The Curse of Leaving the WWE a Loser

Status
Not open for further replies.

THEpapachamp

YOUR POST IS GONNA GET GOT!!!
CM Punk, the hot commode of the moment within the WWE after his groundbreaking promo last night at RAW. He plans to leave the WWE at Money in the Bank PPV not only a winner but WWE Champion.

When was the last time Vince McMahon has let this happen, let's look back.

Shawn Michaels - Leaves a loser to the Undertaker

Ric Flair - Leaves a loser to Shawn Michaels

Batista - Leaves a loser to John Cena

JBL - Leaves a loser to Rey Mysterio

The Rock - Leaves a loser to Goldberg then again to Evolution

Stone Cold Steve Austin - Leaves a loser to The Rock

Jeff Hardy - Leaves a loser to CM Punk

Bret Hart - Leaves a loser to Shawn Michaels (Don't count the WM match with Vince)

Mick Foley - Leaves a loser to HHH then again to Evolution then again to Flair

Brock Lesnar - Leaves a loser to Goldberg

Goldberg - Even tho he beat Brock Lesnar he still left a loser!

Tommy Dreamer - Leaves a loser to Zack Ryder

Chris Jericho - Leaves a loser to John Cena then punted off by Orton

And many many more..

The only person I can say that have left the WWE a winner in recent memory is Edge & only because it wasn't planned.

So my point is..

Will CM Punk break this curse? or will he go out of WWE the same way everyone else has?

Punk wins the match. Del Rio cashes in his Money In The Bank title shot and wins the belt off Punk. Vince celebrates with Del Rio because he "saved" his company's title. We have Vince with Del Rio for a while with a storyline of Cena getting unfired somehow and...

Del Rio vs Cena at Summerslam for the title... just like we've been hearing for months.

Kinda obvious actually.

So yeah, Punk will go out a winner, but then a loser.

We'll see him back in WWE after a short break.

Agreed with the guy above.

The storyline fits and I feel by this time next year Punk will be back. Look, WWE need Punk. I don't care what Vince thinks, WWE need him. He is a draw. They'll say he can come back and finish and 10x Champion. Not saying it'll happen, just on those lines which is what they'd probably do.

It's not a "curse" it's a part of the business.

Jobbing on your way out is passing the torch in a sense, and letting somebody else benefit from your departure. Granted a few of those examples mentioned didn't need it (Michaels losing to Taker, Austin to Rock, etc.) but going out on your back is a tradition.

Punk is the ONLY good thing going on Raw right now. They should hand him anything he wants to stay. Cena sells but he really is the modern day Hulk Hogan. A few moves and stale. Nothing against the guy as he is a hard worker but one day I'm waiting for him to come out and tell the kids to say your prayers, take your vitamins.

Honestly I used to HATE MIZ but he was a better champion entertainment wise than Cena.

Back to Punk. I think he will go out champion and I hope they dont do a lame MIB winner wins right after. Been there, done that. Would be better if he just threw the belt out in the trash live in RAW and walked away.

I don't see this as a curse. These were apart of storylines, as is everything with C.M. Punk. It's called putting someone over, not being placed into a cursed box. Everyone on the list were placed into these matches due to storylines where the person who beat them continued on, whereas the "loser" left the company, some for good, some to return later on. How many times has Ric Flair lost a "loser leaves" or "retirement" match? Several times. He even lost one to Hulk Hogan back in 1994 during Hogan's initial run in WCW. There's no curse. There are point where a superstar either gets ready to retire (as in JBL's, Shawn Michaels & Batista's case), and they go out during a match to advance the idea that they are leaving the company. And then there's superstars who leave the company for a short amount of time, or however long it may be, but still, the same reasoning applies. In C.M. Punk's case, the storyline is so good because everyone knows he really has an expiring contract and that there's a big chance he will actually leave. He's not going to go to NJPW or ROH. Everyone knows WWE has a no-compete clause for their stars that doesn't allow them to compete for "rival promotions" for a certain amount of time. So sorry, he won't be breaking any curse, because the curse doesn't exist. lol

In reality though, its not called a curse, its called doing business. If you're going to leave the company, you should put the person over in your last match. It gives them a slight rub, and the wheel keeps spinning on down the road. Look at Bret Hart, if he would have agreed to just lost to HBK, he wouldn't be remembered as a bitter old man who couldn't let a grudge go, although he has reconstructed his image. You've got to do the job once you go. Otherwise how does it make the wrestler you're in a feud with look if you beat him, and then are gone the next day? It makes them look weak, and that's not something that should happen.

Edge doesn't count because of injury though.

Very impressive list of losers; however, one other wrestler who indeed "leave" the WWE as a winner was Trish Stratus with the Women's Title. The general census of last night's spectacular shoot from CM Punk is that it was approved by the McMahons (I use plural because not only Vince approved, but definitely Triple H and Steph). And we can start seeing the actual change of the guard occur with the gradual erosion of the PG era. I can see and really hope that CM Punk will go out as the WWE Champion and finally change the title to something more appealing (visually).

Punk wins the match. Del Rio cashes in his Money In The Bank title shot and wins the belt off Punk. Vince celebrates with Del Rio because he "saved" his company's title. We have Vince with Del Rio for a while with a storyline of Cena getting unfired somehow and...

Del Rio vs Cena at Summerslam for the title... just like we've been hearing for months.

Kinda obvious actually.

So yeah, Punk will go out a winner, but then a loser.

We'll see him back in WWE after a short break.

I don't know if it will be Del Rio or not, but I agree with this scenario big time.

Having to lose as you leave is a tradition, and I think it's normal operating policy unless there are circumstances that simply prevent it from happening, ie: Edge.

There's an old saying in the pro wrestling business that goes "Always go out on your back". To the best of my knowledge, the only ones who have been allowed to retire as champion are: Verne Gagne (owned the company he worked for), Edge (declared physically unfit to ever wrestle again) and Trish Stratus.

How awesome would it be if Punk after MITB wins the match and just throws the title away in a trash can!!! I forgot who said it but more than likely del rio will cash in his briefcase and defeat Punk for the title!! No way does Vince let Punk walk out of his company with the title!! When punk wins Can you imagine del rios music hits and punk already having the belt just shrugs his shoulders and walks out and throws the title in a trash can!! That would kick ass

what if Punk is not taking time off right now and has signed a contract. How much of a shock would it be to everyone if at the PPV Vince (or better steph) comes out and everyone thinks it's to stop Punk but really they cost Cena the Title then Vince comes out and tells Cena "I've been waiting a long time for this YOU'RE FIRED".

Then the PPV goes off the air with Punk having his arm raised by Mr. Mcmahon only to find out the whole thing was planned from the beginning to get rid of Cena? how shocked would you be?
I will be honest, I wouldn't be shocked... I would be disappointed.
If Punk wins and don't quit (keyfabe or not), everything about his promo loses a lot of power.

After all this build up, I believe Punk has to win against Cena and has to quit (keyfabe or not) the WWE. If he's quitting for real, then he'll lose the championship for the MitB winner. If he's quitting only in keyfabe, then perhaps he might actually leave the building with the belt.

I do like the idea of DelRio (or someone else) cashing in their briefcase on Punk with a McMahon at his side. Would much prefer to see Punk leave with the title though. Especially since the Smackdown! bout (Orton/Christian) does not have a fesiable opponent to cash in their briefcase that day (unless they put in Rhodes or Mark Henry as the winner in their bout). Highly unlikely though since there is barely a mound of hype regarding the WHC bout.

I do believe Punk is going to go out as champion. It is his hometown, and there was talk a few weeks ago about the title belt being redesigned after MITB. Sooo...if I were a betting man, I'd say he wins, and leaves with the belt.

It's not a "curse" it's a part of the business.

Jobbing on your way out is passing the torch in a sense, and letting somebody else benefit from your departure. Granted a few of those examples mentioned didn't need it (Michaels losing to Taker, Austin to Rock, etc.) but going out on your back is a tradition.

THIS!

stole the words from my mouth. Losing on your last match is acutally honorable as you will be like passing the will of fire. Oh and also why would you bury someone just to leave? better to elevate and leave.

chris jericho will be back!

-wow, when you put it that way, yeah, lots of guys lose, btw, goldberg and lesnar lost to stone cold steve austin if my memory is correct, didnt stone cold give the both of them stunners or something?

-i hope that cm punk leaves as champ, or maybe he decides to stay once he wins :D (but most likely not) and screw del rio he sucks and only has 10 years in him tops. wont be the face at any point and isnt a good wrestler, he has mic skills going for him, heel mic skills, he gets on the mic and i already cant wiait for him to get off it. oh and things can change in a flash, triple hhh was suposed to return at summerslam last year, but last second he didnt, then again at the RR. so things arent set in stone until they happen, you know how VKM is.

-most likely if punk wins then leaves the wwe belt will be up for grabs in a ladder match and someone wins it (cena might end up in it somehow), then we get cena trying to get back into the wwe or maybe he takes a lil break for a month then sneaks his way back onto the roster. then we get super cena back and possibly he is champ or cena wins, and punk gets screwed. its a 80 to 20 chance that punk wins, 20 being punks chances. sorry but thats most likely the case whether we like it or not (in this case being not).

Going out with a loss is just the way it has always been in wrestling, as you are "passing the torch" to someone who is remaining with the company after you leave. Why should you win on your final appearance with the promotion, who gains from that? Certainly not the company or your opponent.

It goes back to the days of the territories where a wrestler could finish up in Kansas, and then start in Memphis the week after afresh. There was no internet then so losses like that didnt matter, it was simply putting over a wrestler who was staying in Kansas and doing the right thing for the business.

It is still usually that way today, where a wrestler goes out on his back while giving the rub to the opponent to make them look better. There are a few exceptions but that is still usually the way business is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back