What is a jobber?

Uncle

Occasional Pre-Show
In my last post I asked who was the best jobber in history. That question sparked a debate on what exactly makes a wrestler a jobber?? Alot of you guys will say the shear numbers of losses. However It takes a certain kinda strength to loose that many matches and stay relevant. Not to mention the ability to sell injury. There is a fine line between jobber and that guy that got squashed.. Id like to know you guys opinion on the matter..

Jobber positions are given to the wrestlers with either the least amount of wrestling experience or the least amount of credibility. They are meant to put the opposing wrestler over and/or allow him to showcase himself. As a jobber, your wrestling experience tends to be pretty basic (tho some may be better): you don't really do much other than take falls and let yourself get beat up. You may start off getting in some blows but you never really go on the offense. Your matches are quick and you always lose. This is a jobber.

I feel like it's that guy who is out there to take punishment and make whoever they're wrestling look good. They don't pick up wins. They don't win titles. They're simply there to let whoever they're wrestling to showcase their ability. They get in minimal offense. I think of watching WWF Superstars in the '90s and watching Razor Ramon bully those guys around. You might seem them week after week but they never get a push. The guys Ryback wrestled when he came in were jobbers in my mind. With the exception of what we saw with Ryback I feel like the true jobber is dead in mainstream wrestling.

A jobber is one of the most under-appreciated wrestlers in history. They very often have the charisma of dry wall but, unlike what was said above, the jobbers are extremely talented. It's a jobbers job to showcase the wrestler beating the shit out of them and the best ones are the guys that make the other guy look just amazing. As I said in the other thread, look at Sid's first year in wrestling. He looked like the next big thing, his bumps looked brutal and he seemed like he was going to be as big as Hogan. When he moved on to competitive matches, he never even came close to living up to that early potential.

I miss the jobbers.

A jobber is someone who's main purpose is to lose and make his opponent look good in the process. I think.

Jobber's aren't that common in modern day wrestling; however, there is still room for them. "Jobber" is a harsh term but if one is a jobber then they still have a lot to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back