What was your favorite Ric Flair Fued?

Great question.

I know I am biased. As a Wrestlemania 8 mark, I always go back to Flair / Savage. Such drama there. The work both men did to get the other guy over was masterful, and a lot of young guys could learn LOADS watching them in action.

The Sting feuds carried WCW for a long time. I believe I was one of the four people who actually liked the Starade deal with "The Black Scorpion," which ended up being Flair in a mask.

I don't see how you get past those two feuds, but I green repped drewpost for bringing up Terry Funk. The matches and wars these two had are vastly underrated.

In the end, give me Flair / Savage for masterful psychology and realism, followed by Flair / Sting due to longevity and how it was predicated on respect.

I started watching wrestling in the late 80's, and I am going to have to say Flair's biggest feud or enemy was Sting (the same goes for sting)

I'd agree Sting's best feud is a a choice between either Flair or Big Van Vader, but I don't see how this was Flair's best feud. At the time, Sting was a decent worker, but nowhere near his prime. His promos were still shaky, and though this feud made Sting, you have to see that this was really an experimental run on Sting. Simply put, WCW had no one else at the time that could make the feud work with Ric Flair. NWA had plenty of men who could've gone after Harley Race, but Flair was chosen, not by default, but because he was the best. Much should be said for that alone.

which I find very funny for the fact that Sting is now siding with Flair in TNA (I bet we all know now this one is going to end). I know I will catch some heat for this, but in the past 20 years hasn't there been a longer, more heated rivarly then these two. (and NO............ HBK-Hitman is not even close)

Fixed.

And yes, this we'd agree on. This feud was always entertaining, whenever WCW put these men together. Hell, I'd wager that their 1995 feud was even better than anything from 1989-1990. However, there's kind of a problem between Ric and Sting; there has never been a clear cut winner. Flair, even after losing to Sting, continued to get the best of the Stinger on a regular basis. See; his heel turn in 1995. Or even convincing Sting to turn to the Horsemen in 1989-1990. Hell, even after that great win at the Great American Bash in 1990, guess who Sting wound up doing the job to? That's right, Ric Flair.

My point being, Sting-Flair never had a conclusive "winner". And all wrestling feuds are meant to have someone come out on top in the end. That's what was so great about Race-Flair. We all knew, in the end, Flair had beaten Race. There was conclusion, and it was a fantastic conclusion. Sting-Flair, meanwhile, has been dragged out so long, it's really lost much of its luster.

Great question.

Yes, and only one othe rperson thought to answer with the correct answer, in Harley Race. Sigh...

I know I am biased.

As am I. I wouldn't expect anything less, we're all fans. We have our personal favorites.

As a Wrestlemania 8 mark, I always go back to Flair / Savage. Such drama there. The work both men did to get the other guy over was masterful, and a lot of young guys could learn LOADS watching them in action.

That may have been a great one match blow-off, but it's kind of the same issue as HBK-Undertaker last year; it wasn't a real feud, as it only worked to the build up of one match, and then kinda simmered down.

Now, are we including Flair-Savage work from 1995-1996 in WCW? Because then, you'd have a valid point. But as it currently stands, and I stand by it, Savage-Flair in the WWE just wasn't a feud.

The Sting feuds carried WCW for a long time. I believe I was one of the four people who actually liked the Starade deal with "The Black Scorpion," which ended up being Flair in a mask.

I've already addressed this in the earlier post I've made.

I don't see how you get past those two feuds, but I green repped drewpost for bringing up Terry Funk. The matches and wars these two had are vastly underrated.

Indeed, a great feud. Just not as great as Race-Flair.

In the end, give me Flair / Savage for masterful psychology and realism, followed by Flair / Sting due to longevity and how it was predicated on respect.

Realism? How much more real can it get than Harley Race and Ric Flair? That, my boy, is true realism. Just stiff potatoes all day, and just as good in the psychology department. As for Sting/Flair, I wouldn't say it was respect. Flair countlessly got the better of Sting, by playing off the fact that Sting has to be the dumbest face to ever be in Professional Wrestling, and for falling so many times into Flair's traps. Sting was a moron, and Flair rook advantage so mant times.

No a rivalry built off respect? That, my friend, was Race-Flair

I'd have to say my favorite would have to be the feud with Shane Douglas for the simple fact that they really hated each other.

I go WAY back, and you left off some other greats he feuded with, such as Wahoo McDaniels, Blackjack Mulligan, Terry Funk and Tully Blanchard (before he joined the Horsemen). Flair's ability to rip the mike made any feud he participated in worth watching, whether he was a face or a heel. I really can't say which one was my favorite, which is a testament to his skills.

My top 3 Ric Flair Feuds:

1) w/Greg Valentine vs. The Andersons. This really showed Flair being the Ric Flair we were soon to discover. Also this was one of his1st major championship

2) vs. Rick Steamboat (early 80s). While the better overall series of matches by far were the classic bouts he had in 1989, the matches he had with Steamboat over the U.S. & World Titles were some of the greatest matches that any region has ever seen. Too bad they didn't have the national exposure or else Steamboat doesn't go to the WWF in late 1984.

3) vs. Dusty Rhodes. While Star Dust isn't one of my all-time favorites, the man was every bit as opposite as Flair was (except on the mic). Flair won his 1st title from Dusty & Dusty won his last title from Dusty. They headlined so many major cards including two out of the 1st three Starcades as well as the '86 & '87 Bashes and always seemed to be in each other's business at some points in their careers.

Flair has had so many great feuds over the years, which is one of the reasons I forgive him for allowing himself to be pimped out on TNA. *sighs*

Anyhow, my favorite is Flair with the Von Erichs. I grew up watching that and to me it was pure gold. Seeing Ric being interviewed with two girls at his side as he drinks wine dismissing Kerry Von Erich's chances, while in the mean time you see Kerry woring out in the gym to prepare for Ric.

To many wrestling fans here in Texas that know wrestling history, we always put Flair's feuds with the Von Erichs at the top or near the top of our lists. There's still old timers here that would "boo" Ric when WWE and WCW would come to Dallas because of the heat he and the Von Erichs worked. o me that was pure magic, and unfortunately we dont get that anymore with todays wrestling company choices... that's a shame, and another topic for another time.

I would say Flair had his best matches with Dusty Rhodes, Harley Race, Terry Funk, Ricky Steamboat, Sting, and Randy Savage. But I'm only 25 years old, and most of those matches I have had to watch on VHS or youtube. I wasn't around to watch the actual feuds. So I have to go with one that I was actually able to watch as it happened.

Randy Savage vs. Ric Flair: This feud was personal, which is the kind of feud I really like. Today, I think we see far too many feuds that are competition-based...even though it's not a real competition. Starting after the Royal Rumbe in 1992, Flair starting hitting below the belt. He claimed to have slept with Elizabeth, and said he had evidence to prove it. This enraged Savage, and the two feuded leading up to Wrestlemania 8. At Mania 8, they had a classic match. Flair drew so much heat from the crowd that it didn't matter to fans that Savage had to pull the tights to get the pin.

When Savage went to WCW, it didn't take long before he and Flair were at it again. They had several matches in 1995 and 1996, and the WHC traded back and forth between the two. Even Miss Elizabeth (Savage's ex-wife), turned on him to join Flair. It was WCW's best feud of that time, IMO.

I think the Randy Savage/Ric Flair rivalry is one of the most underrated of all time. It was always really personal between the two, and they put on some GREAT matches.

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot Arn Anderson. Those two had some amazing matches against one another, and a lot of that had to do with how personal it was when they actually met up, face-to-face.

Ric Flair vs Sting is perhaps one of the best feuds in pro wrestling history. Their feud dated back to late 80s, and then reached its height when Flair kicked Sting out of the Horsemen. Ric Flair vs Ricky Steamboat was also a great feud. They have some of the best matches I have ever seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back