who should have won the wwe championship but didn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

mykeymayhem

Dark Match Winner
who do you think should have won the wwe or whc but hasn't or didn't?
Why do they deserve it?

My vote has to go to Owen Hart, He had in ring ability,a good persona going with the black heart(before the whole blue blazer crap), He beat Brett Hart the same night Brett went on to win the title. I for one was always surprised he didn't get the same or a bigger push than his brother.

I have 3, an obvious choice, a debatable choice, and one way out of left field

1. Curt Hennig
- curt hennig is my obvious choice, and i am thinking around his '94-'96 run with the wwf. those were kind of the dark years of the wwf, and with only HBK, Bret Hart and the undertaker as their stars, i think there was plenty of room for hennig. he had the obvious in ring ability to go with those type of main eventers, and he had great heel charisma. another person in this time would be owen hart, but that was already mentioned

2. scott hall
- this is my controversial pick. while it is obvious hall had the charisma, in ring ability and was pretty over, his backstage issues are a problem. now i don't know how prevelant they were during his razor ramone run in the wwf, but i don't think they were totally out of control. giving him a run could have been another perk to keeping him in the wwf, preventing the NWO that gave the wwf such trouble.

3. goldust
- this one is totally out of left field, but when you think about it it makes sense. the time would be around the booker dust, mania 19 time. I believe that if booker T had won at 'mania 19, it could have led to a mankind like title run. it would only be a couple of weeks, but nonetheless i think he deserved it. dustin rhodes was a veteran to the business, he was alright in the ring, but most importantly he was extremely over at the time. it would be more of a thank you title reign and short lived, but i think it could have worked.

i have 3 picks

curt henning/mr perfect
great wrestler never got the big push but was great in the ring and on the mic

million dollar man
just for the fact i think this bloke was awsome cant understand why he dint win it a couple of times he was a big player along with macho man,hogan and andre at the time also thought his match with macho man at wrestlemania 4 i think it was the tornament final was amazing match

billy gunn
just cause i allways had the time for billy gunn when he turned into the bad ass billy gunn as i think he was gd in the ring and on the mic had some gd matches in his time just dint get the push i think he should of

So many choices for this. There are a lot of obvious choices like Curt Hennig, Rowdy Roddy Piper and Ted DiBiase to name a few but I'll go with one person that should of and who definitely would have at some point had his career not gotten fucked over.

Muhammad Hussan. The man was arguably one of the best heels of the last decade and had it not been for the storyline involving the abduction of The Undertaker using the men in ski masks, he would have eventually gotten a title run. He got Vickie Guerrero style heat but not because he was annoying. The crowd hated this guy. There really was no gray area of some people liking him and most not liking him. As a heel, this guy was on the fast track to championships until his release over the controversial angle.

Well this thread was done alot before including a recent one by me but oh well.

Mr.Perfect Curt Hennig had it all, the look the talent the mic skills the charisma.. you name it, yet he didn't get the chance to be the WWE Champ cause of Hulk Hogan's selfishness, that's probably one of the things The Ultimate Warrior says hes gonna expose him for.

Another guy is "Ravishing" Rick Rude, same reason as Perfect, except I don't think Hogan had anything to do with it.

Surely it goes straight to Jake Roberts? He had some decent heat, great performer. Good angles with Undertaker and Sid. Majorly underrated guy. He didn't hold a single championship under Vince.

Also Ted DiBiase is a good shout as well. He worked better under the whole faction thing but it doesn't stop a title run.

Booker T should of went over Triple H at WM19 thats the one that leaves me with the worst memory. Booker T pulled out all the stops, hit all of his big moves, and feel to one pedigree.

Currently CM Punk is a person on the roster who needs to win the WWE Championship so he can join that elite group of people who have held the ECW, WHC(WCW) and WWE Championships.

Scott Hall. The man has charisma and is a great wrestler. Besides, he is the only member of the Kliq (except Sean "1-2-3 Kid" "X-Pac" "Syxx" Waltman) to have never won the belt.

Well this thread was done alot before including a recent one by me but oh well.

Mr.Perfect Curt Hennig had it all, the look the talent the mic skills the charisma.. you name it, yet he didn't get the chance to be the WWE Champ cause of Hulk Hogan's selfishness, that's probably one of the things The Ultimate Warrior says hes gonna expose him for.

Another guy is "Ravishing" Rick Rude, same reason as Perfect, except I don't think Hogan had anything to do with it.

Yo, just wanted to let you know that Hogan's selfishness had nothing to do with Perfect not getting the WWE Championship. He didn't get the championship because he couldn't draw. He was booked to fight Hogan for the title and NOBODY CARED. Nobody bought tickets, nobody watched, nobody talked about it. I don't know how Hogan's selfishness could've caused that.

There have been a lot of good names mentioned here - especially Muhammed Hassan. He would've done some great things if not for the timing of his angle with The Undertaker. Remember, it wasn't the angle that caused him to leave - it was the fact that it aired a few hours after the bombings in London.

One name that hasn't been mentioned that shouldn't be forgot is Ludvig Borga. He was getting a great push, being the first guy to beat Tatanka, squashing Marty Jannetty when he still mattered, getting IC title shots, holding his own against main eventers at Survivor Series...and then he broke his ankle and his contract quietly expired. If that hadn't happened, he would've won the WWF Championship later that year.

Oh, this is a list that is so very long, perfect, roberts, goldust, hell until recently christian. Most of all I would have to say... Ricky Steamboat, the guy puts on one of the best mania matches even to today and went nowhere with it!

My pick would be Lex Luger they shoulda added a stip at the '93 Summerslam where if Yokozuna was counted out he would become champ.
Another would be "The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase cause he was the complete package.
same goes for Curt Hennig s far as Scott Hall goes I think not. Roddy Piper deserved it more than Scott Hall

One thing I always have to remind myself is that a guy can't be put over and be champ simply because I wish he would. There is a business side of everything. My answer first of all would have been Dibiase. I know that the WWE tests things often. They start to push certain people and see if more people tune in. If people don't tune in anymore when that person is on TV then why push them? Because they are a hard worker? Because they are under rated?

Everyone claims to be non-markish, wrestling purists. They scream for Benoit as champ. Everyone agrees how cool that would be. They do it. He wins at Mania and the crowd comes unglued... for two nights. The night of Wrestlemania and the first time he walks out on Raw wearing the strap. Then what happens? WWE is coming to your town a few months later for a house show and you read the card. Benoit defending the title in the main event and suddenly you're halfhearted about going.

When it comes to locking myself in and watching beautiful wrestling on DVD then give me benoit, malenko, mysterio... I don't have as much interest in John Cena or HHH or Undertaker's in ring style... but somehow I want to hear that they are carrying the strap when the show comes to my town. Seems backwards I know.

To make a long post short Raven (for example) may be the coolest cat ever but he didnt "deserve" the strap. Had he gotten it ticket sales, tshirt sales, PPV sales, and many other things would have dropped like a rock... and you can't run a business that way.

the first and most obvious is Curt Hennig.. then id say guys like Rowdy Roddy Piper and Scott Hall... but one of my personal favourites who should have won was Ken Shamrock..he was pretty much the only main eventer in the attitude era (along with Foley, HBK, HHH, Rock, Austin, Taker) to have never won the WWE title due to his shortstay

Gonna go with someone not mentioned and throw William Regal out there. Now I'm not talking about a big title run but back when he was in his prime I think him being a transitional champ would have not been out of the question. He's always been pretty over with the crowd and is a fantastic wrestler. So yea my vote goes for Regal, although I obviously agree with a lot of the names already mentioned.

There are too many to name here, but one I'll mention is Ted DiBiase Sr. He was originally slated to win the tournament at WrestleMania 4 to become champ, but things got in the way of that and instead, Randy Savage won.

Scott Hall and had his "demons" and that way have gotten in the way of him winning the big one. Curt Hennig did become AWA Champion before we went to the WWF, but his reign's biggest claim to fame was when he lost the title to Jerry Lawler.

I'm gonna go with Billy kidman
I don't think he should of just been a cruiserweight or tag team partner he was good he had the look was good in the ring amd was decent on the mic

At the top of the list, in my opinion, is the Million Dollar Man. In the late 80s, there was no better heel in wrestling than Ted DiBiase. Not Ric Flair, not Terry Funk, not Randy Savage, not Andre the Giant or anyone else. From the moment DiBiase's MDM character first appeared on WWF television, he was instantly the most hated heel in the company. The character was great, DiBiase was a natural in his role, he was loaded with charisma, he could work the mic second to none and he was a skilled technician inside the ring.

I think DiBiase being WWF Champion circa 1988 while having the likes of Savage and/or Hogan chasing him for the title would've been the next best thing to a license to print money.

Curt Hennig is someone that I believe could also have been a credible champ had he ever gotten the title. In my opinion, he wasn't as good on the mic or as charismatic as Ted DiBiase, but his all around in-ring ability & athleticism made up for that. Hennig was someone that I just plain enjoyed watching wrestle. I don't think he would have ever really drawn a lot of money, but someone with his natural abilities being champ can always just add to the prestige of the title.

I've read some of the other choices some have picked and some are pretty far out there. Goldust??? Seriously?? I understand that we often wind up picking guys that we like for threads like this but, c'mon. As far as Scott Hall goes, look at the stuff that we've learned about Hall over the years. A chronic alcoholic that's battled his addiction throughout his entire career and a terrible reputation of being unreliable. As for Jake Roberts, basically the same thing. I liked Jake a lot but WWF made the right call by not putting the title on the likes of him or Scott Hall.

Hogan was absolutely to do with Rude not getting the belt... along with Warrior... Hogan refused to work with Rude for the title, saying he was "too small" to be credible against him, and Warrior, having jobbed the IC to him refused to do the same for the WWE title... That act led directly to the Sgt Slaughter debacle... would you rather have seen Hogan v Slaughter or Rude v Warrior at WM7?

Davey Boy Smith should really have gotten the belt in 92 over Bret... he was more over and more marketable... especially with opponents like Razor Ramon and Yokozuna in the pipeline.. but there really was no reason not to give him the belt in 96 other than Kliq politics... Shawn would have got it back but Davey should have come out of KOTR 96 or IYH 8 champ... for me though that I got to see Davey at least announced as World Champ once, even if it was overturned immediately makes him the champ... even for a few seconds... and what the hell were WCW doing in 93? Letting him Powerslam Vader so hard on the floor he "couldn't get up" but not giving him the belt? crazy...

roddy piper gets it for me. he was one of the biggest stars ever, and he is constantly towards the top on many of the wwe's lists, like their best talkers. how he never won the big one baffles me.

I know it's supposed to be World Heavyweight Championship and/or WWE Championship -- both in the WWE -- but a few of those mentioned have held world championship titles before: Rick Rude was the first World Class Wrestling Association champ (when WCCW withdrew from the NWA, renamed their promotion, and "promoted" Rude who was NWA American champ at the time); Curt Henning was AWA champ; Ricky Steamboat was NWA champ; Lex Luger was WCW champ; and even Raven was ECW and then NWA champ (when TNA was still part of the NWA).

But I digress . . .

1. For ability, I'll go with William Regal (mentioned before, would be a good transitional champ and could actually build a decent feud when given the opportunity).

2. For pure drawing ability, there's no question Rowdy Roddy Piper should have had it.

3. However, for my personal choice, I have to say I'm a Memphis Wrasslin' fan born and raised -- give it to The King (former AWA and WCWA champ -- first to hold world titles from two promotions, and yes, I know Verne Gange owned both at the time).

Here is something else I'll point out. In my early twenties I took some money and decided to go to a Pro wrestling training facility in my town. I never really made a career out of it but I do feel like I got a heck of an education and an appreciation for the business and for the physical aspect of it all.

While being trained I had it explained to me from A lot of guys who have been around the business for a long time that the world title is a gimmick. Most people don't think of it that way. Even though we know wrestling is a show we talk about "winning the title" in some odd hybrid way that is half insider and half mark.

Jake Roberts never needed the title. He needed his promos and a bag over his shoulder and his wrestling style. Fans went nuts. Nothing could have made him more over than what he already was. In the back most wrestlers don't regard the strap the same way we do. Who "deserves" it. Some wrestlers honestly don't want it. We have these imaginations, though, that poor Christian was "heartbroken" because he was a transitional champ and his "lifelong dream" that he "waited so long for" was cut short. The title is a gimmick that is placed on one person or another to move the story along. Much like Cody Rhodes was given a protective mask or D'lo brown was given a chest protector.

I think everyone has offered some good points and no one has really done this too much here but i hate to have conversations with a person who hurts for XYZ wrestler because the belt was never put on them.

:::Leonardo Dicaprio is such a great actor and I've heard he is great on the set. They shouldn't have killed him at the end of Titanic. He works hard enough as an actor that he "earned" the right for his character to live and get to marry Rose. They could have put him over instead of burying him... in the ocean.:::: Selah.

William regal should have been champion, christian ( yes I know he had the belt for 2 days ) should have been a proper champion by now. Roddy piper should have been champ and a good one he would have been. Benoit and eddie should have been champs more than once. Bobby lashley would have been good wwe champ not ecw. Shelton benjamin deserved a push, how many money in the bank matches can you be in without winning one. Matt hardy for me would have been good when he was facing edge a few years back. That's all I can think of for now, oh and morrison to be future champ !!

You could make a case for a dozen guys past and present that should have had at least 1 title run but I will list 5..... 1: Mr. Perfect 2: Jake The Snake Roberts 3: Owen Hart 4: Ted Dibease 5: Jerry The King Lawler ... You guys are probably like Lawler? Are you serious bro? Haha but for real Lawler did a LOT for the industry. His indy work was tremendous during the memphis days. He was a big draw then with fueds against Macho Man just to name an important one. His early WWF days he was a huge heel against Bret Hart. In a day where guys like Sheamus held the title in only a year of wrestling there was no reason why Lawler didn't have ONE WHC run. That's my small list of 5.

Bobby Lashley- he has the look and in ring skill, but sucks left buttcheek on the mic

Gangrel- around '99, a fued with Taker could have easily made this guy the real deal. He was already over, great gimmick, solid in the ring, but once again the mic skills weren't there.

Test- if you ask me, Test was the total package. The ladies went gaga everytime the guy came out. He was a very muscular guy. Who could forget that music of his "Test, test, test, This is a test". Plus, he was majorly over as a heel when with the un-americans, and as a face in 2001. If not anyone else on this list, DEFINITELY Test!

Billy Gunn- smh, i was looking at the kiss my ass match the other day (not to see that lady's ass either), and i realized, Billy Gunn is gifted as hell in the ring! I think 6'5 240somethin. If you ask me, as far as in ring competing, Billy Gunn is lightyears ahead of Triple H. No disre to The Game, it's just he slept with the bosses daughter, that's what got him to the top. I guess Billy just got buried under Triple H. In an interview i saw, Billy said he hated HHH. But all in all, billy could have easily been WWE champion!

roddy piper gets it for me. he was one of the biggest stars ever, and he is constantly towards the top on many of the wwe's lists, like their best talkers. how he never won the big one baffles me.

Cos he was a Middleweight if not Cruiser in reality, Vince was building Hogan and the monster era... so a smaller guy coming out on top was never going to work... by the time his chance came, Piper had already done the deal with John Carpenter for They Live... make no mistake, if he hadn't he'd have had the belt not Randy Savage... but one of the best movie quips ever would never have been made... tough call...cos lets face it everyone knows "I came here to chew bubble gum and kick ass..."

Gangrel was 10 years ahead of his time... if he'd have come out when Twilight did... instant hero/villain champ... they did try with Kevin Thorn etc... Gangrel had the ingredients but he was too hokey for the attitude era, more a guilty pleasure than champ.. shame cos the music alone deserved the push...

Billy Gunn was a misnomer, he was gifted enough to stay employed, it took his partnership with Road Dogg to get him noticed and somewhat unjustly, he got the big push... he is the best example of a talented guy blowing his chance.... one guy you could add is Big Bossman, he could easily have deposed Hogan for a short reign and later when he was fed to Big Show, he could have sneaked a win... as a big man talent he was the best of his era, even more so than Vader or Bigelow (moonsaults do not make an awesome champ...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back