What If?: 1994 MLB Strike

Megatron

Justin Verlander > You
Ever since there's been sports, there's been a lot of moments that made us go: What if? What if Jackie Robinson never broke the color berrier? What if the NHL didn't go to a lockout in 2004? What if Babe Ruth was never sold to the Yankees? All great questions, and all will be addressed sometime soon. All of these questions make us think long and hard, and make us wonder how the face of sports as we know it would be if those things did, or didn't, happen. This will be a series of threads that I will make, making a thread every few days or so, hopefully it sparks a debate here in the Stadium. Now here is my second what if?

August 12, 1994 For any baseball fan who was alive and paying attention to the game at that time, they know exactly what happened this date. This was the first day of the dreaded 1994 MLB Strike, which would go throughout the end of the season, cancelling the World Series of that year. It would be one of the things that caused many fans to stay away from the game for a few years. 1994 was on-pace to be one of the most memorable baseball seasons ever. Here were some of the things missed out because of the strike and cancellation of the rest of the season:

-The Monreal Expos were the team that was affected the most by this strike. Not only were they having their best season in Franchise history, they had the best record in all of baseball when the season was cancelled and were considered to be World Series favorites with the talents they had, including Larry Walker, Moises Alou, Cliff Floyd, Pedro Martinez, and Marquis Grissom, among others. They had only made the playoffs one other time in their history, and, despite having the leagues 2nd lowest payroll, were, in many fan's opinion, the best team in baseball. The strike would ultimately lead to the downfall of the Expos, because since they had lost all of the money revenue due to the last 30-some games of the season, they were forced to sell all of their important players early in 1995. The Franchise would never be a threat to make a playoff run again and were relocated to Washington in 2005.

-The New York Yankees were leading the AL in victories and it seemed that forever-loved Don Mattingly would finally get his first crack at the postseason, after trying so hard since 1983. However, obviously, the strike would wipe that out. Mattingly, unlike the Expos, was lucky enough to reach the postseason next year, which would be his only appearance, as he retired following the 1995 season.

-Many players were also taken away career years that they were having. Matt Williams of the San Fransisco Giants was on pace to tie Roger Maris' then single season record of 61 homers. Tony Gwynn of the San Diego Padres was flirting with a .400 batting average, hitting .394 at the time, trying to become the first person to do that since Ted Williams. Ken Griffey Jr. was also nearing Maris' record, hitting 40 at the time. Many other players were hitting at high batting averages and RBI paces as well.

These are just a few of consequences of the Strike. So, I ask you, What would have happened to the MLB if the Strike of 94 didn't happen? Would the Nationals still be the Expos? Would they have a World Series ring, or two? Would Matt Williams have gone down in baseball history? Would Tony Gwynn have? So many questions, and these, and others, can be answered by you.

Previous 'What If's?':

Gale Sayers

I think there would still be baseball in Montreal. As you said the Expos had a great team and were the favorites to win the World Series at the time of the strike. A world championship could have kept baseball popular in Montreal for years. A championship also could have kept players interested in staying in Montreal and made it more attractive to free agents. There is no doubt the Expos and the fans of Montreal were the biggest victims of the strike.

As for the individuals. I don't think Gwynn would have his .400 nor do I think Maris's record would have been broken. We've seen guys on pace to break records, hit .400, win the triple crown, etc. in August before, but they don't keep pace over the last month.

One more thing. If there was no strike I wouldn't have had to hear White Sox fans complain about how they were screwed out of a championship for the past 15 years. The Expos were the favorite and the Indians were only one game behind the Sox. Anything could have happened, included the Sox going all the way, but these Sox fans act as though it was a done deal they were going to win the series that year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back