What if.....Vince McMahon hadn't become a wrestling promoter?

d_henderson1810

Mid-Card Championship Winner
I have decided to start a weekly series of threads, each asking the question- What If?

Each week I will ask a question about a hypothetical scenario, often about what if this wrestling event hadn't happened, or if the opposite to what occurred had occurred?

You can then post, telling me what you believe would have been the result of such a scenario occuring. If things had gone a particular way, how do you think it would have played out?

This is just based on your opinion, and there are no right or wrong answers, since this is hypothetical.

It is proposing a "Sliding Doors" moment. If an event hadn't occurred, what would have the chain reaction have been?

This week:- "What if.....Vince McMahon hadn't become a wrestling promoter?"

What if Vince hadn't got into wrestling? Where would it be today? What would Vince had done as a job instead? Would wrestling have died with McMahon? The WWF/E probably wouldn't exist, so who would be the prominent company, or would wrestling still be regional?

So, what do you think? I look forward to what you think would happen if "Vince McMahon had never been a wrestling promoter"?

The WWWF would still exist, back in the 70's and such before Vince made the WWF/E, there would still be territories such as the NWA, WWWF, AWA, and all the others. It's hard to say if things would be as massive as they are today or if there would've been a huge thing between the WCW/WWF. Some people are going to argue that none of the promotions would have the brilliance that Vince had. I like to think maybe WCW would've been the huge next promotion. One thing is for sure, if Vince didn't decide to buy the WWWF and make it the WWF while trying to conquer the wrestling world, so much would be different.

for 1 NWA would have died out regardless because promotors like Eddie Graham, Verne Gagne, Vince McMahon Sr, Gorilla Monsoon, Don Owens, etc... wer already breking away from the NWA...which was run like the Mob...(JR has told a story of Working for Leroy McGirk & Watts where in the mens room at a NWA meeting how NWA were plotting to kill Vince Jr). All the promoters were retired out of touch wrestlers. at the best, wrestling would've stayed regional, at the worst, wouldnt exist because it would've died off for the 2nd time. need to remember, if Vince Jr never obtained Georgia Championship Wrestling, Ted Turner would never welch on the TV deal that led to Vince selling back to Crockett, where Turner bought it and created WCW....No boom period of the 80's, no Monday Night Wars & No Attitude Era and alot of today's wrestlers might be doing something else as they wouldn't be exposed to this business that they fell in love with. I know I may not have been a wrestling fan because Piper slapping Mr T would have never grabbed my attention

Where would Vince McMahon be now? Bankrupt for sure.

Everything that Vinny Mac has tried outside of wrestling has been an abject failure costing hundreds of millions of dollars.

He is a great innovator in terms of selling a product and keeping people interested but his overconfidence in trying to break into other industries that he knows very little about has cost him dearly.

Vince has great insight and common sense so to see him fail time after time is a great surprise. There is no doubt that after inheriting Vince McMahon Sr's and selling the WWF, his money that he would have gone down the tubes.

WCW would be the huge power in wrestling because ted turner wouldve still bought jcp, i dont know if wrestling would be around in the capacity that it is today however, i think it would still be a backwoods niche product, national but i doubt any one company wouldve been international, definetly wouldve been no hogan, austin, rock, hbk no monday night wars, probably not even a monday night show

There would still be wrestling today but it would look very, very different. After all it was VKM who got Ted Turner's blood boiling. If that doesn't happen I don't think TT cares as much and doesn't go gung ho into wrestling.
Where would Vince McMahon be now? Bankrupt for sure.

Everything that Vinny Mac has tried outside of wrestling has been an abject failure costing hundreds of millions of dollars.

He is a great innovator in terms of selling a product and keeping people interested but his overconfidence in trying to break into other industries that he knows very little about has cost him dearly.

Vince has great insight and common sense so to see him fail time after time is a great surprise. There is no doubt that after inheriting Vince McMahon Sr's and selling the WWF, his money that he would have gone down the tubes.

Not really. He tried those other things or gave money to Linda because he had money to burn. If Vince didn't get over like he did in the 80's and 90's he doesn't try any of that stuff. He wouldn't have money to blow so obviously he wouldn't be blowing it.

I think he would have gone into business and been pretty good at it. After all he is a business man. But he would have been a lot more modest about it.

@SinCityBlitz yes ted turner would have still bought wcw, it has been stated on several occasions that he bouthgt wcw because he was a fan of wrestling because wcw tv helped the tbs network grow during its infancy so he saw it as a cornerstone of his network that shouldnt be let go

If you watch the History of Wrestlemania on Netflix, Vince really opens up a lot about the past and especially establishing Wrestlemania in the 80s to outdo his competitors and create an entertainment extravaganza.

If you watch the (Rise and Fall?) WCW video they talk about Ted's interest in wrestling and I'd have to agree that he would've bought it regardless.

I respect Vince tremendously for what he has done for wrestling, I don't believe anyone could have got it to the levels it was/is.

I'm still bitter he bought WCW and ECW. I think we'd have a better product and more of a chance for a "new Vince McMahon" to come along and revolutionize the industry like Vince himself did in the 80s/90s. I think the fans and wrestlers have it the worst because without regions and rival companies, we don't get to see what people are capable of now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back