WCW Region, Denver Subregion, Second Round: (5) Harley Race vs. (12) Goldberg

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Harley Race

• Goldberg

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round match in the WCW Region, Denver Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under WCW Rules. It will be held at the Pepsi Center, Denver, Colorado.

275-Denver_Pepsi_Center_2527.jpg

race2.jpg

#5. Harley Race

Vs.

GoldbergPic_crop_exact.jpg

#12. Goldberg

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Race is obviously more important and revered in wrestling circles, but there was a time when Goldberg was completely unstoppable. At a time when no NWA champion had held the title for less than 200 days ever, Race's first reign was a measly 56 days. That's not to tarnish his history, but it does show that he was more beatable than just about anyone of his era. It's not popular to like Goldberg, and I get why people don't, but I think he'd win this one.

Goldberg was probably the biggest flash in the pan superstar of all time. Even more so than the Ultimate Warrior. He was booked to be unstoppable to the point where, once he finally was stopped, fans stopped caring because they had seen Goldberg run through everyone already. His shtick was old. Harley Race was one of the most decorated and influential men in wrestling history. I'd take any of his classic matches against Ric Flair, the Funks, Dusty Rhodes, Jack Brisco and so many others against any 3 minute Goldberg squash any day.

Also Race was one of the toughest sons of bitches in wrestling history. Trained by the Zbyzsko brothers and endorsed by Lou Thesz for his technical abilities. Goldberg would not just be able to run through Race like he did others. People rant how Goldberg slammed all the giants, but Race muscled around the king of giants, Andre. Race could brawl with the best, wrestle with the best, match strength with the best, and adapt his wrestling style to fit any need. Goldberg was a one trick pony his entire career.

If Goldberg gave up falls to men like DDP, Booker T, Scott Steiner, Bret Hart, Harley Race Jr. Triple H, and couldn't ever pin Kane, what chance does he have against an 8 time NWA champion, one of the most popular stars in history, and one of only 6 men inducted into every major recognized halls of fame? Not much.

Do the right thing. Vote Harley Race.

Harley Race is a legend and one of the best the business has ever seen but I'm going with Goldberg. He doesn't have the longevity of Race but when he was on top almost no one was as big as Goldberg and he almost never lost.

You can make the argument that Goldberg at his best was right near Austin's level in terms of popularity. He kept WCW relevant even when the WWE clearly had the better overall product. Race also was no stranger to putting guys over and would have done it a lot more if the NWA had allowed him. There was a story on one of the Legends Roundtables that Race wanted to put over Tony Atlas and make him NWA champ but the NWA squashed the idea. He would have no problem letting a guy as over as Goldberg get a win over him.

Two guys that could scarcely be more different. All that either men has in common really is that they were ferocious and tough.

Goldberg's career and it's foundations were nothing like Race's. He was a relative rookie being put in an ego-inflating spot and trying to keep his feet as they were on very unsteady and untested ground.

Race, of course, worked his way up to a point of respect where he earnt many world title reigns. He's also treated with a fair dose of reverence in the scale of history and is a name totally up there in the 70s and 80s as a beacon of greatness for those yet to be. I love to watch me some Goldberg for however short it may be but I love me some Race too.

I'm going to buck the notion I came in with and I'll give Race the nod here.

I can see the argument for Goldberg. It has merit, however, I don't agree with it.

When it comes to longevity, influence, ring work, toughness, and accomplishments, Race has Goldberg beat. Harley Race is an 8 time NWA Champion and one of the absolute best and toughest guys to ever step foot in the ring. Hell, he put over Ric Flair. Now that's saying something.

Be smart and vote for Race.

Goldberg was an unstoppable force for about a year. He made his name by running through jobbers in about 30 seconds. Nothing wrong with that. The crowd ate it up and it worked for him at the time. It wouldn't work against Harley Race in his prime. You think Race would lay let Goldberg plow through him as if he were Jerry Flynn or Sick Boy? Not on your life. Race would give Goldberg a fight and eventually Goldberg would run out of steam.

I've never been a Goldberg fan but I respect how popular he was. That was for one year in 1998. Just one of Harley Race's eight NWA world titles lasted about twice as long as Goldberg's run on top. Vote Race.

Let's not act as if Goldberg never beat anyone of note. The man holds victories over Hogan, Sting, Rock, Lesnar, Triple H, and countless others big names. Not only has he beaten them all but he did it all completely clean. If you want to vote Race because of longevity and better legacy then go ahead but that's boring to me. This tournament is most fun (to me at least) voting based on kayfabe, and in a kayfabe match I've got Goldberg taking it.

Goldberg was probably the biggest flash in the pan superstar of all time. Even more so than the Ultimate Warrior. He was booked to be unstoppable to the point where, once he finally was stopped, fans stopped caring because they had seen Goldberg run through everyone already. His shtick was old. Harley Race was one of the most decorated and influential men in wrestling history. I'd take any of his classic matches against Ric Flair, the Funks, Dusty Rhodes, Jack Brisco and so many others against any 3 minute Goldberg squash any day.

Also Race was one of the toughest sons of bitches in wrestling history. Trained by the Zbyzsko brothers and endorsed by Lou Thesz for his technical abilities. Goldberg would not just be able to run through Race like he did others. People rant how Goldberg slammed all the giants, but Race muscled around the king of giants, Andre. Race could brawl with the best, wrestle with the best, match strength with the best, and adapt his wrestling style to fit any need. Goldberg was a one trick pony his entire career.

If Goldberg gave up falls to men like DDP, Booker T, Scott Steiner, Bret Hart, Harley Race Jr. Triple H, and couldn't ever pin Kane, what chance does he have against an 8 time NWA champion, one of the most popular stars in history, and one of only 6 men inducted into every major recognized halls of fame? Not much.

Do the right thing. Vote Harley Race.

DDP has never beaten Goldberg.

Booker T got one pin off on Goldberg because of Ernest Miller interference.

That loss against Scott Steiner was in a NO DQ match.

HHH pinned Goldberg in a triple threat match after Kane chokeslammed him. Goldberg beat Harley Race Jr. for the world title and beat him again with a broken ankle.

And as Big Sexy says, he holds wins over Hogan, Lesnar, Sting, etc. So why can't he beat Race again?

Let's not act as if Goldberg never beat anyone of note. The man holds victories over Hogan, Sting, Rock, Lesnar, Triple H, and countless others big names. Not only has he beaten them all but he did it all completely clean. If you want to vote Race because of longevity and better legacy then go ahead but that's boring to me. This tournament is most fun (to me at least) voting based on kayfabe, and in a kayfabe match I've got Goldberg taking it.

But I always exaggerate Goldberg's victories. It's a tournament tradition. He never beat Hogan, Rock, or Lesnar. Just Mike Enos and Barry Horowitz.

Seriously though, of course Goldberg had some very good wins. I usually vote for him in the first round. There are still some second round guys I'd vote him over. Not Race though. I'm not always consistent in my voting. Sometimes it's legacy. Sometimes it's kayfabe. Sometimes it's who I like better (I usually at least try to stay away from that). Race has the better legacy. I could see him beating Goldberg kayfabe. I like him infinitely better. Race wins for me.

For what it's worth, I did enjoy Goldberg's initial run. But let's not good over the novelty of his "streak". The guy was supremely over as an unstoppable juggernaut, yet he ended up being the victim of tacky writing and kind of a one truck pony. How long did his career last between WCW and WWE? Five years or so? Then you have Harley Race, who was as tough as they came with a stellar career to match. The guy could put on a clinic when he wanted to. I'm voting Race.

Goldberg was great & WCW sure lucked out with him catching the world on fire like he did, but I remember something about Goldberg that is an issue here. Time. The longer Goldberg went, his weaknesses became visible. He is explosive and strong, but I remember him running out of gas and looking vulnerable against the bigger names the longer he went. He did well for as green as he was, but against someone like Race- his inexperience could be a huge problem.

Race is too smart to just stand in the way of a truck. He would take his time, play dirty & force Goldberg to play his game. A mistake here, missed spear or two & anything else Race can use to his advantage will take Goldberg's tank down to E & then he teaches Goldberg a lesson about who the tough guy really is.

I'm torn in this one. Race is obviously the bigger legend, with the better resume, longevity and legacy, as well as being one of the toughest men to ever get in the ring. But, Goldberg was pretty much unstoppable in his prime. He beat EVERYONE, and usually in dominant fashion.

He's beaten Triple H, Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Brock Lesnar, The Giant, and so many other major names in the industry, why couldn't he take down Harley Race?

I'm going to take time to consider this one before I vote as in his dominant run, Race could quite easily have been another name on the list of Goldberg's victims but I could also see Harley using his intelligence to get the win over da man.

I need to think about this

Harley Race was exposed when he went to the WWF. He was a good champ when he travelled the states to the little local places but when he went to the big boys, he looked out-of-touch, couldn't keep up with most guys stamina-wise, speed-wise, strenght-wise. He was a mid-carder in the WWF andd looked terrible, had a lame moveset.

This was 1985.

Now imagine him facing Goldberg version 1998 with all his skills, speed and strenght. Race would be defeated in 25 seconds. Just like Nash beat Bob Backlund.

You cannot beat progress, baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back