Which was your favorite Old School Summerslam?

MrPerfect316

Dark Match Jobber
92 was mine.

Ill never forget that incredible event, still to me one of the most solid wrestling ppvs ever. Warrior and Savages match alone was just top notch, Bret and Bulldogs match finished it all off so amazingly and in the middle you had just an awesome blend of LOD, Money Inc and so many others.

Not to mention i loved the long walkway, i miss that...its little details like that, that i love and miss from time to time.

But for me yea that was one of my all time favs, Summerslam 93 and 94 i enjoyed alot as well in terms of old school Summerslams.

Mine was Summerslam 89. The first one I owned on video. I loved watching the Warrior win back the IC title from Rick Rude and the six-man tag with Duggan and Demolition vs Andre and the Twin Towers when Hacksaw had demolition facepaint on, class! :)

This one is pretty easy, 1991 was an incredible SummerSlam and maybe an all time great pay per view. Hart v Perfect is still considered a classic match. Plus you had the drama of macho man's marriage (which was cool to an 11 year old), and the match made in Hell. And a personal favorite, Jacques Rougeau showing off his acting skill after being carted off to prison. In his heyday, Ray Traylor was a great face and pulled off two great mid-card feuds (with the Mountie and later with Nailz).

The problem for me is that after 1991, wwe stopped knowing how to handle storylines over the summer (part of it was 1991 was the last Summer Hogan was the company's top draw). I felt 1992 was extremely disappointing filled with jobber matches, and after a double dq at SummerSlam the heavyweight title changed hands twice at house shows. SSlam 93 had a lot of potential, but was built around the idiotic storyline how Luger only had one shot at the title. 1994 had an overrated hart v hart cage match (try watching it on youtube, its almost unwatchable), and the taker v taker lunacy.

I'm not sure of which year would be the cut off for old school, but my favorite SummerSlam would def be 2002. It was 8 years ago so I guess it could be considered old school.

The lineup was amazing, you had Angle vs. Mysterio open the show up, which was an incredible match and one of the best openers ever. Angle has claimed he thinks it was the best match on the card. Which is saying something considering how many great bouts there were.

There was Chris Jericho vs. Ric Flair which was a pretty good contest.

Edge vs. Eddie Guerrero in the midst of their great trilogy of matches from Unforgiven, SummerSlam, and Smackdown. Those two always put on a great show.

Rob Van Dam vs. Chris Benoit in a nice match that saw RVD win the IC title.

Brock Lesnar vs. The Rock in an exciting and important match. Rock went all out to put Lesnar over in a sort of passing the torch match. Lesnar won his first world title in this bout after he hit Rock with an F-5.

And to top the night off, (even though this wasn't the main event) after a 4 year absence, the return of HBK! Shawn and Hunter had what I feel was their best match together. Of all the Hell in a Cell, Last Man Standing, Steel Cage, Three Stages of Hell matches, this Unsanctioned Street Fight which went on for almost 30 minutes is my favorite. Just pure magic and the New Jersey crowd was completely wild while this was going on.

Damn do I miss the attitude era...

Wow, I would have to say that mine is 92 and 97. I mean i like 92 because Bret and Davey Boy tore the house down and it had all the ingredients for an epic "story telling" match. I was watching it earlier this week and like 5 times before that and the promos by Bret & Bulldog gave me goosebumps each and everytimei watched it. I think it was something along the lines of.....

"Bret, you may be my family but as far as tonight goes i will not look at you as Bret my brother in Law. As a matter of fact, I don't even know you"

Bret retaliated with something like....

"You don't know me, Look me in my eyes and tell me you don't know me"

Plus, the icing on the cake was when they asked Diana who she was going for and she was indecisive cause they both are family. I mean that right there told you that you were in for one hell of a match and bet your ass they lived up to it.

Now for 1997, that was my favorite mainly for the faact the the opening promo for that ppv was fucking classic. and it all had to do with this question....Is it fair?

"Is it fair that the the special referee in tonight's main event is the challenger's bitter rival" and alot of other questions that really helped you understand everything that sets the tone for that promo and match.

As for matches......i liked all of them cause they all seemed personal,

i mean Stone Cold said to owen "If i can't kick it, I'll damn sure kiss it."
and got his neck broke by a piledriver. but he still walked out on his own, with the I.C title.

Speaking of broken necks.....

L.O.D. vs. The Godwins was good too all because they used the Doomsday Device and broke (I forget which one's neck) so Hawk said "last time was an accident but this time. is on purpose. Oh, What A Rush!" and they won by spike piledriver.

Bret Hart Vs. Taker.

this is, was and always will be one of my favorite matches of all times because you could feel the tension between bret and hbk. Bret would test HBK and HBK would start his % count and Bret would Say "shawn don't you do it" and i mean that was the main focus of the match and when shawn found the chairn in the ring.....that was the best part and he confronted Bret and bret said "fuck you and spit in his face..... i mean totally a perfect finish to a match so ....thos are my 2 favortie summerslams of all time.

The best part of HBK refereeing the 97 match was the stipulation, "If HBK screws Bret Hart, then he will not be allowed to wrestle in the USA again..."

It led to one of the funniest lines HBK ever said...

..."You think I don't take that seriously? If I can't wrestle in the United States, then all I have left is Canada. And if you think I want to wrestle in Canada, then let me cue you in on one of the most disappointing Christmas's of my life. I was 5-years old. And all I wanted was a GI Joe. I begged and pleaded with my parents to buy me one, and when I woke up on Christmas morning, I just knew that one was waiting for me under that tree. And then I saw it... A GI Joe. Only it wasn't a normal GI Joe... It was a Canadian GI Joe. And you know how I knew it was Canadian... Cause it was posed like this... (Holds arms in the air, surrendering)

For me it has to be 91.

The Hart/Perfect IC match,even to this day is still considered a wrestling classic!
Two great second generation grapplers showing just how much in their blood it was!
I might be mistaken,but wasn't Andre the Giant in someone's corner for a match?...I think that might have been his last appearance at WWF/E PPV?
Everyone remembers the "Match made in heaven"..I have to admit.Elizabeth did look rather lovely that night.
"Match made in Hell"..the match itself..ho-hum..BUT I do remember afterwards,Hulk brought Sid back out to join him for the posedown...IF THAT ISN'T THE DEFINITION OF A MAJOR LEAGUE PUSH....THEN WHAT THE HEEL IS???!!!

But what stands out to me,the NYC jailhouse match and what happened afterwards...People forget it might have been some of the funniest stuff they ever did.....
The cops are trying to fingerprint The Mountie...they ask for his finger:
"You want my finger?...HERE'S MY FINGER!!"..1st "bird" ever flipped on a PPV??

Then in the cell...
The drunk:You want to fight my buddy?..there's my buddy!!
Big Burly Biker....Don't you just love the way leather feels against your skin?

Rowdy Roddy Piper has the best line of the night..
"I think the Mountie's got a new friend!"

Gotta be 94' Undertaker vs. Undertaker...at the time it was a very intriguing story leading up to the match. Also Owen vs. Bret, and Tatanka revealed to be the one who joined the Million Dollar Corporation. Also 03' first ever Chamber match was memorable.

Id have to give my nod to 1998. You had a great line-up there. In the undercard you had Edge/Mero, Shamrock/Owen and the handicap tag team title match between NAO and Mankind. All were entertaining matches. Then the semi main-event was Rock/HHH for the IC Title in what i consider to be one of the best ladder matches ever. Then to top it all off, you had Taker/Austin for the WWF strap (which also was above average).

BTW Pone, correct me if Im wrong, but I believe the first chamber match happened at Survivor Series '02 at MSG. I was there and marked the fuck out when Michaels won.

I'm going to say summeslam 89. I liked the opening montage of wwe action and summertime activities. Also it had a lot of great matches like Brainbusters vs Hart Foundation, Rude vs Warrior, the 6 man tag with the Rockers, and the main event. Also I liked Mr Perfect, Roddy Piper, and Rick Rude's backstage interviews. Even the one with Duggan and Demolition was entertaining. Dusty Rhodes promo on HTM was funny.

I think it was SS 89. I was just such a huge fan of The Barber and was exited to see him in the main event. Also Liked the one after that. It was at the Philadelphia Spectrum and I got to go! It had the Warrior-Rude Cage match and I got to see my favorite tag team ever, The Hart Foundation, win the belts from Demotion. Also, Dibiase bought Saphire! HAHA!!

i think '02 was by far one of the very best pay-per-views of all time, not just summerslam, but any pay-per-view, the matches were stacked with future HOFers, great opener, great closer and everything in the middle was great, the only filler being un-americans (christian and lance storm) vs. goldust and booker t and test v. "american badass" undertaker, but you cant really call anything with storm, christian or undertaker "filler", and the unamericans were a very cool gimmick and a big part of the storylines at the time (9/11 was still on everyones minds) they just werent classics imo... but what was my favorite? '94 cuz i was there, just a little kid being exposed to the most larger then life spectacle i could possibly imagine as a 10 year old, i mean c'mon! undertaker vs. the undertaker? how cool is that?

2002 for me was the best SummerSlam event I've ever seen, SummerSlam is always viewed as the second biggest event of the year after Mania and I think 2002 was the last year they made it look like so.

You had a card that can easily be a WrestleMania card at any time, the opener between Angle and Mysterio was one of the best openers that I've ever seen in any event.

Then you had Jericho and Flair, two great wrestlers who always put great matches with anyone, put them together and you had a great match.

Then Edge vs Eddie Guerrero, both did well, it was a back and forth match, quick paced and non stop action from both, WWE miss Eddie so much, we need a heel that uses dirty tactics like him, RIP Eddie.

Then Booker T and Goldust vs The UnAmericans (Christian and Lance Storm), a great tag team action when the Tag Titles meant something back then, Booker T was on a roll back then, Dustin Rhodes was always a good worker and decent in the ring, while Christian and Lance played their role to perfuction, really awesome match and the end with Test gave the heels more heat than they already had.

Then came a great match, one of the greatest SummerSlam matches EVER, and certainly should be in the top 10 list of the best SummerSlam matches, it is the IC title match between Benoit and Van Dam, say what you like about Benoit, for me he was and always be the best technician this buissness ever produced, he never had a bad match, ever, with anyone and anybody he always produced great matches, and RVD can always produce fast paced moves that makes your jaw drops, combine these two and add a title in the mix and you get a classic, WWE also miss these two, and we are sure on of them will never appear nor mensioned on our screen again, I hope the second returns as soon as possible.

Then came Taker vs Test and while this was a good solid match between two big men comparing it to the rest of the card, you have to feel this was the card's let down match, espcially considering that Taker's the one who got over this night and it was a clean win, had Test won, it would've given him the momentum needed for a push that might have brought him to a higher place in the upper midcard or maybe the main event in the future.

After that HBK returned to the action after a four year hiatus, watching this now, I still feel the same goosebumps that I felt when I saw him in action then, this unsanctioned street fight between Michaels and Hunter was their best match in their long standing feud, HBK looked as if he missed nothing and made everyone wonder had he not been imjuired how good his matches at the Attitude era would've looked like had he not been injuired, this was another classic on the card and also a definite contender for the best 10 matches in SummerSlam's history.

Last but not least came the mainevent where Brock Lesnar overcame The Rock to win the title and become the youngest WWE champion ever till 2004, a good back and forth match, these two had a good chemistry and this was a historic moment by all means since the torch was finally passed to the next big thing then, Brock Lesnar was to be the man who everybody thought was going to carry the company on his shoulders for the next 10 years or so, unfortunatly he decided to go to other ventures two years after this, this was also The Rock's final title match and he took a brief absent to shoot a movie.

Man I miss those days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back