Why is R-Truth a #1 contender for the title?

I dont mind it so much, mostly becuase its atonement. Atonement for at least a year of R-Truth being one of the most over people on the roster and receiving fuck all of use in a title scene or angle. Its about fuckin time.

Its just for one match, and the guy can pull off some decent spots. In all likelyhood itll be a trainwreck, but oh well.

I love the fact that R- Truth is co number 1 contender. I am not a fan but it was nice to be surprised. Everyone thought Morrison or Cena was going to win, what's the point of watching if you know the outcome. Thank you WWE for keeping me compelled because I had no idea what was going to happen.

It also gives it that real aspect. In MMA you have no clue who is going to win because it is a real fight. I thought it was cool R Truth just went on beast mode out of the blue.

People are really overreacting to this. I'm not the biggest fan of R-Truth in the world, but the guy isn't that bad at all. His gimmick is played out, his mic work is like nails on a chalkboard, but he can move in the ring.

I think one reason they put a third man in the main event is to take some of the load off of Cena. Keep in mind that this match is going to be an extreme rules match, so that means there are going to be some pretty rough spots in this match. Better R-Truth takes the move dangerous bumps than John Cena, as Cena has a pretty historical match booked in a little under 12 months.

And finally, the reason they put Truth in there instead of Morrison, Ziggler, or Orton is because it allows these guys to get more exposure by wrestling their own matches. I think we'll see Morrison vs. Ziggler at Extreme Rules, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Orton continue his feud with Nexus now that they seem to have returned.

I agree with people saying its refreshing to see new people in the title picture other than the boring Randy Orton and the absolutly crappy John Cena but please... R-TRUTH... i mean seriously!!

He hasnt been seen on RAW in ages, didnt have a match at Mania and was chosen above Dolph Ziggler and John Morrison (understandably considering the heat he has at the minute)

In my opinion Dolph Ziggler should have been given that spot...
R-Truth will never amount to anything other than filler for the multi-man battles like Elimination Chamber.

I agree with people saying its refreshing to see new people in the title picture other than the boring Randy Orton and the absolutly crappy John Cena but please... R-TRUTH... i mean seriously!!

He hasnt been seen on RAW in ages, didnt have a match at Mania and was chosen above Dolph Ziggler and John Morrison (understandably considering the heat he has at the minute)

In my opinion Dolph Ziggler should have been given that spot...
R-Truth will never amount to anything other than filler for the multi-man battles like Elimination Chamber.

I agree and i'm not a fan of either Morrison or R-truth. Ziggler deserved it the most and it was true what he said "i'm the most talented guy in the ring." He could make for a good champion but he's not big enough I guess. Truth is just a filler like you said. Taking Morrison's place, so in other words replacing a bad wrestler with another bad wrestler means nothing really.

I tl;dr'ed the thread to just answer the question in the title.

Because someone has to be there for The Miz or Cena to pin without pinning one another.

I can't exactly say that I'm a fan of R-Truth. Like several guys in the WWE, I do think Truth gets his fair share of unjustified hate. I have a feeling that something significant could be done with Truth here, I'm guessing a heel turn.

Also, why are people just automatically assuming, again, that Cena will win at Extreme Rules? Truth's presence in the match could just as easily be so that Miz can get the fall and retain the title without hurting Cena.

At any rate, whether you're a fan of this decision, whether you hate it or not entirely sure altogether at this point, the WWE has again managed to pull off something to keep people interested in what's gonna happen in the WWE Championship picture.

I dont mind it so much, mostly becuase its atonement. Atonement for at least a year of R-Truth being one of the most over people on the roster and receiving fuck all of use in a title scene or angle. Its about fuckin time.

This right here is another great reason Truth deserves this. When he was appearing on RAW on a regular basis R Truth was getting the biggest pops on the roster outside of Cena and Orton. You all may hate his gimmick, his rapping, and his dancing, but the majority of the crowd loves it. Even with all that he still got shit for a push outside a very short US title reign. John Morrison wishes he could get the type of reaction that Truth does.

I do not think R truth will win the title but i think this is a way to get him back into the mid card and stop jobbing. Also, if he does win, he may develop a new gimmick, better skills, and become better overall. I think it is a great opportunity for him. Also, they may not have chosen Jomo for the backstage heat with Trish issue.

At any rate, whether you're a fan of this decision, whether you hate it or not entirely sure altogether at this point, the WWE has again managed to pull off something to keep people interested in what's gonna happen in the WWE Championship picture.

I agree with you here people are talking about the WWE title match et Extreme Rules but i dont think it was WWEs plan to have R-Truth in the match.

This is the same old WWE being petty and holding back John Morrison becasue of the heat on him (for the record im not a Morrison fan, this guy needs a serious gimmick change to ever make it to the main event and he needs to be heel.)

There is no way Truth would have got this match if morrison wasnt in the dog house

I will say though, they really made Truth look real good yesterday. He took a lot of pain but still didn't quit. Not even SuperCena could stop him.

Face it, haters, Truth is number one contender and he is going whip Cena and Miz's a**

R-Truth is a good talker, fascinating to watch in the ring (that suplex into a stunner move should be his finisher, it is amazing) and gets a good pop. He needs to get involved in an actual story and add some actual CHARACTER though. Hopefully this push will see him evolve into more than the guy who gets the crowd going. Make him a mix of a younger, mid-card rapping Cena babyface and Ahmed Johnson who always got put down dirty when trying to get anywhere and I think you'd have a good performer on your hands.

This is not why he is on the top card though. He's there so WWE can look like they aren't just giving the same handful of guys a go, because Morrison has supposed backstage heat and to give an out that isn't Cena being pinned.

Really WWE? Really? You can't have Cena being pinned 2 PPV's in a row so R F*****g Truth gets a main event spot?

This is a guy who has been botch-heavy the last few months (whenever we've even seen him) in the ring AND on the mic (Green Bay Wis Con Sin!). What about his tag team title shot that he's supposedly getting with Johnny Curtis?

This is the most perplexing and irritating bit of booking that I've seen in a long while. I'm all for fresh faces in the main even scene, but an un-over mediocre worker that isn't as popular as he was 2 years ago is not the way to go.

That's what's up.

I don't think anyone has said it but it is good to see a black guy make the top of the card again too. Over the past 15 years I have been watching, many great black wrestlers have just been downright ignored. Faarooq got, what, 1 shot? Booker was dropped back down to the midcard when the invasion happened and had to wait to be King Booker for a push. Big, strong, potentially interesting guys like Zeq Jackson and Bobby Lashley have been kept at a midcard at highest; same with smaller guys like Shelton Benjamin and Orlando Jordan. If there wasn't the Rock or the Latino guys to point at, WWE would look whiter than a ghost (the Mark Henry heel push was also surprisingly good considering it was Mark Henry).

I'm not saying this will change anything but there are black guys in the WWE who get huge pops from the crowd like Truth and Kofi getting closer to big matches v. Cenas and Del Rios, maybe the next gen won't look like Sheamus's chest.

It's obvious Cena is going to win the belt at Extreme Rules so my guess is that R-Truth's presence is because they want to re-ignite the feud between The Miz and R-Truth after the Miz drops the belt at Extreme Rules.

Otherwise, it makes no sense. Either that or they're going to do an R-Truth heel turn (meaning Miz would retain the title).

Sigh... I come back to this thread to find more people complaining about the decision. I guess it's true about what they say about the IWC never being happy. It's not like Truth is gonna win the world title at the PPV so I honestly don't see what the problem is. If Morrison is not in this spot because of the heat that was put on him for his treatment of Trish Stratus, well that's no one's fault except his own. If Morrison was meant to be in this match prior to his backstage heat, then he has no one to blame for this but himself. Truth is a more than adequate replacement. He has consistently gotten some of the biggest pops on the roster (cheap or not, he has gotten good pops from the crowd) and his over with the fans. No, his mic work isn't the best but it's passable and he can move in the ring. We have a new face in the world title picture. Isn't that what everyone wanted? The guy has paid his dues after being put in major angle after major angle (most notably the original Nexus angle) but has still never gotten his shot. He's a seasoned veteran and I feel he deserves it. Besides, like I said before, it's not like he's gonna win the world title. He's the wild card in this match and could add some unpredictability to the match. Personally (assuming he isn't just going to be used as a scapegoat), I can honestly see Truth turning heel at some point in the future. His interaction with Cena towards the end of RAW made me consider that possibility and honestly, I think it would be a good thing as it would freshen up his character.

So, guess I won't be ordering Extreme Rules unless WWE does something to balance this out. When the match ended in the double DQ, I prayed that we were going to get a six pack challenge. But no, my fears were confirmed and we get this.

Essentially, we know R-Truth is there to take the pin. But there's no reason why he should be in there instead of Ziggler or maybe JoMo. Ziggler at least is the far surperior worker and has been great since losing the IC title. But they wanted to truly stack the odds against Miz, so they couldn't have another heel. And I would've preferred JoMo too, but he's getting heat for the crap with Trish Stratus. So that apparently left us with R-Truth. Really?

Firstly, WWE is supposed to be in a youth movement, yet we get R-Truth, a man who is actually 2 years older than Edge, in the WWE title match? Pretty much anyone would've been better, heel or face. Sheamus? Punk? Ziggler? JoMo? Bryan? Triple H if he's felt good enough? Hell, you could've even thrown Sin Cara in there, would've been interesting and got a lot of buys in Mexico. But no. We're stuck with Truth. The guy who the Miz (and certainly Cena) will get nothing from pinning in terms of furthering himself. The guy who gets the best cheap pops since Foley. The reports are true, Vince has gone a bit mad.

I see it as a good thing ultimately. Look at Smackdown for a minute. With Edge leaving, that leaves who to chase the championship and feud with ADR? Christian is the logical choice for the short term, but what other big name faces do they have right now on that show? Big Show, Mysterio, Kofi,

Other faces: Chris Masters, JTG Trent Baretta

That leaves nobody to really take things over. Mysterio is currently fighting with Rhodes, which needs to come to it's logical conclusion to move Rhodes up into ME status. Big Show is tagging with Kane over the titles....at least for now, I imagine they'll break that up soon enough.

They need some fresh faces on SD, and in a hurry. If they can have guys like R-Truth look strong in a title match at a PPV, then if they move them over to the other show, it wouldn't be too difficult for everyone to see him as a credible threat to the title chase over there. Even if he never wins it, he'll be able to help carry the show a little while until they get replacement talent in place for the long term.

I'm not putting R-Truth on the same level as Edge, don't get me wrong, but they could do (and have done) a hell of a lot worse than Mr. Killings.

I've read through he past few pages. STOP saying that Morrison is being punished. That whole backstage thing was probably a work. Besides, how is being the token third guy so he can get pinned constituting a "push" for Truth? Yea it's a title match but it means nothing. Keeping Morrison out means they're holding him for something else. Probably something better.

I agree with the handful here that think this makes no sense.

It is completely out of nowhere that Truth is in the Main Event of a PPV and (as another poster said) this can only be to set up a feud with The Miz following Extreme Rules.

I think the WWE may be ready to put the strap on Cena and have him hold it ALL THE WAY until WM 28 to make the match with The Rock that much more of a big deal (but what if the Rumble winner wants in ... lol).

I like R-Truth and think the pops he gets alone are worth a higher placement on the card than he has gotten in the last six months or so, but that still does not make this seem right in any way shape or form. I think Truth can work at this level, but there is no logical storyline explanation as to why he is suddenly supposed to be believable as a WWE Championship contender.

Hell, I would have had a hard time with JoMo even, but he would have made more sense if you had to have a triple threat with a second face. Just a lot of confusion on this one for me.

Truth being thrown in this match really isn't that big of deal. It's obvious he's just be a lame duck for the match, but it's still a nice change of pace. My issue comes with him going over Ziggler and Morrison...it makes no sense...at all. Ziggler has been pretty much jerked around since he "world title" win, to barely competing at WM, to jobbing to Truth, and Morrison is all peaks and valleys at this point. I mean when was the last time Truth was even on TV? I know it's just spot to allow Miz and Cena to look strong, but you can't tell me Morrison or Ziggler wouldn't have benefited more from this.

This is a good thing, so stop complaining:

-I too expected JoMo to get the spot, and you'd be lying if you say you think this isnt punishment. And quite frankly, he deserves it. He gave Trish the cold shoulder and rejected all of her creative input for their WM match/feud, which could have gone a lot better than it did. I don't care how good you can flip, spin, and parkour all over the place, don't f*ck up the product.

-Truth getting in does have it's bad side. He hasn't won a match against anyone who isn't Kidd or Dibiase since that tag match with Rey. He was left off the WM card. And now he's th #1 contender. I'm glad he got it, but why bury him for so long then have him pull this win out of his ass like that (even if he did impress the shit out of me last night)? Not his fault though, creative's.

-This is a big window of opportunity because Truth is over as hell, ok on the mic and can go in the ring. If you can build him up a bit more, send him and JoMo to SD! to make up for Edge's retirement (Thank you Edge, btw. You deserve it.) And plus, someone is gonna go heel in this thing, and whether its Truth or Cena, it would be a blessing.

My only complaint about Truth will be the Lie Detector. It seems he's picked up the PayDirt/Play of the Game from Shelton/MVP so maybe it's a smooth transition. By the Way, has anyone noticed that they always pass that move on to black wrestlers, and the ones who do get the move end up leaving WWE soon after? I smell conspiracy... :(

This thread is proof positive that legit unpredictability is something that the IWC doesn't want. Again, the WWE does something that nobody sees coming and, if anything, they get criticized even more. It's pathetic.

During the match, we all kept expecting R-Truth to get pinned and, instead, he shows guts & fortitude by getting past two guys that look to be generally higher up on the totem pole than himself and holds his own with the biggest star in the company. Now, he winds up as being part of a triple threat match at Extreme Rules for the WWE Championship.

Would I have personally preferred John Morrison or Dolph Ziggler? Yeah, sure I would have. This could be a great match and an interesting 3 way feud over the title but all anyone wants to do is bitch that their favorite didn't win the match. Why not just try and let yourself be entertained? Why not actually see how this plays out for a bit before immediately trashing the shit out of it?

This is exactly what I was thinking.. People come on here and complain about WWE and TNA being too predictable, so they shake it up some, and everyone comes and complains even more... Is there any time where the company would not get criticized for doing something to entertain the fans?

Anyway, I think having Truth in the match is a good thing for truth, as it gives him some credibility... HOWEVER, there are a few things I do seem wrong about the match for extreme rules... I can see truth carrying his own weight and really facing off with Miz, and Cena come in at the end and take the win for himself... I would hate for that to happen, but at the same time, I cannot see R-Truth walking away with the WWE title...

Can anybody see this going out as a "Mr Anderson rematch" chase? I heard R-Truth say "I have never gotten a ONE ON ONE title match for the WWE title..."

This is exactly what I was thinking.. People come on here and complain about WWE and TNA being too predictable, so they shake it up some, and everyone comes and complains even more... Is there any time where the company would not get criticized for doing something to entertain the fans?

People are shitting on it because it's fucking stupid.

R-Truth wasn't even booked on WrestleMania. WRESTLE-FUCKING-MANIA! And eight days later, he gets a title shot at the next PPV? It's a joke. It's lazy, TNA style booking. The WWE has utterly failed to build up any legitimate faces in the last half-decade, so they are forced to hotshot Superstars drivel into the main event.

No, they should not be commended for it. Shock value for the sake of shock value does not equal good booking. Or, excuse me, it IS good booking, but only when the WWE does it. Not when TNA does it. Then, it's rightfully viewed as the fucking ******ed nonsense that it is.

Many of you that don't care if R-Truth is in the match because he's not gonna win just doesn't make sense. If a guy has no chance, then why is he put into the match? Why not put the Bella twins in there instead? I really don't see why Truth is in this match. He hasn't gotten a legitimate push to be in the main event. It just seems like he was thrown in there. The "I never got a shot at the title" just doesn't cut it for me. I never got a shot either, should I be in that match as well? I would have wanted to see Alex Riley in the triple threat and see a "pathetic' win by Miz. That would still make Cena look legit and give the Miz more heel heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back