• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

who do you feel was ecw's most underrated wrestler?

medz

Dark Match Winner
the title is self explanitory, i will get the ball rolling.

1. kid kash: this guy had tremendous wrestling talent, and a unique type of rock star look, he could put on the solid matches with anyone.
Only problem was, he was pushed by ecw when ecw was about to go out of business,(remember his tv title run).

2. steve corino: this guy was just compelling, he was the king of the old school and just a tremendous worker, he was always bleeding, taking tough bumps, and had to really work hard to get to where he was, he reminds me a bit of cm punk, as he was anti hardcore matches, which means he was pretty much anti ecw.

3. too cold scorpio: in his ecw heyday he was just phenomenal the man was a high flying master, and just very talented, i feel he should have done more than what he did in ecw, he even got a great match out of sabu for fuck sake, and then wwe going and ruin him with the stupid flash funk gimmick.

bit of a side note: rvd was not underrated, but him not getting the ecw heavyweight belt until ecw went out of business was underrated.

But what is your most underrated wrestler?,thoughts.

I think Mikey Whipwreck was underrated.

He was of smaller stature and a natural underdog, but he was a great in-ring performer. Mikey held the TV title, Tag Titles w/ Cactus Jack and Tajiri, and beat the Sandman in a ladder match for the ECW World Heavyweight Title.

Mikey had a great feud with Cactus Jack too, right before Cactus left for WWE. The fans really got behind Whipwreck and he gained quite the following.

I loved Mikey's finisher (The Whipper-Snapper?) You Tube him...it's great.

I have to agree with you on kid kash...the dude was just awesome 100% of the time...it sucks that TNA had to team him up with Lance Hoyt and WWE had to put hime with Jamie Noble..the dude could have left a legacy.

Clearly it was the Zombie... his in-ring work was legendary and the few promos he gave were always spot on. He was simply not given enough time to develop his character and showcase his incredible abilities.

All joking aside, I'd have to say that Stevie Richards was probably the most underrated guy coming out of the old ECW. He was Ravens lackey, which he played to absolute perfection. Then there were the imitations he and the Meanie did that I thought very rarely missed. The bWo was probably the highlight of these for me. All of these, along with other promos he conducted and various angles he was in, showed that he had personality... he could be pathetic, funny, and occasionally intense with an ability to get any (or all) of these traits across to the audience effectively.

The guy was a pretty solid in-ring worker too. He would get beat up and take bumps, but he also had general wrestling knowledge and looked believable. I honestly thought the guy was going to be the next Shawn Michaels after he was eventually called up to the big leagues. Obviously that never happened. He languished in the lower mid-card either doing toned-down reprises of his much more colorful ECW characters, or stuff like "Right To Censor" that just simply didn't fit the kind of wrestler Richards could be.

First off great topic and i completely agree with your picks. All three of them were completely underated. But of course I have some to add.

Al Snow: Everyone knows him as the guy who talked to the head and everything or the tough enough trainer but he was an above average wrestler. Kinda like Scorpio, his gimmick, whether good or bad, overshadowed his wrestling ability while in ECW. I can recall watching his very first match in ECW in like 93 against Chris Benoit...a 15 minute time limit draw that was better than 90% of the matches WWE can produce today. And yeah of course the head gimmick is legendary.

Chris Candido: Just a great in ring worker who could have possibly been ECW Champion.

Steven Richards: Kinda like Al Snow he was really underrated due to his gimmick with the BWO. He was another one of those solid in ring guys throughout his career.

I would say Lance Storm but everyone knows his ability in the ring.

Mike awesome is looked down up on and is ridiculed for going to wcw. When many wrestlers went to wcw at the time and didn't get shit for it. Eddie guerrero even got a going away party. Well mike had the best match at ons and was never given a chance again after he was that 70's guy

Stevie Richards by far. If he wouldn't have done the bwo gimmick and ravens lackey, I could see him being ecw champ a few times. Don't get me wrong, I loved the bwo gimmick, but what if he was champ and had raven as his lackey??

All the guys mentioned (apart from the Zombie) where top class performers. I6t really does go to show just how good (The Original) ECW really was. But you know who my pick is? Balls Mahoney!!! He was a great amateur wrestler before his "incident", he was a solid, solid worker who could get a good match out of anyone. He had a great move-set for a man of his size & he was so much mor ethan just a hard-core, chair swinging freak! I can't remeber the ppv, but he once went one on one with RVD for the TV Title & the match was fucking epic!!! He had a good few wars aswel!

Stevie Richards

Richards has been criminally underrated his entire career. His time in ECW marked the beginning of his career where he played several roles that were meant more for comedic relief than anything else. We saw him play roles such as Big Stevie Cool, Stevie Flamingo and Baron Von Stevie- all of which were very well done. Unfortunately, alot of people overlook his in ring work. Richards sells moves as good as anyone else in the business, has good mic skills and is technically sound. He has shown tremendous versatility with the numerous gimmicks he has been able to successfully work.

Reactions: Lee
"Superstar" Steve Austin.

Coming into ECW, he had a huge chip on his shoulders, and legitimate hatred for the company that had let him go, WCW. He used Extreme Championship Wrestling to let out his frustrations in front of the camera, and let me tell you, his promos were as good if not better than Raven's. In fact I'm not quite sure if Austin even won the gold over there, which would leave him a little underrated.

People would disagree, but if it wasn't for Heyman and his small company, we might have never seen the persona that is Stone Cold Steve Austin shine.

Blonde hair, blue-eyed heel that he was, maybe it was ECW that made WWF(E) realize Austin's potential, and that's why they signed him on.

The rest is history.

i have three names. BTW Great topic

Balls Mahoney - This big man could do a moonsault. I think his best match was at the end of ecw with Justin Credible. Balls truly had the crowd going crazy and put on a 4 star match. His gimmick was great and I loved his music. " I got big balls...."

Masato Tanaka - He put on two of ecw's greatest matches. You could always expect him to deliver for his size and people really don't mention him that often although you can't separate what he did although he was under contract in Japan.

RoadKill - Another Big Man that was a good tag team wrestler. He didn't win all the time but definitely bulked up his team and added that Holy Crap factor. He also could do a moonsault.. I def see a pattern with big men in ecw. Heyman had a good wrestler. He isn't talked about but the Amish Warrior was great to watch and had a cool gimmick.

Little Guido: For being a smaller guy the guy could brawl. in ECW he was famed for his no nonsense grappling style and his tough Italian attitude. IMO ECW didn't use him right and WWE used him the same way.

Nova: See Everyone's definition for Stevie Richards.

Yoshihiro Tajiri

While wrestling in Mexico in late 1998, Tajiri was observed by Extreme Championship Wrestling owner Paul Heyman, who invited Tajiri to wrestle for ECW in the United States.
He debuted in December 1998 by picking up a victory against Antifaz Del Norte.
The match was well received by the fans in attendance at the ECW Arena, who gave many standing ovations during the match.
In early 1999, Tajiri would soon begin to emulate The Great Muta, who was one of Tajiri's wrestling heroes growing up.
While in ECW, Tajiri had long feuds with Super Crazy, Little Guido, and Jerry Lynn.
He formed an alliance with Steve Corino and Jack Victory, as well. Tajiri later formed a tag team with Mikey Whipwreck known as The Unholy Alliance, and they were managed by The Sinister Minister.
Tajiri remained loyal to ECW until the company folded in April 2001.
Tajiri participated in the final two shows on January 12, where he picked up a victory over Super Crazy, and January 13, 2001, where he lost to Super Crazy in their final ECW match.
During his tenure with the company, Tajiri held the ECW World Television Championship and ECW World Tag Team Championship.
He defeated his rival Super Crazy for the TV title and won a one-night tournament with Mikey Whipwreck for the vacant tag titles but never won the ECW World Heavyweight Championship in his time in ECW.

Lance Storm

In 1996, Storm joined Extreme Championship Wrestling (ECW).
He made a name for himself by becoming a villain and teaming with Chris Candido.
Then he was placed with valet Dawn Marie and teamed with Justin Credible as the Impact Players, racking up two tag team title reigns along the way.
Early in his ECW career, he took part in a match against Rob Van Dam at Barely Legal where he was booed by the crowd for two visibly "weak" chair shots to Van Dam.
During this time, Storm also gained a position as a booker in ECW and had a hand in much of the product content on TV and pay-per-view.
Storm proceeded to feud with Jerry Lynn, facing him in the opener of Anarchy Rulz.
After the company began to suffer financial hardships, Storm left ECW for World Championship Wrestling (WCW) in order to support his family.
His final match was against his former tag team partner, Justin Credible.
Lance Storm was in my opinion a technical wrestling legend far superior wrestler than in the promotion but only got one ECW World Heavyweight Championship opportunity and never won a singles title in ECW.

Im shocked nobody hit this guy already as the most underrated....I feel it was Nova. For 2 years if it wasnt for Nova, nobody on Monday Nights would have been able to come up with an innovative move. My runner-up would be EZ-Money, NOT KID KASH. I bet i went to 25 live ECW events in the last 2 years of ECWs existence and all I ever saw was Kash botch moves. To the point alot of guys (refused to work with him). EZ-Money outshined Kash in alot of their matches and if you forget this feud, watch it

Jerry Lynn. Fantastic wrestler, such a talent that was so pathetically used in the WWE. Why did they release him when he came back from injury and the WCW/ECW alliance had just begun??? Lynn would have been perfect for the IC/European title matches during this storyline.

Although he sucked on the mic, he could match anyone in the ring, anyone who has seen his famous matches with RVD will know that. Also, I LOVE the Cradle Piledriver!!

Honorable mentions go to Kid Kash and Mike Awesome, both great too

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back