Why The Undertaker vs John Cena Will Happen Come Mania 32

OYDK

King Of The Ring
There has been a lot of speculation and rumor this past year as to who The Undertaker's opponent at Wrestlemania 32 will be. Many believe that we will finally get Sting vs The Deadman after almost 20 years of anticipation, others think Kane may be the man to challenge his brother, while the latest rumor is that Braun Stroman has emerged as a likely option for Taker's Mania opponent. While each opponent has his upsides and likely means something different for Taker and Mania, there seems to be one guy who is the perfect fit to this puzzle, and that's John Cena. It's amazing that throughout all the years they spent together on the WWE roster, John Cena and The Undertaker have never had a legitimate one on one feud, I don't even know if they've ever been in a one on one match before. If there is one spectacle that is still possible for the fans to witness (other than Taker/Sting) it's Undertaker vs Cena.

This match has to happen before Taker's retirement and the pieces have never been more in place than they are right now;

1. WWE want to sell out AT&T in Arlington which holds over 100 000 people. Cena vs Taker is arguably the biggest money match WWE has available right now. While Taker/Lesnar, Lesnar/Cena, Rock/Cena, etc. are undoubtedly mega-matches, we've seen them all before. Cena/Taker is a fresh match that will appeal to absolutely everybody; the casuals, the kids, the oldies, you name it, people will buy into it. Other than possibly Rock/Brock, there is no match currently available that will draw more than Taker/Cena.

2. Cena's out of the world title picture. For the last few years, it's been nearly impossible to picture a John Cena/Undertaker Mania match given that Cena has always been around the World title. With the WWE championship most likely out of his grasp this year, Cena has become a real option for The Undertaker. Although Cena is currently the US champ, if latest rumors are to be believed, he won't be holding the title for much longer. For the first time in many years, it seems as if John Cena will not be restricted by a feud or title heading into Mania season.

3. Cena can bring the best out of The Undertaker. John Cena has been bringing the best out of everyone lately and has been having some real solid matches since winning the US title. After a few lacklustre matches for Taker, Cena can be the guy to really give Taker the last classic of his career. I can't see this match ending up as anything but great.

4. It looks as if John Cena will be out until the end of December. Do I really have to explain this? Great opportunity to have his return coincide with Takers. Would blow the roof off of whatever building they're in.

5. WWE doesn't seem to have a plan for either of these guys yet. As I mentioned the current crop of opponents being discussed for Taker at Mania include Kane and Stroman... nothing seems to have been discussed for Cena yet. Considering that pairing these two up wouldn't really disrupt the current plans for Mania makes this all the more a no-brainer.

6. Sting vs Taker can still happen next year. I have a funny feeling Taker's not done yet and I believe Sting can still go once more. Plus this match should end both guys' careers. Waiting one more year wouldn't hurt.

What do you think? Can it happen? WILL it happen?

I'll be honest, part of me thinks that the break for Cena is going to be for him to go down to Texas and work with Undertaker so that they can really put a match together.

I have (for years and years) hoped that Cena was the one to retire Undertaker, because after Brock, no one else can absorb that much heat, and that much attention.

A solid 20 minute match between the two could really put an emphatic end to Undertaker's career, and a 2017 HoF headliner.

Ive been saying this for a while and Roman Reigns (c) vs. John Cena for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship needs to happen. It makes sense. Cena is leaving due to personal reasons and is now expected to win the RR (Unfortunately). Reigns will become the face of WWE in his abscence and will probably win the WWE Title at Survivor Series. If WWE was smart they would work the reports of Cena getting upset at the negative reactions he has been getting as the personal reasons he left for. There is also the reports of WWE wanting to do this match in 2016 with Cena winning #16. Add that with the fact that this match is too big for any other event than WrestleMania. Cena to cheating to win this turning heel in the process, passing the torch.

Great idea, OYDK...Cept as HORRORHOLIC already stated, they did have a feud, back in 2003..I'll post the videos below to refresh everyone's memory on that surprisingly good feud..Hell, WWE can even go the extra mile and say that Taker and Cena had a feud back in 2003 when Cena was still new to the WWE, which in part would be why Cena's challenging Taker at Wrestlemania 32, in order to prove to himself that he's finally capable of beating The Undertaker. Cena could even take it further by saying that after his 2002 WWE debut match against Angle, Taker showed him respect backstage.

Now as for Taker vs Cena in Dallas at Wrestlemania 32..It'd be great to see that happen and see Taker get a hard-fought clean win over Cena..I just can't buy Taker losing to either the FU again(like he did in 2003) or the STF no matter how it's booked...Hell, since people(including me) wanna see Cena turn heel so damn bad, how about Cena loses to Taker cleanly at Wrestlemania 32 and over the following month slowly and finally snaps on everyone, brings back his padlock as a weapon and raises absolute hell as a heel?(Yea I know it'll never happen but still)..

Realistically, though, Cena losing to Taker at Wrestlemania 32 could still happen without a Cena heel turn after..It could instead just have a humbled Cena in the way that Cena was humbled after losing to The Rock after their 1st Wrestlemania match, with Cena basically saying how he gave it his all and even he couldn't beat The Undertaker at Wrestlemania 32.

Now as for the videos from 2003 showing Taker and Cena's feud..

Vengeance 2003 Cena vs Taker full match
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S36G75JeyIQ

Taker vs Cena Smackdown highlights 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtYp8o4W1Y

Cena calls out Taker in 2004 for Tombstoning him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgBwGkk5mrs

Taker vs Cena Smackdown 2004 full match
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC9R8acFl74

There has been a lot of speculation and rumor this past year as to who The Undertaker's opponent at Wrestlemania 32 will be. Many believe that we will finally get Sting vs The Deadman after almost 20 years of anticipation, others think Kane may be the man to challenge his brother, while the latest rumor is that Braun Stroman has emerged as a likely option for Taker's Mania opponent. While each opponent has his upsides and likely means something different for Taker and Mania, there seems to be one guy who is the perfect fit to this puzzle, and that's John Cena. It's amazing that throughout all the years they spent together on the WWE roster, John Cena and The Undertaker have never had a legitimate one on one feud, I don't even know if they've ever been in a one on one match before. If there is one spectacle that is still possible for the fans to witness (other than Taker/Sting) it's Undertaker vs Cena.

This match has to happen before Taker's retirement and the pieces have never been more in place than they are right now;

1. WWE want to sell out AT&T in Arlington which holds over 100 000 people. Cena vs Taker is arguably the biggest money match WWE has available right now. While Taker/Lesnar, Lesnar/Cena, Rock/Cena, etc. are undoubtedly mega-matches, we've seen them all before. Cena/Taker is a fresh match that will appeal to absolutely everybody; the casuals, the kids, the oldies, you name it, people will buy into it. Other than possibly Rock/Brock, there is no match currently available that will draw more than Taker/Cena.

2. Cena's out of the world title picture. For the last few years, it's been nearly impossible to picture a John Cena/Undertaker Mania match given that Cena has always been around the World title. With the WWE championship most likely out of his grasp this year, Cena has become a real option for The Undertaker. Although Cena is currently the US champ, if latest rumors are to be believed, he won't be holding the title for much longer. For the first time in many years, it seems as if John Cena will not be restricted by a feud or title heading into Mania season.

3. Cena can bring the best out of The Undertaker. John Cena has been bringing the best out of everyone lately and has been having some real solid matches since winning the US title. After a few lacklustre matches for Taker, Cena can be the guy to really give Taker the last classic of his career. I can't see this match ending up as anything but great.

4. It looks as if John Cena will be out until the end of December. Do I really have to explain this? Great opportunity to have his return coincide with Takers. Would blow the roof off of whatever building they're in.

5. WWE doesn't seem to have a plan for either of these guys yet. As I mentioned the current crop of opponents being discussed for Taker at Mania include Kane and Stroman... nothing seems to have been discussed for Cena yet. Considering that pairing these two up wouldn't really disrupt the current plans for Mania makes this all the more a no-brainer.

6. Sting vs Taker can still happen next year. I have a funny feeling Taker's not done yet and I believe Sting can still go once more. Plus this match should end both guys' careers. Waiting one more year wouldn't hurt.

Cena vs. Taker would have made more sense if Taker's streak was still active. It's just another match at this point unless you make the match a legit retirement match like HBK/Flair, HBK/Taker. Cena is probably the closest to HBK's caliber (age wise and skill wise when doing retirement matches at WM).

I think Cena has done a good job facing younger talents at WM. I believe the trend may continue with another young talent. I'm thinking Strowman, add in the history with Bray vs. Cena, it's another dynamic.

Cena vs. Taker would be a great match though. It would have to close the show because if Cena did win, the crowd would worse than Brock vs. Taker at WM XXX.

Seeing how there's rumors Taker may be wrestling longer, I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch between Bray and Taker.

I don't think Taker vs. Cena will ever happen.

Cena vs. Taker would have made more sense if Taker's streak was still active. It's just another match at this point unless you make the match a legit retirement match like HBK/Flair, HBK/Taker. Cena is probably the closest to HBK's caliber (age wise and skill wise when doing retirement matches at WM).

Exactly.. I mean, the "Super Cena" that the WWE has built up shows that Cena has the most heart, Cena will have the most fight, Cena will push himself as far as he needs to to come out with the victory. His loss against Kevin Owens, I thought, was probably because he underestimated KO, and that's pretty much how it was played out. When Cena loses clean, that's something you don't forget long. With that being said, I would have liked to see him face the Undertaker when the "streak" was relevant. Then, you could really see things going either way. There has to be enough doubt to make you think Cena will come out with the win, which I think might have happened. When Wyatt faced Undertaker, you saw that the match was in favor of Undertaker. But that's my opinion. You have to legitimately see that the match could go either way. I didn't believe Wyatt was a great threat. I think it also may have been that there was no face to face build up between the two. Like Wyatt didn't have the chance to show he had something over the Undertaker.

They did feud when Cena was a heel many years ago, the matches were pretty good too.

Undertaker v John Cena happened at "Vengeance 2003" when Cena was a disrespectful heel rapper persona, "The Doctor Of Thuganomics" and when Taker was "American Bad Ass".

But I can't recall any match between current Cena and the Deadman Undertaker.

If WM32 is the last match that The Undertaker will get in the ring for then it should be The Undertaker Vs John Cena in a buried alive, casket or any that kind of match..
Also Cena can be a heel without turning into one with that...

2. Cena's out of the world title picture.

If there's one overriding factor in the entire discussion, it's that one. Since Cena will be gone until the new year, he won't be involved in any of the existing feuds going on in WWE. Meanwhile, Undertaker never has anything happening during the year because he doesn't show his face until the lead up to Wrestlemania. So, it would be perfect to have them oppose each other. Other storylines aren't disturbed and the field is wide open for this match to happen.

Other points made in this thread are valid, too. Cena does bring out the best in opponents......and he can work in a fashion that wouldn't 'break' Mark Calaway's decrepit old body. Someone mentioned using Braun Strowman as an opponent for 'Taker; can you imagine WWE taking a chance with Undertaker by putting him in a with a big, strong wrestling novice like Strowman? No, thanks.

Of course, we still aren't sure whether Calaway even wants to retire after WM32, are we? It would seem fitting and proper for a match against Cena to be his last.....and if it isn't, Undertaker vs. Cena can be saved for another day.

when Brock beat taker at mania. all the anticipation are over. now no more streak for taker then cena or the rock vs taker is not a big deal, its just a match. even its not important than bray vs taker match. bcoz bray claim he is new face of fear. but what cena and rock can do in that match. right now only expected match is sting vs taker. I am not told its only happened at mania. wwe now mainly use sting for their network. so why not to make a match for network only ppv.

I've said for months now that the only two men Taker needs to tangle with at WM32 are Sting or John Cena. So if Cena/Taker happens, I'll be happy with that. I just DO NOT wanna see Brock/Taker again. Glad they're going to blow off their feud at Hell In A Cell. There's no one else on the card or any WWE affiliated person that will sell at WM32 with Taker (not even The Rock). I would have probably put Kevin Owens in the mix IF the streak was intact. But since it isn't, Kevin Owens needs to stay far, far away from Taker.

No offense the underflaker , beer bellin, leather claddin, bone tearin, cripplin wearin has to retire cause come HIC this month you will see how tired he will be and he won't be able to stand after Cyborg Brock Lesner beats him down once and for all!
OYDK john semen vs underflaker fought a few times at Vengeance and on smackdown when Underflaker was himself not the motorcycle outfit in 2004 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXBZBHEhnEI on RAW on 2006 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzIh2TEctWs . If This match happens than I ll root for the old man against john semen but if flaker and STING go at it then Steve Borden needs to win this WM match BIG TIME!

No offense the underflaker , beer bellin, leather claddin, bone tearin, cripplin wearin has to retire cause come HIC this month you will see how tired he will be and he won't be able to stand after Cyborg Brock Lesner beats him down once and for all!
OYDK john semen vs underflaker fought a few times at Vengeance and on smackdown when Underflaker was himself not the motorcycle outfit in 2004 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXBZBHEhnEI on RAW on 2006 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzIh2TEctWs . If This match happens than I ll root for the old man against john semen but if flaker and STING go at it then Steve Borden needs to win this WM match BIG TIME!

Is this Crocker??? SMH.

As for my reply to the OP

Not necessarily

It would sell out the arena but it's not the biggest money match that WWE has right now. There is Rock/Brock,Sting/Taker,Brock/Austin,Cena/Austin.

Cena is still very much part of the title picture. Right now he is focusing on the US Title but he is "technically" still #1 contender seeing how he has beaten Rollins about 3 times in recent memory (not counting untelevised house shows.) In fact, he is the name expected to win the Rumble (unfortunately.)

Agreed to an extent. I agree Cena can bring out the best in Taker and everyone he faces. However, I disagree with saying Taker has been having lackluster matches. His only lackluster match was against Lesnar at Mania' 30 in which he wrestled sick and injured.

Yes it would and would be awesome. However, there is a bigger opportunity for Cena to return as a dark heel character with new music and gear. Either that or return playing off the personal reasons being the fans with them finally getting to him.

Actually that is false. WWE said months ago they already know who Cena's opponent is in a memo they sent the dirtsheets but they wasn't giving it away yet.

- Why take a chance waiting to do Sting vs. Undertaker. With both man constantly getting injured or collapsing. If they're gonna do the match it needs to be at Mania' 32 or not at all. For an opponent for Taker if he doesn't face Sting and it is his last year. It needs to be against Kane in both mans last match. If it's not his last match and he isn't facing Sting it should be against a younger star like Rollins,Balor,Harper or a Wyatt rematch.
[/QUOTE]
What do you think? Can it happen? WILL it happen?[/QUOTE] It can and probably will but shouldn't. This is a huge opportunity to do Sting/Taker,Cena/Reigns for the world title (with Cena turning heel to win #16),Triple H/Rollins,Rock or Austin/Brock.

Is this Crocker??? SMH.

As for my reply to the OP

Not necessarily

It would sell out the arena but it's not the biggest money match that WWE has right now. There is Rock/Brock,Sting/Taker,Brock/Austin,Cena/Austin.

Cena is still very much part of the title picture. Right now he is focusing on the US Title but he is "technically" still #1 contender seeing how he has beaten Rollins about 3 times in recent memory (not counting untelevised house shows.) In fact, he is the name expected to win the Rumble (unfortunately.)

Agreed to an extent. I agree Cena can bring out the best in Taker and everyone he faces. However, I disagree with saying Taker has been having lackluster matches. His only lackluster match was against Lesnar at Mania' 30 in which he wrestled sick and injured.

Yes it would and would be awesome. However, there is a bigger opportunity for Cena to return as a dark heel character with new music and gear. Either that or return playing off the personal reasons being the fans with them finally getting to him.

Actually that is false. WWE said months ago they already know who Cena's opponent is in a memo they sent the dirtsheets but they wasn't giving it away yet.

- Why take a chance waiting to do Sting vs. Undertaker. With both man constantly getting injured or collapsing. If they're gonna do the match it needs to be at Mania' 32 or not at all. For an opponent for Taker if he doesn't face Sting and it is his last year. It needs to be against Kane in both mans last match. If it's not his last match and he isn't facing Sting it should be against a younger star like Rollins,Balor,Harper or a Wyatt rematch.
What do you think? Can it happen? WILL it happen?[/QUOTE] It can and probably will but shouldn't. This is a huge opportunity to do Sting/Taker,Cena/Reigns for the world title (with Cena turning heel to win #16),Triple H/Rollins,Rock or Austin/Brock.[/QUOTE]

What is this crockery????

It can and probably will but shouldn't. This is a huge opportunity to do Sting/Taker,Cena/Reigns for the world title (with Cena turning heel to win #16),Triple H/Rollins,Rock or Austin/Brock.[/QUOTE]

What is this crockery????[/QUOTE]

You jacking up the name just added to my suspicion. Your Crocker and you know it

I'm completely taking Austin out of the equation as it's been over 10 years since he's wrestled and likely won't again. Obviously Austin/Rock, Austin/Brock, Austin/Cena, Austin/anybody would be the biggest money match for Mania, but take him out of the picture and only Brock/Rock has a wider appeal than Taker/Cena, which I mentioned. While Taker/Sting is a dream match for people like my uncles and I, I'm not sure it completely appeals to the newer generation. While Cena/Taker will interest everybody from the 5 year old who just started watching wrestling to the 80 year old who grew up on wrestling, Sting/Taker mainly appeals to the Attitude Era crowd and most of them are long gone by now. In terms of marketability and revenue projections, Cena/Taker is probably a bit bigger than Taker/Sting.

Well, he's not "technically" number one contender as he's obviously not next in line at this point and he just had a feud with Rollins. He is not expected to win the Rumble. That's one of those instances of people on the internet jumping to conclusions and everybody taking it as fact. Just because he's coming back in December doesn't necessarily mean he's going to win the Rumble.

I would argue his match with Wyatt was the most forgettable one on the Mania 31 card. His match with Lesnar at SS was better, but still not close to what we've come to expect from Taker. I think Cena/Taker would blow his previous matches out of the water.

Oh yes, the "a heel turn would be a better scenario" argument... I know it well. I agree that a John Cena heel turn would be the best thing to happen in a long, long time, but it's just not. Not anytime soon anyway.

WWE doesn't set their Mania matches in stone 9 months in advance of the event unless it has to do with the part-timers. If you read somewhere that WWE has picked out Cena's Mania opponent, I'd advise you to take that with a bucket of salt.

Cena is taking off for personal reasons (thought I saw Dolph messing with Nikki on a Total Divas commercial). Undertaker is going to be very active with WWE...highly doubt it's them two working on a match 6 months from now...come on.

Wrestling fans have been screaming for Taker vs Sting for ages...that's the match that's going to happen at Mania 32...Cena vs Taker is a waste. It does nothing for either one of them...like at all.

Cena is taking off for personal reasons (thought I saw Dolph messing with Nikki on a Total Divas commercial). Undertaker is going to be very active with WWE...highly doubt it's them two working on a match 6 months from now...come on.

Wrestling fans have been screaming for Taker vs Sting for ages...that's the match that's going to happen at Mania 32...Cena vs Taker is a waste. It does nothing for either one of them...like at all.

What exactly does Sting/Taker do for either one of of them...like at all? Fans clamor for Sting/Taker, they also clamor for Cena/Taker. Either one would do the trick but like I said, Cena/Taker appeals to a wider audience. Also, tell me how Undertaker is going to be heavily involved in WWE following HIAC? I've heard nothing aside from him working the Mexico tour the week before the PPV and than HIAC. Do you know something I don't? I've also been reading for a while that there is absolutely zero interest for a Taker/Sting match from the head honchos in WWE, especially following Sting's injury after NOC, while Cena is being discussed as a top option. I know, don't believe everything you read and all that, but with everything taken into consideration I would agree with the notion that Cena is a much likelier option than Sting at this point.

What exactly does Sting/Taker do for either one of of them...like at all? Fans clamor for Sting/Taker, they also clamor for Cena/Taker. Either one would do the trick but like I said, Cena/Taker appeals to a wider audience. Also, tell me how Undertaker is going to be heavily involved in WWE following HIAC? I've heard nothing aside from him working the Mexico tour the week before the PPV and than HIAC. Do you know something I don't? I've also been reading for a while that there is absolutely zero interest for a Taker/Sting match from the head honchos in WWE, especially following Sting's injury after NOC, while Cena is being discussed as a top option. I know, don't believe everything you read and all that, but with everything taken into consideration I would agree with the notion that Cena is a much likelier option than Sting at this point.

Wtf? Poor attempt at mocking me bra...Sting vs Taker has been a dream match for years and years...that's what it does for them smartass. Cena vs Taker isn't going to happen...I say let's bet our accounts on it if you're so sure :)

And yeah I've read a recent report on this site about the Undertaker wanting to be more active lately, and haven't heard anything about the head honchos not wanting Sting vs Taker...I mean Sting himself is campaigning for the damn match, and it's one of the reasons he signed on. Where the hell have you been?

A select few people on this site have been trying to predict Cena vs Taker for ages...it hasn't happened, and won't happen this year either..."like at all"... Get over it.

Wtf? Poor attempt at mocking me bra...Sting vs Taker has been a dream match for years and years...that's what it does for them smartass. Cena vs Taker isn't going to happen...I say let's bet our accounts on it if you're so sure :)

Oh don't like it so much when somebody's kind of a dick to you? Than don't act like a dick towards them for no reason... treat others the way you want to be treated there bud.

You want to bet accounts on whether Cena or Sting faces Taker? Or, more likely, are you proposing to bet that it just won't be Cena? For the first option, I'd be up for it. I have much more confidence in Cena than Sting at this point, especially considering Sting's neck injury seems rather serious, with him recently saying he has to get it sorted out, or something along those lines. As for the latter option, yeah fuck that. Think I'm a damn fool or something?

Also I've already mentioned that Cena/Taker is just as large a dream match as Taker/Sting. Just because Sting and Taker were around 10 years before Cena, doesn't make a match between them any bigger. People clamor for Sting/Taker, people clamor for Taker/Cena just as much, get it? And again, I'll reiterate that Cena/Taker has a wider mass appeal than Taker/Sting, because you obviously haven't gotten that through your head. What does that do for either Cena/Taker? Not much. But it guarantees a sell-out in Arlington for WWE, which seems to be most important right now. So, while this argument is a decent one (hah), it doesn't really hold up.

And yeah I've read a recent report on this site about the Undertaker wanting to be more active lately, and haven't heard anything about the head honchos not wanting Sting vs Taker...I mean Sting himself is campaigning for the damn match, and it's one of the reasons he signed on. Where the hell have you been?

The reports don't state that Taker is looking to be more active, they say that he IS more active than last year. After the Mexico tour and HIAC he's not booked for shit afterwards, so I have no clue what you're reading. Whereas you're completely making stuff up, I actually have sources. WON is reporting that WWE's currently looking at Kane, Stroman, and Cena as the top choices for Taker's opponent. Inquistor states that WWE is not looking at Sting vs Taker for Mania 32. I'm going to stop name dropping now as it'll probably get me in some sort of trouble, but you get the point.

A select few people on this site have been trying to predict Cena vs Taker for ages...it hasn't happened, and won't happen this year either..."like at all"... Get over it.

So I'll be the first to be correct than? Sweet.

Thanks for the red rep by the way. Would have sucked a lot more had you actually, y'know gained any sort of good rep on this site. Nice to see that the youth of today can't handle criticism or anybody disagreeing with them though. To prove that I am, in fact, better than you, I won't retaliate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back