What if the Macho Man led the nWo?

CM Steel

A REAL American
The New World Order made a huge impact on the world of wrestling in the mid-90's in WCW. With Scott Hall & Kevin Nash being the first two members of the group with their "Outsider's" angle coming over from the WWF. And then at Bash at the Beach in 1996, "the Immortal" Hulk Hogan himself turns heel by joining Hall & Nash forming the New World Order (brother!). And as the months went on others joined the nWo such as the Giant (Big Show) being added in as the fourth member of the group. And then others like the Macho Man Randy Savage (R.I.P.)

Hollywood Hogan at this point was the leader of the nWo faction with Hall & Nash being the two other founders of the group. Eric Bischoff being the on-screen boss villian of the stable. But what was Savage's role in the nWo? I think it should have been Randy Savage who should have been the second to Hogan when he couldn't get the job done as of being a leader in the group. But all around I just think that the Macho Man would have been a better heel leader than the Hulkster. Real Talk!

I believe if Savage would have been the leader of the nWo the nWo would not have been split into two nWo factions. Or atlease Hogan could have been the leader of the nWo Wolfpack and would have been a edger babyface. While Savage is more believable as a heel than Hogan was, Savage could have been put in a position in where he could have beaten Hogan for the WCW championship which never happened during Savage's run. If the Macho Man would have been the leader of the nWo black & white it could have been the highlight of Savage's WCW career. But what do you think?

What if the Macho Man led the nWo?

I think if Savage had been the leader of the nWo it would of flopped alot sooner.

Im not saying Savage wasnt a good heel or would of been better than Hogan, BUT a majority of the nWo's success was based around Hogan BECAUSE of the fact that prior to that, Audiences hadn't seen Hulk as a real heel. He had spent so many years at that point wearing the red and yellow and supporting the Red,White,and Blue American ways. He was the one guy(or the major guy) that fans thought they could firmly believe in as the go-to good guy who could always fix problems. When he came out and revealed himself as a leader in nWo, it made their existence alot more meaningful than it had been up to that point.

Savage on the other hand had been heel and face a few times off and on and it was nothing the fans hadnt really seen before. Had he shown up as the leader I just don't think the impact of nWo would of been as large or as successful for as long as it was, it more than likely would of last HALF the time or less than it did. Just my opinion though

Hogan made it much more dramatic as he was the greatest babyface of the last decade. Even though he was getting booed, he capatilized on the fact he was getting stale and that people got sick of him.

Hogan is a very smart guy to make himself relevant again by inserting himself in the hottest storyline at the time and he made it even bigger.

I don't think Macho would have done bad as the leader but he wouldn't have that much impact either. Hogan was the right choice IMO, although he should have ended his reign as leader after starrcade 97. The greedy cunt that he is.

Mack, digging the thread. Been a long time since I contributed to one of yours, but glad to in this case. Randy Savage would have been an awesome nWo leader. And for a fan like me, I would have gotten into the storyline. Hell, Savage was one of the reasons I tuned into RAW EVERY week despite how down business was in the WWF. During the 90s, prior to the second boom as they sometimes call it, I was a wrestling fan to a fault despite how lackluster many aspects of the product were. Therefore, I would have gladly supported a Macho Man led nWo. Unfortunately, the whole idea of betrayal with Macho Man would not have resonated the way it did with Hogan. Because as others have said, Macho Man already went back and forth with his disposition a few times during his heyday of popularity. And as we also saw mentioned on here and in other posts, Hogan had been so hard to think of as anything other than a good guy. So few remember his heel run in the territory days, and unless you really paid attention to stuff like the Wrestling Observer and Pro Wrestling Illustrated or were someone that was born in the 80s, you'd be hard pressed to ever recall Hogan as a heel character.

I don't think Macho would have done bad as the leader but he wouldn't have that much impact either. Hogan was the right choice IMO, although he should have ended his reign as leader after starrcade 97. The greedy cunt that he is.

Agree, but the last part is very nonconstructive. I hate to make assumptions, but I'm pretty sure you are in the camp of people that think Hogan paid Nick Patrick off to botch that pinfall spot right? Yes, I will admit that Hogan has done much to protect his best interests, but I'm hard pressed to think of there being too many humanitarians in the wrestling business in the first place. I'm pretty sure that you're also going to bring up the creative control card that Hogan used to play and play often. Which again, I will acquiesce and not be in denial about. I'm confident Hogan has stepped in when he's felt it necessary to have creative input on his character. However, on the flip side of that when you look at some of the moves that were in place during Hogan's time there, I sincerely doubt he had control over EVERYTHING. Pardon me for assuming but with your label of "greedy cunt", I'm pretty sure this is going to come back to the whole Hogan creative control thing.

But let's break down some aspects where Hogan's creative control is probably the most overrated and overanalyzed bit of farce that I would put up there with the Stephanie and Macho Man tryst rumors.

1) Goldberg's streak ending. I heard something once that Hogan lost the title to Goldberg with the sole intention to then end the streak down the line. That does have some weight, I won't lie. But as we know Kevin Nash did that instead. And there were plenty of opportunities for them to do another Hogan and Goldberg match, and again with "creative control" Hogan had years to politic himself into another match with Goldberg, but that never happened. And for years afterward Hogan's career didn't suffer. In fact he went on to have other high profile matches with wrestlers the likes of Triple H, Chris Jericho, and The Rock to name just a few upon his WWF return. And I will mention that in the case of Triple H and The Rock he lost matches against them. Also, in his first match with Triple H that he won, he wasn't booked to have this aura of invincibility like he had in years past. All around, Hogan was booked to win by the skin of his teeth and luck. Years later in his matches against Shawn Michaels and Randy Orton people still belly ached about Hogan's ego but then again you can thank WWE for a lot of this occurring. Blaming Hogan and saying this and that is just an easy way out.

2) David Arquette's World Title win, this one right here should say it all. Hogan's creative control clause that the IWC as a whole bitches about, well the all mighty and powerful Hogan creative control card couldn't stop this farce from happening. After all, he is Hulk Hogan if he had the god like power we all think he had at that time, then this move would have been prevented immediately. Hogan was still under contract then, and I'm sure if he was as powerful as they say in a political sense (not to say he didn't have his clout) this would have been vetoed.

3) Vince Russo's World Title win, let's be honest here the whole Russo and Hogan thing was a farce too, and I don't care what they say, I don't buy into it being "real". Everything seemed too convenient for that to be a legitimate occurrence. Anyway, when Russo won the title Hogan was still under contract, if the heat was as bad as they say between the two, and if Hogan really did have that clout, I see this being something else he could have vetoed. But anyway, people will believe practically anything on the internet sad to say.

Bottom line is this, I think the whole idea of Hogan wanting this title or that title or having this spot or that spot is an often overrated and blown out of proportion bit of discussion. Now I'm not say that Hogan doesn't have his ego, but I think as long as Hogan was getting his guaranteed money in his contract and allowed to take the time off he wanted to (considering the guy was already pushing the 20 year mark as a performer when he went to WCW) he's allowed himself the right to get those provisions in his contract. I know in a lot of ways that sounds shitty, but I really do wonder what we would do in that position. Bottom line, Hogan could have done a lot worse of things with his contractual status if his creative control card was as powerful as we are often led to believe. For example, if things like the title meant so much to him how come he just didn't keep it for his whole stint in the company? I think we often forget that WCW was spending money left and right, and that there was more than one ego to contend with, Hogan was far from the only one.

Tying back into the discussion about Macho Man, if there was anything I could be a little dissatisfied with regarding The Hulkster is that he never did lose to Macho Man via pinfall or submission. It was disappointing. However, in a kayfabe sense it was awesome to know that Macho Man did one thing Hogan never could do and that was defeat Sting via pinfall for the WCW World Title. Granted it was shitty to see Hogan just beat Macho Man the day after, but I still liked seeing the fact that Macho Man got that distinction even though it was via dubious means. But at the time Macho Man was still a heel, and that's how the heels are supposed to do business, and Hogan was in the same status when he beat Macho Man that night. If there was any consolation it was that for the majority of their WCW career, Hogan could never beat Macho Man in a fair sense. I'm just disappointed that they didn't do more with Macho Man in that respect.

Anyway, I digress and thank you once more for your contributions Mack, great discussion point. Sorry that I detoured into such a pro-Hogan stance, but sometimes I just gotta call out the nonsense when I see it.

The two had a power struggle which resulted in nWo Wolfpac and then Macho STILL never took a leadership role then again his popularity was eclipsed by Sting joinging and Nash's popularity.

I think Macho should have initially joined nWo and once his issues with Hogan became abundant he should have LEFT nWo and NOT joined Wolfpac.

If you remember Savage left and returned repackaged with MadUSA, Gorgeous George and Miss Macho which was a great point in his career. His gear, promos and gimmick had all gotten better and with 3 women he didn't need much besides an enforcer type who could have been Scotty Riggs at the time and it would have STILL worked! He was OVER without the nWo and they should have pulled that trigger sooner.

Macho Man should have stayed away from nWo and Hogan's shadow because it would have given Hogan another potential feud for the World Title since he didn't want to drop it to Sting or Goldberg and Luger & DDP weren't ready yet

The problem with your theory isn't that Savage isn't a believable leader, but its the shock factor and that's what was needed for the NWO to work...Think about it like this, Savage in the 80's was a heel, then face, then heel again in the early 90's then a face again up into his time to WCW. The reason Hogan and Sting were considered as the leaders of the NWO is simple shock factor. Hogan was a face who cheated like a heel, if you don't believe me watch his DVD, but the fact is Hogan was a heel before WWE and that was it. People who ever watched him once in the AWA or before then wouldn't know that, if you never read any book about Hogan wouldn't have known he was Sterling Golden or that he was managed by Freddie Blassie who was one of the best heel managers in the business. So to have Hogan come out and take out the top faces of WCW was huge in comparison. Sting the reason he was second for choice and may not have ran as long if it had been him, was one Sting was always seen as a follower, he may have been one of the top faces in the company, but he was a heel for a short period when he joined the Horseman, and while short lived that brief period made it seem like Sting would never portray a heel again, so it would have been big on WCW's part to have Sting turn for that sheer reason, but wouldn't have gained as much momentum as it did with Hogan.

That is the problem with Savage. Savage never had to lead, and while he was a big name with Slim Jim and everything. he couldn't gain the same momentum as a Sting or Hogan.

Great idea for a thread, but I just don't think Savage would have had the same impact as Hogan did. Savage was a heel before, and when Hogan turned it was completely unexpected. Part of what made the early NWO so great was the blurred lines of Hall and Nash coming over to WCW. They had people thinking they really were invading from WWF. The other part was the Hogan heel turn. Savage was a better talker sure, but we just wouldn't have had the shock value if he was the third man. I don't think Savage would have been able to carry the group as long as Hogan did, and I think it would have ended much sooner had it gone down like that. Savage is in my top 5 all time, but Hogan was definitely the right choice here.

In my opinion Randy Savage was in the second-tier of top-level main event talent. Meaning he had impact but not the same as a Hogan or Bret Hart. Those two names would've been the only two that would've had the impact of really making the NWO angle take off the way it did.

The argument that Savage was never a "leader" is valid. Think of it, even during his first run as WWF Champion he was part of a TAG TEAM with Hogan and overshadowed. He never had that "run" with the strap where he was "THE man." His WrestleMania title match with Flair was underneath the Sid-Hogan match...even his SummerSlam '92 title match with Warrior was billed underneath the Bret-Bulldog match. Then he subsequently demoted down the card.

Even his defection to WCW didn't carry the impact as Hogan's did or even Luger, Hall and Nash's. My point being is you needed a strong leadership-type personality to lead the NWO and become the "face", if you will, of the new group representing a renegade organization. Savage would have fared well as a "lone wolf" type though. Kind of like DDP's role as a thorn in the NWO's side.

Savage wouldnt have had the same impact. At the time, Hogan turning was almost unbelievable, which in pro wrestlng says a lot. It was easily the single biggest "I cant believe that" moment of the decade, ahead of Flair's debut in the WWE, the initial Scott Hall & Kevin Nash introductions in WCW, rivaled only by The Montreal Screw Job. Hogan turning heel, at a time when older fans were bored of his schtick and didnt like him as much due to his lack of ring skills, when younger fans were gravitating to more complex characters, trading in on the idea his whole persona was a business created hoax, it was brilliant, and completey fooled the audience.

Savage was a big name but he wasnt as established as Hogan, especially as a face. He had switched roles multiple times over the years and much of his gimmick was built on an almost insane like unpredictability, not the kind of guy who cool and calculatingly manipulates the audience and competition. Just as Flair's best appeal here was in seeing him put aside his feuds with arch enemies like Sting to save the company from the invasion, Savage was best as the anti Hogan, along with Flair the only legit main eventers close to Hogan's stature who realistically could oppose him, the only forces strong enough to help Sting lead WCW. When Savage went NWO the whole booking of his character went south fast. That may not have had much to do with him personally but the fact remains the shock & awe factor of The Hogan Heel turn is what kick started the angle into over drive. Savage wouldnt have provided that initial spark, niether would have Flair or even Sting.

I believe if Savage would have been the leader of the nWo the nWo would not have been split into two nWo factions.

It's fun to speculate on this, but impossible to say because we like to presume that logical decisions were being made by WCW. To their credit, they had an amazing idea (bringing in three WWE guys) and it took an amazing amount of bucks to do it, which was something WCW had no problems throwing at people. When I first saw Scott Hall (still in his Razor Ramon persona) appear on WCW TV, I had no idea he had left WWE and (foolishly) believed a joint effort was being initiated by the two companies. At that point, we still didn't know Kevin Nash and Hulk Hogan were coming. When they did, it was amazing......for awhile.

Then, they lost control of whatever vision they had for the NWO concept. By the time Randy Savage got there, they were inviting people like Scott Norton and Brian Adams to join; people who had never been associated with WWE and had no place (imo) in Scott Hall's original premise of "Our three best guys against your three best guys."

I'll never understand what Randy Savage was doing there in the first place. Did he leave Vince McMahon strictly for money.....or was Vince not letting him wrestle when he wanted to (which lends itself to the question: If Randy Savage wants to wrestle for your organization, why would anyone want to stop him?)

But, it's all moot anyway, isn't it? If Hulk Hogan is the leader of the band, no one is going to take it away from him, are they? It seemed Savage was in Atlanta to work with Elizabeth again....which was one of the strangest things I ever saw.

Savage never had a "leadership" type personality, anyway. He was the ultimate loner, and his best work was always done when allied with no one. Having him issuing commands in that constipated-sounding voice of his (yes, I remember it) wouldn't have fit with the NWO concept....especially after the company lost their way with the whole thing.

Savage didn't have the mic skills to be leader of the Wolf pack. Nash did

As the leader, he would have had to cut some pretty long and detailed promos. It would have just looked and sounded silly when Savage cut his 80's style promo, followed up by the more cutting edge 90's style Nash used.

Also as leader, less wrestling is required, as it should be an "event" when the leader wrestles. Savage was a workman, and Nash wasn't. So this suited Nash more.

The shock factor was based on Hogan or at worst case Sting as being the 3rd man. No one else would have really worked on the level it needed. Sting would have been interesting as he had not been heel to that point and as a WCW veteran it would have become a real "let's kill WCW" stable rather than what it was.

Savage as leader would only have worked had he not jumped in 94. If he had still been in the WWF until right before the NWO formed then yes, it could have been an equally big shock and possibly better than how it did turn out, especially if they "rejected" Hogan as a member, leaving him as the "loner" that Sting then became.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back