WCW Region, Seattle Subregion, Second Round: (8) Verne Gagne vs. (9) Blue Demon

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Verne Gagne

• Blue Demon

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round match in the WCW Region, Seattle Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under WCW Rules. It will be held at the Key Arena in Seattle, Washington.

300px-KeyArena_%282890740573%29.jpg

Gagne_med.jpg

#8. Verne Gagne

Vs.

demonsr.jpg

#9. Blue Demon

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

I love lucha libre, and Blue Demon absolutely deserves his place at this stage in the tournament and beyond. However, Gagne is one of the most under appreciated megastars of wrestling and I think that all told, is probably a bigger deal than Demon, and certainly outside of Mexico would be booked to win. Sorry Blue Demon, I doubt I've ever voted against you, but it's got to be Gagne.

Going Gagne here.

The location helps a little bit (I'm banking on people in Seattle having a better chance at knowing Minnesota over Mexico, rasslin wise), but I think Gagne's legend slightly outshines Demon's here.

These two would put on a SHOW though. This is one of my favorite matchups of this round by far.

Blue Demon, as I understand it, is not quite on the level many of the Mexican mega-stars. Verne Gagne was both a tremendously well-regarded and over athlete, but also one with a very strong legacy. A legacy that I fear is bigger than the Blue Demon's.

I'll kneel to Gagne in this one.

I'm on the Gagne train as well. He was #11 on my list and Demon was #18. Which more than likely lead to both receiving high seeds. My train of though went like this...

Drawing power - Should be Gagne you considered that he split from the NWA, formed his version of the AWA which lasted some odd 20 years, pretty much due to the fact that he was that popular among fans in the midwest.

Accolades - Again this has to be Gagne. Just because he booked himself to be champion in his own promotion doesn't mean shit when he had the drawing power to back up the decision to put the title on himself so many times.

Longevity - Split on this. It probably is Gagne, but like Santo, Demon was consistently popular for a long period of time.

Consistency - Gagne gets the point. But Demon was far more marketable.

Charisma - I'm a bit split on this, but I'd give the ultimate nod to Demon as he was popular across several more mediums than just television and radio. Also Gagne wasn't what I'd call an electrifying public talker either.

In ring skills - All things considered I'd probably go with Gagne.

Overall legacy - Top Lucha Libre heel of all time versus one of the US's most popular stars. Who created his own promotion, which lasted 20 years, built on the back of his popularity and reputation, and who trained many future greats and launched the careers of several others... has to be Gagne.

So I vote Gagne. Should not have been a second round match though. More like 3rd or maybe even 4th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back