Will Dwight Howard Ever Win A MVP Award?

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
This was something I saw on ESPN's show Pardon The Interruption earlier today, and I thought it was a very interesting topic. Dwight Howard is an amazing physical specimen, and I believe he can be considered the top center in the NBA. The Magic made it to the NBA Finals last year, but they were defeated by the Lakers.

While I do think Dwight is a an amazing athlete and center, winning an MVP award will be tough for him to accomplish in the NBA. It's going to be tough for him because of two names.....Lebron James, and Kobe Bryant. These are two of the best players in the NBA, and Kobe has already won 4 NBA titles. I think it's highly likely Kobe will win more MVP awards, and Lebron will have his reign soon enough in the coming years. Also, both guys still have plenty of years left to win championships, and add more chapters to their legacies.

I believe Dwight will win a MVP award, but it will NOT happen for a very long time. Kobe and Lebron still have lots of accolades to add to their careers, and they will not be done any time soon.

Do think Dwight Howard will ever win a MVP award?

Thoughts?

No, I don't think he will. His offense isn't consistent enough and I don't think any player has won the mvp for great defense. Having said that I think he will keep rackig up defensive player of the year awards for years to come. I will agree with you saying he is the best C in the game right now.
Like you said H, its tough for him to win one with Kobe and Bron in the league plus you still have to figure Steve Nash can still win mvp #3, Kevin Durrant is another name that Howard will have to beat out, also Melo, Dirk, D Wade.
I can see him winning a NBA finals mvp award if they ever go that far again.

Well before I get onto the subject, Kobe wont win another MVP. He is my favourite player but trust me he wont. This year was his year, didn't work out for him tho.

Anyways, yes Dwight Howard is the best Center in the league, no one even comes close to him. BUt will he get a MVP? No. Why well because of one simple reason, Wade didn't win it last year. Wade carried is team to 5th in the eastern conference after coing off a 17-65 win year, averaging 30 points, 7 assists, 5 rebounds, 2 steals and 1 block. Now how is that not a Most valuable player? Tell me that. Maybe if Dwight can get his team to first place by 6 games and average 25+ points then maybe he will, but as of this moment, he wont. Lebron gets his share jsut because he has the ball most. Even tho Dwight is a most valuable player.

To me it's all about wins in the NBA and if you have a top five scoring average then you are MVP. Like really Shouldn't Durant win it this year? Second in the league for scoring, has helped his team scorea play off perth and has help on a regular basis by one guy ( Russel Westrbook). No Lebron will win it tho. Yes he has good stats but if you have 2 all stars with you plus Shaq and a great bench you shouldn't be averaging less than 7 assist. You shouldn't be averaging less than 25 points simply because there is so much star power on the team.

So the Verdict. No he wont win it, even tho he deserves to.

Dwight Howard could win a MVP award if and only if his post game improves and becomes more consistent. I mean his hook shot is average at best, his free-throw shooting average at best and learning how to avoid getting into foul trouble would tremendously help him out. He is probably the best Center in the NBA right now but he is not a Top 5 player for me and not even a Top 10. If you look at the Centers who dominated the NBA from Shaquille O'neal(downright domination in the low block), Hakeem(the sweet post moves) David Robinson(athleticism, and had a jumpshot) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar(skyhook) Kevin Mchale(not sure if he's a center but his low post moves are terrific too) are among others who stood out because they had specific qualities that were unmatched during their time. Dwight on the other hand has those qualities(except for the jumpshot and the skyhook) but all of which are average and he doesn't have that "Killer Instinct"/the "Mean Streak" like the guys I mentioned above. In the NBA right now, nobody can stop Dwight Howard but himself.

It's gonna be a challenge because we have so many great players in the league. You mentioned Kobe and Lebron but what about Dwayne Wade? The gus won the scoring title last year and has the Heat on a eight game winning streak heading into the playoffs. He is one of the league's premier players just like James and Bryant. Now Kobe won't be around forever he is consistently older than the other three. So if Lebron or Wade gets injured or has an off-season I could see it happening for Dwight otherwise no. Not in this league with so many premier scorers. It truly is a shame.

Probably won't, but it's not impossible. The problem is Howard will be playing his entire career with Lebron and Durant. The only way I could see it happening is if he continues with the ridiculous numbers over the next few seasons and leads his team to the best record in the league one year, and even then it's hard to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back