• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why can't we change our own Usernames?

Slyfox696

Excellence of Execution
Not that it's really that big of a deal to me, as I like mine, but I was wondering why posters have to ask to have their usernames? I know that vbulletin allows users to change their names, but why not this board?

Not a complaint, just a question.

Also, I ask this in here, as it's just a passing curiosity and not really that important.

I'm sure if Jonny was able to make it an available option he would. But I think it's something only Chris Cash would install.

Gotcha.

Is Cash the person to get other things done on the board (like the addition of smileys or new avatars or whatever)?

Not that it's really that big of a deal to me, as I like mine, but I was wondering why posters have to ask to have their usernames? I know that vbulletin allows users to change their names, but why not this board?

You dont know VB very well then, it isn't a standard feature with VB... it is with IPB but VB have yet to come out with an update (that we can have) that will allow it. I'm sure there is some kind of modification to allow posters to change their names however as we all know no-one here but Chris can install things and considering I've already asked for alot of things from him, none of which we have gotten the chances of getting it installed are between 0 and 0.

Gotcha.

Is Cash the person to get other things done on the board (like the addition of smileys or new avatars or whatever)?

It can be done through the Admin CP, but whoever installed the board originally screwed up and you get an error when trying to upload new smilies/avatars... it's the same reason we can't get custom Av's as well... another thing I have asked over and over to be fixed but with no success.

You dont know VB very well then, it isn't a standard feature with VB... it is with IPB but VB have yet to come out with an update (that we can have) that will allow it. I'm sure there is some kind of modification to allow posters to change their names however as we all know no-one here but Chris can install things and considering I've already asked for alot of things from him, none of which we have gotten the chances of getting it installed are between 0 and 0.
I'm a member of 2 other wrestling forums that are VB and have the freedom to change our usernames on our own. It may not be a standard feature, but it is certainly something that can be done.

Now, I understand about the installation stuff, and it may be something that is installed. I just know it can be done.

And, why is it only him that install/fix stuff? Because he owns it? How does that work?

I'm a member of 2 other wrestling forums that are VB and have the freedom to change our usernames on our own. It may not be a standard feature, but it is certainly something that can be done.

Now, I understand about the installation stuff, and it may be something that is installed. I just know it can be done.

And, why is it only him that install/fix stuff? Because he owns it? How does that work?

Like I said, there is a Mod to do it but it's not a standard feature...

Basically in order to install add on's to the Board you need access to the Database through an FTP Client, there is coding that is required to be edited in order for new features to function properly... it's not a hard process really, you get bits of code you have to insert into certain parts of files the FTP Client does all the hard stuff for you... however there is always the possibility that I could screw it up along the way and place the code in the wrong place and screw the board up etc... obviously the Forum owners would not be willing to give myself access to such a sensitive part of the Forum... I once asked the previous owner Brian for access to that part of the board and he point blank refused.

Unfortunately for us though, from what I have gathered Chris is both too busy and does not have the technical knowledge to make changes like that to the board (That is no insult to Chris, it's merely an observation from posts I have seen from him in the Board Room), so unless I was given access to both the root admin account and the database or someone else was bought in that the Crave people trust to make such changes we are stuck with the board exactly how it is.

Like I said, there is a Mod to do it but it's not a standard feature...

Basically in order to install add on's to the Board you need access to the Database through an FTP Client, there is coding that is required to be edited in order for new features to function properly... it's not a hard process really, you get bits of code you have to insert into certain parts of files the FTP Client does all the hard stuff for you... however there is always the possibility that I could screw it up along the way and place the code in the wrong place and screw the board up etc... obviously the Forum owners would not be willing to give myself access to such a sensitive part of the Forum... I once asked the previous owner Brian for access to that part of the board and he point blank refused.

Unfortunately for us though, from what I have gathered Chris is both too busy and does not have the technical knowledge to make changes like that to the board (That is no insult to Chris, it's merely an observation from posts I have seen from him in the Board Room), so unless I was given access to both the root admin account and the database or someone else was bought in that the Crave people trust to make such changes we are stuck with the board exactly how it is.

I see. Thanks for the information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back