Why I don’t like John Cena.

Toothlessagression1980

Occasional Pre-Show
many are probably wondering why do I have so much hatered for Cena? Well your about to find out.

Now When Cena first came to the wwe in 2002 he came across as really fake and corny as a matter fact he was even more corny as the thuganomics character, who the hell is this wannabe? He’s not Nas or Dmx, he’s not a real rapper he’s a wannabe so even then I could see that this guy was an absolute fraud I called it fraudanomics.

But even in the early stages around 2004 you could see where they were going with this guy you could see the company slowly start to build him up, and I thought to myself oh god there really not going to make this guy the top guy right? I hope not.. because Cena was just awful he couldn’t wrestle, his promos were corny, he was just fake.. but something told me that this guy would soon be the face of the company..

At wrestlemania 21. Cena squashes Bradshaw a pattern that would happen with alot of Cena matches in 2005 and 2006, with Cena being protected and pretty much dominating the match..

By the summer of 2005. Some Fans started to wise up and see the truth.. see here’s the thing Smackdown is a pg crowd so when Cena was on Smackdown he was able to get away with being corny but when he came to raw? That’s where the hardcore fanbase was.. and the whole Cena vs angle feud was a complete joke with Cena just dominating angle every match..

For the next 9 years Cena held guys down, buried people that were better then him, and was constantly pushed down people’s throats and you could see each and every year the ratings and audience and viewership numbers begin to slowly and steadily decline and so did profits..

Oh but Cena sells merchandise? Yeah Because the company wouldn’t allow anybody else to surpass Cena in merchandise.. everytime a hot act came along, cm punk, bray Wyatt, etc attach Cena to that storyline to either bury or suck the momentum away from them. And let’s not even get into the countless people he’s played politics on.

What about all those years of him exploiting troops and cancer patients just to get himself over? what a joke this guy is he’s a fake marine too, just like he was a fake wannabe rapper. You think he gives a damn about those troops? No he just uses them to get himself over.

Cena can’t tell an in ring story to save his life, he’s nothing but a weight room athlete, his matches are filled with botches and sloppiness, he can’t even apply his own finisher right the stf still looks like shit after so many years and he’s not gotten better either the only matches he’s good in are matches he’s in with people that actually work like an aj or cm punk, guys that can take bums and carry them to decent to great matches.

So In conclusion John Cena is the most overrated professional wrestler in history he’s never had top guy talent, he’s never been good, he’s never improved,

Last edited:
Nothing against your opinion, it's only your opinion. That's why fans aren't running a wrestling company in my mind because if you they were running a wrestling company, they would only booked guys they like.

Love him or hate him, you can say that Cena wasn't a draw for the company. The fact is that Cena made WWE a ton of money over his 15 years career and always proved he was a a main event draw and sadly one of the last true main eventer the WWE produce.

Also i want to point out something that many of the younger wrestling fans seems to not understand and you wrote about it in you post. Cena didn't held guys down, while he was the biggest guy in the company, he didn't have the power to tell Vince Mcmahon what to do. He's just a good company man that did his job like most pro wrestlers on in his position would do. The whole this guy held people down stuff is a narrative created by the dirt sheet writers to sell newsletter and later on sell podcast.

If that was the case, you could say the same thing about every top guy in history. From Sammartino to ric flair to hulk hogan to HBK to Stone Cold to The Rock and To John cena. These guys were on top because they connected with fans. They were able to give create a connection with fans that a lot of the other wrestlers couldn't. That's why they were on top and Cena, like him or not, was one of those that was able to create that connection with fans. His feud with Edge was awesome and told a great story, so did his feud with HHH, Batista, HBK, Kurt angle and CM Punk just to name a few. I did such a good job in creating that bond with fans that even the most hardcore of John Cena haters would buy his merchandise, that's how big his connection with the fans was. And again just look at how he was received last monday night on raw, he got such a big reaction, maybe top 3 with Hogan and Austin, So on that aspect alone, i think Cena is more then respected by the WWE Fans at this point.

Personally, i had my up and down with my fandom of John Cena but i always respected him because i understood why he stood on top for so long. It wasn't because he wanted to or held people down like you mention, but it was because business wise, it made sense and he was one of the few guys in the WWE that actually was a attraction and was putting butt in seat which they are disparately in need off right now. So for me, looking at his body of work and what he meant for the Current Era of WWE, i actually like and respect Cena.

"Doctor of Thuganomics" John Cena is quite entertaining, particularly in small doses.

"Hustle, Loyalty, Respect" Cena is quite annoying and grew stale many, many years before he entered semi-retirement.

As for John Cena as a person? He strikes me as a guy putting on a face for a camera. He struck me as the biggest diva on Total Divas (yes, even more so than Nikki Bella). He's a solid actor in that he can convince you of his humility, respectfulness, and easy-goings with his semi-aloof interviews outside of wrestling and "Make A Wish" work. However, I don't buy that this is "the real" John Cena one bit. I'd not be surprised if those closest to Cena would ultimately describe him as an eccentric/neurotic with a massive narcissism complex.

ADDED: I'm also quite annoyed at how how often he very audibly calls spots in his matches... even calling his opponents spots at times. This behavior absolutely destroys suspension of disbelief and has not seemed to diminish in all the years I've been watching him. I'd think that if this was any other Superstar, Vince and friends would've been all over him, telling him to cease and threatening to pull him out of matches (or off the card completely) should it continue. But no... Cena is as Cena does.

Last edited:
Most overrated? I think Otto Wanz has that one.

I won't argue with your points, I'll just go the route of explaining why I, myself, hate John Cena.

Now, I use the term hate loosely. There was a time when I hated John with a passion, but that hatred has been subsided by several of his efforts, which I'll get into later.

In a nutshell; I hate John Cena because he never deserved the spots that he was given prior to his solidified status as the top guy of the WWE. At that point, it just made sense in regard to continuity that John would win certain matches.

John's first gimmick with UPW and OVW was that of the prototype, a guy who would act like a robot during his promos and say weird shit like "THERE IS A DISTURBANCE IN THE MATRIX!" Cena was a slow learner, but promoters and fans liked his look. John went to the WWE as a fresh face to help fluff up Smackdown's roster after the brand split, and he was a last minute replacement for The Undertaker when it came to Kurt Angle's open challenge.

Fine. John stepped up, and he put on a great match with Kurt Angle. I'm cool with that.

John went on a series of show-offy matches as "The Rookie" where he'd out-finesse so called veterans like *ugh* Bob Holly. Alright, whatever. They have to fill time, and they may as well use a worthless sack of dead weight like Bob Holly while he's on the payroll.

John's transition to being a doctor of thuganomics made as much sense as having an actual doctorate in thuganomics. John would freestyle rap (horribly, trust me) while traveling with other wrestlers and staff members. This was 2004-5, and the general public had very shallow standards of rap when a white rapper was still as rare as a fucking unicorn. John was on a bus with Stephanie McMahon, and she challenged John to cut a rap that focused on a can of tuna that she was holding. Apparently John rapped so well, that Stephanie insisted that they could market him as their version of Eminem.

So.... the gimmick that took John to the top happened because of a fucking can of tuna. No grueling journey to the top filled with dramatic highs and lows. The fans were so awestruck by this white dude that could rap, that they overlooked his paint by numbers wrestling style.

Now, John CAN wrestle. He has the instinct, he has the wisdom, he can read the crowd, he can respond accurately to cues from the refs or commentators, and he can call a match on the fly if need be. He's done all of this. But for some fucking reason, John's matches would devolve into the same tired formula.

John's formula:

John starts off as you'd expect him to depending on his opponent. If he's against Crash Holly, he beats him up. If he's against Brock Lesnar, he gets beat up but does so while fighting back occasionally.

Eventually, John mounts a mighty offense. John looks like he's ready to close the match.

Oh no! John falls prey to a mishap that's not his fault in any way (sort of). Now his opponent has him at a weakness, and takes full advantage.

John draws energy from the crowd, and he fights back. Slowly, but surely, John is back to his feet and he's bouncing off the ropes and... oh no! John got WHOMPED!

John's opponent attempts a pin, John kicks out. John's opponent gets smart and does some super devastating move, then attempts another pin that John kicks out of.

John's opponent gets frustrated, and can't focus on the match. John takes advantage! John hits the five moves of doom! AND! LOL CENA WINS!

Every. Fucking. Pay. Per. View.

Eventually John lost the belt to Edge, but he didn't lose his status as the top guy. This ticked me off. Someone else is the world champion, but John is getting the main events even if those main events don't involve the World Championship.

Sure enough, Edge drops the belt to Cena not soon after and we're back to square one. But wait! What's this!? John lost the belt to RVD! Oh sunny day! Oh shit. RVD lost the belt to Edge, who promptly lost the belt back to Cena. In the meantime, John was still the top guy.

Later on when John lost the belt to CM Punk, and CM Punk was arguably more popular than John Cena at the time, John was still the top guy getting the top matches.

Say what you want about how good John was, it's bullshit to drop the belt and not elevate the new champion.

As time went on, John was just the man. He proved that the WWE's faith was never squandered on him, even if at times it seemed a little misguided. He stayed with them, made a SHIT TON of money for them, and to this day he's one of the few positive aspects of the WWE.

I think that Edge was the person mentioned above who would have been worthy of John's prestige, but as we all know fate dealt Edge a dirty hand. In light of that, I really don't think that John ever held anyone down. I think that John was protective of his spot, but I don't think that he ever pulled a Shawn Michaels and had deserving talent buried. John's opponents that couldn't hack it, proved that they couldn't hack it due to reasons that had nothing to do with John.

John has had phenomenal matches, long after his run as the top guy ran its course. He and AJ put on absolute clinics.

So, yeah, I hate John Cena and I don't think that he deserved what he was given. But... he's a good person, a good wrestler, and the WWE is better for having had him work for them.

many are probably wondering why do I have so much hatered for Cena? Well your about to find out.

Now When Cena first came to the wwe in 2002 he came across as really fake and corny as a matter fact he was even more corny as the thuganomics character, who the hell is this wannabe? He’s not Nas or Dmx, he’s not a real rapper he’s a wannabe so even then I could see that this guy was an absolute fraud I called it fraudanomics.

But even in the early stages around 2004 you could see where they were going with this guy you could see the company slowly start to build him up, and I thought to myself oh god there really not going to make this guy the top guy right? I hope not.. because Cena was just awful he couldn’t wrestle, his promos were corny, he was just fake.. but something told me that this guy would soon be the face of the company..

At wrestlemania 21. Cena squashes Bradshaw a pattern that would happen with alot of Cena matches in 2005 and 2006, with Cena being protected and pretty much dominating the match..

By the summer of 2005. Some Fans started to wise up and see the truth.. see here’s the thing Smackdown is a pg crowd so when Cena was on Smackdown he was able to get away with being corny but when he came to raw? That’s where the hardcore fanbase was.. and the whole Cena vs angle feud was a complete joke with Cena just dominating angle every match..

For the next 9 years Cena held guys down, buried people that were better then him, and was constantly pushed down people’s throats and you could see each and every year the ratings and audience and viewership numbers begin to slowly and steadily decline and so did profits..

Oh but Cena sells merchandise? Yeah Because the company wouldn’t allow anybody else to surpass Cena in merchandise.. everytime a hot act came along, cm punk, bray Wyatt, etc attach Cena to that storyline to either bury or suck the momentum away from them. And let’s not even get into the countless people he’s played politics on.

What about all those years of him exploiting troops and cancer patients just to get himself over? what a joke this guy is he’s a fake marine too, just like he was a fake wannabe rapper. You think he gives a damn about those troops? No he just uses them to get himself over.

Cena can’t tell an in ring story to save his life, he’s nothing but a weight room athlete, his matches are filled with botches and sloppiness, he can’t even apply his own finisher right the stf still looks like shit after so many years and he’s not gotten better either the only matches he’s good in are matches he’s in with people that actually work like an aj or cm punk, guys that can take bums and carry them to decent to great matches.

So In conclusion John Cena is the most overrated professional wrestler in history he’s never had top guy talent, he’s never been good, he’s never improved,

You hate Cena because:-

-He is more talented than you
-He is more famous than you
-He has more money than you
-He can pull hotter women than you
-He was on the top of his profession, whereas you are still a bottom-feeder in yours.
-He isn't obsessed with you, like you are of him.
-He isn't still hating on some guy who hasn't been around for the last year, unlike you who refuses to move on. Cena isn't on your TV screen anymore, get over it.
-He is better than you every day in every way.

Cena kills the pushes of better wrestlers to appeal to kids. Kids don't appreciate wrestling. Honestly he would have never lasted in ECW.

You hate Cena because:-

-He is more talented than you
-He is more famous than you
-He has more money than you
-He can pull hotter women than you
-He was on the top of his profession, whereas you are still a bottom-feeder in yours.
-He isn't obsessed with you, like you are of him.
-He isn't still hating on some guy who hasn't been around for the last year, unlike you who refuses to move on. Cena isn't on your TV screen anymore, get over it.
-He is better than you every day in every way.

What a stupid comment, but I shouldn't be surprised coming from a freaking moron like you.

While never huge fan of Cena's you have to admit that he almost carried the WWE on his back for the better part of a decade. He is an upstanding guy and one that Vince counted on and he never disappointed.

His charity work is second to none, work he still does to this day. Listen Cena was never going to appeal to everyone, he's just two goody goody for that, he's mainly there for the kids and they love him. I really kind of miss him now that he's gone. When I do watch it seems there is something missing. The other wrestlers don't or can't get the crowd going the way Cena did. When he came out the crowd perked right up. Just doesn't happen anymore.

One of my favorite John Cena
o.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back