University of Missouri Football players go on strike

Con T.

Yaz ain't enough, I need Fluttershy
The University of Missouri Legion of Black Collegians released this statement last night, in the wake of multipleissues of racism have arisen on the school.

If you're wondering about this Tim Wolfe fellow is, watch him try to explain what he "thinks" systematic oppression is. For those that can't watch, here's a transcript:

Wolfe: “I will give you an answer, and I’m sure it will be a wrong answer.”

Someone in the crowd: “You gonna Google it?”

Wolfe: “I will give you an answer, and I’m sure it will be a wrong answer.”

Someone in the crowd: “Tim Wolfe, what do you think systematic oppression is?”

Wolfe: “It’s — systematic oppression is because you don’t believe that you have the equal opportunity for success — “

At this point, the crowd reacted negatively. Most of what Wolfe said next is inaudible. After a few seconds, he walks away.

Someone in the crowd: “Did you just blame us for systematic oppression, Tim Wolfe? Did you just blame black students —”

Then the video cuts off.

But for those that don't know, the man started his career at IBM, and made his way to the academic world with no background in academics, before becoming president of Missouri. Of course, there comes a point to be made about placing your academic values into the corporate model, and bringing in people like Tim Wolfe, who has no clue how to even begin to have an honest dialogue about campus climate that goes beyond touting whatever new bells and whistles have been added in any given year to attract more students (new multimillion dollar Rec Center! New suite style residence halls!), all while jacking tuition up and cutting benefits like health insurance to graduate students, most of whom teach several classes for next to nothing already.

Sorry, just a bit of a run on rant.

Anyway, the question becomes, what do you make of Missouri's actions? Is there a place for political statements in sports? And if you don't think there are, then why are you such a moron?

I read last night that the English department recently gave the school chancellor a vote of no confidence as well. It isn't completely related, but things in Columbia are pretty shit at the moment, no pun intended.

http://kbia.org/post/mu-english-department-casts-vote-no-confidence-chancellor-r-bowen-loftin

When I first read of this story, and you are right it has been buried on ESPN, I wasn't sure what was the cause of the strike. Well, I should say I wasn't aware of the acts that had gone on around campus that lead to the strike. After doing a little digging, I found a couple of rather shocking and frankly horrid events, including the swastika drawn in shit that lead to the initial hunger strike.

I don't know all the details, but on the surface it appears Wolfe isn't handling things appropriately or timely. Then the video pops up and it really digs him a deep hole. He released a statement today saying that he won't step down though.

https://twitter.com/ajost/status/663439673520431106/photo/1

On the plus side, it is nice to see the entire football team and students of all colors and creeds coming together in support of the cause. Hopefully it leads to some sort of action and Wolfe does step down. Like I said, I don't know all the first hand details, but none of the reports paint him in a positive light.

As far as sports as a political platform, I don't mind, hell I even usually like, when athletes take a stand. Charles Barkley may have been vocal about not being a role model, but in today's world a lot of people, especially young children, look up to athletes. They have an opportunity and a platform that the average person doesn't have. I would dare say it is their responsibility to take stands on issues when needed given their standing in society.

I remember a few years back Steve Nash was very outspoken about a non violent approach to the Middle East and wore anti war t-shirts during warm ups, even going so far as to say in interviews he was embarrassed by the Unites States actions. It drew the ire of former Navy alum David Robinson, who said something to the effect of "just shut up and play" and "if he is so embarrassed he should move." It sparked debate we don't normally see. ESPN actually devoted time to asking athletes their thoughts on current political events. Robinson did later speak out on other issues, like supporting LGBT sports rights, but I digress. Sports can and should be a platform for political statements. Will it lead to some jackass Eastern European soccer player doing a Nazi salute when he scores a goal? Yeah it will, but you have to take the good with the bad and in this case I think the good outweighs the bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back