Dr. James Andrews To Be Inducted Into WWE HOF?

The Brain

King Of The Ring
There is a rumor that Dr. James Andrews, the renowned orthopedic surgeon who has performed countless surgeries on many wrestlers and other star athletes, will be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame. He is probably someone that nobody here has ever considered for induction. I’m sure we’ll get the usual complaints about non wrestling personalities getting into the HOF but I think this induction may be warranted. Why not? I’m sure he has a lot of interesting stories to tell considering how many top stars he’s helped come back from career threatening injuries. He’s performed surgeries on John Cena, Rey Mysterio, Batista, Edge, Randy Orton, Shawn Michaels, CM Punk, and Triple H among others. I’m sure every one of those HOF or future HOF names would be happy to have Andrews inducted along side them. I see Triple H being the one to induct him as he has come back from two separate quad tears, in which either one could have easily ended his career, thanks to Dr. Andrews. Either him or John Cena who will have come back from his surgery shortly before mania. What do you guys think? Is Dr. Andrews deserving of a spot in the WWE Hall of Fame?

I wouldn't have a problem with it. A few years ago I had to do some physical therapy and one day I went in to do it and the physical therapist was telling me about how over the weekend he had gone to a seminar that Dr. Andrews hosted and was teaching the therapists there some techniques they could use with patients. The therapist was talking about how respected Dr. Andrews is and was talking about how he is well known for working with professional wrestlers. He works with other athletes too but he's kind of known as "the" guy to work with professional wrestlers so why not? He's more respected and has had a bigger impact in the business than a guy like Drew Carey.

I read about this a few weeks back and I probably would have been against this a few years back. After all, what's the guy done for pro wrestling? That would have been the question I'd have asked and, unfortunately, I didn't take into account that there are a lot of "unsung heroes" behind the scenes whose contributions aren't immediately obvious. Andrews is someone who definitely has to be considered among them when you consider now only how many different wrestlers from various organizations he's operated on over the years.

I might be wrong but, off the top of my head, the first time I heard Andrews mentioned was when Lex Luger had his elbow reconstructed. When Luger turned face in the WWF and they went with this "Made in the USA" gimmick, I'm almost certain I remember James Andrews as part of a vignette in which he speaks on Luger's injury and what it took to put his elbow back together again. He's extremely well known and is considered one of the top orthopedic surgeons out there. Aside from having a lot of wrestlers as patients, he's the team doctor for the Alabama Crimson Tide, the Auburn Tigers and the Washington Redskins with patients including Jack Nicklaus, Bret Farve, Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Troy Aikman, Charles Barkley, etc.

As I alluded to, Andrews is someone whose contributions behind the scenes often go overlooked or just simply forgotten about. So it'd be cool to see him gain some recognition outside of the medical field.

Personally, I think that's stupid. I respect everything he does for all the superstars. I respect what he does for every single athlete that visits him. But he's faceless to the general WWE crowd. He has never sold one ticket to one event for that company. Sure you could argue without his work, the athletes that do sell the tickets wouldn't have the physical capability to perform. But so would the people who construct the ring every single night. You have to draw the line somewhere.

Sure the WWE HoF is more of a kayfabe HoF in a sense, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Then he'd have to be in the NBA Hall, MLB Hall, NFL Hall, etc... They're already stretching it with the "Celebrity Wing" thing. This would stretch it even more. You could argue he is the "celebrity" for the year, but again to the general WWE crowd, they wouldn't give a shit. But that's where you draw the line.

This man has done remarkable things for the WWE. I'm sure he is well deserving of many awards that the company could give him for his contribution. Without him I am sure many wrestlers would have seen early retirement.

But with that being said, putting this man in the WWE Hall of Fame in my opinion is a terrible idea. The Hall of Fame is like every other WWE Event; tickets are sold and big names are expected- even a celebrity that "showed up that one time" can draw a fan in. To be honest, I have never heard of Dr. James Andrews, and if I haven't, a huge majority haven't either. He is a guy that worked his ass off behind the scenes. Many, many guys have worked their asses off behind the scenes. If WWE inducted him, they should induct any other medical professional, key grip, camera man, pyro technician, etc that have contributed to the show in a big way. And keep in mind the Hall of Fame is a moneymaker, and your average fan doesn't give a shit who has been working in the back, or behind the camera the whole time they were watching.

Does he deserve it? Yes. But should WWE? No. Not unless they create a new wing for the people in the back, I can't agree with this.

Personally, I think that's stupid. I respect everything he does for all the superstars. I respect what he does for every single athlete that visits him. But he's faceless to the general WWE crowd. He has never sold one ticket to one event for that company. Sure you could argue without his work, the athletes that do sell the tickets wouldn't have the physical capability to perform. But so would the people who construct the ring every single night. You have to draw the line somewhere.

Sure the WWE HoF is more of a kayfabe HoF in a sense, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Then he'd have to be in the NBA Hall, MLB Hall, NFL Hall, etc... They're already stretching it with the "Celebrity Wing" thing. This would stretch it even more. You could argue he is the "celebrity" for the year, but again to the general WWE crowd, they wouldn't give a shit. But that's where you draw the line.
That doesn't matter at all. The Hall of Fame is to honor contributions made to the business in various means from media exposure to territory promotional work to main roster work and everything in between. He's largely an unsung hero who has patched up many a star over his years and allowed them to successfully come back from injury to entertain us once again.

And for that, I'm fine with him being in. I also see the reasoning behind him not being in like Samcro above pointed out. Either way is fine really.

Sorry, the fact he because of him tickets HAVE been sold. People pay to see these people return and wrestle - yes, it is unfortunate they get injured, but if all WWEs top stars were forced to retire early then WWE would have been a pretty crappy place over the years. The top wrestlers sell merchandise and put bums in seats. It is because of his work that they can continue to do so.

If I were injured and couldn't work and a Doctor allowed me to return to work through his therapy/surgery, I'd want to honour him in some way.

Further, there are people in the WWE HOF who have never sold a damn ticket for WWE. Drew Carrey - who ordered the rumble for him? Other wrestlers who have never set foot in WWE before. They still get in. So why should selling tickets be a factor anyway?

Sorry, the fact he because of him tickets HAVE been sold.

Him, and hundreds of other guys like him. He contributed, yes, but that doesn't mean he should be inducted. If he was inducted that is practically a spit in the face of many other people who did marvels for WWE before him that weren't.

Should creative writers be inducted? Should editors? Should the people in charge of WWE advertising?

Keep in mind he is only doing his job. The Hall of Fame is meant for popular appeal.

People pay to see these people return and wrestle - yes, it is unfortunate they get injured, but if all WWEs top stars were forced to retire early then WWE would have been a pretty crappy place over the years. The top wrestlers sell merchandise and put bums in seats. It is because of his work that they can continue to do so.

If he was the only medical advisor WWE had, I may agree. But he isn't. He's probably the most well known in his field, but that doesn't make him a star in the slightest.

If I were injured and couldn't work and a Doctor allowed me to return to work through his therapy/surgery, I'd want to honour him in some way.

Agreed. Honor him with something that isn't a damn ticket seller.

Further, there are people in the WWE HOF who have never sold a damn ticket for WWE. Drew Carrey - who ordered the rumble for him? Other wrestlers who have never set foot in WWE before. They still get in. So why should selling tickets be a factor anyway?

Because celebrities have had a huge, significant role in the construction of the WWE. I'm sick of the people on here who do nothing but bitch and complain when a celebrity gets inducted in the Celebrity Wing. WWE has always been about Pop Culture. You're a moron if you think otherwise. Mike Tyson, Drew Carrey, Cyndi Lauper...they all belong because they were icons of their time. Having them around makes people that more interested in wrestling.

If a guy like Arnold Schwarzenegger makes an appearance in WWE, people think "Oh shit, Arnold thinks WWE is cool. Probably is. I should check it out more." It's a publicity stunt. Therefore it helps the company to have celebrities like Drew.

In closing, I just want to readdress the fact that the WWE Hall of Fame is something people pay to see, therefore the inductees themselves should be people you or me would pay to see. This is no slam against the guy; I have a ton of respect for him because of this thread. But let's not forget the most important part of running an event: money.

I have no problem with Andrews being inducted into the Hall of Fame, but I think if we're going to induct a non-wrestling non-celebrity, JIM JOHNSTON should be first in line.

You guys are grossly underestimating how famous Andrews is. He isn't just the go-to guy for wrestling injuries, he also performs surgeries on the big stars in the NFL, MLB, and NBA. He's the guy who reconstructed RGIII's knee.

I think it's a great choice. It's not like he would be the headliner or whatever, he'd probably just be in the Celebrity Wing.

Andrews has helped many athletes extend their careers after some crushing injuries, many of which are major players within the WWE. He plays a part in helping bring our favorite superstars back and healthy after those injuries.

I don't see why he shouldn't be in the HOF.

Drew Carey was an icon? I won't disagree someone like Tyson but seriously Drew Carey?

The man had his own television show that ran for 9 years, hosted the most popular improvisational comedy, "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" for 8, was one of the few celebrities to ever be "Roasted", and took over the legendary Bob Barker's job on The Price is Right. He's no Brad Pitt, but in the late 90s he was a pretty well known celebrity, even in 2001.

I would love to see stats on the number of people who became fans of the WWE because of Drew Carey being in the Royal Rumble.

Jesus. Are people really that cynical when celebrities make an appearance in the WWE? Did we not see Bob Barker karate chop Chavo Guerrero? Didn't Donald Trump shave Mr. McMahon's head at Wrestlemania? Can't we let Drew Carrey have a minutes-worth of an appearance on a pay per view without wondering what makes him Hall of Fame worthy?

Celebrities are a social factor. Having them involved in the WWE makes the show that more entertaining. Drew Carrey's involvement at that year's Royal Rumble was a fresh approach for a Rumble Entry. It was a lot better than watching a guitar playing wrestler get hit with his own guitar for the millionth time- which also happened at that Royal Rumble.

Personalities go into the Hall Of Fame. Michael Hegstrand and Joe Laurinaitis weren't inducted; Road Warrior Hawk and Animal, The Legion of Doom, were. The doctor is neither a celebrity or a wrestling personality.

The doctor is neither a celebrity or a wrestling personality.

He is a celebrity.

ce·leb·ri·ty (s-lbr-t)
n. pl. ce·leb·ri·ties
1. A famous person.
2. Renown; fame.
[Middle English celebrite, fame, from Old French, from Latin celebrits, from celeber, celebr-, famous.]
ce·lebri·ty·hood n.
Synonyms: celebrity, hero, luminary, name, notable, personage
These nouns refer to a widely known person: a social celebrity; the heroes of science; a theatrical luminary; a big name in sports; a notable of the concert stage; a personage in the field of philosophy.

He is a widely known person. Pretty much every time a famous athlete is injured, his name comes up. Here's a list of his patients.

Andrews' patients also include Michael Jordan, Jack Nicklaus, Emmitt Smith, John Smoltz, Troy Aikman, Charles Barkley, Roger Clemens, Drew Brees, Reggie Bush, Andrei Markov, Bo Jackson, Adrian Peterson, Marcus Lattimore, Robert Griffin III, Brett Favre, Ryan Broyles, Rajon Rondo, Michael Morse, Jonny Venters, Nerlens Noel, Rickie Weeks, and Brian Cushing, among others

He transcends the wrestling world, he's probably more famous than any wrestler currently in the Hall of Fame right now.

While I wouldn't really have a problem with it, it's not warranted IMO. I think this quote best sums up my point of view...
Sure you could argue without his work, the athletes that do sell the tickets wouldn't have the physical capability to perform. But so would the people who construct the ring every single night. You have to draw the line somewhere.
If WWE were to induct Dr. Andrews, then why not just induct every single employee & volunteer ever that has made every WWWF, WWF & WWE event possible throughout time??? Heck even some performers that never worked for Vince Sr. or Vince Jr. are in the HOF, so why not just induct everyone that's ever been within 500 ft. of a wrestling throughout the history of time??? Because WWE has to draw the line somewhere.

People can argue the WWE HOF has lost some prestige or say guys like Drew Carey or Koko B. Ware should have never been inducted but I can pull out a DVD from my collection & watch Drew Carey or Koko B. Ware in a WWE ring, I can't say the same for Dr. Andrews.

Not to mention the guy is no doubt loaded & has been featured in numerous WWE dot com articles, video packages of superstars rehabing, etc. I'm sure his business is doing just fine & he gets enough promotion as it is. I don't think he would even care much or realize what it means to some people.

The man had his own television show that ran for 9 years, hosted the most popular improvisational comedy, "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" for 8, was one of the few celebrities to ever be "Roasted", and took over the legendary Bob Barker's job on The Price is Right. He's no Brad Pitt, but in the late 90s he was a pretty well known celebrity, even in 2001.

Jesus. Are people really that cynical when celebrities make an appearance in the WWE? Did we not see Bob Barker karate chop Chavo Guerrero? Didn't Donald Trump shave Mr. McMahon's head at Wrestlemania? Can't we let Drew Carrey have a minutes-worth of an appearance on a pay per view without wondering what makes him Hall of Fame worthy?

Celebrities are a social factor. Having them involved in the WWE makes the show that more entertaining. Drew Carrey's involvement at that year's Royal Rumble was a fresh approach for a Rumble Entry. It was a lot better than watching a guitar playing wrestler get hit with his own guitar for the millionth time- which also happened at that Royal Rumble.

Personalities go into the Hall Of Fame. Michael Hegstrand and Joe Laurinaitis weren't inducted; Road Warrior Hawk and Animal, The Legion of Doom, were. The doctor is neither a celebrity or a wrestling personality.

By your logic CM Punk should be inducted into the MLB Hall Of Fame because he sang the 7th inning stretch at a Cubs game. People might have tuned into the game because Punk was going to be on and might become baseball fans as a result which would make money for the MLB.

I'm not saying yes without a doubt Dr. Andrews should be inducted. I'm saying based on what I deem a silly induction of someone who really did nothing for the company I wouldn't be opposed to inducting him.

He's been talked about and I believe even has talked on camera several times over the years when wrestlers have had to have surgeries. As other people have said he has been talked about in the sports world for the surgeries that he has performed on other athletes.

If you read my very first post in this thread when the physical therapist I saw was talking about him he said that I would probably know him from his work with professional wrestlers. He has an association with wrestling.

It's not like they would base the whole Hall of Fame ceremony around him.

He is a celebrity.

By this definition, the kid that made the game-winning touchdown in his hometown is a celebrity. The term by itself is too broad to use, especially if said person was a doctor.

"A celebrity is a person, who has a prominent profile and commands some degree of public fascination and influence in day-to-day news media." ~ if we were to go by Wikipedia's definition, which contrasts a little with the one you gave me.

But for argument sake, when I say "celebrity", I'm talking about someone whose fame is recorded in Pop Culture history- as WWE actually uses the term.

He is a widely known person. Pretty much every time a famous athlete is injured, his name comes up. Here's a list of his patients.

Dr. Joseph Maroon
Dr. David L. Black

Two men very well known in their field, who have done wonders for athletes, and the WWE. Name-dropping doesn't mean anything for a ticket selling event like the WWE Hall Of Fame. If that were the case, bodyguards would go into Music Hall Of Fame.

He transcends the wrestling world, he's probably more famous than any wrestler currently in the Hall of Fame right now.

And I'm sure he deserves every accredited award for his services. But not one reserved for personalities in wrestling. Think about it- the majority of wrestling fans are casual fans. They wouldn't know who this person was, which means he wouldn't help the moneymaking event if inducted.

And at the end of the night, money is going to play a big role in who goes into the Hall of Fame, and who doesn't.

By your logic CM Punk should be inducted into the MLB Hall Of Fame because he sang the 7th inning stretch at a Cubs game. People might have tuned into the game because Punk was going to be on and might become baseball fans as a result which would make money for the MLB.

Again, WWE has always been about Pop Culture. It is driven by Pop Culture. My logic stands on what WWE is about. The MLB may have made money off of a Punk appearance, but Pop Culture isn't nearly as important to baseball as it is to sports entertainment.

I'm not saying yes without a doubt Dr. Andrews should be inducted. I'm saying based on what I deem a silly induction of someone who really did nothing for the company I wouldn't be opposed to inducting him.

I already explained to you what made Drew Carrey an icon. If you don't like him, that's fine. But facts are he is still the only celebrity to have ever entered in the Royal Rumble. That's a huge reason to induct someone into the Hall of Fame. What did the first celebrity ever inducted, Pete Rose, do for the company besides get punished by Kane a few times?

He's been talked about and I believe even has talked on camera several times over the years when wrestlers have had to have surgeries. As other people have said he has been talked about in the sports world for the surgeries that he has performed on other athletes.

And I have stated many times he deserves several awards to his contribution. But once more, WWE's Hall Of Fame isn't about the doctors in the back or the people who put out the pyrotechnics when the flames get out of hand. If it was we would have seen these people inducted in the very first Hall of Fame ceremony.

If you read my very first post in this thread when the physical therapist I saw was talking about him he said that I would probably know him from his work with professional wrestlers. He has an association with wrestling.

So does everyone else who has worked their asses off in the back.

It's not like they would base the whole Hall of Fame ceremony around him.

It's ironic you said that when a minute ago you were criticizing Drew Carrey's induction.

I'm not against the idea of him being inducted. But from an outside perspective, the WWE Hall Of Fame honors characters made famous by who played them (Road Warriors, Steve Austin, etc), those who paved the way (Verne Gagne), and those who are a part of Pop Culture history that popped in (J-Woww, Shaq, etc).

I can't stress this enough. The WWE Hall of Fame ISN'T the Sports Hall of Fame.

There has to be a line drawn somewhere. HBKistheHOF said it as clear as day; if the WWE is to induct a doctor, even one as highly acclaimed as Andrews, on the reason given in numerous posts, we may as well induct wrestler's trainers, sparring partners, dieticians, etc until the Hall of Fame has no prestige at all.

Keep in mind how kayfabe the HoF is. When The Undertaker gets inducted, he isn't getting inducted under the name of Mark Calaway.

Again, WWE has always been about Pop Culture. It is driven by Pop Culture. My logic stands on what WWE is about. The MLB may have made money off of a Punk appearance, but Pop Culture isn't nearly as important to baseball as it is to sports entertainment.

I already explained to you what made Drew Carrey an icon. If you don't like him, that's fine. But facts are he is still the only celebrity to have ever entered in the Royal Rumble. That's a huge reason to induct someone into the Hall of Fame. What did the first celebrity ever inducted, Pete Rose, do for the company besides get punished by Kane a few times?

And I have stated many times he deserves several awards to his contribution. But once more, WWE's Hall Of Fame isn't about the doctors in the back or the people who put out the pyrotechnics when the flames get out of hand. If it was we would have seen these people inducted in the very first Hall of Fame ceremony.

So does everyone else who has worked their asses off in the back.

It's ironic you said that when a minute ago you were criticizing Drew Carrey's induction.

I'm not against the idea of him being inducted. But from an outside perspective, the WWE Hall Of Fame honors characters made famous by who played them (Road Warriors, Steve Austin, etc), those who paved the way (Verne Gagne), and those who are a part of Pop Culture history that popped in (J-Woww, Shaq, etc).

I can't stress this enough. The WWE Hall of Fame ISN'T the Sports Hall of Fame.

What does the WWE have to lose by inducting him? Would it somehow cheapen the Hall of Fame?

Do you think that people would refuse to buy tickets to the ceremony because of his induction?

It took 10 years to get a celebrity into the Hall of Fame so that invalidates your argument about honoring anyone in the back. Because if it was about honoring celebrities we would have seen some in the first class.

There are so many that deserve to be in the hof before him Randy savage, Rick rude, Stan hensen , bruser brody, Demolition, jake robert, bam bam bigglow , One Man Gang, rick martel, Baron von Raschke, Owen Hart, Luna vochon, miss elizbeth,Mr. Wrestling,Paul Jones,Magnum TA,rock n roll express, dick murdoc the lsit goes on and on.

What does the WWE have to lose by inducting him? Would it somehow cheapen the Hall of Fame?

No it would not. Reread my first post. I am all for a hard working person getting awarded for their hard work. But I don't believe a real-life surgeon belongs in a Hall Of Fame that is for actors, do you?

Again, WWE's Hall of Fame is NOT the Sports Hall of Fame, where a guy like him belongs.

Do you think that people would refuse to buy tickets to the ceremony because of his induction?

I nowhere said such a thing. I am clearly stating that the induction ceremony is meant to do what every WWE Event does: make money. If the WWE sees that Dr. Andrews can help make them money, he is going in. Otherwise, there's no sense in putting him in along with fake names like Randy Savage.

Nobody is going to boycott the Hall of Fame if he's inducted. It just doesn't make sense for him to be inducted when many others that have done what he has gets no credit for it.

It took 10 years to get a celebrity into the Hall of Fame so that invalidates your argument about honoring anyone in the back. Because if it was about honoring celebrities we would have seen some in the first class.

Actually, you validated my argument even more. It took that long to make a Celebrity Wing credible. It's called the Hall of Fame for a reason. You don't induct someone the year they popped in. Time needs to pass for someone to be considered Hall of Fame worthy. I figured that was common sense.

No it would not. Reread my first post. I am all for a hard working person getting awarded for their hard work. But I don't believe a real-life surgeon belongs in a Hall Of Fame that is for actors, do you?

Again, WWE's Hall of Fame is NOT the Sports Hall of Fame, where a guy like him belongs.

I nowhere said such a thing. I am clearly stating that the induction ceremony is meant to do what every WWE Event does: make money. If the WWE sees that Dr. Andrews can help make them money, he is going in. Otherwise, there's no sense in putting him in along with fake names like Randy Savage.

Nobody is going to boycott the Hall of Fame if he's inducted. It just doesn't make sense for him to be inducted when many others that have done what he has gets no credit for it.

Actually, you validated my argument even more. It took that long to make a Celebrity Wing credible. It's called the Hall of Fame for a reason. You don't induct someone the year they popped in. Time needs to pass for someone to be considered Hall of Fame worthy. I figured that was common sense.

I wasn't aware William Perry, Bob Uecker, Drew Carrey, Pete Rose and Mike Tyson were fake names.
So if they ran an angle with Dr. Andrews where he had interaction with a wrestler that would suddenly change your opinion and he would deserve to go in?

He wouldn't make money for the WWE by being in the Hall of Fame but there are guys like James Dudley in the Hall who most likely don't make money for them either.

Your last statement echos my point. Just because there was no one from backstage in 1993 that they deemed worthy of being in the Hall doesn't mean that hasn't changed over time. There always has to be a first.

I think inducting their current Doctor who saved Jerry Lawler's life would be more deserved. But I don't see that happening either.

I fully understand that the HOF ceremony is another event designed to sell tickets and make money but Dr. Andrews doesn't need to be the one drawing the money. He would be a filler inductee. The HOF needs some fillers because if you just stack the class with huge names every year you'll quickly run out of candidates. Andrews can talk for about five minutes just to fill out the show. It's just like an actual wrestling card. Nobody bought WrestleMania VI to see Tito Santana vs. The Barbarian but matches like that are necessary so the fans can feel they got their money's worth by getting a complete show.

Many others have done what he's done? Of course I'm sure there have been countless doctors that have helped the wrestlers over the years, but there is a reason we know who Dr. Andrews is but we don't know any other names. You're making it sound like if WWE puts Dr. Andrews in the HOF they should put every doctor in. That's like saying because they put Hulk Hogan in they should put every wrestler in. Consider Dr. Andrews the Hulk Hogan of surgeons.

The HOF is for contributions to the sport. This man has definitely contributed to the sport. He has performed countless surgeries on various superstars, and helped them get back in the ring 100%. I actually think this is a great addition to the HOF as it starts to show some real big contributors behind the scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back