WCW Houston, Round 1, Match 1: #2 The Undertaker vs. #63 The Great Khali

The Undertaker vs. Khali

• The Deadman

• The Punjabi Nightmare

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a bit to long for me to reply to. If Come Dine With Me wasn't on I'd possibly try it. But it was almost getting to the stage when I was going to star making serious posts. Quite frankly that would be a ridiculous thing for me to do and I wouldn't enjoy it.

But anyway I really do think that The Great Khali beat The Undertaker when both were in their primes. A prime can last for a matter of weeks and Khali was incredibly dominant for at leats 3 months. In that three months he went over everybody he came into contact with. I also think there has never been a better Undertaker than there has been from 2005-2009.

I'm confident people will see the light and in between voting for Brutus ''The Barber'' Beefcake they'll take the time to vote for Khali. Thank you for your time.

Khali has only ever beaten Undertaker once.

ever since then Undertaker has come out on top.
Last Man Standing, No Holds Barred (on smackdown and no weapons were used so u can say it was really a gloryfied singles match)
and the Elimination Chamber match.

so i see Khali getting the earlier advantage and then Undertaker getting the win with the Hells Gates.

Simply, in the only singles match that these two have ever been in together, Khali manhandled The Undertaker. Sure, the Undertaker may have won in gimmick matches later, but this isn't a gimmick match. There is nothing that can be said as to why Undertaker should go over Khali. He shouldn't. Keep on voting Khali.

If I'm not mistaken, that picture was taken from a match where it was No Holds Barred. The match Khali won was a classic one-on-one matchup...like the one in this tournament is.

I believe that's the difference.

Unless the Gogoplata is barred, how can he not use it to win?

If Undertaker can take down Kane in his prime, Mark Henry in his prime, Kurt Angle in his prime, and Randy Orton at any time, how can he not beat Khali?

The only real threat to Undertaker in this bracket is the winner of the Funk v. Yokozuna match that's coming down the road.

Unless the Gogoplata is barred, how can he not use it to win?

Depends when do you think his prime is? Before 2007? If so then he hasn't started using it yet.

If Undertaker can take down Kane in his prime,

He only beat him after 3 Tombstones.

Mark Henry in his prime,

When the fuck was Mark Henry's prime?

Mark Henry probably put himself down, he ran into the corner and just collapsed.

Kurt Angle in his prime,

He didn't.

and Randy Orton at any time,

Orton isn't nowhere near as dominat now as Khali was in 2006.

how can he not beat Khali?

Watch Judgemnt Day 2006 for the answer.

The only real threat to Undertaker in this bracket is the winner of the Funk v. Yokozuna match that's coming down the road.

Not really. Taker vs. Funk would be a squash in the polls and Taker has beaten Yoko enough times for him to move him aside.

Taker lost the first showdown to Khali. Since then Khali has done jack to Taker. Taker will find a way to win this match. Whether he uses the Devil's Gate or Chokeslams Khali, he will win this match. People can argue all they want about Khali advancing and they have a good point, but Taker, to me is too good to lose to Khali and will find a way to get it done.

[youtube]Eibk74qbZis [/youtube]
[youtube]BTaSqhkFRrk[/youtube]
[youtube]zg06BJj6v5U[/youtube]​

I don't know how anybody can say that this incarnation of The Undertaker isn't in his prime. To paraphrase Roddy Piper ''He's big, but he's dumb''. This version isn't the slow Undertaker of of 1990-1996. He's not the emotional Undertaker of 1996-1997. He doesn't need to Paul Bearer or the power of the urn. He's the ultimate Undertaker. And Khali squashed him.

I am in shock at how one-sided this vote is. I understand that The Undertaker is The Undertaker, but as Jake pointed out, Khali squashed him when both were at their best. I'm not saying that this should be unanimous for Khali, but it should be close. In a regular match in a WCW ring, I truly believe that Khali would pin The Undertaker cleanly, with any one of his three finishers (Punjabi Plunge, Vice Grip, Brain Chop). He is just too big and powerful for The Undertaker to beat without the help of weapons.

The thing i can't understand is all this talk about primes, and trying to distinguish when someone's prime was, but you also have people like Vince McMahon in this tournament. When was his prime?:headscratch:
Khali beat Undertaker at the peak of his own powers, but I really don't think that was at the peak of Undertaker's powers. I think you could pinpoint many stages in Undertaker's career where he was good enough to have beaten Khali in a 1-on-1. If you think about Khali's first loss in singles, it was by submission to Cena in 2007, (i think), and I believe Undertaker could have orchestrated a similar result. And I would also consider this still to be in his peak.
A scary thought is how far Khali, arguably one of the most hated superstars ever (and not because of his personality) could get if he pulls off this upset.

"In his match against The Undertaker at Judgment Day, Khali landed a series of blows to his opponent, and finally defeated The Undertaker with a kick to the head after receiving some illegal help from Daivari during the phase when The Undertaker had him under control."

I found this on wikipedia because i didnt want to watch the match but i thought i should get some info before i make my decision...
surely this blows the argument for khali away?

Taker learns from his opponents, he rarely makes the same mistakes twice, Taker would learn from their first one on one match, the match would have a similar ending to his match with Khali right here

[youtube]xR58gs1v7GM[/youtube]

If you vote for Khali as he was in his "prime" when he "beat" the Undertaker...then please also vote similarly in matches involving Giant Gonzalez, Giant Silva, Vladimir Kozlov, Gene Snitsky...and make sure Kane wins the whole tournament.

The logic that is being set forth to argue Khali over the Undertaker is 100% ridiculous and mistaken. If that win over Taker was Khali's "prime" then his prime was sad, indeed. Furthermore, it would just do further to show that Taker WASN'T in his prime at the time, as he lost to a very slow and overmatched Khali (Taker was in control of the match before outside interference).

One on one, with Khali in his prime and with Taker even NOT in his prime...Taker would take the match. With Taker in his prime...Khali doesn't have a chance.

OMG!! The Undertaker is like the bestest! All you guys should vote for him! He is so cool!

The fact is, Undertaker faced Khali is a singles match, Khali pounded him. Somehow, that gives Taker the advantage? Wrong, vote Khali here, it's the right thing to do.

OMG!! The Undertaker is like the bestest! All you guys should vote for him! He is so cool!

The fact is, Undertaker faced Khali is a singles match, Khali pounded him. Somehow, that gives Taker the advantage? Wrong, vote Khali here, it's the right thing to do.

TAKER HAS BEATEN KHALI IN A SINGLES MATCH MORE RECENTLY, THAT IS WHY HE HAS THE FUCKING ADVANTAGE

I think you would agree with me that they were closer to their primes in the first match they had than any other match they have had recently, so Khali wins.

I think you would agree with me that they were closer to their primes in the first match they had than any other match they have had recently, so Khali wins.

No I wouldn't at all, and that is a horriable argument, Taker is capable of adapting his offense to beat anyone, he learns from his mistakes and uses them to his advantage the next time he steps into the ring with them, Taker could easily wear down Khali with submissions, he does know more than that one submission you know, he's very good at applying the the dragon sleeper and triangle choke as well, he also shows in the match I posted that he is capable of using his power against Khali as well, by chokeslaming the giant fucker, Taker is more than capable of beating Khali, who's offense has basically been the same since day one, making him incredibly easy for a seasoned vet like Taker to scout, and adapt his offense appropriately in order to defeat him, so Taker wins

Khali has beaten Undertaker, but Undertaker has beaten Khali.

Undertaker has a better record against Batista than Khali does.

Undertaker is faster than Khali.

Undertaker has more moves in his arsenal.

Undertaker has staying power, while Khali is a one-shot replacement gimmick. They do it all the time. Big guy comes in, beats a lot of people for a year, then starts losing. Has this happened to the Undertaker after all these years? Nope. He's stayed on top the whole time.

Weigh their finishing moves. Undertaker's Tombstone, Chokeslam, Last Ride, and submissions have defeated people for a long time. Khali's first major finishing move was a chop to the head, which is now relegated to being the equivalent of a solid punch that doesn't put anybody down for the 3, just down to the ground - MOST of the time.

Face it. Khali has never had anything going for him outside of WWE booking him to be better. If this is based on career worth, career tier placement, title reigns, quickness, versatility, (can go on and on), then Undertaker wins in all of them.

Undertaker shouldn't win, but he will. Obviously. I think you've all already gathered that.

When Khali beat 'Taker, the Deadman was just months removed from one of the matches of his career with Kurt Angle. He'd demonstrated that he was faster than he'd ever been, more agile than he'd ever been, more sadistic than he'd ever been, smarter than he'd ever been, stronger than he'd ever been and just plain better than he had ever been. And he lost to Khali in singles competition. Case closed.

Unfortunately, Khali's condition deteriorated rapidly after that match, allowing Undertaker to look somewhat superior on later occasions.

Reactions: gd
Why is everyone basing this on Khali beating Taker. It's gone the other way as well so does no-one remember that.

Khali - booked to the max because he's big and marketable in India. No other reason. What's he doing at present anyway? Nothing while Taker builds for another WM match.

Hometown Taker, he has WCW experience. Oh, and he's actually better than Khali after wrestling for 20 years. I think that should swing it for Taker.

Why is everyone talking about Khali being booked strong? Isn't this kayfabe? I could also argue that the only reason Taker is 16-0 at WM is because he's booked strong. After Khali faced Taker, his knees gave out, and he was never the same. However, at that time, Khali was clearly better than Taker.

When Khali beat 'Taker, the Deadman was just months removed from one of the matches of his career with Kurt Angle. He'd demonstrated that he was faster than he'd ever been, more agile than he'd ever been, more sadistic than he'd ever been, smarter than he'd ever been, stronger than he'd ever been and just plain better than he had ever been.

So when the Undertaker lost to Kurt Angle, he was better than when he won against Hulk Hogan? There is a massive difference between somebody's peak in terms of how well they were doing against people, and how good their matches are. The undefeatable Taker of the past may have bee poor in the ring, but he was winning all of the time. Taker wins.

Even thought Taker was poor in the ring he was winning all the time? Same with Khali. He may have sucked in the ring, but he was winning, includin Annhilating Taker.

However, It seems as if this match has become a lost cause, off to go argue in the Santino v. Piper thread.

The thing i can't understand is all this talk about primes, and trying to distinguish when someone's prime was, but you also have people like Vince McMahon in this tournament. When was his prime?:headscratch:

That'd be when McMahon was at his best, so about 1999.

Khali beat Undertaker at the peak of his own powers,

Yes, yes he did.

but I really don't think that was at the peak of Undertaker's powers.

When would that be then? I haven't heard anybody give a specific time.

I think you could pinpoint many stages in Undertaker's career where he was good enough to have beaten Khali in a 1-on-1.

Not really. That'd be 2007, when he was at his most succesful. Top of the card with the world title. You could go for 1997, but he wasn't as high up the card as he was in 2007.

If you think about Khali's first loss in singles, it was by submission to Cena in 2007, (i think), and I believe Undertaker could have orchestrated a similar result.

But he didn't. Anyway, Cena only beat Khali because he'd been on ECW wrestling jobbers. He was ill prepared and his knees were almost fucked by then.

And I would also consider this still to be in his peak.

See above. His peak was when he made his debut.

A scary thought is how far Khali, arguably one of the most hated superstars ever (and not because of his personality) could get if he pulls off this upset.

Not far.

"In his match against The Undertaker at Judgment Day, Khali landed a series of blows to his opponent, and finally defeated The Undertaker with a kick to the head after receiving some illegal help from Daivari during the phase when The Undertaker had him under control."

I found this on wikipedia because i didnt want to watch the match but i thought i should get some info before i make my decision...
surely this blows the argument for khali away?

A heel utalizing his manager? How dare he. Notice how heels hardly ever get caught doing anything illegal but faces do? Same thing applies here.

Taker learns from his opponents, he rarely makes the same mistakes twice, Taker would learn from their first one on one match, the match would have a similar ending to his match with Khali right here

[youtube]xR58gs1v7GM[/youtube]
[/quote]

Depends what the rules of the tournament are. Are we to assume that this tournament is the first ever match between Khali & The Undertaker.

If you vote for Khali as he was in his "prime" when he "beat" the Undertaker...then please also vote similarly in matches involving Giant Gonzalez, Giant Silva, Vladimir Kozlov, Gene Snitsky...and make sure Kane wins the whole tournament.

I did for Gonzalez. If Kozlov was in the tournament then I would to. But not Snitzky, his wins were fluke.

The logic that is being set forth to argue Khali over the Undertaker is 100% ridiculous and mistaken.

Not really.

If that win over Taker was Khali's "prime" then his prime was sad, indeed.

Why? Because he's a poor worker?

Furthermore, it would just do further to show that Taker WASN'T in his prime at the time, as he lost to a very slow and overmatched Khali (Taker was in control of the match before outside interference).

I've yet to hear anybody give a real reason why Taker wasn't in his prime.

One on one, with Khali in his prime and with Taker even NOT in his prime...Taker would take the match. With Taker in his prime...Khali doesn't have a chance.

But he didn't. He lost. FACT.

TAKER HAS BEATEN KHALI IN A SINGLES MATCH MORE RECENTLY, THAT IS WHY HE HAS THE FUCKING ADVANTAGE

THIS IS KHALI IN HIS PRIME IN A ONE ON ONE MATCH WITH REGULA RULES.

No I wouldn't at all, and that is a horriable argument, Taker is capable of adapting his offense to beat anyone, he learns from his mistakes and uses them to his advantage the next time he steps into the ring with them,

Yeah, pretty sure each of the matches should be viewed as if they're the first one-on-one encounter.

Use that for a minute and you'll find that Taker very rarely figures out the big guys straight away. It's safe to say he's a little slow.

Taker could easily wear down Khali with submissions, he does know more than that one submission you know, he's very good at applying the the dragon sleeper and triangle choke as well, he also shows in the match I posted that he is capable of using his power against Khali as well, by chokeslaming the giant fucker, Taker is more than capable of beating Khali, who's offense has basically been the same since day one, making him incredibly easy for a seasoned vet like Taker to scout, and adapt his offense appropriately in order to defeat him, so Taker wins

I'll ask Shocky how we should view the matches.

Khali has beaten Undertaker, but Undertaker has beaten Khali.

Broken record I know. But singles match, non gimmick, Khali in his prime. Khali won.

Undertaker has a better record against Batista than Khali does.

Undertaker lost that feud you know. Batista has pinned Undertaker more times than he's pinned Khali.

Batista vs. Undertaker, A History.

WrestleMania (Undertaker)
Backlash (No Contest)
Smackdown (Draw)
Cyber Sunday (Batista)
Survivor Series (Batista)
Armageddon (Edge)

There's probably more.

Undertaker is faster than Khali.

Not the 1990-1996 version.

Undertaker has more moves in his arsenal.

Bryan Danielson has more than Hulk Hogan.

Undertaker has staying power,

It must be why they take him off TV regularly and alter his character.

while Khali is a one-shot replacement gimmick.

He's only been around 3 years.

They do it all the time. Big guy comes in, beats a lot of people for a year, then starts losing.

What you're saying is that they're at their best when they're killing everybody. Gotcha.

Has this happened to the Undertaker after all these years? Nope. He's stayed on top the whole time.

Yes.

Weigh their finishing moves. Undertaker's Tombstone, Chokeslam, Last Ride, and submissions have defeated people for a long time.

You can eliminate tow of those finish moves. Nobody would honestly suggest he could get him up for a Tombstome or Last Ride.

Khali's first major finishing move was a chop to the head,

Head trauma. Kills a hell of a lot of people.

which is now relegated to being the equivalent of a solid punch that doesn't put anybody down for the 3, just down to the ground - MOST of the time.

And The Claw. Whuich was devistating when it was done by a Von Erich. I'll find the grapefruit video later.

Face it. Khali has never had anything going for him outside of WWE booking him to be better.

This is kayfabe. Booking isn't an issue.

If this is based on career worth,

No.

career tier placement,

Maybe.

title reigns,

Notice how none of the Khali fans feel the need to point that out. Not needed.

quickness,

Maybe, if somebody could pin down a rough prime for The Undertaker.

versatility, (can go on and on), then Undertaker wins in all of them.

Versatility is the only one I'll give you.

Why is everyone basing this on Khali beating Taker. It's gone the other way as well so does no-one remember that.

You haven't read much of the thread have you?

But people appear to be point to a match between The Undertaker and a broken down Khali. So those videos are unimportant.

The Great Khali prime defined: Debut 2006 - Loss to The Undertaker in a Last Man Standing Match 2006.

Ignore that loss, it was a gimmick match. Pretty much the only way Undertaker could beat him.

Khali - booked to the max because he's big and marketable in India. No other reason. What's he doing at present anyway? Nothing while Taker builds for another WM match.

So?

Hometown Taker, he has WCW experience. Oh, and he's actually better than Khali after wrestling for 20 years. I think that should swing it for Taker.

I'm not convinced.

So when the Undertaker lost to Kurt Angle, he was better than when he won against Hulk Hogan?

Yes. Kurt Angle beat Hulk Hogan as well you know. A lot easier too.

Undertaker beat Hogan with the help of Flair. That's fair enough, but Hogan beat him back a week later. He easily figured him out.

There is a massive difference between somebody's peak in terms of how well they were doing against people, and how good their matches are.

Match quality is umimprotant.

The undefeatable Taker of the past may have bee poor in the ring, but he was winning all of the time. Taker wins.

I'll be back.

When would that be then? I haven't heard anybody give a specific time.

I have. I said you could take either 1991 or 2008 as his prime. I'm going to say both, but you could pick either. He had two primes, like other some other wrestlers did, c.f. Hogan 1987 and Hogan 1996.

Not really. That'd be 2007, when he was at his most succesful. Top of the card with the world title. You could go for 1997, but he wasn't as high up the card as he was in 2007.

Khali beat him in 2006, when he wasn't very high up the card. Hisfeud with Khali was an extension of his feud with Daivari and Mark Henry. Hardly the main event mafia.

But he didn't. Anyway, Cena only beat Khali because he'd been on ECW wrestling jobbers. He was ill prepared and his knees were almost fucked by then.

If his knees were fucked 3 months after his feud with Taker ended, then you have to concede that he either had the shortest prime ever, or that he has a weakness to be exploited when he was in his prime.

See above. His peak was when he made his debut.

So was Undertaker's. Or it could have been last year. At either point he was better than Khali.

I think he woud probably beat Kidman. Maybe Jerry Lawler too. Which is quite deep for the number 63 seed.

A heel utalizing his manager? How dare he. Notice how heels hardly ever get caught doing anything illegal but faces do? Same thing applies here.

Well, The Undertaker in 1991 was a heel who used both Ric Flair and Paul Bearer to his advantage. Daivari is not as good as an urn with mystical powers, nor is he as good as Ric Flair. So he would be more than neutralised here.

Depends what the rules of the tournament are. Are we to assume that this tournament is the first ever match between Khali & The Undertaker.

If you are taking them both in their primes, then it'd be the first time Khali had fought Taker, and the first time that 1991 Taker had fought Khali but not the first time 2008 Taker had fought Khali. It is a philosophical headache in such a time free tournament.

I did for Gonzalez. If Kozlov was in the tournament then I would to. But not Snitzky, his wins were fluke.

Then do it for 1991 Undertaker too.

Not really.

I see the logic, but it is flawed.

Why? Because he's a poor worker?

Because his prime will have lasted less than 4 mnths, 2 months of which he was injured for.

I've yet to hear anybody give a real reason why Taker wasn't in his prime.

Because he hadn't won a world title for four years, which I think is one of the longest barren spells in his career. He had just been feuding with Mark Henry, and before that Kurt Angle, who he lost to. Since the previous Judgment Day he had only beaten Mark Henry, Muhammed Hassan and Orton on PPV. Orton was in a Hell in a cell match, so by the logic of everyone supporting Khali, we should only count when Orton beat him at Summerslam in a singles match.

But he didn't. He lost. FACT.

Yeah, he didn't win when he wasn't in his prime, I agree, but he would when he was.

THIS IS KHALI IN HIS PRIME IN A ONE ON ONE MATCH WITH REGULA RULES.

Against the Undertaker in his prime. The matches they've had don't support either side's argument because they have never fought when they were both in their primes.

Yeah, pretty sure each of the matches should be viewed as if they're the first one-on-one encounter.

I think you have to suspend reality for a minute and think about prime vs. prime it is possible that one person will have fought the other, but not the other way around. Taker 2008 had Khali figured out, Taker 1991 did not. I think Taker 1991 has a better chance against Khali 2006, so it is their first match, in my mind at least.

Use that for a minute and you'll find that Taker very rarely figures out the big guys straight away. It's safe to say he's a little slow.

With Khali, you just have brute power and strength. Taker 1991 could feel no pain. To have beaten him, you'd need a bit of intelligence, like when Hogan outwitted him by blinding him. Khali does not have that kind of ingenuity and wouldn't be able to find a way to beat him.

I'll ask Shocky how we should view the matches.

Let me know what the verdict on that one is.

Broken record I know. But singles match, non gimmick, Khali in his prime. Khali won.

Broken record, I know. But Undertaker was not in his prime.

Undertaker lost that feud you know. Batista has pinned Undertaker more times than he's pinned Khali.

Batista vs. Undertaker, A History.

WrestleMania (Undertaker)
Backlash (No Contest)
Smackdown (Draw)
Cyber Sunday (Batista)
Survivor Series (Batista)
Armageddon (Edge)

There's probably more.

As only singles matches count apparently, how many times did Batista beat Undertaker? Only when Austin was the referee. Survivor Series was a Hell in a Cell.

Not the 1990-1996 version.

Not sure about that. The Undertaker could run off the ropes, something tht Khali never does. Ever. He just stands in the middle of the ring. Undertaker 1991 may have been slow, but Khali doesn't move at all.

Bryan Danielson has more than Hulk Hogan.

But Khali relies on three moves. The Vice grip won't work because 1991 Taker is impervious to pain, and the chop won't work because wheneve 1991 Taker was hit with an urn, it didn't make him go down properly. The Khali bomb is the one move that he could try, I suppose. Even Undertaker 1991 has a lot more moves in his repetoire than Khali, and I think he'd win this.

It must be why they take him off TV regularly and alter his character.

No I think that's because he has transcended eras of wrestling. People didn't want supernatural characters in 2001, so they stopped him being one. The style in which he fights has hardly changed in that time, he has just become better to watch in doing it.

He's only been around 3 years.

How many matches has he had in the past year though? In 2006 he had to have time off for his enzymes, in 2008, he hardly wrestled at all, and I don't think he's been in ring once in 2009. His three years are closer to two of actual competition.

What you're saying is that they're at their best when they're killing everybody. Gotcha.

And 1991 Undertaker was better atkilling people than 2006 Khali.

Yes.

You can eliminate tow of those finish moves. Nobody would honestly suggest he could get him up for a Tombstome or Last Ride.

I'm sceptical that Khali could Khali Bomb the Undertaker, which means you are left with precisely 0 finishing moves for Khali against the Chokeslam.

Head trauma. Kills a hell of a lot of people.

If a copper urn can't do it, a hand can't.

And The Claw. Whuich was devistating when it was done by a Von Erich. I'll find the grapefruit video later.

Undertaker 1991: impervious to pain.

This is kayfabe. Booking isn't an issue.

Booking is more of an issue than anything else in kayfabe. In an actual fight Snitsky would decimate Shawn Michaels. We have to look at how they have been booked in the past to see how they would go over someone in this tournament.

No.

Maybe.

Notice how none of the Khali fans feel the need to point that out. Not needed.

By what criteria does Khali win though? The fact that he beat Undertaker when he was in a lull. That's it, it's all you have.

Maybe, if somebody could pin down a rough prime for The Undertaker.

I'm saying Survivor Series 1990-This Tuesday in Texas 1991. You could also argue Royal Rumble 2007-One Night Stand/Summerslam 2008.

Versatility is the only one I'll give you.

I'll give you strength.

You haven't read much of the thread have you?

But people appear to be point to a match between The Undertaker and a broken down Khali. So those videos are unimportant.

The Great Khali prime defined: Debut 2006 - Loss to The Undertaker in a Last Man Standing Match 2006.

Ignore that loss, it was a gimmick match. Pretty much the only way Undertaker could beat him.

Khali was beating The Undertaker at one of the lowest points in his kayfabe career. When the Undertaker does the same thing to Khali, it is somehow different. Double standards.

Khali was booked strongly so that people in India could see someone they could get behind. Once these fans were into the product, he went on to do pretty much nothing, apart from winning the title when almost all viable options were injured.

I'm not convinced.

I am. Vote Undertaker.

Yes. Kurt Angle beat Hulk Hogan as well you know. A lot easier too.

Are you seriously suggesting that Hogan in the 2000s was a patch on Hogan in 1991?

Undertaker beat Hogan with the help of Flair.

Khali was tied up in the ropes and getting repeatedly punched in the face until Daivari interfered. Khali's one thing he has going for him is this victory, and he'd never have managed it without Daivari.

That's fair enough, but Hogan beat him back a week later. He easily figured him out.

Hogan won by cheating and throwing ash in Taker's eyes. If that's figuring him out, then well done Hogan. Hogan is a far more resourceful performer than Khali. Khali is a big dumb giant, and that sort of person does not find a way to beat people if route one doesn't work, which it wouldn't on 1991 Undertaker.

Match quality is umimprotant.

Which is why Taker 1991, despite having much worse matches, is a shite sight better than Taker 2006.

I'll be back.

I look forward to that.

I have. I said you could take either 1991 or 2008 as his prime. I'm going to say both, but you could pick either. He had two primes, like other some other wrestlers did,

I'll pick 2008, when he had to take time out to recover from injuries.

c.f. Hogan 1987 and Hogan 1996.

That wasn't a prime for Hogan, he wasn't nowhere near as dominant.

Khali beat him in 2006, when he wasn't very high up the card. Hisfeud with Khali was an extension of his feud with Daivari and Mark Henry. Hardly the main event mafia.

It's placing on the card shouldn't come into play. This is an opening round match after all.

If his knees were fucked 3 months after his feud with Taker ended, then you have to concede that he either had the shortest prime ever, or that he has a weakness to be exploited when he was in his prime.

Why can't a wrestler have a short prime?

So was Undertaker's. Or it could have been last year. At either point he was better than Khali.
]

You'll have to bare with me, I'm in a rush and I can't scroll down to see what this relates to. So I'll just say that Undertaker in 2006 was the same athlete he was in 2008, only without the time off.

I think he woud probably beat Kidman. Maybe Jerry Lawler too. Which is quite deep for the number 63 seed.

I'm probably just going to skip most of this.

Well, The Undertaker in 1991 was a heel who used both Ric Flair and Paul Bearer to his advantage. Daivari is not as good as an urn with mystical powers, nor is he as good as Ric Flair. So he would be more than neutralised here.

Well Ric Flair isn't an issue in this match, it's not like there were a team. And Paul Bearer's job was practically falling over so the heels can steal the urn. Like you said, Undertaker of 1991 needed it. Good job Daivari has just stolen it. He's a former X-Division champ you know. But we'll ignore that.

If you are taking them both in their primes, then it'd be the first time Khali had fought Taker, and the first time that 1991 Taker had fought Khali but not the first time 2008 Taker had fought Khali. It is a philosophical headache in such a time free tournament.

:headscratch:

Then do it for 1991 Undertaker too.

When something like this crops up I'll do a *. It means I don't know what it's relasting to.

I see the logic, but it is flawed.

Obvioulsy, it's my logic.

Because his prime will have lasted less than 4 mnths, 2 months of which he was injured for.

Who Khali? Ok then his prime was his first two months, sorted. Anybody beat him in that time? Nope. Anybody dominate him in that time? Nope.

Because he hadn't won a world title for four years, which I think is one of the longest barren spells in his career. He had just been feuding with Mark Henry, and before that Kurt Angle, who he lost to. Since the previous Judgment Day he had only beaten Mark Henry, Muhammed Hassan and Orton on PPV. Orton was in a Hell in a cell match, so by the logic of everyone supporting Khali, we should only count when Orton beat him at Summerslam in a singles match.

Hassan is a brilliant example. Undertaker beat him in his prime. Sort pime, yes. But it was still his prime. Undertaker beat him, easily. It's almost the reverse situation we have right here.

Yeah, he didn't win when he wasn't in his prime, I agree, but he would when he was.

Against the Undertaker in his prime. The matches they've had don't support either side's argument because they have never fought when they were both in their primes.

How is the Undertaker of 2008 so different than the one of 2006? Other than the push they were recieving at the time.

I think you have to suspend reality for a minute and think about prime vs. prime it is possible that one person will have fought the other, but not the other way around. Taker 2008 had Khali figured out, Taker 1991 did not. I think Taker 1991 has a better chance against Khali 2006, so it is their first match, in my mind at least.

Taker 2008 had crippled Khali figured out, there's the difference. He doesn't have the benefit of hindsight in this match.

Khali closely resembles Giant Gonzalez. Another wrestler who Undertaker didn't figure out for months. Sure with 4 month prep time Taker might beat Khali. Shame he doesn't have that.

With Khali, you just have brute power and strength. Taker 1991 could feel no pain.

It doesn't hurt when you get knocked out. Doesn't mean you weren't flat on your back out of it.

To have beaten him, you'd need a bit of intelligence, like when Hogan outwitted him by blinding him. Khali does not have that kind of ingenuity and wouldn't be able to find a way to beat him.

The Undertaker of 1991 was probably the dumbest version of The Undertaker. He was outsmarted by Kamala in 1992. What changed in those couple of months?

Let me know what the verdict on that one is.

Broken record, I know. But Undertaker was not in his prime.

Please say in which way he was better in 2008 than he was in 2006.

As only singles matches count apparently, how many times did Batista beat Undertaker? Only when Austin was the referee. Survivor Series was a Hell in a Cell.

Along with two draws. Austin didn't play a part in the match, but I'll give you the HIAC. Even though Edge plated a part.

If we're going for tag matches I'll point out that undertaker was outsmarted in the 2007 No Way Out main event.

Not sure about that. The Undertaker could run off the ropes, something tht Khali never does. Ever. He just stands in the middle of the ring. Undertaker 1991 may have been slow, but Khali doesn't move at all.

It's like moving a tree with roots, I hope you'll agree.

But Khali relies on three moves.

Three devistating moves.

The Vice grip won't work because 1991 Taker is impervious to pain,

More fool him. If he doesn't quit and Khali keeps squashing, who'll come out on top?

and the chop won't work because wheneve 1991 Taker was hit with an urn, it didn't make him go down properly.

Yeah it did. He got up. But it took, oh I don't know, over three seconds at least.

The Khali bomb is the one move that he could try, I suppose. Even Undertaker 1991 has a lot more moves in his repetoire than Khali, and I think he'd win this.

I don't think we agree.

No I think that's because he has transcended eras of wrestling. People didn't want supernatural characters in 2001, so they stopped him being one. The style in which he fights has hardly changed in that time, he has just become better to watch in doing it.

Apart from in 2006?

How many matches has he had in the past year though? In 2006 he had to have time off for his enzymes, in 2008, he hardly wrestled at all, and I don't think he's been in ring once in 2009. His three years are closer to two of actual competition.

But nobody is saying that any version other than the Khali of that year could beat The Undertaker. The Khali of now just sin't in the equation.

And 1991 Undertaker was better atkilling people than 2006 Khali.

Like who? Khali killed the Undertaker, one of the biggest stars in the company. Undertaker pinned Hulk Hogan one week then lost the next. Both squashed some jobbers in between.

Yes.[/quot]

I'm sceptical that Khali could Khali Bomb the Undertaker, which means you are left with precisely 0 finishing moves for Khali against the Chokeslam.

That's just silly. Course he can. Who's stronger? Khali. There, sorted.

If a copper urn can't do it, a hand can't.

It's easier to hit somebody with a hand than it is an urn. Fact. Watch Paul Bearer hit Undertaker with it to prove how hard it is to hit people hard with it.

Undertaker 1991: impervious to pain.

Undertaker 1991, always knocked out and on his back.

Booking is more of an issue than anything else in kayfabe. In an actual fight Snitsky would decimate Shawn Michaels. We have to look at how they have been booked in the past to see how they would go over someone in this tournament.

So you agree that Khali was booked to beat the Undertaker with ease at Judgment Day 2006.

By what criteria does Khali win though? The fact that he beat Undertaker when he was in a lull. That's it, it's all you have.

You've called it a lull. Mark Henry isn't so big now, but he was close to winning the WHC around that time. It's only because he's so injury prone that he didn't.

I'm saying Survivor Series 1990-This Tuesday in Texas 1991. You could also argue Royal Rumble 2007-One Night Stand/Summerslam 2008.

Undertaker did a whole lot of nothing from 1990-1991 and he was getting outsmarted frequently in 2008.

I'll give you strength.

Khali was beating The Undertaker at one of the lowest points in his kayfabe career. When the Undertaker does the same thing to Khali, it is somehow different. Double standards.

It would be one of the lowest points of his career...if only he hadn't had all those other low points. Kama, King Kong Bundy, Kamala, Giant Gonzalez etc.

Khali was booked strongly so that people in India could see someone they could get behind. Once these fans were into the product, he went on to do pretty much nothing, apart from winning the title when almost all viable options were injured.

The whole of India behind him, intresting though.

I am. Vote Undertaker.

Vote Beefcake.

Are you seriously suggesting that Hogan in the 2000s was a patch on Hogan in 1991?

Seriously? You don't know me at all.

Buut I'd also say the Hogan of 1991 hasn't got anything on the Hogan of 1985.

Khali was tied up in the ropes and getting repeatedly punched in the face until Daivari interfered. Khali's one thing he has going for him is this victory, and he'd never have managed it without Daivari.

Couldn't the same be said for The Undertaker in 1991, with Paul Bearer?

Hogan won by cheating and throwing ash in Taker's eyes. If that's figuring him out, then well done Hogan. Hogan is a far more resourceful performer than Khali. Khali is a big dumb giant, and that sort of person does not find a way to beat people if route one doesn't work, which it wouldn't on 1991 Undertaker.

You seem to be forgetting that The Undertaker was a big dumb giant. One that needed the power of an urn to help him.

Which is why Taker 1991, despite having much worse matches, is a shite sight better than Taker 2006.

I look forward to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back