• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WGN Cancelling WWE Superstars

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
It's been reported that WGN will stop airing WWE Superstars after the April 7th episode. WWE Superstars is a show that's featured primarily lower mid-card talent since it first began airing on WGN just after WrestleMania 25 in 2009.

The WWE hasn't put out any statement regarding the future of the show or what their intentions are going to be. Superstars has never really been a priority for WWE but it's been useful to give some of the lesser known stars on the WWE roster some television time.

It's been reported that WGN will stop airing WWE Superstars after the April 7th episode. WWE Superstars is a show that's featured primarily lower mid-card talent since it first began airing on WGN just after WrestleMania 25 in 2009.

The WWE hasn't put out any statement regarding the future of the show or what their intentions are going to be. Superstars has never really been a priority for WWE but it's been useful to give some of the lesser known stars on the WWE roster some television time.

A link would be nice. :shrug:

And if true, it'll only increase the body-count from the post-Wrestlemania lay-off. Between NXT and Tough Enough, they'll get their cheap undercard replacements and be able to determine how many they want to keep for Smackdown and Raw.

Maybe we'll finally get a serious brand seperation. :shrug:

Well, is the rumor is true, i for one am pretty sad about it.
Superstars has had some really, really good matches and its the show to watch whenever you want to see some Zack Ryder, Tyler Reks, Yoshiie, and other good superstars.
But i the most bad about the wrestlers who are basically regulars on the show. Its the only way they can get TV time without being a quick jobber or in a comedy act. Once that small window for them is gone, what else are they gonna have left?
That is, IF it is true.

It truly does suck. Superstars on WGN was a great way for guys like Zack Ryder, Yoshi Tatsu, Chris Masters, Trent Berretta among others to actually get a bit of air time on TV. Now that Superstar is being taken off the air, I'm afraid and very concerned for these guy's futures. It seems that the WWE will soon realize they have nothing for these young, unestablished guys to do and maybe even release them which is some what a shame. Hell, maybe this could mean small pushes for more talented guys from Superstars like Chris Masters or Trent Berretta. All I know is, my Thursday nights at 8PM, won't be the same with Superstars on WGN.

If true, then good.. It was boring anyway, I quit watching it along time ago.. why would i care about seeing Yoshi and Zack Ryder anyway? They were generic and annoying.. now they can go back to jobbing to the "real" stars :)

if true this could mean that Superstars will join NXT as a WWE.com Exclusive show.

Maybe this'll start the "rebranding" of WWE.com that Joey Styles is in charge of.

Never been a big fan of the show, but I do like Yoshi Tatsu, and Chris Masters so it would suck for them if its true, but as for the show goodbye to a one boring hour.

Oh man. I don't know how I feel about this. I think that Superstars suck, but I do understand its to help the lower carders gain exposure. I in no way agree with WGN decision despite my feeling about Superstars if this is indeed true. If happen, alot of the lower cards will be lost in the shuffle of things.

I wouldnt even know where to begin to salvage the lower carders. My best idea would be the combining of the brands. It may not be the best idea at this era of WWE, but when the brands were merged, even low carders received some shine and were booked so amazingly. Crash Holly comes to mind during that time.

Credit: Prowrestling.net
Chad Ruffner sent an e-mail to WGN America concerning replays of WWE Superstars. The e-mail response noted the following:

"Our final airing of 'WWE Superstars' is Thursday, April 7."

America has confirmed that WWE Superstars has been canceled. Additional information was not provided.

WWE Superstars debuted on April 16, 2009.

Bad news, I enjoyed Superstars

It always offered at least one solid match and gives you a chance to look at talent 'lost in the shuffle' as it were. Hope this isn't the end of it & that it gets moved elsewhere because at the end of the day Superstars doesn't cost much to make, it's just a collection of dark matches before Smackdown and Raw.

This is a big shame, I enjoyed Superstars and seeing some of the lower card wrestlers who do not get to sppear on Raw or Smackdown. They got some valuable TV time, which would have benefitted them when they moved to the main rosters.

I reckon that the show could end up being a WWE.COM exclusive, as NXT became. I do not think WWE will stop running Superstars before one of the main shows, it just makes sense to give their lesser known talent more exposure.

Typical. We don't even get WGN on Time Warner in upstate NY. I love seeing the SuperStars matches and I have to watch it effin youtube. I'm disappointed, but I thought having it on a limited channel was stupid from jump. They should keep taping the matches and run them online.

I sure hope that the show can find a place elsewhere as I think it's an invaluable resource for the company and its' young stars. Some of the best matches I've seen in the past month have come from Superstars and I've seen young talent working their tails off there. That should not go away.

Thank Jacob. Man, watching Superstars is painful!! Half of the show is just clips from Smackdown and Raw. It is just too bad to watch.

Thank Jacob. Man, watching Superstars is painful!! Half of the show is just clips from Smackdown and Raw. It is just too bad to watch.

You seem relieved as though you don't have to waste your time watching now that it has been cancelled. You know you didn't have to watch right? This doesn't effect me at all because Superstars hasn't been shown in my market for about a year now. I'm not sure how much I'd watch it anyway. I think WWE should try to get it on UHD on Saturday Night. That station replays Raw and Smackdown all night anyway so why not just throw Superstars into the mix? It's not going to pop any big ratings but it will fit in with the flow of their programming and still give the lower card guys the opportunity to be on television.

Hummm, so i guess the all high and mighty WWE has a show that is being canceled because of ratings while TNA Impact is still on the air despite the fact that many people say TNA and Impact is shit and their ratings are low .:lmao:

Hummm, so i guess the all high and mighty WWE has a show that is being canceled because of ratings while TNA Impact is still on the air despite the fact that many people say TNA and Impact is shit and their ratings are low .:lmao:

You do realise Superstars is WWE's 3rd show, with wrestlers like Zack Ryder, Yoshi Tatsu and Curt Hawkins?

While Impact is TNA's premier show with wrestlers like Kurt Angle, Sting and Rob Van Dam and stars such as Hogan and Flair?

I think Impact remaining on air is nothing to shout about, with their roster TNA should be getting far higher ratings than Superstars

You do realise Superstars is WWE's 3rd show, with wrestlers like Zack Ryder, Yoshi Tatsu and Curt Hawkins?

While Impact is TNA's premier show with wrestlers like Kurt Angle, Sting and Rob Van Dam and stars such as Hogan and Flair?

I think Impact remaining on air is nothing to shout about, with their roster TNA should be getting far higher ratings than Superstars

It was a joke man, have some humour. Yes its a shame for the wrestlers that appear on WWE SuperStars, because guys like Tatsu,Masters or Ryder need the exposure.

It sucks. It was a good way for guys with nothing to do like Yoshi well, something to do. If these guys are used regularly on the other shows, then I see no problem. But of course, WGN is canceling Superstars. This could simply mean it's going to another network.

I also find this disheartening. In my perfect world, they would take the show to another network, maybe USA, and re-package it into another stand alone show. Use it as a lower talent show, but give it some attention. Expand it to 2 hours, highlight cruiserweights and tag teams, and have a mid carder or two w/semi-name recognition. I'd bet they'd be surprised.

This is quite sucky news. I actually liked Superstars. It was good to watch before I went to work but alas that'll be no more. More often than not, it has the best match of the week especially with the lack of matches in both WWE and TNA of late.

It's a shame that superstars such as Chris Masters, Trent Barreta and Curt Hawkins won't have a place to showcase their abilities as I think they could have been a great addition to the midcard. One thing that'll come from this is the amount of wrestlers they future endeavour now that they don't have a place to go, which really is a shame that so many superstars will be out of a job.

Anyway, this is sad news but nothing I'll lose sleep over. I just hope that some superstars with potential don't get let go because of this.

I never watch Superstars. If there is a good match, I might watch it on YouTube. But apart from that, I don't have time to watch it. I mean, there isn't much time left after watching the main shows and then writing about them on the internet.

WGN is cancelling Superstars. WWE isn't. Does this mean an end for the show? Probably not. In all likelihood, WWE will find a new home. A bigger channel, maybe. MyNetworkTV is a possibility due to the WWE previously dealings with them (that's bigger than WGN, right?). I do think we will see Superstars pop up on another channel. WWE have such a great lower midcard, WWE wouldn't want to see them lose TV time. The show isn't getting bad ratings, either. Well, for what it is and where it is.

Here's hoping Superstars lives on. It's great for younger talents and people seem to like it.

Never had WGN on my cable network, so I've never seen Superstars.

The days of just being able to put out "wrestling programming" and have people watch it appear to be gone; "The Action Zone" and "Saturday Night" are programs of the past. It doesn't surprise me that people weren't tuning in to watch people like Yoshi Tatsu and Curt Hawkins; the WWE hasn't even tried to build them.

I never watch Superstars. If there is a good match, I might watch it on YouTube. But apart from that, I don't have time to watch it. I mean, there isn't much time left after watching the main shows and then writing about them on the internet.

WGN is cancelling Superstars. WWE isn't. Does this mean an end for the show? Probably not. In all likelihood, WWE will find a new home. A bigger channel, maybe. MyNetworkTV is a possibility due to the WWE previously dealings with them (that's bigger than WGN, right?). I do think we will see Superstars pop up on another channel. WWE have such a great lower midcard, WWE wouldn't want to see them lose TV time. The show isn't getting bad ratings, either. Well, for what it is and where it is.

Here's hoping Superstars lives on. It's great for younger talents and people seem to like it.

I'd TIVO the show and watch the 20 minutes that contained actual wrestling. I couldn;t watch it live because I'd have to sit through half of it being the RAW Rewind. Does the WWE not realize that 95% of the folks watching Superstars have already watched RAW themselves?!?!?

But I have to appreciate the in-ring work being done by guys like Hawkins, Reks, Chris Masters, Zack Ryder, Primo and others.

Any fan of true in-ring action should check it out (but trust me - tape it!)

This is horrible. Superstars had great matches from guys we don't see much on the primary shows. I mean I loved see guys like Trent Barreta on there as he has won me over and I am a giant fan of his now. Now that the little TV times the undercarders had I am utterly concerned for their futures in the WWE. This also end the commenting careers of Jack Korpela,Scott Stanford and, Matt Striker. WWE probably isn't going too far into finding a new channel for it. So I'm afraid it is gone forever. It really suck to because lately 50 percent of this show has been recap. I hope something happens to turn this decision around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back