What makes you happiest in life?

LSN80

King Of The Ring
Ok, so a little lighter of a subject, with one caveat: It can't be a signifigant other. No wives, husbands, boyfriends, girlfriends, children, best friends, or parents. That would be too easy. If I allowed this, I woulld go with my wife, gush about her, and this would be simple. Nope let's look at this from a different perspective. Most, if not all of us, would pick a person. Too easy kids.

I'm fortunate enough that I can say it's my job. Specifically, I'm a psychotherapist, one who works with marriages and families. Ever since my delusional dream of being a professional baskteball player died at 19(I'm 6'1, white, and not very fast, nuff said:shrug:), I knew what I wanted to do. Maybe not specifically work with marriages and families, but I knew I wanted to be a therapist. My friends came to me for advice. A lot. I had no formal training, and here I am, a senior in high school, a freshman in college, and friends are looking to me, desperate for answers and such. More often then not, I'm sure that I failed. But people kept coming back, so I kept providing them with advice. Before I realized it, I was getting my college and post-graduate degrees in psychology, Marriage and Family Therapy, and Clinical Psychology. It was in school(so Im cheating a little :)) that I met my wife. Double bonus.

I've learned how to listen. I've learned how to ask people questions that allow them to come to their own conclusions about things. I used to feel such a burden giving advice to people, especially my friends, who still come to me. But rather then doing so, much of the time, I ask questions that allow them to come to their own conclusions. Is it always a success? Heck no. But I have a business partner with whom I work, and the successes have been more then the failures, I'm glad to say. Seeing people work out what they once thought was impossible for themselves because I asked them some questions(ok, perhaps I'm oversimplifying, but still) and they figured out what worked for them, and to get paid for it, well, it's more then I could have ever hoped for. I have a great partner, two other co-workers who are amazing, and I've picked, for the most part, a select group of clientele(couples and families) that I love to work with. There's little else I could ask for to fill my day.

Except time with my wife, of course. ;)

How about you? What do you enjoy more then anything else in your life?

Well since we cannot say significant others.... What about pets? I love spending time with my two papillon puppies Lancelot and Sheamus. They keep us entertained and there is never a dull moment thanks to them. I could have had a really bad day, but then they make it better either by doing something silly to make me laugh or coming up to me acting sweet. When I come home from work or anytime I mention the words "outside" or "walk" they instantly get extremely hyper and I love seeing that reaction, it's adorable. Playing with them, going for walks in the park or around the apartment complex, and even just relaxing on the couch watching WWE while they lay on my lap are all among my favorite things to do.

If we cannot say anything related to pets either, then I'd probably say taking long walks to sort out my mind. This has been one of my favorite past times ever since my first year of college back in 2005. It's a great way to just get away from everything or everyone and think about anything that is bothering me or any decisions I need to make. If I ever find myself faced with any tough decisions or a ridiculous amount of stress, one of the best ways to deal with it for me is a long walk. It gets me out of the house (and the pups too, I often bring them) for some fresh air and I usually feel much better by the time I have made it around the whole complex (or the park, if I went there) and head home. Back in school I'd walk the campus and take the longer scenic route, it would take about an hour and I loved it. I had so much on my mind on a daily basis back then and today's equivalent of walking around the apartment buildings I live in is one of the things that makes me happiest in life. I just get a great deal of enjoyment out of it.

Interesting topic and one that genuinely gave me a hard time when thinking about the answer to it however I think I have that answer and in some ways it surprise me.

I think the thing that makes me the happiest in life is the scenery around me. I've had the pleasure ever since I was a child of traveling albeit a lot of times physically moving to all sorts of neat places and each place I visit has its own natural beauty and differences and I have come to realize that it's what's around me that I tend to care for the most.

I'm one of those people who notice almost every little detail about something and so recently having been living in Calgary I remember driving to school and every morning seeing those Rocky Mountains and just noticing how each day they were always there in their beauty making my morning ever so slightly better. 12 years ago I lived in Brussels Belgium and the architecture and beauty of the buildings is something I'll never forget loving.

Also there's the simple things. My family loves Applebee's it's an odd fact. I've been to two different Applebee's and each one has its small differences and I quite love it. Or even more precise looking up at my ceiling and noticing the lines and textures. I could spend hours doing this as oddly it makes me happy.

So I guess for me it's the scenery around me.

Although my family would win if it was an option.

Well I am a Chef for a living, and cooking for large amounts of ungrateful people does not make me happy, but the answer is food. Food in it's simplest form. I love to grow things, and then pick those things and make something delicious with them. It started in my teens when we would get any old steak and see who could come up with the best marinade, and we of course would eat the steaks watching wrestling. The way I cook is just a few ingredients, and make them taste fantastic. Taking care of the plants or catching a fish to cook only makes the experience more fulfilling to me. The process of making a fantastic dish at home calms me and makes even the worst day better for me. It is hard to transfer that happiness into my work because it is just so different having to please a bunch of people that don't want to be happy, but give me five ingredients in my kitchen at home, and I am happy as can be.

Finding a new gym.

I was with Bally's Total Fitness for YEARS, but LA Fitness started to take over. The Bally's I went to went out of business, and I did try this new LA Fitness that was built near my house for a while, but I couldn't stand it. Way, way too fucking crowded all the time. I tried going in the morning, the afternoon, at night (chaotic is the best word to use for describing this LA Fitness at night), it didn't matter. Lines for treadmills, the bikes, and the weights? Forget it.

So I tried 24Hr. Fitness for a little while. Yeah, that was almost worse. Going on a weeknight was like a nightmare. Again, lines for treadmills and the other stuff, bathrooms were always crowded, and just moving around inside the place was a chore.

After a while, I found this little 24/7 gym. Quiet, easy to move around, and no crowds, ever. And the best part is the membership is real cheap.

Well seeing as how we are throwing out the obvious answers to the question, that being family and friends, and are looking at more trivial aspecs of life, I would have to put the recent success of my beloved Boston Bruins up on the list. Seeing them capture the Stanley Cup in 2011 after an eternity of waiting was pretty special, and seeing them right on the doorstep again this year was pretty sweet as well, even though they came up slightly short this time around. This year was still pretty great even though they fell slightly short. There were certain aspects of this playoff run which I was quite thrilled about, and I truly dig some of the results of their playoff success this season ;)

A night out with friends & my one and only. We all seem to work such crazy hours that it's often tough to find time to get together, which is makes it all the more special when we do.

A fine meal, a few bottles of good wine and great company with people you know and love gives us all something nice to look forward to. Lots of laughs, lots of terrific memories over the years.

One word; music.

Feeling down? Pop on one of your favourite tunes, dance & sing along like nobody is watching you, oblivious to the world. Lose yourself in that song, anything to improve the mood you're in. I know that's what I do. It doesn't necessarily have to be a happy song, I've cheered up to The Black Parade before, it works.

Or maybe, to make myself happier, I sit down for a few hours & just play away at my guitar, singing some songs, writing something terrible, or learning an old classic. It's music that makes me happy, whether I'm in my room, or performing on a stage with my friends. Music makes me happy.

Well since spending time with gf and daughter are out of the discussion (and the obvious answer) I would have to go with playing, mixing and producing my own music. I love doing it, even when there are some very frustrating problems to solve but to me its part of the fun.

I didn't know jack in October but through a lot of hard work I can definitely see massive improvements which makes me very happy especially with how busy my life has been in the last year. I like computers and doing that type of stuff (as long as I'm challenged that is) I relish any chance I get to sit down and make some tunes. It relaxes me, it constantly presents new challenges and it satisifies my creativity. Outside of watching a few shows its how I spend all my free time, I haven't played videogames in what feels like forever and I don't miss it one bit.

Hopefully I can get good enough to do it for a living. I know I'm willing to put in the work and I've improved enough to get my first paying gig which is great since the band just heard me and the guy I work with jamming one day and offered us to open for them. Making a good living on it is next to impossible but with a lot of practice and luck you never know, if not I will still do it because I love it and I don't see that changing.

Sex. Actually getting and receiving pleasure. I love to blow my wad. It's like it is some kind of major accomplishment for me. I know this sounds pathetic but I'm rarely let down and it generally leads to my next favorite activity which is sleep.

I don't know, maybe my development was shut down at 14 but I still enjoy those activities as much as anything else. Maybe I'm a hedonistic animal. People bore and disappoint me regularly. My career is just a vehicle for some superficial satisfaction and money (which is the ultimate superficial satisfaction).

Throw a few drinks, some gambling, and chicken wings in with some fucking and a deep long sleep and I'm in heaven.

Actually take away the chicken wings, they can ruin the sex and the sleep but they may lead to another happy event, TAKING A SPECTACULAR DUMP.

I really enjoy smoking pot. I feel like I'm in constant motion for 90% of my day but late at night when the burdens in my life (family) are incapacitated, I get to sit down and smoke a bowl, ensuring that I am going to stay seated for a while. That's when I get to dick around on the internet and actually catch up on whatever TV shows I want.

Sex. Actually getting and receiving pleasure. I love to blow my wad. It's like it is some kind of major accomplishment for me. I know this sounds pathetic but I'm rarely let down and it generally leads to my next favorite activity which is sleep.

I don't know, maybe my development was shut down at 14 but I still enjoy those activities as much as anything else. Maybe I'm a hedonistic animal. People bore and disappoint me regularly. My career is just a vehicle for some superficial satisfaction and money (which is the ultimate superficial satisfaction).

Throw a few drinks, some gambling, and chicken wings in with some fucking and a deep long sleep and I'm in heaven.

Actually take away the chicken wings, they can ruin the sex and the sleep but they may lead to another happy event, TAKING A SPECTACULAR DUMP.

Almost nothing beats that 10-15 seconds of pure orgasmic nirvana. I also like the aftereffects of sex (sex proper, that is; although oral sex is pretty fucking sweet, its payoff is nowhere near as good as the one from sex proper). I am a much more tranquil and sedate person afterward (this is probably why all of the women I've had sex with have put out before taking me to something that I'll otherwise find insufferable).

For me, the only thing that ties with sex is that moment when you're finally able to grasp a difficult subject or concept (e.g., Sartre's Being and Nothingness or particle physics). Since this is akin to the payoff from sex proper, I'll call it the mind orgasm.

A lot of the answers already given make me much happier than what I'm about to say, so I'll add something simple that brings me a fair amount of joy: peace and quiet.

I'm an easy-going, mild-mannered guy who is as far from a grinch as they come. However, I always sympathized with Dr. Seuss' Grinch character on one point: "all the noise, noise, noise!" We just live in a very noisy world, and any respite I can get from it is welcome. Be it a bike ride or walk in the park among nothing but chirping birds or an afternoon in my living room with all of the electronics off reading a book, peace and quiet makes me very happy when I'm tired of all the clamor.

Playing football/ soccer dependent on your geography. I'm fast approaching 40 but still love playing the game and I play it as often as I can (currently 4 times a week). While I am a sporting guy who calls things as I see them whether beneficial or detrimental to my team, I am also insanely competitive and I give my all to ensure my team does as well as possible.

I count football as a blessing as exercising for the sake of exercising bores the pants of me, whereas exercise with an actual purpose (beyond just "being fit") I love.

Excluding what everyone has already mentioned, my Championship Belts makes me the happiest in life. Looking at those Belts makes me think of 3 different periods of time in my life.

10 years old to 20 years old makes me think of when I really enjoyed Professional Sports Wrestling Entertainment. I saw Hulk Hogan when I was a kid and Hollywood Hogan when I was a teenager, great timing. This is when the dream of owning one popped into my head.

20 years old to 30 years old makes me think of how far I have come as far as being and adult and making money. I went from $5 an hour for 20 hours a week, to being able to “waste” a few bucks on “leather” and “gold”.

30 years old to now (half way to 40) makes me think of my Son’s point of view. He loves them as much as I love them and the look on his face when he sees we have a new Belt or the look that he makes when he parades around the house with them on his shoulders and waist is priceless.

Excluding people as a response to this topic, I have to say my Belts are what makes me happiest in life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back