WCW Region, Greensboro Subregion, Second Round: (5)Andre the Giant vs. (12)Jeff Hardy

Who wins this match?

• Andre the Giant

• Jeff Hardy

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round match in the WCW Region, Greensboro Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Greensboro Coliseum in Greensboro, North Carolina. Assume one week has passed since the first round matches.

greensboro_coliseum2.jpg

220px-Andre_in_the_late_%2780s.jpg

#5. Andre the Giant

Vs.

pic_1203701413_1004.jpg

#12. Jeff Hardy

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

But seriously, Andre the Giant would murder Jeff Hardy. Like, a lot. Jeff has had a small amount of success against some of the bigger guys, but if you frequently lose to Umaga, you're not taking out Andre on your first try.

All I got is Jeff's actually done ok against big guys (Abyss, Undertaker, Matt Morgan, Umaga) but the thing that seperated those guys from Andre is they're a lot quicker. Look I know Andre would beat Jeff to a pulp but only if he got his hands on him but Jeff is both quick and resilient so this might actually be a bit tougher for Andre than initially expected.

All I got is Jeff's actually done ok against big guys (Abyss, Undertaker, Matt Morgan, Umaga) but the thing that seperated those guys from Andre is they're a lot quicker. Look I know Andre would beat Jeff to a pulp but only if he got his hands on him but Jeff is both quick and resilient so this might actually be a bit tougher for Andre than initially expected.

Don't think of WrestleMania III Andre. Andre in his prime would regularly come off the top rope onto his opponents. I like Jeff and argued for him last round, but he'll get massacred here.

As per usual, don't be a goon. Jeff Hardy is a multiple time world champion, he's not going to get squashed by anyone. That being said, he's not going to beat Andre. Andre is a bigger man and a bigger name than Hardy, and fundamentally brought so much more to the table. I genuinely don't think Hardy has ever been over for his wrestling character, just his actual character of being a bit of a leftfield outsider appeals to tweens has turned into wrestling success. If he could sing, his band would be huge and he wouldn't be wrestling. Andre wins.

If Stan Hansen can't beat the Big Show, then Jeff Hardy has no chance against Andre the Giant. For those that don't believe it'll be a squash, you're delusional. Just because someone's won titles a lot doesn't make them any bigger and stronger. Andre would make short work of Hardy... and I'm saying Jeff would even get in some offense.

It's just not going to be anywhere close to hurting Andre and the true Giant moves on.

Answer this: how can Jeff Hardy hurt Andre? Unless we go with the dumbest idea in the history of the internet which says Andre is going to stand there and let Hardy hit him, Jeff can pound on Andre for hours and do nothing but irritate the big guy. Hardy can dive off whatever he wants but eventually he's either going to get caught or he's going to miss, and then ANdre has his fun. The Giant wins this and it's not even close.

The thing about Andre is he didn't win matches. He wrestled to a draw or a dq/countout or he lost. I know Hardy would have a tough job of hurting him, however, he's had success against quite a few bigger opponents through his career and is one of the most resilient wrestlers that we've ever seen. I have to go with Hardy here for the simple fact he won matches and Andre didn't

The thing about Andre is he didn't win matches. He wrestled to a draw or a dq/countout or he lost. I know Hardy would have a tough job of hurting him, however, he's had success against quite a few bigger opponents through his career and is one of the most resilient wrestlers that we've ever seen. I have to go with Hardy here for the simple fact he won matches and Andre didn't

I have no idea where you are getting this idea that Andre doesn't win, he won 2/3 of his matches while Jeff has barely won half.

It's true that Andre was never really a great World Champion. His extremely brief run in WWE back in '88 isn't something I'm counting. When Andre was in his prime, he was booked as a special attraction throughout companies everywhere. The reason he was never given a World Championship is, at the time, there was practically nobody that fans would buy into being able to take the title from Andre.

In the grand scheme of things, there's little that Hardy to do to ultimately beat Andre. In his prime, Andre wasn't the nearly crippled sloth that he was when he faced Hogan in '87 at WM III. Andre in his prime was an athletic, 375-400 pound 7 footer who was every single bit as athletic, probably more so, than Vader, probably the last great super heavyweight in wrestling.

I'm not saying Hardy will simply roll over and die or that he'll not be able to do anything whatsoever to Andre, but it's just strikes me as too much of a mismatch. I honestly think Hardy would catch Andre by surprise a couple of times and have him, at least momentarily, looking like he was in trouble. Frankly though, I just don't see anything in Hardy's arsenal that can ultimately take Andre out.

I have no idea where you are getting this idea that Andre doesn't win, he won 2/3 of his matches while Jeff has barely won half.

Wow, that website is far from having a complete database of information...

http://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=926&page=22

...but the reality would be the same. I still think Hardy's prime was during his final years in the WWE where he was uber popular and was one of the top draws in the entire company. Hardy has done well for himself in TNA; but does he draw as much, or an equivalent to as much? Probably not. I don't think he's been a main event player in TNA for as long either.

Andre was an attraction; never the main star, but an attraction. And he was a damn good one. He drew more for longer as an attraction than some did as the top star of a promotion. It's difficult to say when Andre's exact prime was... I know he was one of those responsible for the huge numbers seen during Hulkamania, but the guy could barely move at that point... but during the territory days he'd tour around and only job to the biggest star in the region; and sometimes he wouldn't job then.

Nonetheless I'd have to give this match to Andre. He was more popular, more successful, and really more enigmatic than Hardy.

It's true that Andre was never really a great World Champion. His extremely brief run in WWE back in '88 isn't something I'm counting. When Andre was in his prime, he was booked as a special attraction throughout companies everywhere. The reason he was never given a World Championship is, at the time, there was practically nobody that fans would buy into being able to take the title from Andre.

This is really a magnificent point.

Let's also not forget that in the 70's and 80's when Andre WAS in his prime, the WWF Title meant something different. There was only ONE World Champion, and at times, the champion's reign was extremely lengthy. Sammartino at 10 years, Backlund at 6. Babyface vs Babyface matches were slightly less common, and Andre was over as a face, so until the Hogan situation at Mania 3, they didn't need to turn Andre.

Furthermore, in the 70's and 80's, guys could get over and have fantastic careers without ever holding a World Title. While in today's world where you need to win multiple world titles to be in the discussion of all time greats, guys like Junkyard Dog, Roddy Piper, Ted DiBiase, Don Muraco, etc wouldn't really sniff the World Title, but were massive draws. Andre was the king of those massive draws without holding the World Title.

I'm pretty certain that Jeff never even beat Big Show in his career and he definitely lost to Umaga more times than he beat him. I just watched Jeff vs. Big Show from 2009 and Show won that. If Jeff couldn't beat a past his prime Big Show then what hope would he have against Andre? What moves could he potentially use against Andre? To hit the swanton he'd have to take the big man down. Whisper in the wind? Big Show literally shrugged the move off in their match and Andre would probably do the same.

Andre wrestled all around the world and as it was already mentioned, the whole reason he never got the world title was due to the fact that nobody could plausibly beat him. When that is the reason that you never get a world title and your facing off against someone much smaller than you, you know Andre has this in the bag.

Jeff might hit a few dropkicks and other moves that could potentially keep the big man off his feet but he will fuck up somehow and then he's dead.

Jeff never faired to well against the Big Show in one-on-one encounters, and facing Andre would seem to be even a tougher task.

Being one of those guys who would sneak in a time-limit draw against Andre amongst a bunch of squash losses would seem to Jeff's best hope. Sure he would be hard for Andre to get his hands on. But ultimately what would it accomplish? There is nothing Jeff could do with out the use of his trusty ladders, tables, etc. that could really hurt Andre, let alone keep him down for three.

Jeff's offense is simply useless here. Rendering his chances nil.

Not sure I am impressed by the arguments here. Andre didn't get the title because he was perceived to be unbeatable in an era of long title reigns :confused:

Look what happened in Andre's most high profile fight

Don't think of WrestleMania III Andre. Andre in his prime would regularly come off the top rope onto his opponents. I like Jeff and argued for him last round, but he'll get massacred here.

This. Don't get it twisted people, WMIII was out of Andre's prime. He was way fatter then he was in the 70s and early 80s. Much quicker and more dominant, the man hardly ever lost. On top of that he was advertised as undefeated all the time and it was damn believable.

Hardy is far far outmatched here, Andre the Giant wins.

Andre goes over Hardy in this match. I can't think of anything in Hardy's arsenal that will keep Andre down long enough to be able to score a victory. Andre was one of the greatest attractions in the wrestling business, and the list of guys who got a win over him is pretty small and exclusive. There are wrestlers in this tournament that you could plausibly book to go over Andre, but Hardy isn't one of them. Hardy will get his shots in, but it won't be enough. Andre moves on.

Reactions: IHW
If Jeff Hardy gets even one vote, it's one too many. A guy like him cannot beat a guy like Andre and would not beat a guy like Andre. There's really nothing more to say. It's not a close matchup.

Thank goodness this isn't a ladder match. I'm sure I'd be reading all sorts of nonsense if it was. There's no way Hardy can win this. Some may say Andre's record and reputation are exaggerated but it doesn't matter here. Andre regularly wrestled two or three opponents at once and beat them with ease. I would vote for Andre if he was against both Jeff and Matt at the same time.

Can't really say too much more. I just couldn't see Jeff being able to hurt Andre. Andre would eventually get a hold of him and he would have his way. Jeff would not go down without a fight, but Andre wins this one.

Yeah people are underselling Hardy by saying he'd be squashed. He wouldn't - he'd dominate the early stages before getting caught. Andre would have a big control segment where Hardy shows hard to battle on before hitting a big move to gain momentum. Whisper in the Wind knocks down Andre, swanton bomb gets a 2 count before crushed with Andre going over.

There is no way he would beat a prime Andre. Just not a shot. So, so few would. Next round vs Goldberg or Gagne is gonna be tough for him, this isn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back