• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What could have been - Davey Boy Smith

This is my newest thread series. It'll be focusing on what certain wrestlers whose careers were cut short, or just never reached expectations could have some day been. Today my focus is: The British Bulldog, Davey Boy Smith.

Davey Boy was an excellent wrestler, but he never quite reached the top. He left for WCW a few times and that certainly contributed to him never getting the WWE(F) Championship, as well as the fact that he passed away so young while preparing for his WWE comeback. I definitely think that had Smith not had injury issues and had he not left the WWE a few times that he could have been the "top dog". Even when he tragically died I think had he gone back he could have been the champ. Smith was excellently trained at the Hart Dungeon, and was near perfect in the ring. His SummerSlam '92 match with Bret Hart really showcased his talents and proved his worth. He was about as good as a wrestler could get, and the fans loved him. He had an excellent work ethic, but his demons got the best of him. A truly extraordinary talent. He could have been champ, in my eyes.

What are your thoughts?

I find that he could have been much more than what he was if he had the push and time to do so.

His matches were able to fit whom ever he was in the ring with. When he wrestled a powerhouse, like the Warlord, it was power based, when he went against a technical marvel like Bret in the classic Summer Slam wembley stadium match, he fits nicely.

The only deciding factor, at least to me, is the one thing so many critique wrestlers on. Can, on the mic, Davey boy bring you into the drama of the match BEFORE the match. He was pretty 80's with his quick, written for him type of promos, so could he have worked on it, and evolved into a great mic worker, who knows.

On the other hand.

If he could have stuck with Owen, they, in my opinion could have surpassed the Hart Foundation in legacy and quality of matches. Him being the power based, and Owen the technical, they mirrored the HF in that aspect, but their matches were much more entertaining, and Owen being the better on the mic, They could have been a HUGE tag team that would have stood amongst the greats.

I feel that when he turned heel and cut his hair short on 1995 that he should have been the one to end Diesel's title reign, not Bret Hart, who didn't really need the title at that time. Even if Neckar last the title to Hart at the Rumble it still would have allowed fir the Hart/Michaels Iron Man Match at Mania in 96. I really didn't make since that Hart was the one to take the title when Diesel was feuding with Bulldog at that time anyways.

I agree that his best shot of winning the belt was in 95 when he worked as a heel. I thought he was going to beat Bret in the In Your House match with Diana at ringside. As much as I liked the Bulldog, he never had a chance of being champ after that. He was in the midcard for a few years, and then Bret was the star of the New Hart Foundation. I know he came back to feud with Rock in 99, but by then they just had too many big names to give Bulldog the belt.

I think Davey Boy achieved all he was capable of. That may seem like an insult since there are those who think he could have been world champion, but it’s not meant to be. I think he had a very successful career. He started off as a part of a great tag team. The British Bulldogs are widely regarded as one of the greatest teams in WWE history and they enjoyed a lengthy title reign. A few years later he won the IC title in one of the greatest IC matches ever. After another hiatus he returned eventually turning heel in 1995. Here he received ppv title matches against Diesel, Bret Hart, and Shawn Michaels. He proved to be a worthy contender but I never saw him as champion. Davey was always relevant when he was with WWE. When I think of Davey Boy I don’t think what could have been. I think about the good career he had.

Davey was always going to be a major player for Vince... when Beefcake went down in 1990, DBS was the guy called to replace him at Summerslam, only to get in the famous car wreck with Chris Benoit and Kerry Von Erich got the gig instead... Vince was so high on him he was gonna get the IC belt even then...

I truly believe that Davey should have gotten the WCW title from Vader in 1993 and the WWF title from Shawn in 1996... both feuds were excellent and showed that Davey could verbally match oppoents as well as have great main event matches... Vince missed the boat by firing him in 92 when he had just secured the biggest ever non american attendance (and still 2nd highest ever)... as he was a far better worker after dropping a few pounds of muscle.

In 97 I think he could have been champ had he not left for WCW... Austin might have won it later that way but I think Davey would have been a better guy for him to win it from than Shawn...

There aren't many guys who you can truly say "should" have been a World champion...even if they could have been... Davey Boy does belong on that list... Vince clearly did promise him a title run and created a belt to appease him... Vince figured I guess DBS was a guy he could rely on even with his issues... It's telling that Vince always hired him back after paying for his rehab. Let's hope Vince gives Harry the run he deserves...

I agree with The Brain. He still had alot of gas in the tank, if he remained healthy and focused, but I think he at best would have been at high midcard status. He was getting older and his mobility was decreasing and his mic work was average at best. I think as a main event champion with any sort of drawing power or real heat, he would have needed a manager like a Heyman or Cornette. Not a knock on him, as he was one of my favorites, but as a stand alone wrestler, I just couldn't see him as a drawing world champion

We all no about "The British Bulldog's" problems away from the ring so i'm not going to go there. But i will say, that the question shouldn't be "What could have been" it should be, "What Should have been". He was one of the few wrestlers even today that could be respected as a heel and a face. Also he had charisma. But The British Bulldog was a product of bad timing, he was always stuck behind megastars. And he knew that, that's why he would quit come back, quit again, not give a 100% always in his matches. He was stuck behind Luger, Sid, Ultimate warrior, Bret Hart, Diesel, Hogan, Andre, especially Shawn Michaels. Even in the late 90's he was then stuck behind Triple h, The Rock, Stone cold, Undertaker, Mankind, Kane. WWF/E was always focused on pleasing everyone else it's unfortunate because the guy had it. Physique, charisma, attitude, over with the crowd heel or face. He just was stuck behind everyone else.

Bulldog was certainly worthy of a title reign in my eyes. He looked like a star, was over as hell with the fans and could if he had ever been given the title, the popularity of the WWE in the UK would have skyrocketed, making McMahon even more money. We have all seen how big SS 92 was at Wembley, now multiply that by about 5x if Bulldog had been World Champion, he was a hero on these shores.

I always enjoyed seeing Davy Boy in the ring, he was extremely capable and could hang with the best of them. When you look at people like Sid Vicious and others who were pushed to the moon, it is very disappointing that Smith never got that opportunity. If he was in the WWE today, he would be champion, simple as. The belt didnt switch from wrestler to wrestler like a hot potato then, making title reigns much more infrequent, therefore as Davey was not one of the biggest names in the company, he never got the belt. He was always behind the bigger names. I also always thought Davey was decent on the mic, not on the level of someone like The Rock, but he was certainly good enough to handle himself well, and the English accent was something different to anyone else. Plus he was perfectly capable of working to a very high standard as both a face and a heel, something many wrestlers struggle with.

It was his personal demons that also prevented him from fully realising his potential, although he still had a great career even without a world title reign. His friendship with the Dynamite Kid led to some of the best tag team matches of all time as The British Bulldogs, a legendary team, but sadly down the road of drink, drugs and steroid abuse. Bret Hart mentioned in his autobiography, that he had to carry the IC title match at SS92 between himself and Davey as Smith couldnt remember any part of what they had agreed to do, having been up all night doing crack. It was things like this that stopped Bulldog from being the best.

I really enjoyed his later work in the WWE too, I remember the 1st ever European title match between Bulldog and Owen Hart, that appears on the Raw 15 year anniversary DVD set, that was a fantastic match, and the tag team with Owen was also brilliant. I think had they remained together, that they could have been up with the greats as one of the best tag-teams ever. The combination of Smith's power and Harts technical ability gave us an incredibly well-balanced tag team with great chemistry. This, and his earlier work with Dynamite Kid in the British Bulldogs, showed Davey's ability as not only a great singles wrestler, but one of the best tag-team competitors of all time. However, his final short run in the WWE where he had short hair and dressed in jeans for his matches was appalling. He just looked like he could not be bothered and it disappointed me to see him in that state. I remember seeing him slowly running across the ring and taking a hiptoss from someone, (possibly The Rock) and landing on his head, he just couldnt do it any more. Very sad and hard to watch.

It is truly sad Davey is no longer with us, I would have loved to have seen Davey and DH Smith teaming up as a one-off, it would have been a great moment and maybe Davey could have been the manager for his son if he wasnt able to wrestle any more. I think he would have been very good in that role.

Overall though, I think that although Bulldog had a really good career, he could have done more. I defintiely do believe that he did deserve a World Title run, he was easily good enough to hold the title and could have had some great feuds. I would have paid good money to see Bret and Davey lock up again, only this time for the World Title, not the IC belt. However, if you are abusing drugs like Smith did, and have severe personal demons as he did, then this is always likely to prevent you from fully realising your potential, not to mention all the injuries he suffered which severely slowed him down.

I think Bulldog is a definite case of "what might have been", he was extremely successful and is remembered on a level far above most other wrestlers, who would have loved a career like Davey's, but it could and maybe SHOULD have been alot more, had he been able to control the demons and had that little bit of luck with a bigger push from Vince.

Based on wrestling ability, physique, and promo skills, I think Davey could have been WWF champ.

If this were to ever happen, it would have been around 1992 when he had the big win vs. Bret at Summer Slam. Davey was pretty popular at this time, and it would have been a natural progression. The only other time it would have made sense is around 1995 when he was in the epic Royal Rumble where he entered #2 and Shawn entered #1 and they were the final 2 in the ring.

Davey was his own worst enemy, like so many others. Read the Hitman's book and you'll see why he never became WWF Champion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back