Who Would Have Survived in the Attitude Era?

James Greiga

Pre-Show Stalwart
People constantly rant and rave over guys like

Daniel Bryan
Cm Punk
Cesaro
The Wyatt Family
The Shield
Dolph Ziggler
and Damien Sandow

I think some of them would have survived in the attitude era. When I say survived I mean they would have been more than just jobbers and actually stayed with the company for more than a few months. However, I know most of them would not have made it to the main events. When you judge this question PLEASE do not say "their bodies wouldn't have fit" because during that time just about everyone used steroids so we don't know what their bodies would have looked liked. The only cases that can be used for are Bryan and Punk because we all know they would have refused to use them.

The Wyatt Family didn't fit the certain look for one. They probably would have been stuck right in the Ministry but with different attire and probably dyed black hair like Mideon. It would have thrived in ECW though. Individually I think Bray Wyatt or Husky Harris or whatever would have been comparable to Bam Bam Bigelow or Vader in the sense that they were big and agile top guys. The difference is that Bray has great mic skills so he probably would have ascended to the main event in the following Ruthless Aggression era.

Cesaro has great ring work but charismatically he isn't the best so he definitely would have been above a Dean Malenko type but I see him as either being an enforcer for the Corporation a la Ken Shamrock or be a Steve Blackman type. If he were around in Bret Hart's era I definitely think he would have made it to the title picture. I actually see him as today's Bret Hart in the sense that Bret's ring work excused any mic skills he lacked. Same for Cesaro today but that would not have worked in the Attitude era.

Daniel Bryan definitely would not have made it. I know you guys are gonna say "Oh here he goes again spewing more hate" but I've come to realize that most of you see any opinion that doesn't praise him being hate but this is not hate I'm just judging it based on the setting. Daniel Bryan would never have taken steroids so that already takes away the possibility of his body fitting. His mic skills would have crippled him as well not to mention it was the "attitude" era so I feel his personality just doesn't fit into what the Attitude era was all about.

Cm Punk on the other hand I think would have done well. His small size would have kept him from the main event picture but with his Best in the World gimmick he would have fit in. I think he would have been the best of the upper-mid card and would have been Chris Jericho's greatest rival. Their personalities clashing just would be perfect especially in the TV-MA environment of the that era. Definitely wouldn't have been a main eventer though. And the "Best in the World" gimmick is the only gimmick of his that would have survived. The only way the other gimmicks would have made it to WWF is if they gained success in ECW first which i think they would have. But he wouldn't have done much after moving up, I think he'd be another Raven in that sense

Dolph Ziggler would have failed. Period. I doubt he would even have been hired in WWF or WCW and thats because his overall aura is just a Billy Gunn duplicate. The hair, the Fame-asser finisher, the ass shaking, the comparable ring attire, even the way he sells moves. ECW may have used him if he used the disgruntled pretty boy gimmick in the way he did in that promo on the app a few weeks ago but even that kinda reminds me of Shane Douglas.

Damien Sandow I think would have done well. In ECW I think he would have been heavily pushed. I could easily picture him coming out and insulting the intelligence of the wrestlers just for Sandman to whack the shit out of him or become the ECW champion because thats what the Network would have wanted. The only way he would have made it to the main event is as a response to Stone Cold in maybe 1998 where he would fit the perfect model of what Vince wanted as a WWF representative instead of using Mick Foley for that story because Mick would have made it with Mankind regardless. Not to mention can you imagine the collision of Stone Cold's personality with Sandow's? It's like a fire and ice mash up, total opposites

Now we get to The Shield. The Shield members definitely would have made it to the main event picture. I could easily see them in the Corporation. Or better yet, I could envision Vince getting pissed at the Corporation's failure and instead bringing the Shield to be his ultimate/last attempt at destroying Austin. Then The Shield would get out of hand and take down everyone in their path; heels,faces, and tweeners alike. Then the ultimate pay off would be Mankind or HHH, Austin, and Rock vs. The Shield. Then afterward (in addition to Bray Wyatt) heading into the Ruthless Aggression era becoming world champions individually as somewhat of the counterpart to the OVW Breakfast Club (Lesnar, Orton, Cena, and Batista).

Individually I think Reigns would have been in the same spot as Rikishi. I say that in the sense that Rikishi rivaled Austin to push the Rock then feuded with the Rock. I could see Reigns doing that instead of Rikishi. Only difference being Reigns would have actually won the belt at some point and stayed a main eventer. Seth Rollins I think would have been in the same category as RVD only that WWF would probably have treated him better and pushed him to the top sooner because unlike RVD the WWF would have created him personally which is why i think RVD wasnt given the title quicker. Dean Ambrose i think would have been an antagonizer. You that guy who's always in the main event picture but never gets the title like Piper or Kane or post-2004 JBL.He would have faired better in ECW or even WCW. Not WWF

My question is where do you think they would be position and how would they be booked?

I'm not sure any of them would have seriously made it other than CM Punk. And that would be to rival Stone Cold. Outside of that I'm not too sure if anyone else would have made it. I guess I could see Dolph in DX somewhere. But that would be about it.

I agree to the fact that Bryan wouldn't have made it, nor Ziggler. Ziggler due his gimmick and Bryan mainly due to his physical appearance. He isn't Benoit, not by a long shot.
The Shield would have been brilliant. I can almost see them as part of NWO, or maybe its copy back in WWF. Damien Sandow is a shot in the dark. I could see it happening, but not at the same time either.
Cesaro would have made it. Something tells me, maybe gut instinct, that whether his time is now or back then, his skill is undeniable and would have gotten AT LEAST upper-midcard attention.

Now, on to CM Punk. He's the best bet as to which modern superstar would thrive in the Attitude Era simply because Straight Edge Society would have gotten SO MUCH HEAT from the crowd. That whole perception alone would put a great feud between Stone Cold and CM Punk. I see him making it huge back then too.

I think you are overthinking certain stuff. Stars like the Rock and Stone Cold don't come a dime a dozen. When you have to take certain guys from today and make them work in the AE, you have to make them go against the Rock and Austin. That's hard. Thing is, you can't compare anything. PG doesn't allow the superstars to show their true potential and how they could act in the pg14 era. Austin got over because he was amazing, but because he was allowed to do more things than just pander to the crowd. Now you can't be a face and be amazing, except if you are Bryan.

To answer your question, and taking under consideration the full potential someone has, here is my list:
-Punk: He would be right on top with Austin and the Rock. Remember Punk's promos with the Rock, and how he ran down to brawl with him and stuff? That's AE at its finest. You have a guy in Punk that is excellent on the mic, has the brawling mentality too, if needed, and is the best out of Austin and the Rock in the ring. So yea, Punk would have been on top with Austin and the Rock.

-Ambrose: Watch how Dean acts when he is about to brawl. The guy really sells every fight. Pretty much same with Punk, he would fit right in.
-Rollins: I don't know about this one. He would be your typical mid-card, tag team guy. That's not bad, not bad at all. Look back at the tag teams in the AE and the matches they put on. Now imagine Rollins in there. Enough said.
-Reigns. He is a big guy. But we had a lot of big guys in the AE. Rock, HHH, Taker, Kane, Show, Austin, Jericho. They were all big guys. Reigns is just falling a lot short compared to them. He doens't have something to make him stand out to the guys mentioned above. I guess you could have him in the mid-card though, and if he improved on the mic, he could enter some title matches.

Bray Wyatt: Oh god, RIGHT INTO THE AE. He is the typical guy that you wanted to have there. Creepy gimmick, great story teller. Those two qualities were enough to put you into the main events. He can also wrestle. I can't imagine what this guy would have done.

Dolph Ziggler: I love the guy but he is Billy Gunn #2, just a bit better in the ring. He would be like Rollins. The tag team guy.

-Sandow: Nope. No place for him in the AE. His gimmick is too "slow" and "smart" to be part of the AE. It fits way better in this WWE. Personally, even though Sandow is excellent on the mic, I haven't seen a lot more from him. I don't know if that's because he isn't given enough time or he just isn't that good. Maybe it's creative ruining his runs. But at the moment, I'm not really impressed with him and I don't think he would fit the AE.

-Cesaro is kinda dull as far as character goes. Therefore, he wouldn't have made it. He is still a semi-big guy. I don't know on this one.

And now the heating question. Daniel Bryan. I don't know. Seriously, I don't know. Bryan in the ring is probably one of the best EVER. But he hasn't found a gimmick that makes you go wild. I mean, the YES thing is good and all, people react, but in the AE you need a compelling character and Bryan doesn't have it YET. I'm sure he can have one though. I remember when he turned on Bray inside the cage. He stood his ground and his facial expressions were pure gold. He sold that greatly. I think he would succeed. Not as face of the company or the most over guy, but definitely a guy you would like to see perform. He would be either in tag team matches, hardcore matches or world title matches.

It's not so much about the guys at the moment. It's about what each era needed. Right now, we have the PG era. Superstars can't create and apply characters to their full extent without being limited by the PG thing. That's why the best way to get over right now is to have some people care about you and put stellar performances IN THE RING. The guys who can do this today will get over.
In the AE on the other hand, character was the thing YOU HAD TO HAVE. If you couldn't talk on the mic, didn't have a compelling character, then you would have been lost into nothingness. Austin wasn't the best wrestler. Rock neither. But they were the biggest guys, because of the characters and their mic abilities.

You can't draw a line between these two eras and compare Superstars based on that, if that's what you are trying to achieve. As I said, different eras, different requirements. Bryan is the epitome of what is best for the PG environment.

I don't see why you are only looking at their gimmicks now and trying to say well so and so would fit in here and so and so wouldn't because they are too much like wrestler X.
There's no limit to the different gimmicks and styles that could have been given to these guys to try to make them work in different eras.

To think that guys that are talented enough to make it to the main event or even the midcard in WWE in today's era couldn't at least make it to a lower card spot in the WWF, WCW, or ECW during the Attitude Era is just too unbelievable in my mind.

It's not like the lower to mid card was always just overflowing with hall of fame level talent and was only held back by the greatness of Austin, et al. You really think that Daniel Bryan couldn't at the least have had a spot in the WCW Cruiserweight division? If you look at pure talent and don't consider politics, is their any doubt that Daniel Bryan wouldn't have filled Sean Waltman's role in DX better? Those are just two of the most obvious roles for him, but as I said there are countless angles and gimmicks that could have theoretically been used.

For me talent is talent and I can't see a talented guy like Bryan not finding a way to get over if he was given an opportunity to do so.

On DB - Less talented small guys like Crash Holly and

Just to remind you, There was an enormous surplus of main eventers in the attitude era before the invasion angle, Austin, Rock, HHH, Foley, Taker, Kane, Big Show...then along comes Jericho, and then Benoit and Kurt Angle. Edge worked all through the AE and never made it too the top. Let that sink in, the best heel in the WWE post attitude era couldn't get a title shot, the back bench of the AE had better stars than most guys on roster today - Bradshaw, Jeff Hardy, Booker, Eddie Guerrero, Christian all won world titles after years of waiting for a spot to open up at the top that does not even include guys who won ECW or TNA titles

In other words, no one from the modern roster would have been a world title contender in the AE, unless they are named Taker, Kane, Big Show or HHH

Lost half my post there not sure how, DB could have made a career in the AE but not at the level he is at now, less talented guys like Crash Holly and Spike Dudley had decent runs, Christian and Matt Hardy were there most of the era. But then none of the guys would have been anything more than a mid carder and then only for a short while at a time.

Lost half my post there not sure how, DB could have made a career in the AE but not at the level he is at now, less talented guys like Crash Holly and Spike Dudley had decent runs, Christian and Matt Hardy were there most of the era. But then none of the guys would have been anything more than a mid carder and then only for a short while at a time.

Thats true but you have to think of their personalities. Of the three of them including Bryan, whose personalities/gimmicks would have fit better in that era? The Attitude era was full of anti-heroes and a guy who fits the archetype for a babyface perfectly would not mesh. Spike got over because of his association with the Dudley's and their hardcore reputation. Crash Holly always kinda confused me as to why he got over but when you think about it they used him for more of a comic relief with the Hardcore title.

But I don't believe that first thing you said in your first post. The guys you mentioned I don't believe would have made it because they were actually in that era and didn't. But I think Brock Lesnar would have made it to the top. John Cena would have made it to the top too if he still had his original White Rapper gimmick because it fit the Attitude Era quite well. But I wasn't talking about making it in the main event card. In my original post I said just survive in general being more than a jobber. I know there's nearly no one who would have made it to the top tier from today back then but many would have at least made it to upper mid card

You are right I forgot about Brock, he would have made it to the top tier and taken some of Show and Kane's spot. No Cena would not have made it, because he doesn't deliver quality matches and there were tons of guys who did.

It's a hard question to answer, because wrestling back in the Attitude Era was a completely different animal than it is today.

For one, most of the guys characters back then were in large parts just extensions of their own personalities, and they got to show those personalities instead of memorizing a script like they have to today.

For all we know, let a Dolph Ziggler loose without any constraints, and he becomes the most charismatic guy on the roster.

Plus, unlike today, back then their was a greater emphasis on the mid card and character development there. Since every single one of these guys would have started out in the mid card at least, they would have had the same opportunities that guys back then had to develop those characters based off of who they really were.

Pretty much none of the guys you listed would have the same gimmicks they have today (Wyatt's and Punk I'd have to think would be the exceptions), but they all have talent, and considering the greater emphasis on ring work today as opposed to back then, would all have had excellent chances to succeed.

As for the guys saying Daniel Bryan wouldn't have been nearly as successful... keep this in mind. Whether you understand it or not, Bryan has that rare ability to really connect with a crowd. Most performers in history haven't been able to do it as well as he has been able to. I doubt he would have lost that ability in a different era, and that ability, above anything else, is what separates a main eventer from the other wrestlers.

You are right I forgot about Brock, he would have made it to the top tier and taken some of Show and Kane's spot. No Cena would not have made it, because he doesn't deliver quality matches and there were tons of guys who did.

Well it's not like Big Show and Kane were the best in the ring. In ring talent is only half the battle

As for the guys saying Daniel Bryan wouldn't have been nearly as successful... keep this in mind. Whether you understand it or not, Bryan has that rare ability to really connect with a crowd. Most performers in history haven't been able to do it as well as he has been able to. I doubt he would have lost that ability in a different era, and that ability, above anything else, is what separates a main eventer from the other wrestlers.

I understand why you would think that but I've been saying this for the longest. The attitude era fans connected with attitude. They connected with the new definition of babyface. They wouldn't cheer a guy who drinks beer, swears, and disrespects every single person he meets then cheer for a guy who swears, tells dirty jokes, insults every person he meets with catchphrases and eyebrows, and constantly shows off charisma with ease, then in the very same night cheer for a vegan who doesn't swear, is in very good moral standing, with little to no charisma. That just makes no sense. He is the complete opposite of what the Attitude era was about and he definitely would not have gotten over with that crowd. It would be different if he were CM Punk where his mic skills could actually use that to his advantage but he's not. Stone Cold would have demolished him as fans laughed at the sheer thought. There is a big difference between today's fans and AE fans just like there's a difference between today's fans and Golden Era fans. For instance, Austin in the 80's would have been the ultimate heel he was intended to be and Kurt Angle would have been a top babyface. If they debuted today Austin would be heel and Angle would be heel. Different eras, different definitions of face and heel. And let's be honest a heel Daniel Bryan in that era would be laughable

I think the mistake some of you are making in this topic is assuming that the men/their gimmick would've been the same back then as they are today, when in reality most if not all of them would've been drastically different.

Take Dolph for instance, there's no way he would be shaking his ass around while using the Fame-Asser, Billy Gunn was still there and so was Val Venis. Everything about Dolph would've been different, his moveset, gimmick, hell even his name.

Another thing that isn't being taken into account in this topic is the lack of Wellness, back then the vast majority of the roster took drugs, especially the top tier guys. Quite frankly it wouldn't surprise me at all if that entire list outside of punk would've been a lot bigger than they are today just because they felt like they had to take drugs to have a real shot against all the other jacked up guys.

Speaking of Punk I don't think he would've gotten very far at all. Remember he debuted as a boring face that just loved to wrestle, and was like that for years before they gave him a shot at being a heel and the chance to show what he could really do on the mic. I don't think they would've given him that chance, his lack of size would've been even more noticeable back then and he would've been let go long before he had a chance to shine.

Cena would've been fine, but I'm not sure if he would've broke into the top tier just from the sheer amount of competition.

I believe that in wrestling, the cream does have a way of rising to the top. Austin was given a lame gimmick when he first came in, but then when he finally got one small opportunity he took advantage of it, and because he's such a talented guy he got over. I think think Daniel Bryan could've gotten over big time in the attitude era as well. He definitely wouldn't have been the top guy, but think back to the year 2000. You had Rock as the top guy, Austin as number 2 when he came back, and Jericho was number 3. I could easily see Daniel Bryan being on the same level as Jericho. Sure Bryan is a smaller guy, but so was Jericho and he can obviously put on a great match and connect with the crowd in a big way. If you remember how the YES chant originally got over, it wasn't a babyface thing. It was an annoying heel thing that Bryan did as champion. Say that Bryan was being booked as a heel back in 1999-2000 and was the IC Champion or something. If he started doing the YES chant as a heel back then, I think it would've gotten over largely in the same way. Another thing that would be going for Bryan in the attitude era was the mentality of the booking. If something got over, it was pedal to the metal. The WWF couldn't afford to not give the fans what they wanted, because they knew that's what they had to do to survive. So if the YES thing was starting to catch on in the attitude era, the WWF would push the hell out of it.

CM Punk also obviously would have made it because he's one of the best all around performers in history. He's great in the ring, great on the mic, has a unique persona. There's no reason for him not to succeed. You could argue his size, but Michaels got over despite his size, and largely for the same reasons. CM Punk would use the straightedge gimmick and have a huge feud with Austin for the Title, he might not win the belt, but he'd be in the mix for sure. I'd also love to see Punk vs. Foley, and Punk vs. Undertaker back then would've been cool too.

The Wyatt Family would be Taker's goons in the Ministry. Slightly better versions of Mideon, Viscera and the Acolytes.

I highly doubt most of them would have any wheres near the careers that they are having now. I would think that most of them would be filling the mid card role..Ziggler would be feuding with Val Venus, CM Punk wouldn't be able to do his against all authority role seeing how Austin had that..so he would be chasing IC title at best

Not being able to talk would've crippled a lot of these guys, DB included.

Punk would've been great. He can work as a heel just as well as any heel they had back then, if not better.

Orton is another guy who hit his prime 10 or so years too late. His slow, methodical pace would've been great against someone like Austin. That's a feud I really wish we could've seen.

Heel Bryan, the insecure guy who abuses his girlfriend, would have fit in the Attitude era just fine. He was damned good in that role, and his ringwork would have made him. He wouldn't have fit into the world of twenty minute promos, but neither did a lot of the talent who worked in that era.

Also, from what little I've seen of his RoH work, Bryan (and Punk) would've thrived in a non-PG environment. They'd be able to develop their characters in ways that we don't see in the E these days.

tumblr_mss5hiRFKd1sg99p0o1_500.jpg

No one could have imagined this guy would one day became arguably the greatest heel of all time. I am sure the truly talented wrestlers would have adjusted to survive any era.

HHH was never even of the top heel of an era much less all time. He was second fiddle to HBK, then the Rock, then Vince. It isn't until now that he resembles anything close to a top heel and that's because all the other top heels have retired

In there current form i doubt hardly any would have made it but if they had the freedom of the attitude era it would be a different story a good example would might be sheamus right now he plays a typical irishman who loves to fight and is kind of dull imo but if it where the attitude era that character could be tweaked into an excessivly violent foul mouth drunken irishman and would be actually a lot of fun to watch.wwe has plenty of talented guys and good gimmicks but the fact is there are massive amount of restrictions in what they can say or do nowadays and there i plenty i wish i could see in attitude era conditions.:)

I understand why you would think that but I've been saying this for the longest. The attitude era fans connected with attitude. They connected with the new definition of babyface. They wouldn't cheer a guy who drinks beer, swears, and disrespects every single person he meets then cheer for a guy who swears, tells dirty jokes, insults every person he meets with catchphrases and eyebrows, and constantly shows off charisma with ease, then in the very same night cheer for a vegan who doesn't swear, is in very good moral standing, with little to no charisma. That just makes no sense. He is the complete opposite of what the Attitude era was about and he definitely would not have gotten over with that crowd. It would be different if he were CM Punk where his mic skills could actually use that to his advantage but he's not. Stone Cold would have demolished him as fans laughed at the sheer thought. There is a big difference between today's fans and AE fans just like there's a difference between today's fans and Golden Era fans. For instance, Austin in the 80's would have been the ultimate heel he was intended to be and Kurt Angle would have been a top babyface. If they debuted today Austin would be heel and Angle would be heel. Different eras, different definitions of face and heel. And let's be honest a heel Daniel Bryan in that era would be laughable

Something tells me you're a little less than objective when it comes to Daniel Bryan.

I was a fan during the Attitude Era. I was a fan back in the 80's. I'd like to think that I'm a good judge of talent in any era, and no matter what, there's one simple truth you're ignoring. Talent finds a way and rises to the top. Plus speaking as an Attitude Era fan... he gets over with me when a lot of the other guys on the roster today just don't interest me that much.

Bryan would have done just fine in the Attitude Era. He originally got over in this era as an angry, funny heel that the fans could connect with... by side skipping down to the ring chanting Yes, to alternating to a No chant once that caught on, to "I am the tag team champions". He kept finding ways to involve the audience and connect with them. Why would that aspect of who he is change just because he was in the era of Stone Cold and the Rock? Because you feel that fans back then were so simple minded that they could only appreciate dirty jokes and eyebrows?

You say the guy doesn't have any charisma? Like I said, you're obviously less than objective about Bryan... because NO ONE is able to connect with an audience like Bryan has been able to without having charisma. Don't confuse promo skills with someones level of charisma. Bryan's the type of guy that can connect with a single sentence or single gesture better than most can with a 10 minute monologue. It's a gift of his, and he would have found a way to use that gift in any era.

I don't know why a heel Daniel Bryan in that era would be laughable either. Like I said, he originally got over as an angry, funny heel in this era. That character alone would have worked back then too and got over because at the end of the day, it was entertaining and that is what wrestling fans tune in for... to be entertained. He's also an outstanding worker who also wouldn't have had the restrictions on working that they do today. Do you think he wouldn't have come up with some cool kicking spots that involved chairs just as one example?

The guy would have been fine. Talent finds a way. The ability to truly connect with an audience was just as rare back then as it is today, and the people that are capable of doing that were just as in demand back then as they are right now.

About The Shield, I would actually have preferred them in the Attitude era and I think their gimmick would have thrived more. I could see them as part of The Corporation easily.

Daniel Bryan would flounder, his fan base is just a rejection of the norm. He doesn't have a decent physique, he is nonathletic, and would never have the charisma to banter back and forth with the likes of Austin or The Rock.

CM Punk despite his lack of athleticism, probably would have received the same push because of his edgier gimmick. I could see him working well in hardcore matches etc.

The Wyatts would work but not to the degree they are over now. Back then you had The Brood dumping blood on people, The Undertaker trying to sacrifice Stephanie, and Kane shooting fireballs at people. With all of that The Wyatts just seem like diet coke. They would be midcard guys in the Ministry or something like that.

Cesaro is hard to tell because we have not seen his charisma, but he can work in the ring well.

I don't see Ziggler being a big draw.

Can we please give some credit to the Attitude Era writing staff? They had a lot to do with what we saw during that era. It's easy to say that many of today's wrestlers wouldn't thrive in the Attitude Era, but give today's wrestlers the benefit of the same AE writers that those wrestlers had. You know, the writers that took epic fails like Steve Austin the Ringmaster, Hunter Hearst Helmsley fresh off being Jean Paul Levesque and Rocky Maivia and transformed them into AE stars Stone Cold Steve Austin, Degeneration X star Helmsley (who eventually became HHH) and the Rock. Do the wrestlers have input into their character creation/revamp? Of course they do, but don't minimize what the writers do. Someone mentioned the iterations of CM Punk and I agree. Today's "Best in the World" Punk probably would have done ok in the Attitude Era. But the boring Punk and even the Straight Edge Society Punk…I don't know, the WWE already had those kind of characters in the Attitude Era so probably not. Punk had the benefit of a character rewrite/revamp and now we have this current cool version.

My other point is what we have in today's WWE is in large part the PG versions of their Attitude Era counterparts.
• Damian Sandow - some said he would fail in the AE. Guess what? That era had Sandow like characters. First the Genius Lanny Poffo and then Shane Douglass's teacher character. In my opinion Sandow is more entertaining than them just because he negatively plays to the crowd more.
• Ziggler - many of the characteristics of Val Venis
• Broadus Clay - Rikishi, with a tiny splash of the Godfather (because of the women at ringside)

etc. Again give today's characters that era's writers and they would have made them edgy enough to be ok in the Attitude Era.

Believe it or not I think Del Rio would have done ok in the Attitude Era. I think those writers could have taken the concept of snobbish Mexican aristocrat and really done something edgy with it. And Del Rio would have had appeal to the Latino fanbase, something the WWE does a great job with now (in fact he gets lost when we already have Rey, Sin Cara, Los Matadores) but not really back then.

Regarding the Shield, I do not think they would have survived in the Attitude era. Not as they are currently packaged. Not because of their look or mic skills, but because their push was centered around triple team squashes of all the main faces week after week. The top level talent of the AE, Austin, Rock, HHH, Michaels, Lesnar, would not have gone for that and would have probably walked first before agreeing to get beat down by new guys on a regular basis without any wins against them. If you took the Shield apart and repackaged the members, maybe but not as "The Shield."

My other point is what we have in today's WWE is in large part the PG versions of their Attitude Era counterparts.
• Damian Sandow - some said he would fail in the AE. Guess what? That era had Sandow like characters. First the Genius Lanny Poffo and then Shane Douglass's teacher character. In my opinion Sandow is more entertaining than them just because he negatively plays to the crowd more.
• Ziggler - many of the characteristics of Val Venis
• Broadus Clay - Rikishi, with a tiny splash of the Godfather (because of the women at ringside)

etc. Again give today's characters that era's writers and they would have made them edgy enough to be ok in the Attitude Era.

Believe it or not I think Del Rio would have done ok in the Attitude Era. I think those writers could have taken the concept of snobbish Mexican aristocrat and really done something edgy with it. And Del Rio would have had appeal to the Latino fanbase, something the WWE does a great job with now (in fact he gets lost when we already have Rey, Sin Cara, Los Matadores) but not really back then.

Regarding the Shield, I do not think they would have survived in the Attitude era. Not as they are currently packaged. Not because of their look or mic skills, but because their push was centered around triple team squashes of all the main faces week after week. The top level talent of the AE, Austin, Rock, HHH, Michaels, Lesnar, would not have gone for that and would have probably walked first before agreeing to get beat down by new guys on a regular basis without any wins against them. If you took the Shield apart and repackaged the members, maybe but not as "The Shield."

Brodus Clay was nothing like Rikishi. Brodus was just a bad worker for one. Secondly when Rikishi debuted he was supoosedly the baddest man in the WWF. Not to mention he was very athletic for his size. I have never seen Brodus Clay give someone a super kick the way Rikishi did. Brodus is just slow and only got his job because of his mass.

Ziggler is nothing like Val Venus. If anything Val Venus was a modernized response to Rick Rude. Ziggler is basically Billy Gunn

Also HBK wasn't wrestling in the Attitude era more than maybe 6 months considering his last match back then was at Wrestlemania 14 in 1998. Lesnar didn't even get into WWE until a year after the Attitude era was over. And besides even if he was he would have been extremely fresh too considering he wasnt even in the company 8 months before he got the WWE title. But I get what you meant but I don't exactly agree. Undertaker has never had a problem putting a guy over no matter how green they were. But I was saying have the Shield debut in late 1999 after Undertaker's ministry ended. The shield couldn't have taken credit for running Austin over. Rock has never had a problem with putting anyone over especially considering he was about Reigns's age when Rock got the title. And Vince would have had no problem introducing them as major elite forces considering in late 1999-mid 2000 Austin, Mankind, and Undertaker were gone. The only real top guys then were Big Show, HHH, and Rock. Now 1998-1999 would have been a different ball game but late 1999-mid 2000 would have been perfect for them

Also HBK wasn't wrestling in the Attitude era more than maybe 6 months considering his last match back then was at Wrestlemania 14 in 1998.

Attitude Era started in '96.

The first few steps were Austin 3:16.

Then the Shawn/Bret feud in '96-'97.

HBK was around longer than just six months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back