Who Should Never Go In To The WWE HOF?

This will probably be a tad controversial.

However, I'm going to go ahead and say Chris Benoit. He's a terrific wrestler, don't get me wrong, but a Hall of Fame is an act of praise on a wrestler. You can't have someone go up and praise him because we all know if this ever happened, it would just get massive backlash from the press that WWE doesn't need, not to mention the huge elephant in the room once that happens.

As much as we hate to say it, it seems like forever the Benoit murders will forever outshine all the great matches he's had.

1st of all can I start by pointing out that Greg Valentine is already a hall of famer.

I have to say I agree with the people who say Snooki. I thought Snooki was just a creature in an episode of South Park and was most surprised to discover she was a real person. Her Mania appearance to me made no sense as being English I had no idea who she was.

I don't get why so many people are saying Goldberg. Was he the greatest? No. But his streak angle was phenomenal . I've long since said his match with Hogan for the title in Atlanta was the single greatest moment in the history of Nitro (Not WCW, but Nitro). As a fan, I was ecstatic when I heard about it and that was one of the few times I had to watch Nitro live and not catch the replay after Raw. It really is a shame the streak had to end like it did with Scott Hall/Kevin Nash "shock". Say what you want but any man that won the US Title/WCW title/WCW tag title/WWE World Heavyweight Title deserves to be in there.

As for my pick for the post, I would have to say Brian Pillman. The only time he was relevant was earlier years as a tag team wrestler with a few guys, most notable Steve Austin. Other then that I never found him entertaining (it was always Austin that entertained me in that team) and he never amounted to much in wrestling.

Abdullah the Butcher.. Oh wait... I don't see any problem with the celebrity wing in all honesty, if WWE needs to induct a celeb every year to get some mainstreampresscoverage then that's what they've got to do. So far at least they've picked celebs who did something of note (involved in a match or more than one appearance etc) or they're rewarding a celeb who got their act together (do you really think Drew Carey of 10 years ago would've been inducted?)

I didn't check the other posts, but I'm hoping I'm not the first person to drop this turd of a name.

Paul Roma. The first guy to ever make me hate being a wrestling fan. He was shit in the ring and some of us remember his match with Alex Wright.

To me i dont think Sting should be in the HOF, it seems a lot of people would find that a good idea but i digress.
What has Sting done for the WWE to deserve a spot? Nada. Thus it would be illogical to have him be inducted.
Celebrity wise i feel all of them shouldn't be in the HOF, i find the Celebrity wing ridiculous to be honest. The HOF should be reserved for the guys&gals who broke their backs for the company, not for people who usually go on WWE programming to promote themselves.

I know its a counterargument to the thread, but Abdullah The Butcher should never have gone in. His matches were sloppy and disgusting, part of the reason why Vince McMahon's business is looked down upon. It also sends the completely incorrect message to the PG-generation that Vince is trying to capture.

I know Abdullah sold lots of tickets in his career, but to me, he provided little value to the wrestling industry as a whole and he's more of a stain on the history of professional wrestling rather than a HOFer.

The day Abdullah got inducted is the day I stopped caring about the HOF.

I was wondering when people would end up bringing Benoit into this discussion....

Normally I would not go to bat for someone who had committed murder, HOWEVER seeing as it was proven that he had sustained brain damage from wrestling which I can promise you had a lot to do with his actions at the end, If there was anyone EVER who deserved to be in ANY hall of fame it would be him. He gave up his life for a business that used him up and now has left him totally out to dry.

Before he "snapped" people were not taking concussions serious enough, people were not taking brain damage seriously (most people still don't) and I'll admit I'm bias I have brain damage and have lived with it for the past 6 years...

And honestly while yeah what he did was BEYOND horrible to someones mind that was bent and twisted the way it SEEMS his was (can't turn back the clock to know any kind of frame of mind he might have had) I'll never be able to put the full blame on him for what he did.

and honestly I view the hall of fame as a thank you for your time and contributions so if you can at least match contributions with someone already in the hall of fame I see no reason that one day EVENTUALLY you should not be honored (no jobbers please)

There is no way in Hell Benoit will ever be in the HoF. I'll quit watching wrestling if they celebrate a murderer like that. I used to be a MASSIVE Benoit fan, from the time i was like 6 or 7, but after that happend, i cant even look at a picture of him without my stomach turning. Plus, WWE could never put im in the HoF..that would be way too much bad publicity for them.

There is no way in Hell Benoit will ever be in the HoF. I'll quit watching wrestling if they celebrate a murderer like that. I used to be a MASSIVE Benoit fan, from the time i was like 6 or 7, but after that happend, i cant even look at a picture of him without my stomach turning. Plus, WWE could never put im in the HoF..that would be way too much bad publicity for them.

Who's to say Beniot will never get in? Never is a long time. Hell I'll can;t put the full blame on the man for what happened. He wasn't himself and like I said before, you have to learn to separate the man and the wrestler and honor the wrestler for what he did for the business. He gave everything he had and in the end that's what killed him and his family.

Also Hornswoggle shouldn't go in.

Erm... Right, where to begin... so... HeenanGorrilla think back to the mid 80's (if you were around as your name surely implies...) A young kid called Shawn Michaels gets put with a guy a year or two further into his career in a tag team... they road together, gel and quickly rise up the rankings... become the Midnight Rockers and win the AWA belts... then they come to WWF.

IF you were around then you will not be able to argue with the notion that Jannetty and Shawn were equal in those days in terms of ability, if not with Janetty being slightly more the "captain" of the team. To think had that chemistry and pairing not taken place that Shawn would still be where he is, well it's just lunacy... If Hacksaw hadn't driven with Sheiky-Baby, if Sting hadn't have teamed with The Warrior in the old days...

Janetty was the guy who brought Shawn along in the early days, taught him the tricks, had a bit more experience and ultimately set him on the path to greatness by selling their break up so well. The Barber's Shop is, other than Hogan, the most remembered heel turn ever... People talk about being the "Jannetty" of the team as being a negative... If you mean because it's a guy who should have controlled his demons better then sure, I take that... but the same accusation can be levelled at Shawn.

If you mean it as a complete failure then wrong, he was an IC champion in the days when it meant something... he again put Shawn (and Nash) over when he lost it and still got another, albeit brief tag run...

So to recap, he helped blood Shawn Michaels into the business, was half of his early success, put both him and Kevin Nash on the road to stardom and won more titles than than Jim Duggan, Koko B. Ware, Junkyard Dog, Abdullah The Butcher and Jesse Ventura achieved...

Will The Rockers ever go into the HOF, I think so, if Flair can be a double inductee then yeah, Janetty can be in the hall of fame... HeenanGorilla, please do feel free to tune out of my posts... I will miss you... honest...

As for Nick Bockwinkel, yes I did see a lot of his work back then and I also do remember that he was one of the worst guys for holding back talent in the AWA. Excellent worker without question, but had he played ball with a few other guys, the landscape could have been much different for the AWA.

Vince may want to see this as a Wrestling Hall Of Fame, but it won't be until he opens it up to fan votes... as long as he controls it, it's only ever going to reflect his choices.

Chris Benoit - although he is a talented wrestler i don't think the wwe would let him into the HOF for what he did
Most celebrities involved with the wwe except for tyson, T and a few others also why Drew Carey is in the HOF all i remember him doing was competing in the RR

Erm... Right, where to begin... so... HeenanGorrilla think back to the mid 80's (if you were around as your name surely implies...) A young kid called Shawn Michaels gets put with a guy a year or two further into his career in a tag team... they road together, gel and quickly rise up the rankings... become the Midnight Rockers and win the AWA belts... then they come to WWF.

IF you were around then you will not be able to argue with the notion that Jannetty and Shawn were equal in those days in terms of ability, if not with Janetty being slightly more the "captain" of the team. To think had that chemistry and pairing not taken place that Shawn would still be where he is, well it's just lunacy

I was with you until you hit lunacy. I get what you're trying to say about Michaels early experiences playing a part in who he turned into, but to think that a guy who was obviously as talented and driven as Shawn Michaels only became who he became because of his experience working in a specific tag team early in his career is the real lunacy. Sure, the chain of events for Michaels life would have unfolded differently, but he still would have found a way regardless. Bottom line, you can't keep down talent, and Michaels had the complete package.

Janetty was the guy who brought Shawn along in the early days, taught him the tricks, had a bit more experience and ultimately set him on the path to greatness by selling their break up so well. The Barber's Shop is, other than Hogan, the most remembered heel turn ever... People talk about being the "Jannetty" of the team as being a negative... If you mean because it's a guy who should have controlled his demons better then sure, I take that... but the same accusation can be levelled at Shawn.

Ironically, when they were the Rockers, I too felt that Jannetty was the better talent. The thing is though, Michaels had a far better head for the game than Jannetty ever did, and history has proven that. Also think about this. Who holds the record for the most times being fired by Vince? Marty Jannetty (I think it's a ridiculous 13 or so times he's been fired). When was the last time Shawn Michaels was fired by Vince? Back when he was tagging with Jannetty. That right there should tell you that for all his demons (and Michaels had a ton), he was nothing compared to the human train wreck that is Marty Jannetty. Think about when they broke up. Michaels was the one who got the push, and was repackaged. Jannetty did the obligatory initial feud, and never changed out of his Rockers gear. Shortly after, he began his string of firings. Great talent. Innovative as hell in the ring (top rope powerbomb for the win). Didn't seem to understand a thing about the business except for from bell to bell. The one that the company could never get behind as a result.

If you mean it as a complete failure then wrong, he was an IC champion in the days when it meant something... he again put Shawn (and Nash) over when he lost it and still got another, albeit brief tag run...

Yeah look at where the guy is at in life today. He obviously wasn't a complete failure... and lets forget about championships in a worked sport. Jannetty had the type of talent where even if he couldn't have gotten out of Shawn's shadow in the WWF, he could have been big anywhere else in the world. He didn't because literally everything else he did in the business after the Rockers broke up was done in a way that reminded people he used to be Shawn Michaels tag team partner (ring gear, New Rockers, angles always surrounded Shawn in some fashion). The guy is a punchline in wrestling these days (being the Jannetty). That, my friend, is failure.

So to recap, he helped blood Shawn Michaels into the business, was half of his early success, put both him and Kevin Nash on the road to stardom and won more titles than than Jim Duggan, Koko B. Ware, Junkyard Dog, Abdullah The Butcher and Jesse Ventura achieved...

I'm assuming your talking about titles in the WWF, and are under the impression that titles in a worked sport are the be all and end all of everything. Otherwise the only person on your list that I would put below Jannetty in terms of career accomplishments is Koko.

Will The Rockers ever go into the HOF, I think so, if Flair can be a double inductee then yeah, Janetty can be in the hall of fame... HeenanGorilla, please do feel free to tune out of my posts... I will miss you... honest...

If the Rockers ever do go into the HOF, it'll be because Vince wants to honour Michaels like he's honouring Flair this year, and Jannetty will be going along for the ride. As an individual, not a chance. If he was in Shawn's good books maybe, but with some of the things Marty's been saying about Shawn recently, that's not likely to happen.

As for Nick Bockwinkel, yes I did see a lot of his work back then and I also do remember that he was one of the worst guys for holding back talent in the AWA. Excellent worker without question, but had he played ball with a few other guys, the landscape could have been much different for the AWA.

Not sure if serious.

Bockwinkel was not a guy to 'hold back talent'. VERNE GAGNE, on the other hand, had a very specific ideology when it came to his booking, and was such a fan of the challenger coming close, but never quite getting over the champion style of booking, that he never seemed to understand that eventually there needed to be a payoff. He did this with Hogan/Bockwinkel too long, and lost the biggest draw of the 80's as a result. He even did this too long with the Midnight Rockers and a far past his prime Buddy Rose and a never over Doug Somers, when his territory could have been popped by a young, fresh tag team champion.

Bockwinkel was loyal to Verne because Gagne treated him very well, and he was able to lead a better quality of life working in the AWA than he would have in the NWA (where he would have been champion, but never been home due to the travel schedule the NWA champions of the day had). Today Nick Bockwinkel is looked at fondly as the consumate professional by his peers, which would not be the case if he was the type of guy to hold anyone back.

Vince may want to see this as a Wrestling Hall Of Fame, but it won't be until he opens it up to fan votes... as long as he controls it, it's only ever going to reflect his choices.

Like the MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL Halls of Fame that are subject to fan votes???

Of course the WWE HOF reflects Vince's choices. IT'S HIS HALL! So if he wants to see it as a Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame, then guess what? It is, whether you think so or not.

since the title of this thread is who SHOULDNT go into the hall of fame and not who WONT im gonna say that chris benoit does not belong on this list. as someone who who suffers from brain damage and PTSD i can say from my own personal expiriences there are many moments where i will just blackout and when i come to i realize if done things im not proud of. in no way shape or form am i condoning what this man did to his wife and kid but i believe his body of work should be recognized. he was a man that gave his all and put his body on the line every night for a business that chewed him up and spit him out several times. thats my 2 cents atleast

For a celebrity id have to say Kevin Federline, although i dont know if you can really consider him a celeb anymore.

As for Superstars id have to say:

Mark Henry- I understand he has had an extremely long tenure here but he never entertained me in the slightest until this past fall. 6 months doesnt make up for 16 years

The Great Khali- no need to explain

Goldust- I think hes funny an entertaining but just doesnt belong in a hall of fame of anything

JBL- I HATED him, but because he was such a good heel. I have to give him credit he created a great heel persona, but in the ring he would put me to sleep very, very quickly

You've got to realize Koko B Ware was inducted into the HOF. I sware I was inducted twice while I was drunk.

But seriously 20 years from now I wouldn't be surprised to see Khali in HOF not saying he deserves it but he was a former World Champ. Henry, JBL, Goldust definitely deserve it one day not now or soon but one day.

The only one guy in particular is Benoit. One hell of a performer and a guy, it's just a shame what happened. Imagine if he was still alive, he'd put over happily The Rhodes, Ziggler's and many of the guys of today. Too bad though, he may have had mental illnesses and what not but if the WWE even brings his name up on TV it will seriously attract massive heat from the media.

since the title of this thread is who SHOULDNT go into the hall of fame and not who WONT im gonna say that chris benoit does not belong on this list. as someone who who suffers from brain damage and PTSD i can say from my own personal expiriences there are many moments where i will just blackout and when i come to i realize if done things im not proud of. in no way shape or form am i condoning what this man did to his wife and kid but i believe his body of work should be recognized. he was a man that gave his all and put his body on the line every night for a business that chewed him up and spit him out several times. thats my 2 cents atleast

I appreciate what you had to say, I'm a Benoit fan. Amazing wrestler no doubt but inducting him into HOF or even mentioning his name on TV would be bad.

While I understand the WWE HOF has lost the respect of many fans, it still deserves a certain amount of respect nevertheless. Inducting Benoit into HOF would basically be condoning his unacceptable actions to his family. It is known he has problems and I'm sorry you do too but Benoit can't be inducted into HOF nor will he ever will be.

I appreciate what you had to say, I'm a Benoit fan. Amazing wrestler no doubt but inducting him into HOF or even mentioning his name on TV would be bad.

While I understand the WWE HOF has lost the respect of many fans, it still deserves a certain amount of respect nevertheless. Inducting Benoit into HOF would basically be condoning his unacceptable actions to his family. It is known he has problems and I'm sorry you do too but Benoit can't be inducted into HOF nor will he ever will be.

i understand your side. i guess im just a mark for benoit who will stick up for him and that situatio. what happened was the perfect storm of what happens when you mix the deadly combonation of concussions,brain damage and steroid abuse. not to mention the severe depression he suffered after the death of eddie. it really was a travesty all they way around. there was no winner at all in this situation but there was a huge loser in us the fans

i understand your side. i guess im just a mark for benoit who will stick up for him and that situatio. what happened was the perfect storm of what happens when you mix the deadly combonation of concussions,brain damage and steroid abuse. not to mention the severe depression he suffered after the death of eddie. it really was a travesty all they way around. there was no winner at all in this situation but there was a huge loser in us the fans

I can't condone that statement. You claim to have history of PTSD and brain damage. I'm going to assume that it comes from something you've done in the work force and what not. Benoit's, on the other hand, stemmed from the countless diving headbutts he would do as well as other brain damaging maneuvers. Maneuvers that HE put into his moves set. I'm pretty sure that if Benoit had went to Vince and was like, "Look, I want to stray away from the headbutt as much as possible. I'm having a lot of trouble dealing with the pain and could really use the break." Vince would understand.

People put Vince off as this evil person, when really he's just a business man. And with Benoit being a former investment, he would've protected it and said "Okay, so how do you propose we stop it?" It's been documented by a lot of veterans that Vince is able to be talked to if you do it in a way that he respects you. Hogan, Triple H, HBK, Austin, Bret, and even Rock have all been able to get things working for them, and if he had said something, Benoit could've at least had the headbutt taken out of his moves set.

---

As for who I think should never be inducted into the hall of fame, I'm going to say Ultimate Warrior. As much of a fan that I am from his work in early WWF, if the rumors of him holding Vince at gunpoint are true, then that's completely uncharacteristic of Warrior and I wouldn't fault Vince at all.

i wish people would do their homework before posting! Greg valentine is already in the hall of fame.
He was inducted in 2004 its quite easy to check on wwe's website or wiki to see whos in so surely its best to look it up first?
Gotta agree with benoit though he was a great talent but ruined it by his actions at the end and unfortunately i dont think people can separate the in ring performer from the man outside.
Cant see jarrett ever getting in either!

I can't condone that statement. You claim to have history of PTSD and brain damage. I'm going to assume that it comes from something you've done in the work force and what not. Benoit's, on the other hand, stemmed from the countless diving headbutts he would do as well as other brain damaging maneuvers. Maneuvers that HE put into his moves set. I'm pretty sure that if Benoit had went to Vince and was like, "Look, I want to stray away from the headbutt as much as possible. I'm having a lot of trouble dealing with the pain and could really use the break." Vince would understand.

People put Vince off as this evil person, when really he's just a business man. And with Benoit being a former investment, he would've protected it and said "Okay, so how do you propose we stop it?" It's been documented by a lot of veterans that Vince is able to be talked to if you do it in a way that he respects you. Hogan, Triple H, HBK, Austin, Bret, and even Rock have all been able to get things working for them, and if he had said something, Benoit could've at least had the headbutt taken out of his moves set.

---

As for who I think should never be inducted into the hall of fame, I'm going to say Ultimate Warrior. As much of a fan that I am from his work in early WWF, if the rumors of him holding Vince at gunpoint are true, then that's completely uncharacteristic of Warrior and I wouldn't fault Vince at all.

to put him in the same category as hogan, triple h, hbk, austin, bret and the rock is laughable. its been well documented that chris benoit was constantly passed over due to his size so why on earth would he go up to his boss and ask if he could take a break from basically being himself. that was his style of wrestling. he always had a chip on his shoulder and felt like he had to outwork and out do everyone on the roster to get himself just a bit of credit. there are thousands of people in this country who can relate to that. his fans most of all realized that. his body of work should be realized and i believe it will one day (just not anytime in the next 10 years) it is a travesty what happened. you say alot of people claim that vince mcmahon is this evil man and i am not one of those people that would make that claim. he is a business man and a very good one and im sure benoit could have gone up to him and asked to take a break from the head butts but i can gurauntee you it would not have been without costing chris his spot that he had worked so hard for

To me i dont think Sting should be in the HOF, it seems a lot of people would find that a good idea but i digress.
What has Sting done for the WWE to deserve a spot? Nada. Thus it would be illogical to have him be inducted.
Sting impacted the wrestling industry - all around. You know it, I know it, and Vince knows it. Sting is, without a doubt, the single biggest wrestler to never step foot in the WWE. I mean, if the WWE truly never wanted to recognize his accomplishments, they would've never put him on the 3,741,951 WCW DVD's that are selling so great right now. It doesn't matter whether or not he's wrestled for the WWE. He made an impact on the wrestling industry. I mean hell; wrestlers like Antonio Inoki were inducted based on their credentials outside of the WWE. The WWE didn't even mention Antonio's only reign as WWWF Champion. The Four Horsemen being another example. The WWE focused on their accomplishments outside of the WWE. Ric Flair can definitely fall into that category as well. Same with Stu Hart, Verne Gagne, Dusty Rhodes, Dory and Terry Funk, Nick Bockwinkel, the Von Erich family, Mil Máscaras and countless others. Sting can get in; it’s only a matter of time. All he needs to do quit TNA and retire for a couple years. Then WWE would show up on his door step.

im sorry but the celebrity wing is so stupid, unless you are or were active in the ring (except ring announcers & commintatiors) you should not even be there. Mike Tyson had a skit, Floyd Mayweather, Akey Bono, Bob Barker, Pee Wee Herman ... the list goes on and on ...

But as far as the Bushwackers, they should be, they were one of the best tag-teams back in the day, more that should of been inducted by now, is the Natural Disasters, Bossman, Randy Savage & Elizabeth, Jim Cornette, Paul Heyman

im sorry but the celebrity wing is so stupid, unless you are or were active in the ring (except ring announcers & commintatiors) you should not even be there. Mike Tyson had a skit, Floyd Mayweather, Akey Bono, Bob Barker, Pee Wee Herman ... the list goes on and on ...
Totally agree with you… on most of this. The celebrity wing isn't anything to actually care about. Celebrities like Drew Carry shouldn't be involved in the WWE Hall of Fame especially when no one remembers anything they did during their time within the WWE. However a strong case could be made for celebrities like William Shatner, Mike Tyson or Mr. T. Each one of these guys has a significant role during their time in the WWE. These moments are played over and over on DVD's, live shows and other WWE programs. Their respective moments within the WWE are memorable and weren't a total waste of everyone's time. I have no problem with a celebrity being inducted but there is definitely a line that should be drawn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back