Whenever someone dies....

Boring

Occasional Pre-Show
As an atheist, it's hard for me to hear about people going to heaven and how their loved ones will see them soon, and the rest of that propaganda.

I don't say anything because that's classless, but as for atheism in general, it always seems like it's two steps back when it occurs. Like what are we fighting for?

I respect science and my opinion is that when we die we are gone, as is the case with most atheists I hope. But whenever tragedies happen I see more and more that everyone mentions prayers, heaven, after life etc. I've even seen it in atheists.

It brings me to the conclusion that the wide majority of people will always be religious and believe in some imaginary thing or another and that there is no changing it. Religion profits from death and it's proving more and more an impossible scheme to break.

Is there any chance for a peaceful, non-hateful society not blinded by religion and faith, or is it too ingrained in people that not even future generations will be able to be globally enlightened?

Faith drives people. It drives most people to do good deeds. It has driven some people to do evil things. This statement however:

Is there any chance for a peaceful, non-hateful society not blinded by religion and faith, or is it too ingrained in people that not even future generations will be able to be globally enlightened?

Atheism has also had hate filled violent members. Your focus on religion being the problem is trumped by the fact that Stalin was an atheist. Did he have a peaceful, non-hateful society?

People will believe what they want to believe about afterlife. Or in the words of Norm MacDonald (paraphrasing):

"You mean to tell me that if I believe what you say, I will just be dirt in the ground. But if I believe what the other person says I will be reunited with all my loved ones on a cloud in the sky?"

Whether you want to believe it or not, religion would always have its presence in this society. And this is coming from an atheist. You know why? Because people are afraid of the unknown. As far as a layman is considered, death is uncharted territory. Having faith gives them sense of security. On the other hand, religion is also driven by propaganda. A lot of people are religious, not because they believe in it, because they fear it. They're afraid of the society and rejection that may come if they don't accept the societal norms.

I am not saying having faith in something is wrong. There are always two sides of a coin. We have good and bad people on either side of the religious boundaries. All we can hope for is that people are not blinded by faith.

Religion can be good if it encourages compassion and empathy. As we all know, that is not the case.

Everything changes. I'm not saying that religion is bad, I'm saying that religion is doomed by it's own lack of scientific evidence. It certainly won't go away in our lifetimes, but it will go away eventually.

Scientific methods of proof are irrefutable, they're not dictated by a higher power but are identifiable by our own meager perceptibility. Religious methods of proof can be scientific, but even under those circumstances they have to refer back to "because God said so" as the beginning of the chain of explanation.

Religions can't take their message into territory that violates an individual's rights, this disables one of their most potent recruitment techniques. Either you brainwash your kids, or you hope that someone else thinks you're cool enough to emulate if you have any hope of getting a higher return on that offering plate.

I think we can have a non-hateful world society today if people would just ease the fuck up, religion or no religion. Jews and Muslims don't get along because Abraham had too many kids, that's literally what caused all of that. Christians follow a dogma that emphasizes that Jesus Christ is the son of God, even though Jesus Christ himself was never quoted as claiming as much and the Apostle Paul is apparently the guy who got that rumor started because he was broke. Scientology is just fucked, and you only need to visit the cracked.com forums to see how bad it can get. Mormon's believe that a guy named Joseph Smith is a prophet for finding iron clad proof that the entirety of the New Testament happened in North America. Atheists can get wayyyy ahead of themselves when it comes to stomping all over the good things in the lives of other people only for the sake of being a complete ********.

Coexistence is possible, but people need to ease the fuck up. Members of a religion need to stop and ask themselves if some jack-off burning their Holy book only for the attention in a different country really makes a difference in regard to their own path to salvation. I'm not saying be apathetic, I'm just saying don't be a fucking lunatic.

I see the world slowly, very slowly that is, coming to terms with the idea that we all have the same goal and we need to be a little more reasonable about every individual's right to the basic necessities of life. It's like the continental drift, or the Milky Way's eventual collision with Andromeda, I think a less hate-ful world society is on a very far horizon that we're inevitably going to reach.

How many atheists do you have in the vicinity? I guess, there are about 3 atheists in a 1000 people. If one of them attacks the religious customs, the other 997 will jump on him/her and tear him/her apart. Religion plays a very strong role in our life, especially in my country. Religious traditions could never end. There are some people who believe in science. But, at times, they also become theists.

On the other side of coin, religion is a good thing as well. You'll experience peace whilst you do those kind of activities. If someone dies and we don't have funeral, how will that look like? For the end of religion, I think it needs more than 1000 years.

As an atheist, it's hard for me to hear about people going to heaven and how their loved ones will see them soon, and the rest of that propaganda.

If you look at other people's beliefs as propaganda, then your whole approach is wrong and you will never find the ideal scenario that you are looking for.

It brings me to the conclusion that the wide majority of people will always be religious and believe in some imaginary thing or another and that there is no changing it. Religion profits from death and it's proving more and more an impossible scheme to break.

Every time someone posts something like "Thank god for this" or "Our prayers are with the victim" in a popular FB post, there is at least one atheist that comments something like "Ha! Still believing in imaginary figures? The victim needs a doctor, not your prayers." You seem like one of them. And it is because of such arrogance that many don't like atheists. If a religious person attacks an atheist, then many atheists flock together in protest. But atheists have taken a free license to include religion-bashing as one of their principal daily activities, like praying to "imaginary things" is for us.

What do you mean blinded by religion and faith? It's as much of an insult as classifying all atheists as non-believers that will rot in hell. A peaceful and non-hateful society will emerge when all types- religious, atheists, agnostics and everyone else learn to live together and respect each other's beliefs... and not with the extinction of one demographic.

Why does everyone think that religions and science cannot get along? The Catholic church I know donates tons of money and sponsers many universities, as well as research on biotech and even stem cells, although not embryonic. Hell, the father of genetics, Gregor Mendell, was a christian brother. However, this is off the point..

To the OP, if it gives people comfort why tear it down? This is what pisses me off about some (not all) athiests. If someone even mentions "God be with them" they fire back "LOL GOd doesnt exist you idiots. Why didnt your sky man save them?".

Athiests and liberals are all about tolerance, why cant you tolerate someone saying "Prayers for them"?

Athiests and liberals are all about tolerance, why cant you tolerate someone saying "Prayers for them"?

For myself and a lot of people I know, it's about being judged and deemed inferior or invalid. We don't need saving, we don't need prayer, we don't need educating and we treat any attempt to do such things as disrespect at best and philosophical imperialism at worst.
To be honest I think that mindset applies to both sides, people get very sensitive when you challenge their life choices. I think the theists are naturally more pro-active in bringing it up, because religion is of no interest to atheists...

...except when it comes to science, which brings me back to your other question.

Why does everyone think that religions and science cannot get along? The Catholic church I know donates tons of money and sponsers many universities, as well as research on biotech and even stem cells, although not embryonic.

You've asked and kinda answered your own question there with the last bit. Aside from the obvious statement that pure faith and pure science are direct contradictions of each other, the major problem atheists have with religion is that it gets in the way of progress. Religion is viewed as an obstacle to scientific advancement, not to mention social policy and politics in general (contraception and sexual equality, to name 2 main examples).

For myself and a lot of people I know, it's about being judged and deemed inferior or invalid. We don't need saving, we don't need prayer, we don't need educating and we treat any attempt to do such things as disrespect at best and philosophical imperialism at worst.
To be honest I think that mindset applies to both sides, people get very sensitive when you challenge their life choices. I think the theists are naturally more pro-active in bringing it up, because religion is of no interest to atheists...

...except when it comes to science, which brings me back to your other question.

You've asked and kinda answered your own question there with the last bit. Aside from the obvious statement that pure faith and pure science are direct contradictions of each other, the major problem atheists have with religion is that it gets in the way of progress. Religion is viewed as an obstacle to scientific advancement, not to mention social policy and politics in general (contraception and sexual equality, to name 2 main examples).

I respect the first statement you made, but come on what is the harm in saying God Be with them? If you don't believe in it, then don't take it to heart. At least it is a nice sentiment.

The second statement I can understand. I see why, when we have the old religions of Africa or even the fundamentalist Christians protesting a new vaccine or something that people think religion is all against science. We (Catholics) want to change that.

What is the harm in saying God Be with them? If you don't believe in it, then don't take it to heart. At least it is a nice sentiment.

Ask yourself this. Why say it? Why not just pray for someone without informing them? Why use something that the individual has personally rejected to wish them well? I've my own theory why but I'd like to hear the other side first.

As far as harm goes, no it's not harmful to most people, but it is insulting. I'm trying to think a comparison all I've got is this

Ok, so you've got 2 guys and they're having a BBQ when one of them falls into the pool. Wet Guy (or WG as he'll be known from now on) is soaking wet and freezing cold, so DG (Dry Guy) says

"Hey dude, I'll get you one of my dry shirts"

and he comes back with a Lakers/Man City/India shirt. WG looks at it and says

"Seriously? You know I'm a Celtics/Man Utd/Pakistan fan. You've a hundred shirts, why bring me that one?"

And ultimately that's what it comes down to. What you see as "A nice sentiment" is actually viewed by the other party as a poisoned chalice, a trojan horse or an attempt to undermine.

Ask yourself this. Why say it? Why not just pray for someone without informing them? Why use something that the individual has personally rejected to wish them well? I've my own theory why but I'd like to hear the other side first.
What about the OP who is complaining about others saying it to others? Why complain about it to people who find comfort in hearing those words? They say those words probably because that's the first comforting things they can think off to offer their condolences. You can hear all the non-religiously 'tainted' words about losses when most major faiths/countries offer their condolences when major figures of the world pass away due to PC. So why harp on people that don't do that?

As far as harm goes, no it's not harmful to most people, but it is insulting. I'm trying to think a comparison all I've got is this

Ok, so you've got 2 guys and they're having a BBQ when one of them falls into the pool. Wet Guy (or WG as he'll be known from now on) is soaking wet and freezing cold, so DG (Dry Guy) says

"Hey dude, I'll get you one of my dry shirts"

and he comes back with a Lakers/Man City/India shirt. WG looks at it and says

"Seriously? You know I'm a Celtics/Man Utd/Pakistan fan. You've a hundred shirts, why bring me that one?"

And ultimately that's what it comes down to. What you see as "A nice sentiment" is actually viewed by the other party as a poisoned chalice, a trojan horse or an attempt to undermine.
That's just petty and small minded. It's hard to fault the intention of the dry guy offering to help the wet guy. The wet guy seem to be very similar to the bigots who start religious and racial conflicts who view anything done by a guy that doesn't share his background to be offensive to his beliefs. And you seem to be equating the atheist that get offended by the God be with them gesture to be the same as those bigots.

The thing that would annoy me about someone praying for me is specifically what they are praying for. If it is as an act of condolence then fine but there are plenty who say that they will pray for you in the hope that you will "let Jesus Christ into your heart and accept him as your Saviour."

Things like that I just find insulting and worthy of a verbal backlash.

Барбоса;5223347 said:
The thing that would annoy me about someone praying for me is specifically what they are praying for. If it is as an act of condolence then fine but there are plenty who say that they will pray for you in the hope that you will "let Jesus Christ into your heart and accept him as your Saviour."

That's understandable, ever read the Stranger by Albert Camus?

Барбоса;5223347 said:

Yeah. That's the whole: "I'm praying for you in hopes that you'll join the club" sentiment. Even with best intentions, it generally communicates to the receiver that the receiver is not acceptable as is. This is strange to me, as (admittedly my interpretation) the Gospels tend to generally depict Jesus as accepting persons in the depth of their "personhood" (that lovely combination of wonderful and fallible traits). This topic could have its own thread.

Death seems to be something that make little sense within the scope of "love", perhaps because "love" itself doesn't make a lot of sense: a feeling that we feel when we are happy, sad, indifferent...all can have love involved. It seems rather transcendent, and when someone we love dies, it doesn't register as possible because our love of that person remains. So maybe it all comes back to the notion of love.

I don't say anything because that's classless, but as for atheism in general, it always seems like it's two steps back when it occurs. Like what are we fighting for?

I respect science and my opinion is that when we die we are gone, as is the case with most atheists I hope. But whenever tragedies happen I see more and more that everyone mentions prayers, heaven, after life etc. I've even seen it in atheists.

When someone dies, as an atheist, your job should be the same as if you were theist. To console their friends and family, as their friends and family will console you. Their beliefs, the beliefs of their parents, your beliefs, etc. don’t matter. The bond between you all is your grief over the loss. Embrace it, be there for each other and remember your friend fondly. Tell warming stories of their life and shake it off when the believers in the group talk about how happy they “know” he or she is in “heaven” or whatever magical place they believe in that supersedes reality and logic.

As an atheist—a rather vocal one at that—I can completely understand and empathize with the frustration you feel when the conversation does go there, but it’s an uphill battle you’re climbing, so pick your spots. Is it fucked up whenever someone dies and these people come out of the wood work to proclaim them heaven-bound? Sure is. Especially when it flies in the face of what these people might have actually believed in life (like in the event they were atheists, for example). But you don’t need to go to war over every perceived slight or moment of discomfort.

Atheism has also had hate filled violent members. Your focus on religion being the problem is trumped by the fact that Stalin was an atheist. Did he have a peaceful, non-hateful society?

Ah, right. Stalin. The ever-present low-hanging fruit in arguments against atheism.

A few things:

1. Atheism doesn’t have “members”. It’s not a church. Or a religion. It’s the answer to a singular question — do you believe in a god or gods? If yes, theism. If no, atheism. Everything else from that point on is irrespective of atheism itself. It’s owned by the individual.

2. To claim Stalin was an atheist is overly simplistic. He probably was, but when you build the bridge between that fact and the atrocities he committed to prove one caused the other, you over-stretch your reach. He established a new national church of Russia during his purges, and didn’t just kill clergy, but replaced them with his own men. He considered the church important to extending control from Moscow to all his satellite nations. Most historians and scholars think of Stalin as a ruler who envisioned himself a god, much like Kim Jong Un in North Korea today. So, atheist? I guess. Atheism was the reason he killed all those people? Nope. Not really. Not at all, even. He was an extremely disturbed person whose religious father abused and beat him as a child. Psychologically speaking, he wasn’t right in the head regardless of whether he believed in god or not.

3. Your argument is essentially that Stalin was an evil murderer. Stalin was an atheist. Thus, Stalin’s atheism has something to do with him being an evil murderer. Therefore, atheism causes evil?

OK. Hitler was an evil murderer. Hitler was a Christian (yes, Hitler was a Christian). Thus, Hitler’s Christianity has something to do with him being an evil murderer. Therefore, Christianity causes evil.​

Sword cuts both ways, champ. So if we’re about done with this nonsense and you want to actually discuss things rationally, I’m all ears.

—

Speaking generally to this thread, there’s a great read out this morning from RawStory about this very subject. You can read it here:

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/06/for-believers-fear-of-atheists-is-fueled-by-a-fear-of-death/

Faith drives people. It drives most people to do good deeds. It has driven some people to do evil things.

The 'evil' part is what scares the hell out of me because most of these people believe they're doing good when they slaughter a bunch of people "....because God commanded me to." The damage they want to do is also exactly what they claim God wants them to do. How very convenient.

Atheism has also had hate filled violent members.

Of course they do. Thing is, they're doing evil for reasons that have nothing to do with religion.....but evil is evil.

Religion isn't part of my life, but everyone else can believe as they wish; it's their right and privilege.....and none of my business, anyway.

That's why I'm not an Atheist. I'm an Agnostic, because while I don't believe in the Christian god, I believe there is some sort of higher power. How did we get here? The Big Bang? So it just happened, the universe was created out of nothing? It's really such a deep topic that we as humans aren't even capable of wrapping our minds around. The creation of the universe. And we as humans do not like wrapping our minds around things, so we have to subconsciously create something to make sense.

Before I used to widely be against Christianity. I blamed it for the dark ages, setting us back hundreds of years. But it's not like it was the first religion. Judaism was around before that, and then there were the Greek Gods. And amazingly it wasn't even a geographically thing, because over in Asia they seemed to come up with the same idea about Gods. And so did the Native Americans in North America in a way. And the Aztecs, and the Mayans. Places all over the world that had no contact with each other all managed to decide that there is some sort of higher power God that controls the world.

I got to a Christian college. And despite resenting the fact that I'm forced to take a couple of classes focused around service and bible study, I am embracing the opportunity. Because if I am going to debate the religion, I should at least educate myself about it first. And I learned amazing things in my Intro to New Testament class. Amazing outlooks on life that even as an Agnostic I could appreciate. During the school year I volunteer four days a week in an after school program that helps the children of low income families with home work, an after school meal, and even mentor ship. And that program is built around the concept of Jesus Christ. I remember the last day of it last semester we had an ice cream social, and we had music playing. And the song "Our god is an awesome god" came on. And all the children started singing it...it was such a surreal moment. Of course I didn't sing along, but yet I was in awe of how beautiful it was. Even as someone who does not believe in the religion, there are just things that you can really appreciate about the idea.

It's not "hard" for me to experience any of that stuff. If you are an open minded person, instead of being disgusted or offended or even just confused...learn to appreciate it. You aren't smarter because you look to science. Are you right in the end? Quite very possibly, but if that's true you definitely won't get any reward for it. So just stop and appreciate the beauty of it. Respect other people's beliefs.

Another person posted earlier about how one positive thing about faith is that it drives people to do good deeds. I will say one of the biggest problems I have is, people are doing these good things as if there are chores for their God. Like, this is what god wants me to do so I am going to do it. It should be, this is the right thing to do so I am going to do it. That is one thing that angers me, when people only do good things because god wants them to do good things. Another thing problem I have is that some of the people in these faiths are some of the most hypocritical. Their religion says God is the only one who judges, but yet they are the most critical of thinks such as homosexuality. Lastly, organizations such as the Ku Klux Klan or the West Borough Baptist Church, who use God as their reasoning. They say that God is the one who wants them to do and say the things they do, and they are just living it through him. That is absolutely disgusting. Look, if you're going to do and say all that ridiculous and offensive stuff, then at least own up to the fact that you are an awful human being. Nobody can ever see themselves as the bad guy.

But back to the topic at hand, if my time as a student enrolled in a private Christian university surrounded by people who love and believe in God has taught me...it's to keep an open mind. Appreciate those little things in life, the beauties. Because if you're right and all you're just going to end up buried in the ground when you die then why not live your life to the fullest? The fact that we as humans are so diverse in the things we believe is just so amazing in it's on right.

To me it's odd to hear or read an atheist say something about knowing their loved one is going to heaven. I have more than once seen people claim to be atheist but when something arises they ask for prayers, or they say something about their loved one looking down on them from heaven.

I don't know much about atheists but I always thought they didn't believe in prayers or heaven.

In a lesser way it's like people who complain about the cops but then call the cops when they need them and talk about how the cops helped them.

I guess a lot of people are in the moment.

I don't even tell people I'm going to pray for them. I'm not going to. I'm not even an atheist but I don't pray.

I will tell them I'll have my mom add them to her prayer list. I do that and I know she prays at some point during the day.

I tell them I'll send them positive vibes if it's a situation that isn't related to death. If it's a situation related to death I just show empathy.

To me it's odd to hear or read an atheist say something about knowing their loved one is going to heaven. I have more than once seen people claim to be atheist but when something arises they ask for prayers, or they say something about their loved one looking down on them from heaven.

I don't know much about atheists but I always thought they didn't believe in prayers or heaven.

Atheism is the absence of belief that any deities exist. Heaven is a Christian concept of afterlife that almost certainly requires the belief in a deity.

So long story short, the people you've seen make that claim are almost certainly not atheists.

I tell them I'll send them positive vibes if it's a situation that isn't related to death. If it's a situation related to death I just show empathy.

Which is really what you should be doing. Empathizing, and being there for them emotionally, and probably physically (a shoulder to cry on).

I'm a Christian. Why? Because it makes me feel good and secure knowing a greater power (and I believe the greatest) is in control of my life. If I have a bad day, my faith allows me to continue on and know everything will be okay.

If you don't believe, then that's okay. Having a problem with those who do isn't okay though.

Point is, when someone dies, friends and other family members are supposed to comfort the family. Christians find comfort in "It's okay, you'll see them one day in Heaven" or something like that. What's wrong with that, and why do you have a problem with it?

I'm a Christian. Why? Because it makes me feel good and secure knowing a greater power (and I believe the greatest) is in control of my life. If I have a bad day, my faith allows me to continue on and know everything will be okay.

Some people would call that denial, delusion and wishful thinking. Which is fine, you're allowed to believe whatever makes you happy.

If you don't believe, then that's okay. Having a problem with those who do isn't okay though.

Do you really believe that Christians don't have a problem with atheists? Can't say I've ever had an atheist knock on my door trying to sell their ideology.

Point is, when someone dies, friends and other family members are supposed to comfort the family. Christians find comfort in "It's okay, you'll see them one day in Heaven" or something like that. What's wrong with that, and why do you have a problem with it?

It isn't comforting to an atheist, at all. Firstly because we don't believe it. Secondly, it's insulting, it's directly contradicting and challenging what we believe. The last thing you want when someone has died is another person deciding that's the right time to challenge your beliefs.

Do you really believe that Christians don't have a problem with atheists? Can't say I've ever had an atheist knock on my door trying to sell their ideology.

You call it "having a problem with". I call it caring for others and wanting them to have security.

It isn't comforting to an atheist, at all. Firstly because we don't believe it. Secondly, it's insulting, it's directly contradicting and challenging what we believe. The last thing you want when someone has died is another person deciding that's the right time to challenge your beliefs.

Who said it was comforting to an atheist? Who said you have to believe it?

Some people would call that denial, delusion and wishful thinking. Which is fine, you're allowed to believe whatever makes you happy.

Okay firstly when someone dies, it's not all about you. It's about the family of the person that died, and giving comfort to those in need. If a few words can make them feel better for even a second, and maybe make a difference even for a minute, then I'm fine with it. If you wish to sit there and say nothing that is up to you. I myself prefer to offer whatever I can.

I couldn't care less whether your Christian, Catholic, Anglican, Jehovah Witness or none of the above, nor does anyone else. Your religious beliefs are your own. Christians don't have a problem with Atheists at all, and why you think they do is ridiculous. They probably don't give you a second thought.

You say you don't want anyone challenging your beliefs, then who are you to challenge someone else's.

Okay firstly when someone dies, it's not all about you. It's about the family of the person that died, and giving comfort to those in need. If a few words can make them feel better for even a second, and maybe make a difference even for a minute, then I'm fine with it. If you wish to sit there and say nothing that is up to you. I myself prefer to offer whatever I can.

I couldn't care less whether your Christian, Catholic, Anglican, Jehovah Witness or none of the above, nor does anyone else. Your religious beliefs are your own. Christians don't have a problem with Atheists at all, and why you think they do is ridiculous. They probably don't give you a second thought.

You say you don't want anyone challenging your beliefs, then who are you to challenge someone else's.

You speak for all of them? If not, then choose your words more carefully. What you mean to say is I have no problem with atheists. A lot of Christians actually do have a problem with them/us, as evidenced as simply by the fact that recent Gallup poll data indicates 42% of the Nation would note vote for an atheist candidate for President.

That's an estimated 42% of the U.S. population, of which 83% associate with some form of Christianity. The population of the U.S. is estimated to be 318.9 million. Do the math. That's a lot of believers, mostly Christian, refusing to vote for an otherwise qualified candidate based entirely on their being an atheist.

And yes, it's based entirely on their being an atheist. The question asked them was, verbatim — “Between now and the 2016 political conventions, there will be discussion about the qualifications of presidential candidates--their education, age, religion, race, and so on. If your party nominated a generally well-qualified person for president who happened to be an atheist, would you vote for that person?”

So clearly there's an issue with atheism and atheists.

That said, I do agree with your take on this thread. I said something similar earlier. Frankly, a funeral, or following the death of a loved one or a friends' love one is not the place to be digging in to go to battle over philosophies. It's a place to mourn together, to find common ground despite your differences, in remembering your friend or family fondly. Helping one another to grieve, regardless of your beliefs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back