WCW Region, Greensboro Subregion, First Round: (4) Verne Gagne vs. (29) Big Daddy

Who wins this match?

• Verne Gagne

• Big Daddy

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the WCW Region, Greensboro Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Greensboro Coliseum in Greensboro, North Carolina.

greensboro_coliseum2.jpg

verne8.jpg

#4. Verne Gagne

Vs.

legends_of_wrestling2_1_500.jpg

#29. Big Daddy

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

I'll be honest, I had to wiki Big Daddy to know who he was. Apparently he was pretty popular for a while and had an IRL record breaking 64" chest.

Verne on the other hand is like a 12 time NWA world champion, WWE HOFer, Cauliflower Ally member, and long time wrestling trainer of many many many greats.

Verne wins it for me.

I'll be honest, I had to wiki Big Daddy to know who he was. Apparently he was pretty popular for a while and had an IRL record breaking 64" chest.

Verne on the other hand is like a 12 time NWA world champion, WWE HOFer, Cauliflower Ally member, and long time wrestling trainer of many many many greats.

Verne wins it for me.

If you're going to use Wikipedia to form the entire basis of the argument, at least copy it properly, Verne Gagne absolutely wasn't a 12 time NWA World Champion.

Put simply, Big Daddy was really popular in a promotion he dominated, in a specific region that he controlled. As was Gagne. The difference is that Gagne probably saturated other markets much more. The way people like Big Daddy are ignored because they weren't wrestling in America is absolutely bullshit, but in this instance, it's warranted - Gagne was one of the most consistent draws of the twentieth century, and I have to give him this.

Big Daddy may not seem to stand up against a lot of other wrestlers in finesse, but he had a style that absolutely worked for the time and the people it was designed to please. My Dad used to watch a lot of that famous ITV show, and remembers it fondly. But in the end, Tasty is right, the best way of stripping them apart is to realize that Verne Gagne was simply more transcendental than Shirley Crabtree could've claimed to be. He was more important to wrestling as a whole and deserves a win here.

If you're going to use Wikipedia to form the entire basis of the argument, at least copy it properly, Verne Gagne absolutely wasn't a 12 time NWA World Champion.

Not my entire argument, just for Big Daddy. I didn't look at wikipedia at all for Gagne, I was pretty certain eh was a 12 time NWA champion. I'm familiar with Gagne's legacy.

I had to look up Big Daddy because I had no idea who he was. I read his page and looked up some of his matches on youtube. Not really too impressed.

EDIT: looked up the actual stats. 10 time AWA world champion. I was close enough.

I did my research on Big Daddy last year... apparently, 10 counts were the norm in British Wrestling... and Big Daddy took to task bigger foes and knocked them out with body slams and overpowering his opponent. That being said, some of his opponents wouldn't even be wrestling in Verne Gagne's AWA promotion.

Also Gagne was an Olympian and I'm sure he'd figure out how to subdue the bigger foe in Big Daddy.

Gagne wins it here, but he'll be sore for a few days.

Yeah Big Daddy is one of the best in the history of British wrestling. His legacy still reverberates through this country with the "easy, easy" chants still common at football. I'd predict if polling every 40yo+ in the country, Big Daddy would be the most famous wrestler.

It doesn't matter too much. This is in California, and it's against a worldwide superstar. I don't much like Verne Gagne. He sounds egotistical, manipulative and self-centred. Outside of kayfabe, he was a douche and formed his own federation so he could take the top title when he didn't get picked to go over Lou Thesz. In kayfabe, he never cracked the NWA and only dominated in the inferior AWA.

Anyway, my point is, this isn't close. Verne Gagne definitely wins. I do object to his high seeding though and hope Goldberg destroys him next round. If not I really hope he doesn't go over Andre ;/

Big Daddy is one of our most famous domestic stars - he's like Paul Daniels or Noel Edmonds. But what those two have in common with Big Daddy is that Verne Gagne would put them to sleep.

Sure, Big Daddy was dominant on World of Sport and insanely over, but if you've ever watched it you'd know that it follows in the British tradition of everything by being very unsophisticated. Big Daddy was just a fat Yorkshireman whose moves were limited by his size. A world class talent like Verne Gagne would find a way to take the big man down.

Big Daddy was one of my heroes growing up in the 80's watching world of sport. His battles with Giant Haystacks(later Loch Ness in WCW) are legendary to people who grew up watching wrestling on a saturday tea time.

However he is nowhere near Verne Gagne when it comes to world wide legacy. Gagne is still held in high esteem by people who worked alongside and also under him.

much as i hate to say it i choose Gagne to win this one pretty easy

Verne Gagne ran a successful promotion for many years and headlined as a ten time world champion. He's known as one of the all time great performers. He's trained countless wrestlers that have gone on to have successful careers. I don't know much about Big Daddy. He seems to be high on charisma and low on ability. Charisma is key since this is show business and it would be enough to get Big Daddy by a lot of guys in this tournament. Unfortunately for him he drew a legend in the first round. Early exit for Big Daddy this year.

Read a little on Big Daddy and I think The Brain summed it up pretty well. He got a bad draw in the legend that is Verne Gagne. Multi time World champ. Had the ability to train many guys. He is just too much for Big Daddy in this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back