, Hulk Hogan put his face out there with the TNA logo quite a bit. Didn't work, no one cared.

RVD isn't going to stick around in TNA. I don't know if he'll want to do another WWE run (I doubt it, but never say never), but there is nothing for him in TNA. Unless they're giving him piles of money, there's no reason for him to stick around.

So who should the face of TNA be? Ugh. Ask again in a couple years, because right now, there just aren't any good options, just "least worst" options.

AJ Styles is the definitely 'that' man if they wanted to utilize him in that roll.

I think TNA is best to concentrate on putting good story lines and great in ring action as they have been doing lately before they try pushing someone 'to the moon'.

It isnt a necessity so why bother? Focus on the more important things!

First one to mind is AJ Styles. He pulls off face of the company WHILE being heel. It almost seems like they want to push RVD or Hardy as the face of the company, but to most TNA followers who have watched since before the Hogan Era, it's bullshit. We want to see a star that was built from the ground up BY TNA. RVD and Hardy are both former WWE Champions, which means they were built into stars in WWE and then they were brought to TNA because of that. They don't deserve to be the face, but it seems like it should be indefinately AJ Styles.

First one to mind is AJ Styles. He pulls off face of the company WHILE being heel. It almost seems like they want to push RVD or Hardy as the face of the company, but to most TNA followers who have watched since before the Hogan Era, it's bullshit. We want to see a star that was built from the ground up BY TNA. RVD and Hardy are both former WWE Champions, which means they were built into stars in WWE and then they were brought to TNA because of that. They don't deserve to be the face, but it seems like it should be indefinately AJ Styles.

I agree. And Jeff was only that big in WWE because his moth-eaten hand socks were selling so well. RVD was even made a star in ECW so that's even worse.

AJ Styles IS the face of the company, but TNA, in it inconsistant manner, does not push him enough in this position. Hes been there since the begining, been a multi-time champion, and is the best worker they have. For one thing you need a guy that can cut a promo, so that leaves out RDV & Hardy. Anyone else that has been around TNA for a while just doesn't have the record of Styles, the charisma of Styles, and the ability to cut a promo like Styles.

Ric-Flair.jpg

The face of TNA is AJ and it's not even close. The complete company guy, one of the best wrestlers in the world today, and you never have to worry about him getting into trouble or getting suspended.

I remember an interview with Hogan back in December before he debuted in TNA and he was talking about how he wanted to make AJ into a larger than life superstar ala a John Cena or Stone Cold. That hasn't really happened, but if anyone is the face of TNA, it's AJ Styles without a question.

The face of TNA is AJ Styles, no doubt. He's been with TNA since the beginning. If for any reason should AJ leave TNA and jump to WWE, TNA would not survive for long. AJ has held every single championship there is in TNA minus the Knockouts titles. He's a 4 time TNA/NWA Heavyweight Champion, 5 time TNA/NWA Tag Team Champion, 2 time TNA Global/Television Champion, 6 time TNA X-Division Champion, and he's been Triple Crown and Grand Slam Champion. He is the face of TNA, he's also the former face of the X-Division. Plus he is also the best wrestler in TNA, no offence to Kurt Angle or Homicide or anyone else, but AJ has a combination of speed, charisma, and he's got that it-factor. He gets the biggest reaction each night...well until this ECW angle started, which I love.

But personally, I'd like the MCMG to be the face of TNA, especially Chris Sabin. I think he's the greatest high flyer in TNA right now, the sky high moves that he and Shelly take are insane and are way more entertaining than that of Jeff Hardy's. Plus Sabin has been in TNA just as long as AJ Styles and he's one of the originals of TNA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back