What would happen if Icon VS Icon did not happen like it did

BOSS Productions

Pre-Show Stalwart
First of sorry about the section thing it really confuses me.
I think this is the right section even though the match took place earlier,I am trying to state a fact that if this match never happened how would the WWE be today so this is right section I hope so.Also I believe this topic was not done before.

There have been many Icon VS Icon matches but when I think of these kind of matches one surpasses them all and this match in my opinion is the greatest match ever and that is Hogan VS Rock.Which took place at the Rogers Center.Yes the title of thread is confusing but I could not think of anything better so anyways I have been hearing this a lot lately, many people have stated that the original plan was to have Austin VS Hogan at WM 18 but neither of them could agree to a finish meaning the both of them wanted to win so they switched Austin for The Rock.So the point of this thread is to ask what if it was Austin VS Hogan at WM 18 would it be as good? Would Austin get cheered or booed like The Rock?Would we see a video of them looking at the crowd in a stare down contest before every WrestleMania? Who would or should win? And Finally how would No Way Out 2003 turn out since the rematch happened there. Well if you are to lazy to answer the previously stated questions answer this most important one How would the current WWE be today because that match pretty much started this whole Giant Face VS Giant Face concept where the more popular one would get cheered and the less popular one would get booed like HHH VS Cena at WM 22 where Cena gets booed and HHH gets cheered.

And this is true Cena did get booed so don't bash me I like John Cena.

You know this is one of those dream match scenarios that I've always wondered about. The Rock vs Hogan was without a doubt one of the most memorable matches in history, and the iconic staredown is one of the moments that will forever endure (like Hogan slamming Andre, Austin in the sharpshooter, screaming with his face just dripping blood and Foley being thrown off of the cell by the Undertaker.) But with all of that said, I will go on record as saying Austin vs Hogan could have easily been just as iconic. The Rock is one of the biggest stars in history but will anyone honestly doubt that Austin was not equally as big, if not bigger. On the question if the fans would cheer one and boo the other i'd say that wouldn't change. People were always going to cheer louder for Hogan in that match no matter who the opponent was. And finally with the whole "this began the Giant Face vs Giant Face" concept, this match would have left the same lasting effect.

So basically in my own opinion I think the only things that would have changed if it were Austin vs Hogan instead of Rock vs Hogan, would be the build up to the actual match and how the match actually played out because of Austin's different wrestling style. Hogan would still have lost, the NWO would still have attacked Hogan, Austin would have made the save out of respect for the legend and there would still have been a rematch at No Way Out 2003.

You know this is one of those dream match scenarios that I've always wondered about. The Rock vs Hogan was without a doubt one of the most memorable matches in history, and the iconic staredown is one of the moments that will forever endure (like Hogan slamming Andre, Austin in the sharpshooter, screaming with his face just dripping blood and Foley being thrown off of the cell by the Undertaker.) But with all of that said, I will go on record as saying Austin vs Hogan could have easily been just as iconic. The Rock is one of the biggest stars in history but will anyone honestly doubt that Austin was not equally as big, if not bigger. On the question if the fans would cheer one and boo the other i'd say that wouldn't change. People were always going to cheer louder for Hogan in that match no matter who the opponent was. And finally with the whole "this began the Giant Face vs Giant Face" concept, this match would have left the same lasting effect.

So basically in my own opinion I think the only things that would have changed if it were Austin vs Hogan instead of Rock vs Hogan, would be the build up to the actual match and how the match actually played out because of Austin's different wrestling style. Hogan would still have lost, the NWO would still have attacked Hogan, Austin would have made the save out of respect for the legend and there would still have been a rematch at No Way Out 2003.

Ya I defiantly agree with what you are saying but Austin left in 2002 because he hated the way his feuds were going so he walked out but The Rock returned in 2003 after a movie becoming a heel disrespecting Hogan but this happened because he beat Hogan at Mania but if it was Austin that beat him at Mania what would happen to The Rock who returned as a heel.Would The Rock be the Face and Austin The Heel or would Austin have retired before 2003 since he retired at WM 19 but he was absent in 2002 so if he wrestled in 02 would he have retired earlier.
These are the questions that Haunt me.

That match didn't anywhere near start the giant face vs. giant face concept. WM6 anyone? Ultimate Warrior vs. Hulk Hogan. IC Title vs. WWF Title. The Ironman Match between HBK and Bret Hart? There have been waaaaaaaaaaay more giant face/face matchups in history. Those are just the first couple big ones that come to my mind. Bret Hart/British Bulldog for the IC Title at SSlam 92 also gets an honorable mention.

As for what would happen if it didn't happen like it did? Who knows. We'll never know. Sadly, we don't really care either. It's just one of those things that is kinda rediculous to think about it a sense. Not in a negative way. But just... I dunno. It's like saying "what if HBK never existed?" I mean the night of WM 18, if you would have said to me "In two years, we won't see Hogan (not much of a surprise), Rock, or Austin in the ring ever again," I would have called bullshit. I don't know. There's just way too much woulda coulda shoulda in that question. But I don't think we would have seen the epic staredown. At the time, Hogan was part of the nWo. Austin would have gone in and just gone after Hogan from the bell. Austin wasn't a staredown type of guy. He went in there to stomp a mudhole in somebody's ass and walk it dry. To me, the staredown showed us that those two guys were more "entertainers" than "wrestlers." Yes, I know all wrestlers are entertainers. But there's a difference if you really think about the TYPE of superstar those guys are. For example, I see Austin as a wrestler, The Rock as an entertainer, Hogan as an entertainer, Sting as a wrestler, Kurt Angle as a wrestler, Benoit as a wrestler, Cena as an entertainer... etc. There's just a fairly subtle difference in there to me.

I am probably taking the easy way out but things would have definately been different. But it went down like it did. Both guys were already huge over stars at the time. So to substitute Austin in there for the Rock, it woulda been a bit different... but not a lot. It's not like thinking "What if HHH won KOTR like he was supposed to?" THAT would have changed history for sure. We'll never know how... but it's safe to say it would have. Icon vs. Icon... other than going over Hogan, what else would the Rock have had to accomplish in the business? Nothing. And even at that time, Hogan was still only a shadow of his former self. So sure it was a huge epic match, super entertaining, whole nine yards... but as for what would have happened as a result of it being Austin and not The Rock? Nothing significant.

That match didn't anywhere near start the giant face vs. giant face concept. WM6 anyone? Ultimate Warrior vs. Hulk Hogan. IC Title vs. WWF Title. The Ironman Match between HBK and Bret Hart? There have been waaaaaaaaaaay more giant face/face matchups in history. Those are just the first couple big ones that come to my mind. Bret Hart/British Bulldog for the IC Title at SSlam 92 also gets an honorable mention.

As for what would happen if it didn't happen like it did? Who knows. We'll never know. Sadly, we don't really care either. It's just one of those things that is kinda rediculous to think about it a sense. Not in a negative way. But just... I dunno. It's like saying "what if HBK never existed?" I mean the night of WM 18, if you would have said to me "In two years, we won't see Hogan (not much of a surprise), Rock, or Austin in the ring ever again," I would have called bullshit. I don't know. There's just way too much woulda coulda shoulda in that question. But I don't think we would have seen the epic staredown. At the time, Hogan was part of the nWo. Austin would have gone in and just gone after Hogan from the bell. Austin wasn't a staredown type of guy. He went in there to stomp a mudhole in somebody's ass and walk it dry. To me, the staredown showed us that those two guys were more "entertainers" than "wrestlers." Yes, I know all wrestlers are entertainers. But there's a difference if you really think about the TYPE of superstar those guys are. For example, I see Austin as a wrestler, The Rock as an entertainer, Hogan as an entertainer, Sting as a wrestler, Kurt Angle as a wrestler, Benoit as a wrestler, Cena as an entertainer... etc. There's just a fairly subtle difference in there to me.

I am probably taking the easy way out but things would have definately been different. But it went down like it did. Both guys were already huge over stars at the time. So to substitute Austin in there for the Rock, it woulda been a bit different... but not a lot. It's not like thinking "What if HHH won KOTR like he was supposed to?" THAT would have changed history for sure. We'll never know how... but it's safe to say it would have. Icon vs. Icon... other than going over Hogan, what else would the Rock have had to accomplish in the business? Nothing. And even at that time, Hogan was still only a shadow of his former self. So sure it was a huge epic match, super entertaining, whole nine yards... but as for what would have happened as a result of it being Austin and not The Rock? Nothing significant.

Yes I am aware of The Giant Face VS Giant Face concept that happened earlier but most people use Rock VS Hogan as the biggest example because it was clearly shown with the crowds reaction . Well I do agree with you on several points except the one where it would not change history it sure would have Austin left WWE that year due to bad story lines but if Austin was in a feud with Hogan then he would have stayed right ? So there is a possibility that Rock VS Austin 3 would not have happened and Austins retirement would have came earlier.

Yes I am aware of The Giant Face VS Giant Face concept that happened earlier but most people use Rock VS Hogan as the biggest example because it was clearly shown with the crowds reaction . Well I do agree with you on several points except the one where it would not change history it sure would have Austin left WWE that year due to bad story lines but if Austin was in a feud with Hogan then he would have stayed right ? So there is a possibility that Rock VS Austin 3 would not have happened and Austins retirement would have came earlier.

You are definately correct on that. But how many people REALLY remember Austin leaving because of his storylines and such? I mean, I know it happened... many people KNOW it happened. But everything Austin accomplished and everything he did for the WWE prior to that overshadows him being a bitch about his storylines for that small period of time. It's such a small small blip on the Austin career radar. To me... and this is a little extreme... Austin leaving because of his storylines is about as history changing as HHH and Katie Vick. In both cases, the superstars in question made their mark so heavily that one small incident or god awful storyline in which a corpse is humped to death... wouldn't have changed history that greatly. Every event in the business changes history... I just don't believe replacing Rock with Austin at WM18 would have made that much difference in the less than 2 year time frame where they were still around after that (Rock and Austin).

I don't know if this could have been any better than it was. I don't think I have ever been more excited about a match then this one. And no disrespect to Austin but I don't think even he could have done it better.

Although he could surprise me.

Just My Opinion

What a thought.. I mean as big as the Rock was..Austin was bigger. And clearly Hogan was bigger than both Austin AND Rock.

Would it have changed much? I think if it was Hogan v Austin, Austin would have been booed out of the building and Hogan would have been cheered. I also think that if it was Hogan v Austin that Hogan would have and should have won. The reason is because both men were in the twilight of their careers and they knew it...so the match would not have been about 'building the future of the company to carry the ball' because both men were past that. The bigger icon would have won, and Hogan is the bigger icon.

The only reason the Rock went over is because WWE wanted to build him up to carry the company for years into the future.. but because he ran off to the movie business that plan was ruined.

So in saying that, Hogan v Austin with Hogan winning would mean potentially a different ending regarding the NWO! Hogan could have come out in the red and yellow and won the match. Then on raw he comes wearing the red and yellow, and the NWO protest this - kicking off a feud with Hogan and Austin v NWO.

I think there would still have been a stare down. Hogan and Austin are the 2 biggest stars in history...and the match featuring the 2 biggest stars in history does not start off with one jumping the other. You build suspense. Make the people feel and appreciate that they are witnessing a milestone.

I also think if things happened this way that Hogan would have still gone on to fight HHH at Backlash and win, simply because he would have been just as hot, if not hotter off of Wrestlemania. AND he would have held the title for longer than 1 month because of his build up upon his return.

I think the actual buildup to a Hogan v Austin match could have worked no matter how they did it. When you have two stars that are this big..you can put them in a fruit shop and have them throw apples at one another... and it would work.

As far as where the company would be today.. Well pretty much in the same place as it is. But if Hogan v Austin and won, i could see Hogan being the one to drop the title to Lesnar at Summerslam, and possibly winning it back down the track. Or maybe even beating Lesnar at Summerslam and have the WWE run with Hulkamania. OR maybe Summerslam would have been Hogan v Rock, and Lesnars push would have been delayed.

Thats the amazing thing...with ANYTHING.. if you even minutely change the course of history.. there is no telling how everything else would have panned out!!

Austin vs. Hogan would have been amazing. It disappointed me greatly as a fan that it didn't happen at Wrestlemania 22.

It's hard to say what would have happened at WM18, but if Austin got booed, I think he would have made the best of it and acted like his old heel persona, which could have turned the tide and maybe manipulate half the crowd to making it a 50/50 support.

But who knows.

Scott Hall got cheers against Austin,so I'm sure Hogan would've too but
I don't know about Austin getting boos.Maybe just a little bit.

A lot of people probably don't know this but Austin got some BOOS on
November 1,1999 during a Rock promo.

Austin&Rock got equal pops most of the time in 1999 when Rock turned
face after Backlash.

One time though when Austin&Rock tagged vs New Age Outlaws in late 1999 Rock got all the chants.

He was more over than Austin that night but of course the Internet think Austin was always "more over".They don't remember these matches.

And Rock got booed at Wrestlemania 18 because...

1)Nostalgia
2)It was in Canada.Remember when FACE EDGE in 2004 got booed
at Summerslam?

They cheered many heels that night at Summerslam.They always do.

When heel Corporate Rock fought Steve Blackman in 1999 he was SUPER over in Toronto.They love cool heels.

3)Hogan's Wrestlemania homecoming

And don't forget how Rock got CHEERED when he did The People's
Elbow at Wrestlemania 18.The crowd popped when he won.

I have to throw my 2 cents in this topic. We’re talking about 3 of my top 6 Favorite Superstars of all time here. Austin vs. Hogan would have been just as amazing as Rock vs. Hogan. It sure as hell would have been Match of the Year, if not a very very close second. I would have certainly enjoyed this as much as I enjoy what actually took place at WM X8.

With all that said, I think the match at WrestleMania X8 should have been a Triple Threat match, Hulk Hogan vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. The Rock. Austin and Rock basically just came off a War during Invasion. The WWF could have made both tweeners instead of turning Austin Face after the Survivor Series 2001. I could imagine Austin in the ring with Hogan and Rock and the promos would have been great. Imagine promos about who the biggest “Icon” really is. Vince may have been forced to make this the last match of the night. They could even included the Nature Boy in the "Icons" match and make it a Fatal Four Way!!

As for Hall’s WM X8 match, I would have just put together an Outsiders vs. the Brothers of Destruction match together.

It would have been great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back