What's next for Carwin and Lesnar?

Dressler

Occasional Pre-Show
Last night at UFC 116 we saw Shane Carwin dominate, like really dominate, like if you didn't see the fight you don't understand how badly Shane Carwin wrecked Brock Lesnar in the first round, a normal man would of either been knocked out or tapped out due to punches, but not Lesnar, that guy is the toughest Son of a Bitch on the planet, and he proved it last night when he escaped the first round against Shane Carwin, who threw way to many punches without conserving energy which led to Lesnar making him tap in the second round.

Now my question is simple, were do they go from here? Who gets the next title shot against Brock and who does Shane Carwin fight next?

For Brock, I think Cain Velasquez is next in line, he is 6-0 in the UFC and 8-0 overall in his MMA Career, he just came off an impressive knockout win vs Big Nog, and I think a Velasquez vs Lesnar Championship fight is what the UFC will go for.

As for Shane Carwin, I could see a fight being made between him and Junior Dos Santos, if Dos Santos wins he gets a Title Shot, if not then what do you do with Shane Carwin? Another title fight perhaps? Who knows, but that is the fight I'd like to see.

So yeah, there are my thoughts (and hopes), how about you, who does Lesnar face next and who does Carwin face next?

Lesnar... simple, Cain Velasquez. The UFC hasn't matched up Cain with an opponent since his win against Big Nog, and it was solely because he was going to fight the winner of Lesnar/Carwin. And now that Lesnar won, Cain Velasquez is waiting for him. Hopefully the fight gets set-up in November/December, rather than waiting until 2011.

As far as Carwin... if it were me, I'd set-up a rematch between him and Frank Mir. But that's kind of me speaking as a Frank Mir fan, since I would love to see Mir avenge that loss. However, I think the most likely scenario is Carwin vs. Roy Nelson. Big Country has a fight against JDS next month, and if he wins... he'll need one more big win to get a title shot, and Carwin would be the perfect opponent for that. And if Nelson loses to JDS, then you just match up Nelson and Carwin so one of them can bounce back from their loss. UFC makes matches like that all the time.

We already know Brock's outcome..

Carwin faces the loser of JDS/Roy Nelson. And since the fight is so close, I could easily see it happening soon. And IMO, I see it being Carwin/Nelson.

Well Brock's next opponent is going to be Cain, so that's out of the way.

As for Shane Carwin, There's quite a few opponents in the division for the guy.
I would say the most likely is the loser of Dos Santos/Nelson, but other possible fights with CroCop, rematch with Mir, hell maybe even fights with Rothwell or Pat Barry can come about.

Brocks going to Fight Cain

As for Carwin He should Fight Dos-Santos-Nelson Winner for next shot at the Title but as I see Dos Santos Winning and Dana wanting to protect him to have another new body to throw at Brock I think they throw Carwin another Big Name in Big Nog

This is pretty much a no brainer.

Dana's already said Cain gets the winner. Done deal. Matter of fact, Dana said that if there's no medical setbacks then this fight will take place as early as UFC 119-120. That was posted on Junkie today.

The winner of JDS and Nelson gets the next title shot and given the fact that Carwin basically had a 10-8 round against the champ, I see him getting another shot at the title relatively soon. I don't see him fighting the loser of JDS/Nelson because that's already a number 1 contender match-up and you're not going to give the loser of that match another number 1 contender match. This isn't Chuck Liddell we're talking about.

As dominant as Carwin looked before gassing, I can't see the brass at Zuffa glossing over him for a rematch with Lesnar. I mean, seriously, think about it, that fight didn't even go two rounds and we're all stoked with it. That's the kind of shit people wanted to see. Albeit, I don't think ANYONE predicted that exact outcome, it was still legit for those two dudes.

That being said...since Velasquez is going to mollywop Lesnar, I see Lesnar and Carwin fighting for the number 1 contenders match after they've given Carwin a complete can for a builder fight. Wouldn't shock me if Carwin gets someone like Kongo or Rothwell.

Dana is already hyping a Nog and Cro Cop fight so I don't see Nog getting Carwin. Plus, Nog is coming off getting knocked out by Velasquez, IMO Nog is beginning to suffer from the same thing that all aging fighters who've taken one too many shots to the head suffer and Carwin isn't going to help his case. I'd say that I'd like to see him and Schaub go at it, but we all know how people within the same fight camps feel about fighting each other. I'm thinking Kongo or Rothwell. The timelines fit and there's nobody else, aside from Nog, that's really worthy of fighting Carwin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back