Way To Bury The Entire Locker Room Vince

Usually, when something like this happens, I try to sit back and not overreact, but "what the fuck?" is the best I can do for this.

Maybe the rumored injury to Goldberg had something to do with this, but I'm leaning towards WWE and Vince using this match to revamp Lesnar. I have no shame in admitting I'm one of the bigger Lesnar fanboys on here, but I'm bored with him now. For the past year, all of his matches have been pretty underwhelming and boring, he's beyond stale, and Heyman's promos don't have the same effect, because Lesnar's more recent matches are forgettable. So I'm thinking Lesnar goes on some kind of rampage to work his way back to truly being The Beast Incarnate.

Maybe WWE will use this as some kind of wake up call in the storylines for Lesnar. He reached a point, where he got too cocky. He underestimated Goldberg, and look what happened. But the more I think about it, I'm not so sure it'll work. We're talking about a guy, who has a number of decisive wins over former world champions (well, Heyman played a part in Lesnar beating Punk, but still) and future Hall Of Famers. It's one thing if this happened at the hands of Reigns, Owens, or Rollins somewhere down the line, because you know WWE has long term plans for both guys, but Lesnar was just squashed by a guy, who hasn't wrestled in about twelve years?

As far as the match itself goes, it was a great shock. The Streak ending and tonight are the only times as a wrestling fan, where I can remember genuinely being shocked and speechless. The crowd went nuts, and nobody saw this coming. Good stuff, but I'm more interested in the fallout and waiting to see how this all plays out, and it's a real quagmire, if you stop and think about it.

If Brock returns to pre-Supex City Lesnar with more momentum (it'll take a while, especially when you consider Brock's schedule) to have someone else beat him further down the road, then there's nothing to worry about. But if it's one and done for Goldberg, and he rides off into the sunset after this, and nothing changes for Brock, then I honestly don't see the point of this. Also, depending on WWE's plans for Lesnar, you have to worry about the big problem with irreversible damage after tonight. It's going to take more than one good or great match and a dominant performance to pass this off as a fluke. Problem is, Lesnar holds decisive victories over Triple H, The Undertaker, Randy Orton, and John Cena, and every full time wrestler on the roster is nowhere near the upper echelon.

I think the goal was to get everyone talking and guess what its worked. I honestly have no issue with this because one it doesn't kill Brock's aura and two if they were going to bring Goldberg back then do it in this manner.

Also it's been reported Goldberg will be at the 2017 Royal Rumble.

Not having to see two minute long squash main event matches is the reason I watch WWE. May as well start watching UFC if I want there to be a chance the main event lasts a shorter time than my morning piss.

This isn't Hardy/Sting, but still frustrating.

I wonder if Brock and Vince had a disagreement and this is the result. :shrug:

Thats fair.

But there was a long term plan in mind for Lesnar. They had him beat Taker for a reason regardless of whether or not everyone agreed with it. A booking reason.

Whats the plan for Goldberg now that he's knocked off Lesnar? Where does WWE go from here? So now it's just known that Lesnar can't beat Goldberg? Ok. Unless Goldberg is sticking around and going to do some more stuff in the ring, why did we need to know that he's superior to Brock? I just don't understand what the point of it was.

Because it shows that Brock isn't unbeatable, better than having him lose to a young guy would.

Think of it this way. Let's say Samoa Joe had debuted on the main roster, and he was the guy who beat Brock Lesnar tonight. What does that say? Beginner's luck? Anyone can get lucky on any given night.

But Goldberg...this is a guy who's now beaten Brock Lesnar, clean, in the middle of the ring, twice. He's the guy that Brock CAN'T beat. That makes Lesnar's mystique of being invincible go away, and that's a good thing.

Because it shows that Brock isn't unbeatable, better than having him lose to a young guy would.

Think of it this way. Let's say Samoa Joe had debuted on the main roster, and he was the guy who beat Brock Lesnar tonight. What does that say? Beginner's luck? Anyone can get lucky on any given night.

But Goldberg...this is a guy who's now beaten Brock Lesnar, clean, in the middle of the ring, twice. He's the guy that Brock CAN'T beat. That makes Lesnar's mystique of being invincible go away, and that's a good thing.
How is it a good thing ? What's the point of having him show up a few times a year if he's just another guy ? The reason him showing up once in a while works is BECAUSE of the mystique. When the "young guy" or whoever would have beaten him that would have ended the mystique. The mystique wouldn't be needed any more since he would be on his way out and the guy who beat him would be known as the guy who finally was able to beat the unbeatable and slay the beast. It's not like it would be just some random guy. It was something that would have been built up.

Wow, I'm so shocked the internet is overreacting to this...

Goldberg's win was about strategy, not dominance. He shocked Lesnar by shoving him to the ground and when Brock's back was turned, Goldberg hit him with a spear. People really need to learn the value of context.

The next time they face off, Lesnar will kill him and the internet can go back to bitching about how unfairly dominant Lesnar is and how he's holding down a bunch of people who can't draw money anyhow.

This is entertainment. That was entertaining. The average attention span is about 10% of what it was 30 years ago. Building guys for the long haul isn't nearly as important as it was back then. I truly believe John Cena is the last "the guy" we're ever going to see. Part-timer here, a flash-in-the-pan there, etc. If you draw, you draw. I think the waiting around for someone to draw is over.

This is to no one in particular but I just have one question. How is this a slap in the face of the Taker?

I ask because that all anyone seems to care about after Goldberg's win. The streak ended 2 and a half years ago. Since then, Orton, Cena 2x, Ambrose and Reigns have all lost to Brock and their careers seem to not have missed a beat. Hell, Dean actually won a championship since losing to Lesnar. So I'll ask again, how does this lose hurt Taker? Because the guy who beat the Deadman completely underestimated a guy who actually beat him in his last match 12 years ago?

If this was UFC and it was similar big names involved (i.e. Chael Sonnen) and this result happened (say a lucky right hand knock out) most would be calling it the upset and fight of the century. Why can't something like that happen in a scripted fight that will more than likely lead to a bigger fight or payday for Goldberg? If Brock would've destroyed Bill then most of you complaining would ask "what was the purpose of bring him back and feeding to lazy Lesnar". WWE did something most said they lost touch of, which is providing unpredictability.

Please, for the love of God, sit back, relax and wait for the payoff instead of wanting to know the ending 10 minutes into the movie.

Wait a second, didn't Undertaker beat Brock with a choke out submission and win during their three match feud? (Even though there was controversy-dirty tactics) That right there shows you Brock can be beat and that this is just another loss on his record.

No, It wasn't a way to bury the entire roster.

Roster was being buried by Brock Lesnar himself. He squashed the likes of The Undertaker, Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, Randy Orton and John Cena. That's what burial is. Those were some horrible decisions. Not this.

It was great to watch Brock Lesnar getting BrockLesnar'ed himself.

There is only ONE reason why Lesnar got buried tonight. The NAC is going to suspend Lesnar for PEDs in the very near future for 2 years. That means unless Rousey or McGregor come over from UFC, there is ZERO cross-marketing between the WWE and UFC. They would NOT have someone who has not stepped into a ring in 12 years, ESPECIALLY if they spent those 12 years constantly badmouthing VKM and the WWE, squash someone like Goldberg squashed Lesnar, unless that someone did something SPECTACULARLY stupid. Period.

How is it a good thing ? What's the point of having him show up a few times a year if he's just another guy ? The reason him showing up once in a while works is BECAUSE of the mystique. When the "young guy" or whoever would have beaten him that would have ended the mystique. The mystique wouldn't be needed any more since he would be on his way out and the guy who beat him would be known as the guy who finally was able to beat the unbeatable and slay the beast. It's not like it would be just some random guy. It was something that would have been built up.

Him showing up works for you and for casual fans. There are just as many fans who didn't care, because we never bought into the mystique because we know better. Brock was ALWAYS just another guy. But now the casuals will see it to, and that's the important thing. Having Brock booked as unbeatable was wrong, and now a wrong has been righted. It's all positive.

Wait a second, didn't Undertaker beat Brock with a choke out submission and win during their three match feud? (Even though there was controversy-dirty tactics) That right there shows you Brock can be beat and that this is just another loss on his record.

The finish at SummerSlam just solidified Lesnar as even more invincible than he was before. The Undertaker had to cheat to win. Let me repeat that - the motherf*cking UNDERTAKER had to CHEAT to beat Lesnar. It put Lesnar over as an unstoppable god and make Undertaker look like a pitiful weakling. Only casuals can't see that.

Listen, all of you people judging the result, just see the creativity behind this. Lesnar has never, ever beaten Goldberg. Goldberg winning last night shows that he's still a monster. Lesnar's accomplishments are not gone people, because frankly even after all these years, Lesnar is still isn't on Goldberg's level.

So for the first time in ages, Lesnar has someone to conquer. Someone stronger than him. Lesnar has someone he must overcome.

I actually think this is the perfect booking in a situation where Goldberg goes over in terms of realism. Goldberg winning in a 15 minute fight with Lesnar is completely unrealistic. However, this was the equivalent of a powerful guy "one punching" the better fighter when his guard was down. Brock did a very good job both selling his dismissal of Goldberg after the shove and the announcers kept played the broken rib angle, which I thought Brock sold well. In the non-kayfabe world, this is the only way Goldberg could have won.

I think this also opens up some opportunities for Brock's character. First, it gives him legitimate time away. Just have him go AWOL, whether in shame or healing. After the first few weeks, don't even mention him on air, and have him enter the Rumble (best spot for surprise entries), where he can demolish everyone and have a new motivation for seeking the title and dominance. Have him overreact to any mention of the match, demolishing announcers, interviewers, etc. Get the edge back he had early in his return.

Also, if you wanted to take the arc further. You could have him win the Rumble and win the Championship at Mania, leading to Goldberg's final match (if he is willing) at Summerslam, where Brock goes over him in a proper back and forth match.

Goldberg defeated Brock Lesnar at Survivor Series tonight in less than 90 seconds. The entire match consisted of Lesnar picking Goldberg up & slamming him into a corner, Goldberg no selling, shoving Lesnar onto the mat, hitting him with a spear with Lesnar selling it like he'd just gotten gut shot with a shotgun, and Goldberg delivering a jackhammer for the three count. The result is that Vince McMahon ultimately just made pretty much every guy in WWE look like crap compared to a guy who not only hasn't wrestled in some 12 years, but was never all that good at it in the first place.

If Vince McMahon set out to make every major star in WWE of the past 15 years impotent, he couldn't have succeeded better tonight if Lesnar had went into the match hogtied and blindfolded. It's not that Goldberg won the match so much in that...well it was a friggin' squash match for God's sake. A squash match in which he decimated the guy who came out on top in feuds against Taker, Rock, Edge, Angle, Big Show, Triple H, CM Punk, Randy Orton, the Wyatt Family, Seth Rollins, Roman Reigns, Dean Ambrose.

I know you hate Vince McMahon. Your every post is basically about how how Vince is wrong.

I think it was nicely done, although it could have been a bit longer ala Cena-Lesnar SS 14.

This finally humanizes Brock Lesnar. The whole thing about Brock dominating and going over the entire roster was growing stale. This can open up several avenues which will allow them to book him more freely without worrying about the consequences.

For me, it was a trip down memory lane to WCW Goldberg and his streak.

Brock has done a lot wrong in recent months... The PED ban could actually affect if he can appear for WWE in some ways... I believe there is a way they can prevent him wrestling... Also he went off page with Orton and behaved badly after the match... Whatever they said, he was t meant to damage Orton that way... This is the end of Brocks special status... He stays, he's one of the boys only... He'll lose when he's told, do as he's told or they won't renew and this is his legacy... And he will sign for less of course...

Nothing to do with Vince burying the roster... Its burying SuperBrock once and for all backstage...

I think everyone is over looking the very obvious reason that Goldberg went over Brock in a match built-up as the Main Event in a Great PPV Event in an outstanding weekend for WWE Wrestling fans. It was long rumored that Goldberg was headed into this match a Broken Man, that He had sustained several nagging injuries leading up to the Event. Brock is known for being very aggressive and rough, I truly don't know if Goldberg's body could handle the type of abuse Brock would put it through. So I believe The WWE made the best of an horrible situation and called an audible. Instead of canceling a much anticipated Main Event Match that could have made The PPV spiral down the drain, They put together a match that BOTH Men were capable of preforming.

As We all know Wrestling is not real... I don't believe this had anything to do with Brock's failed PED test or even punishment for being overassertive in the Randy Orton Match. Why would The WWE be angry with He for fully embracing The Character He portrays. The truth is The WWE saw an opportunity to add some much-needed Pop-Shock in Our lives. Look at the presented facts Both Men were pretty underwhelmed with Their lackadaisical first effort against one another at Wrestlemania so I for one assumed We would get a lazy back and forth affair from a washed-up has-been and a Man-Monster who seemingly has forgotten all of His prior Wrestling training and just tosses people around, but instead for the first time in a long time I find Myself flabbergasted at what transpired in tonight's Main Event. So I thought about it logically for a second and My Goldberg injury theory is the only thing the makes sense.

I understand why people have such fond memories of Goldberg, I actually like Him too (Maybe closer to twelve years ago.) But there is NO WAY He should have ended Brock's reign of terror, there are so many current relevant and deserving Superstars that could have used that type of rub. Now They have put Goldberg in a very advantageous position to take home an even bigger undeserved payday. I do believe as stated before this opens up new avenues for Brock, but He has been booked one way for soooo long who's to say if He will have the same impact. I don't have a problem with how He lost or even that He lost My problem is with who He lost to, a Man who care even less about The Wrestling Business then Brock, a Man that has gone out of His way to verbally desimate The WWE every chance He got. They reward all that loyalty by feeding Him Their top draw.

Stated above Someone stated that this was the only way for Brock to lose realistically but IMO having Samoa Joe debut after becoming The first two-time NXT Champion and having an incredible Match with yet another credible Champion like Shinsuke Nakamura would have been the perfect time to have Him go over on Brock. IMO that sounds WAY more realistic then a random legend from the past who hasn't wrestled in twelve long years to not only come out of retirement but to dominate and squash a Man that was billed as unbeatable.

But again I believe it was an audible nothing more nothing less...

Pure money move. 100% Based on this I have to assume that Goldberg has already agreed to appear at Wrestlemania and it will be Brock v. Goldberg, the final match.

Other than that it makes no sense. Let's assume that Goldberg is one of best wrestlers of all time, buying into the kayfabe character. Okay. He just squashed the only person who has been able to defeat the Undertaker at WM. He just squashed the person who utterly destroyed the entire main event roster. He just squashed the person who manhandled John Cena, the face and superman of WWE for the past decade. Not only that, he made him look week. A 50 year old man who hasn't stepped in a ring in over a decade to wrestle, did that.

The only reasons I can think that this came as a squash is a) someone is hurt, or b) they're going to play it off that Brock underrated him. I suppose maybe a c option is that this is the only scenario in which Goldberg would return. Other than that I simply cannot understand why they did it this way.

Absolutely terrible

I didn't watch the ppv, I watched the "whole" match after the fact. I didn't have enough interest in it in the first place. I don't care if they have yet another terrible match at Wrestlemania. This is just straight bad booking, doesn't matter if Lesnar goes over at WM unless he beats him for 20 minutes straight and Goldberg gets zero offense...and even then..

They should have just brought Goldberg back and had him Squash anyone who's name wasn't Brock Lesnar. Kayfabe wise Goldberg is now the greatest wrestler of all time...if we're "lucky" he'll wrestle one more match just to still be 2-1 against Lesnar and then he'll ride off into the sunset.
Unless of course Goldberg is going to be wrestling at every PPV for the next few months (not holding my breath) this was the worst thing they could have done. Years of build flushed down the drain..

This is likely going to go down as one of the biggest mistakes WWE has ever made.

Again, Kayfabe wise Goldberg is the greatest wrestler of all time...what the fuck Vince............

I think that this happened because 2K wanted Goldberg to promote the video game, and WWE make money off WWE2K17 as well, so agreed to it.

However, Goldberg probably agreed to do the match only IF he won, and won in the manner he did.

Goldberg isn't contracted to WWE, so he doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to do. They want him for a match, so they must agree to his terms, or he doesn't do the match.

None of you thought that Goldberg would agree to come back to get squashed by Lesnar, did you?

Brock took Goldberg lightly and that's the story of the match. He made a mistake early on in the natch and Bill punished him for it with two spears. There's life left in this feud yet, there's no way that Goldberg is done in the WWE. And for proof of that, watch him as he celebrated on the turnbuckle and mouths "I'm back". I have every confidence that this match will happen again with Heyman saying that lightning doesn't strike twice and this time Lesnar won't underestimate Goldberg.

Truthfully, this doesn't make any less sense than Brock being the one to end The Undertaker's streak. I say this because much like Lesner after beating Taker, there's little chance of Goldberg ever being more than a part timer, a special guest star, if you will. And when it comes to major victories like this, whatever the reason, they should be used to put over a current full timer.

Doesn't bury anything. The moment was a legit shock to the WWE world. Sure it stains Brock's unbeatable armor that's been built up for the last couple of years but it's nothing that can't be immediately fixed.

If Goldberg's appearance is a one shot here then it was a brilliant move. It gave us that nostalgic, shocking moment to end Survivor Series. Brock can come out on Raw and beat the crap out of everyone for the first 30 minutes until he's fired.

That's the whole problem. The problem isn't that Lesnar needs to "get his heat back." It's that Brock Lesnar, who for the last 2-3 years has been booked as an untouchable, unstoppable monster, just got squashed like the old Brooklyn Brawler by Goldberg. NExt to Goldberg, Lesnar is trash.

Which makes everyone that Lesnar beat EXTRa trash.

I'm less upset at how this makes the rest of the roster look weak by comparison, and more upset that a new main eventer didn't get the rub. I was waiting for Joe or Nakamura (Japanese Brock Lesnar) to come up to the main roster and knock Lesnar off his perch. I was waiting for The Streak to make a new star, like it should have when it was broken. If figures that if it couldn't do it directly, it would through Lesnar. Beating the guy that broke the streak would be the next best thing. Instead they gave it to Goldberg. A guy that didn't deserve it. A guy that was winded at the end of his minute and a half match. A guy that is 50 years old, is noticably grey, and simply isn't worth the investment beyond the one match. All for a big surprise moment. Shitting all over long term booking.

For those trying to say that Brock is being punished, you're being silly. They would have fed him to Orton if they actually gave a damn about his drug failings. They don't care. They just wanted a big surprise to make the ppv feel big. And I suppose they accomplished that. But in doing so, they've failed once again to capitalize on an opportunity to make a new main event we, or rocket a current one to John Cena levels.

I know you hate Vince McMahon. Your every post is basically about how how Vince is wrong.

I think it was nicely done, although it could have been a bit longer ala Cena-Lesnar SS 14.

This finally humanizes Brock Lesnar. The whole thing about Brock dominating and going over the entire roster was growing stale. This can open up several avenues which will allow them to book him more freely without worrying about the consequences.

For me, it was a trip down memory lane to WCW Goldberg and his streak.

No, I don't hate Vince McMahon. I do think he's out of touch at times with modern fans and, to me, this is something of an example of that. A lot of the time, I see comparisons between stars of today and Attitude Era stars and why so many prefer the stars of the Attitude Era; There are times in which Vince goes out of his way to further establish the dominance of Attitude Era stars at the expense of modern stars and last night was a prime example of that. Lesnar has run roughshod through modern stars and rather than give a rub to a modern star by having said star be the one to ultimately and decisively defeat Brock Lesnar, Vince brings back a 50 year old star of the Attitude Era who hasn't wrestled in 12.5 years and has him decimate "the beast" that's decimated every modern star he's been put in the ring with in under 2 minutes.

I'm not the type to overreact whenever a ppv goes down, I usually defend WWE's decisions as they're part of the bigger picture. As someone else stated, however, this struck me as an example of the bigger picture being sacrificed for the moment and that's something Vince didn't do once upon a time. He gave a lot of Attitude Era junkies a brief nostalgia moment at the expense of using the build up that Lesnar has gotten since returning to the WWE to elevate guys who're going to be carrying the company for the next decade or so. Much like the streak, if they wanted to have Lesnar job in 2 minutes, I'd be fine with that if it was someone who's career would benefit from doing it rather than giving yet another huge moment to a relic of the Attitude Era.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back