Whenever someone dies....

Yes I will correct myself. I have no problem with Atheists. Even though I myself haven't been to church in well, just about 20 years, I do believe that there is a God. I also believe that you don't have to attend church on a weekly basis in order to believe that.

There are two things I have learned never to argue, politics and religion. Both are a very personal choice, and they should be made by the person themselves.

But I'm glad we agree on something like helping others deal with grief. That is the one time that everyone should put aside their personal feelings in order to help a another human being.

Two things I've learned are the most important things to argue about are politics and religion. They craft the world we live in. If you don't want to participate because you don't like making others feel uncomfortable, or it makes you feel uncomfortable, that's fine, but the way I see it, there are no two more important issues toward shaping the environment we inhabit than those two topics.

Which is why if anyone meets someone new or is on a date or whatever, never talk about the two. It just starts an argument and with the way a lot of people are, causes a little bit of tension too. If you're simply teaching one about your religion then it's a little different like when I tell people how Ramadan works. But if you're talking about which one of you is right and which of you is wrong, big no no.

In response to the main question in the opening post, I think religion will always be around, just like atheism. While people will always say there's no God due to a lack of evidence, others will always think that there's no way we could be where we're at simply by science and that there's a lot more to life.

You speak for all of them? If not, then choose your words more carefully. What you mean to say is I have no problem with atheists. A lot of Christians actually do have a problem with them/us, as evidenced as simply by the fact that recent Gallup poll data indicates 42% of the Nation would note vote for an atheist candidate for President.

That's an estimated 42% of the U.S. population, of which 83% associate with some form of Christianity. The population of the U.S. is estimated to be 318.9 million. Do the math. That's a lot of believers, mostly Christian, refusing to vote for an otherwise qualified candidate based entirely on their being an atheist.

And yes, it's based entirely on their being an atheist. The question asked them was, verbatim — “Between now and the 2016 political conventions, there will be discussion about the qualifications of presidential candidates--their education, age, religion, race, and so on. If your party nominated a generally well-qualified person for president who happened to be an atheist, would you vote for that person?”

So clearly there's an issue with atheism and atheists.

That said, I do agree with your take on this thread. I said something similar earlier. Frankly, a funeral, or following the death of a loved one or a friends' love one is not the place to be digging in to go to battle over philosophies. It's a place to mourn together, to find common ground despite your differences, in remembering your friend or family fondly. Helping one another to grieve, regardless of your beliefs.

Atheists have different political views than Christians. That's the main reason why most Christians wouldn't vote for an Atheist president.

Yes I will correct myself. I have no problem with Atheists. Even though I myself haven't been to church in well, just about 20 years, I do believe that there is a God. I also believe that you don't have to attend church on a weekly basis in order to believe that.

Satan believed there was a God. Do you think he was a Christian?

Atheists have different political views than Christians. That's the main reason why most Christians wouldn't vote for an Atheist president.

So you speak for all atheists and all Christians as well?

I'm curious, considering I'm an atheist... what political views do I have, that you apparently know by matter of knowing I'm an atheist?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back