Who Will Be The First To Capture Championship Gold Again: CM Punk Or Randy Orton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
Ever since Orton lost the WWE championship to John Cena at Bragging Rights, he's engaged in a very entertaining feud with Kofi Kingston. Orton has been able to maintain his status as one of WWE's top heels, and have a pretty damn good mid-card feud with Kofi. As far as the WWE championship goes, John Cena held on to it for about two months before losing it to Sheamus, in the shocker at TLC. Now we all know Orton couldn't challenge for the WWE championship as long as Cena was the champion, but things have changed. Now with Sheamus as champion ( there's a chance he could lose it to Cena this Monday) Orton could challenge for the title again.

CM Punk lost the world heavyweight championship to The Undertaker back at the Hell In A Cell ppv. He had a match for the title with Taker a while back on Smackdown. WWE did a storyline where they tried to re-create what happened at Breaking Point, it was so stupid. Ever since then, Punk has been riding the mid-card, feuding with referee Scott Armstrong, and R-Truth,and has also had a couple of matches with Cena along the way. He continues to preach his Straightedge lifestyle, and Luke Gallows(formerly known as Festus) is his new apprentice.

Out of these two former world champions, who do you think will be the first to capture championship gold again? CM Punk or Randy Orton?

I think Orton will be be WWE champion again before CM Punk will be world heavyweight champion. With the Triple H and Shawn doing the DX thing, and being unified tag team champs, they're not going to be in the world title picture. I also don't think WWE is going to put Kofi or Jack Swagger in there either for a while. So, when you think about it, it really comes down to Cena, Orton, and maybe Sheamus. Big Show could be a wild card in all of this, but I highly doubt it. Orton is really the only other choice to wear the strap when you think about it. He will be involved in the WWE title hunt at Royal Rumble, Elimination Chamber, or Wrestlemania 26 because who else is a dominate heel on Raw besides him?

Over on Smackdown, there really is no room for CM Punk in the WHC picture. It's crowded with Mysterio, Batista, and Undertaker. Ever since Taker beat him for the title at HIAC, he really hasn't been actively put back in the title picture. I said earlier, it's highly likely Orton will be in a championship match at WWE's three up coming ppvs, but I don't see the same for Punk. I don't think there's a chance he'll be in a WHC match at Wrestlemania. He'll most likely be in the MITB match, again. I also think there's no chance he'll win the Rumble.

So who's your pick? Orton or Punk? Thoughts?

Well, this is a tough one.

I think Taker's gonna lose his belt by WM, most likely to Batista, which would set up a match between Mysterio for the belt; as for Taker, they seem to be goin' towards a rematch from last year, therefore Punk is kinda... outta the picture, unless they insert him for a triple threat ((which makes no sense at the moment, but you know WWE, they change their minds every second so they could make somethin' up to do so))

Now to Orton. They say he can't get anymore shots as long as Cena is champ as you said. Cena's gonna win the belt back this upcoming RAW, no doubt about it. Sheamus was just some kinda way of letting people know "Hey we can still surprise you". Once Cena gets the belt back, either Orton will win the Rumble ((Too soon to tell who's slated for the win)) or he'll say some crap about how Cena lost and it only was for "that" reign with the title Blah Blah Blah whatever.

Now, unless they decide to let Sheamus go to WM with the belt, or challenge Cena AT mania, and even though I'm a complete Punk Fan, I just have to agree with you, Orton's next.

Well, IMO it depends on who the champion is. If we're talking about right now then i think that Randy Orton is more likely to win. CM Punk winning the WHC from Undertaker is highly unlikely. Although Sheamus has gone undefeated on Raw, he's been defeated on ECW, and if Randy Orton can defeat Sheamus it would get him some more attention.

I'd definitely have to go with Orton. Punk is not even in the title picture at all. Batista and Rey are definitely likely to win the title from Taker and main event Wrestlemania. Punk isn't really even in a feud. Over on Raw I think Sheamus will lose the title back to Cena this coming Monday. it doesn't make much sense for Cena to vow to never lose a match and then just lose to Sheamus. Then what was the point of the vow. That could set the stage for a Cena/Orton feud. Hey maybe this time Orton can pull of a win at the grandest stage of them all.

I'm sure Orton will get another reign within the next year or 2. He's the WWE's go to heel when they don't have any other options. He's proven he can be a pretty good champ in the past and will give you what you expect from him, a solid, yet predictable, feud that eats up a few months.

Punk, on the other hand, seems to have sunk back into the midcard yet again. His 2 minute match with Cena on the same night Orton and Cena went at it for 15 minutes clearly shows how the two compare. For some reason, the WWE isn't ready to accept the fact that CM Punk is a main eventer and should be for a long time. Was WWE creative watching his feud with Hardy?

Anyway, I'd rather have me some Punk, but Orton is definetly the most likely candidate.

i think they should switch shows and become champs. cm punk on raw vs shamus/cena/ and if they send orton to smack down he could fight batista/mysterio/jericho and on and on i think that orton will recapture first because punk isnt going to win it back till takers done with his run. or niether taker could carry the belt for a year if he wanted too and shemus shades of a new paler goldberg.....now i only mean as how they made that impact fast.

Definitely Orton. He's one of, if not THE top heel right now. Not only that, the guys a superstar. He clearly has "it." Now, I like Punk, and I like what they're doing with him and Festus, but unfortunately his whole angle and persona now screams midcard. He shouldn't have pissed off 'Taker...anyway, definitely Orton.

Well, with the Rumble and Mania coming up they would probably go with Orton over Punk. Punk can be a main eventer, he's proved that, but he's probably not quite there in terms of main eventing a WrestleMania. Orton however is, Orton will either win the title before Mania or at Mania. Punk will probably have to wait till after Backlash sometime before he has another title shot. You know what, I actually think Punk will win MITB again at WrestleMania, I think it's possible anyways.

But yeah, I think Orton definatly has more chance of winning a major title before Punk.

I think Orton will get gold before Punk,

With the Great Pale One holding the belt,Orton's "stip" isn't in effect.
Besides I think that they might take this whole "Straight Edge" thing on for awhile..now that he has a disciple,who knows..he might even get more to his "cause" and that will take away time he could be using towards a title run.

Orton will get the gold before Punk...

Since Cena lost the title to Sheamus, Orton will find a way to win the title back..even though Cena vs. Sheamus for the title is scheduled for next week (which cena will probably win) but Orton will come up with some crap about how he was only banned from getting a shot during that one reign and blah blah blah..even though i would hate to see Cena vs. Orton for the 1000th time.

It doesn't look like Punk will be getting the title anytime soon..sadly..because his run this year was actually really good unlike his reign in 2008.. now he's back in the mid-card and looks like he'll be staying there for a while..

I believe that Orton will definitely win the WWE Championship before Punk wins the World Heavyweight Championship. The way I see it, WWE is probably planning on pushing Punk and Luke Gallows off as a tag team. Since the tag team division doesn't have as much competition as it use to have, WWE probably wants to put together more tag teams and provide more competition for the undisputed tag team titles. Who knows, maybe Punk and Gallows have a tag team title reign in their future

It seems like the only way out of this mess for the WWE would be for the 2 to switch shows. Have one of them win the Rumble and challenge the other champion. Then find a way to send the other to the opposite show. They could both use a change-both are in a rut. Orton/Undertaker would be a good headliner for Wrestlemania, and it would do Legacy good to strike out on their own. Punk/Cena could also be a good feud, and Punk really has done all he can on Smackdown. But this isn't likely, as it does seem like the WWE is setting up HBK/Undertaker rematch for Wrestlemania.

Orton without a doubt. Not just because he's the best there is right now (sorry Jericho but you're the man too) at what he does, but because right now, there's just a few really good guys on Raw to carry the brand. Orton will have the title no later than April, mark my words. Sheamus was a complete joke and I can't ever get his reign out of my mind. That being said, CM Punk probably won't see the title at all in 2010 which is a shame cause the guy's great in the ring.

Out of these two former world champions, who do you think will be the first to capture championship gold again? CM Punk or Randy Orton?

This was kind of a random topic, but still interesting. I think Orton will get another world title reign before Punk does because he has been main eventing almost nonstop since summer of 2007, and although I like Punk.... he seems to have yet to regain his main event spot. I honestly would like to see them both regain the WWE and World Championships respectively, but I think Orton will get it first because he gets title shots so often.

I really hope it's Randy Orton. You know, we all were expecting some sort of complications between Legacy by the year's end, but with there only being one Raw left in 2009, The Legacy seems pretty tight still. Randy Orton cannot fued with Kofi Kingston forever, and he also can't remain fueding with a mid-carder forever. Especially with Wrestlemania very close away. I hope that he has a high calibur match at the ppv. In my opinion, Randy Orton is a born main eventer, and should really be in the main event title scene.

C.M. Punk, on the other hand, on Smackdown, so that's different. While it's easier to succeed on Smackdown and easier to be World Heavyweight Champion, I don't think the title scene needs him too much now. The Undertaker is doing very strong as the champion, and he has great opponents in Batista and Rey Mysterio. I feel it would be better for C.M. Punk to fued with mid carders first, in order to get Luke Gallows more comfortable as his enforcer. Finally, when they get more credibility together, then they could fued with main eventers.

So, if WWE knew what was good for them, Randy Orton would regain the championship gold sooner than C.M. Punk does.

I couldnt really make up my mind but while I was reading this thread I thought of something. Punk's only title reigns were MITB and when he won at Summerslam, but we all know thats because Hardy was leaving. So if you think about it Hardy has never beaten a true main eventer in a fair contest. Not that cashing in MITB isnt fair contest but I'm just saying it was pretty easy for him. And he's never been a FULL main eventer, I've always seen him as mid card. What I'm assuming WWE is doing for the World Title picture is similar to either option. Undertaker loses the belt to Batista or Mysterio (most likely Batista) and that puts Rey in the title hunt officially while Taker can focus on HBK. Or Batista continuously fails to win the title which leads him to fued with Mysterio without the title in the mix and Taker goes up against HBK at Wrestlemani for the title. HBK isnt gonna win obviously or Taker's streak is finished and HBK would have to be traded to Smackdown! I know you guys are thinking 'What about the Unifed Tag Titles?' I'm not getting into that because thats off topic.

Now Randy Orton. Even though he still sort of in a rivalry with Kofi Kingston he is still going for that title. Which means Orton with his clever mind will think up something to get it. So I'm putting my money on Orton even though I really like Punk too.

I'm pretty sure Orton will win the title more than once before Punk even gets a title shot. With Batista hogging up the main event heel position on SD, that means that he will be getting a title shot against Undertaker/Rey Mysterio. Orton will win it eventually because on the last RAW of the year, Cena will likely win it. There is no way WWE is not going to have Cena not be in the title picture on a PPV because on RAW he is using his title shot. He will win and on that big RAW on jan. 4, Orton will challenge him. This might be a good time to push Kofi into the title hunt with Orton recapturing the gold.

Probably Orton, as he's got the pull backstage to get one of the company's biggest novelties fired for one mistake after being out of the ring for quite some time. Punk, on the other hand, is in the doghouse it seems. The politics of WWE clearly rule the title picture and Orton seems to be the man.

I'd have to go with Orton as well. Even while this Kofi/Orton feud has been going on Orton has still mentioned over and over about how he wants the title shot, and wants another chance at Cena. The WWE finally took Randy away from the title picture, but (through his promo's) have kept him there in a small fashion. CM Punk seems to have forgotten about the title picture and since it looks like Batista is our next heel to take the belt, I don't think CM Punk has any place in the title picture going into WrestleMania.

Randy Orton.

I definitely agree Orton is in better shape to be holding gold before Punk.

However, WWE has shown us recently they can surprise us and in light of all the possible WM matchups going around, I am honestly going to pick CM Punk.

Why?
With the rumored HHH/HBK match, it makes sense for the title to be at stake. One of them will win at it EC. Now I know about this time last year WWE went into "title change every month" with the WWE strap. Don't think it will happen. I honestly don't even expect Cena to re-win the belt from Sheamus yet (as far as why should Cena fail on his vow? He's bullet proof now, but if Sheamus beats him clean with a pin in a match after Cena vowed not to loose? There is no greater push possible right now in WWE, except beating Undertaker at WM). I expect HBK to win the RR, which cancels out the Taker/HBK match at WM, and then HHH wins the belt from Sheamus at EC.

With that order, the WWE Title will be locked up with Sheamus & DX until about May/June. Undertaker won't be fighting for the belt at WM. I honestly expect Punk to pick up an opportunistic victory at EC, carry the belt into WM against Batista & Mysterio. At Mania he loses the belt to Mysterio, who then loses it to Batista at Backlash..

I think CMP should take on this Sheamus guy. It would help them both out. More action from Sheamus and less mic is needed because he cannot talk for his life. He is decent in action though with development. So a CMP vs Sheamus looks great. CMP recovers due to Sheamus needing to focus on Cena who wins a non title match in dominating and brutal fashion. Let ALL the top dogs fued with one another while the newer talent, CMP still fits this group, battle for the titles. (CMP, Kingston, MVP, Bourne, Morison, Knox, Swagger, Kozlov... man I just realized they need a new draft immediately!! ) That way towards the end of the year, the bigger dogs facing the mid guys will be alot more interesting being that everything wont be so automatic and predictable. It just is beyond me why some matches haven't been made instead of others. Such as John Cena loses to Sheamus but what about Kozlov? I mean in promoting these people they put them against nobody's then straight to the top... it is so lame. The majority of the fans could write up matches and story lines better than the idiots who are way too fortunate to have the job:banghead:. I'mma go now because I'm upset lol...

Randy Orton definetly, I think when Cena wins the title from Sheamus next week, something will happen like Ortons ban will get lifted and he will have one more shot at the title or something silly like that and will beat Cena, tbh I dont see him winning the Rumble again, Punk I dont see getting back the title for a very long time, hes defintely been dropped down to mid card and hasnt had a meaningful feud with someone like Orton has, hes been stuck with Festus and he recently lost to R Truth in a dark match before TLC

I pretty much agree with the mayority here, Orton is more likely to get the gold before Punk unless....Rey Mysterio wins the title, then if that happens, it will be Punk, last week they played if like Mysterio is a serious contender for the Belt (eventhough you know any of the other two guys can beat the living crap out of him), if that is way to get him another title run this could go two ways, being eaten alive by Batista again at WM or have a nice match with none Better that the StraighEdge Messias CM Punk with Punk winning of course.

Taker porbably won´t be carrying the title for long since he does not need the belt going into WM (I would love to see it since I am Taker fan but is not something that is needed) and 2 great opponents waiting for him (HBK or Cena) so he has his plate full, so Seeing Punk VS Mysterio fro the title would be nice for a change, is not like they are strange to each other but would be a nice match.

Now after that freaking dream getting back to planet earth probably we will see Cena VS Orton VS Sheamus (just to add boredom) and Orton getting over, crap they couldn't resist face them again for the Superstar of the Year slammy. "It is only fitting since they had the best rivalry of the year" Cole said, which was absolutely crap, maybe the longest, but the Best one was Hardy VS Punk and that one had a definitive ending.

But yes, probsably Cena and Orton will face each other 3 or 4 times next year, title or not and Orton will get the Gold from anyone that is the champion.

It's going to be Orton. Undertaker absolutely buried Punk. That Punk/Hardy feud really made him a main eventer, then Taker came back and killed all of his momentum. Now he is wrestling against Matt Hardy and R-Truth. From world champion to wrestling R Truth. After Orton is done with his feud with Kofi, he will probably go after the title again.

It's a tough one. On the one hand, it appears that Orton is the only one with any momentum. However, Cena is chasing the title, and will be for quite some time and then he will probably hold it for a while.

Punk looks to be going nowhere, but literally every main event guy on Smackdown is renown for shit title reigns. I think we are more likely to see title changes on that brand, but whether Punk will be involved remains to be seen. I'd never bet my house on either, but I think Punk is slightly more likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back