Why is WWE Tearing Up Tag Teams?

CultOfPersonality

Occasional Pre-Show
A lot of people deemed last year as a turn-around in the fortunes of the WWE tag team division. You had Team Hell No, The Shield, The Wyatts and The Brotherhood (with The Usos, Real Americans, PTP etc) step up and give the division some much needed emphasis and bring them back into the spotlight.

But now in 2014, WWE appears to be undoing all their good work by ripping up tag teams like pieces of paper. Consider: Brodus and Tensai split, Titus O'Neil and Darren Young split, they're teasing some kind of split with The Real Americans, The Shield are set to split, there seemed to be a bit of here and there with R Truth and Xavier Woods, The Rhodes Brothers are set to go their separate ways...and the current tag champions are part timers!

If all the above cases happen, that leaves The Usos, The Wyatts, Los Matadores, 3MB and RYBAXEL to hold up the tag divsion....WHAT? Surely WWE must recognise that they're going too hard too fast with these breakups, if they're planning on bringing other guys together or bringing up NXT talent, they will need time to become known to the fans and the division will end up in a slump again if they do.

I agree they are breaking up too many teams so close to each other that not only is it making the division weak it doesn't put as much emphasis on the break up between the former partners.
I wish they would bring in a new team before they disband one that way the number of teams does drop off some much. There are plenty of guys on the roster who are doing nothing right now that could be put together as a tag team and by that I mean low to mid card guys not upper end guys who have been former world champs like Miz &Ziggler who are being rumored to be a team soon. Plus there are plenty of guys down in NXT that could be brought up.

Because they're trying to make breakout stars. Ironically the only one of the guys in a team who has any semblance of doing anything will be Cody.

People only cared about Brodus Clay when he was dancing to 70s style music. People only care about Titus O'Neil when he blows the whistle, shouts 'Millions of dollars' or does that pose that he does. People only really cheer Xavier Woods because he's with R-Truth.

Fact of the matter is if you're in a tag team in WWE and you start getting over, they'll break you up to try and push one (or both of them) as singles stars. When that doesn't work you get turned into a jobber. Just ask Shad and JTG.

They forget that sometimes a being a team means you can hide each others flaws better. Just look at Road Dogg and Billy Gunn. When did they do anything of note as a singles wrestler. Not much. And lest we not forget the best tag team in the bus uh ness Bad Influence over in TNA. They're gold and they've been together for a good few years now.

I'm going to get heat for this but hopefully this is a sign that they're trying to bring in more legitimate tag teams. The initial resurgence in the tag division was by flooding it with teams but the IWC seems to love the "teddy long" booking but you can't define a division by continually throwing mid carders together. The usos are an example of a real team, they look like a team, they wrestle like a team, they came in as a team, and they have a reason for being a team. The shield came in as a team but they're above the division at this point that's why they dropped the belts. Rybaxel make more sense as a team as they stem from a stable of sorts, kinda like the NAO they're singles wrestlers but it makes sense to be a team for them. Tons of funk and P2P, while taking teams out of the division, were pretty irrelevant to the division to being with. I think generally they're having trouble with the real americans and I'm not quite sure what they want to do with them, time will tell on that.

They need to pair up people with nothing to do. I heard they're bring Ziggler and Miz together....things like that. Barrett/Sandow would also be great.

I said this when the Rhodes brothers won the tag titles and I will say it again, the tag team division is in a terrible position because there is only 1 true tag team, The Uso's. WWEs tag division is built up of 3 different types of teams:

Brothers - Uso's and Rhodes

NXT top talent in a faction - Shield and Wyatt's

2 midcarders with nothing better to do - RybAxel, PTP(not anymore), Real Americans, Tons of Funk(not anymore), R-Truth and Woods and Los Matadores.

I haven't added NAO because they are only temporary talents. The WWE needs more true tag teams who will team together for the majority of their careers but WWE only has 2 midcarders thrown together because they have talent but not enough for a singles title. These recent developments have just proven me right as I thought the Shield and Rhodes were not gonna be around long and I wasn't even expecting the Real Americans, PTP and TOF to split aswell. The Uso's are good enough to be a number 1 tag team but RybAxel, Matadores and Truth & Woods are not good enough to even win a match let alone a title. The Wyatt's are good enough but their gimmick does not seem like one that would mean they want a title.

Conclusion - Tag Division Sucks

The "Real-Americans" has run its course, give Cesaro a legit push and see what happens.

Cody Rhodes wasn't going to be in a tag team w/ Goldust long-term, and a Goldust-Cody match at WM could be incredible.

Prime Time Players? People backstage are high on Titus and want to give him a shot. I don't see it, but it is what it is.

The Shield was an incredible group, and a great way to introduce 3 brand new guys all at once. At some point these guys need to develop their own identity and become singles wrestlers, it was always the plan and now the time has come.

Ziggler/Miz is a decent team, a lot of people think Ziggler "deserves better". I'm not one of them.

The Ascenscion has been down in NXT forever, I'm assuming they'll get a callup soon after WM.

They'll re-stock the division, don't think its a big deal. It's more important to split up tag teams when they've peaked in order to give one of the guys a push into singles competition, than it is to just keep them together for the purposes of having a static tag division.

In the WWE realm, a tag team division is really best suited as a launch pad for lower to mid card guys. It is weird that there doesn't seem to be any place for them in todays WWE. WWE puts out an effort, then they give up.

Looking back, it is hard to become a really memorable tag team. For every Road Warriors and New Age Outlaws, we get a lot of Prime Time Players and Deuces and Dominos.

We were lucky to catch The Hardys, Edge and Christian, and The Dudleys put one great matches. At that same time we had Too Cool and the Right to Censor.

I believe that the average American wrestling fan will not focus on tag team prestige when there are singles stars battling for the top prize. Atleast not these days.

factions have become the new tag team form of wrestling. Three man teams who share ring time. thats my perception

The whole toss 2 random mid-carders practice isn't something I'm fond of, but when it works they should stick with it. Case in point teams like the Brotherhood, RA and shield has put on amazing performances, and has be the sole bright spot on some of the more crappier PPVs of 2013. So what's the point of breaking them up? Especially since most of them barely got to do anything outside of "Hi we randomly beat you on free TV, we're #1 contenders now". There's obviously more they can do if they actually got the time to shine, breaking them up now would just be a waste when they clearly have the ability to do so much more.

And really does anyone truly expect anyone not named Roman Reigns to get a good singles push? Cesaro and Cody won't go anywhere near the WWEHC and Big E's pretty much untouchable so the IC title isn't a option either. US title will probably be put on Reigns so that'll be untouchable too. And of course a entire locker room of other mid-carders for them to compete with.

Now I get that they want to break up teams to get big single stars, that has worked out great with HBK, Bret, Edge, Jeff, etc. And I can understand if they were short on single talented guys to push, but they really aren't. If anything they're overloaded with them, they got a long list of single guys sitting around doing nothing. So to break up teams to add even more guys to the mid-card is crazy. Like fine, they obviously want to push Reigns to the moon, while that'll hurt least we'll get a major star out of that. But we can't say the same for guys like Cody and Cesaro who could very well end up like where Miz/Zigger is now.

Now I don't expect or want Cody/Cesaro to be career tag wrestlers, I want them to succeed in singles too. But with the way things are their chances of that are low at best, which is bad for us since instead of seeing great tag matches they'll probably end up lost in the mid-card single shuffle like so many other guys. And in the meantime the tag division goes back to being unimportant crap.

Some of these teams need to be broken up so the individual stars have a chance outside of their team to make it, and the chance to pair up different stars that need a change of pace.

Would you really want to see Swagger and Cesaro teamed forever? How about Cody and Goldust? And the Shield? Breaking some off into singles actions creates fresher TV and gets some of the more stale individual stars a chance to team up. Such as Miz and Ziggler (Mizgler).

Some of these teams need to be broken up so the individual stars have a chance outside of their team to make it, and the chance to pair up different stars that need a change of pace.

Would you really want to see Swagger and Cesaro teamed forever? How about Cody and Goldust? And the Shield? Breaking some off into singles actions creates fresher TV and gets some of the more stale individual stars a chance to team up. Such as Miz and Ziggler (Mizgler).

You break them up when they're actually planned to get pushed, or when there's too many teams. Doing so beforehand doesn't make "fresher TV" since they do still wrestle single matches. And if you really need to team up a new pairing then you cut out the lower end of the tag division to make room, not the higher. Like sure we didn't need TOF any more, so it's fine that they're broken up. But we don't need to cut out 3 of the best teams to make room for Miz/Zigger.

And I addressed this already but apparently it was skipped or something. Guess I'll try again
Swagger - Cesaro: Keep them together until they're going to give Cesaro a serious push
Cody - Goldust - Same for Cody
Shield - Obviously it's happening for Reigns, so their breakup at least is justified

See Reigns will get pushed to the moon, so where does that leave Cody and Cesaro other then getting stuck with all the other mid-card single guys that they can't seem to find time for? I guess they can take up the "great" spots left by Zigger and Miz. :rolleyes:

A lot of the teams are thrown together and the likes of Tensai & Clay is more for entertainment than a legit tag-team push, probably due to creative struggling with ideas for Tag-Teams.

Swagger & Cesaro, could be broken up, but that shouldn't stop them teaming, they could go for the US & IC titles while teaming for the Tag Belts.

The Uso's, The Wyatt's, Real American's & Los Matadors can be the backbone of the division, maybe call-up Viktor & Konnor from NXT & have a high-flying team out of Kidd, Gabriel & Bourne.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back