UFC royally screws its fighters again

Mighty NorCal

SHALL WE BEGIN?
UFC just recently signed an exclusive uniform deal with Reebok, making it so every single fighters gear will be reebok, a lot like the NFL has Nike and the NBA has reebok.

Quite unlike those leagues though, the individual fighters make a huge portion of their income through sponsorships on their gear. Its is now down to 2k - 5k per fight for the more minor fighters. A guy like Brendan Schaub and other solid middle of the road fighters near the mid and bottom of the card can still pull in the 85 - 110K range because of sponsorships added to the peanuts the UFC pays them, but now, he will get those peanuts plus 10 thousand dollars from reebok....Just to put it in perspective.

People (Dana White and his cronies) can talk shit about how it "lends prestige to the promotion" (this is the part of a Wikipedia article that a citation reading "how?" would be next to the sentence) but really, all it is doing is funneling 90% of the ad revenue away from the fighters and into the UFC.

More and more steps are made that will make this just as stupid if not more so of a stupid business to get into than pro wrestling. White compares this to falling in line with other pro sports leagues.

Uh, how much do atheletes make in other sports leagues? Do UFC fighters get pensions, health plans and a CBA? Go fuck yourself, fucking scumbag

I've read nothing but bad things about the Reebok deal and pay scale.

gibson-reebok.png

I'll use Jones as an example. He was making upwards of 100k just to show. That doesn't include his sponsor deals or all the backstage under the table money Dana loves to brag about the UFC handing out. So according to the new pay scale he would only be making 40k a fight if he were not recently stripped of his title.

Its just a piss poor deal all around. Champions are now going to be making less than what Dana drops at the blackjack tables.

I've read nothing but bad things about the Reebok deal and pay scale.

gibson-reebok.png

I'll use Jones as an example. He was making upwards of 100k just to show. That doesn't include his sponsor deals or all the backstage under the table money Dana loves to brag about the UFC handing out. So according to the new pay scale he would only be making 40k a fight if he were not recently stripped of his title.

Its just a piss poor deal all around. Champions are now going to be making less than what Dana drops at the blackjack tables.

Not ONLY 40K a fight, but 40K is all he would receive via sponsorship (which is still probably less than HALF of what he was getting via sponsorship before).....His fight money and under the table whatever the fuck still stands.

But still. Its an obvious greed move that slashes fighters income by a huge amount.

I wonder if this encourages many to go to Bellator, were they can still have whatever sponsors they want? Could it cause a mass exodus? Why wouldn't it? If you are a fighter who by the laws of nature, one way or the other, probably only have around 20-30 pro fights max in your body, why wouldn't you go to the place were you would be allowed to make the most money?

Here's what makes it so fucked up....

It's not about 40k or 2k-5k.... it's about percentages.

Reebok is giving the UFC 70 million dollars. And do you know what percentage the fighters are getting of that 70 million? 55%. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

That means Dana and the Fertitta's are getting the other 45% of that 70 million.

Can you believe that fucking shit? So the UFC not only took money out of fighters pockets by not allowing them to have other sponsors, but then they're only giving them a little more than half of the new sponsorship deal.

This is blatant robbery and flat out disgusting. This deal embodies everything that is wrong with major corporations in America.

That said, it's the fighters own fault. Start a union. Make it where it's impossible for the UFC to pull something like this.

People (Dana White and his cronies) can talk shit about how it "lends prestige to the promotion" (this is the part of a Wikipedia article that a citation reading "how?" would be next to the sentence) but really, all it is doing is funneling 90% of the ad revenue away from the fighters and into the UFC.

I can see their argument now. "What's good for the company, is good for the fighters. The more money the company makes, the more marketing we can do, the more shows we can put on, the more opportunities each fighter has, the more fights they can fight, etc".

Which is no comfort to the "jobbers" in the company making $5K per fight. So they fight 4 times in a year now, as opposed to 2 (maybe 3), get their brain pounded in twice as much, just to break even with their previous income?

See? Just more incentive to "heal" faster, fight more, and pretend everything is A-OK. Right up until you're 41, drinking your meals through a straw, and being wheeled around at conventions for $5 autographs.

Here's what makes it so fucked up....

It's not about 40k or 2k-5k.... it's about percentages.

Reebok is giving the UFC 70 million dollars. And do you know what percentage the fighters are getting of that 70 million? 55%. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

That means Dana and the Fertitta's are getting the other 45% of that 70 million.

Can you believe that fucking shit? So the UFC not only took money out of fighters pockets by not allowing them to have other sponsors, but then they're only giving them a little more than half of the new sponsorship deal.

This is blatant robbery and flat out disgusting. This deal embodies everything that is wrong with major corporations in America.

That said, it's the fighters own fault. Start a union. Make it where it's impossible for the UFC to pull something like this.

Fuck.

I can cite cricket as an example and say that some cricketers are allowed to do rival endorsements outside the team's signed sponsors.
Football, too I think (soccer)

I know this is a little different considering the structure of the two governing bodies, but can happen

Fuck.

I can cite cricket as an example and say that some cricketers are allowed to do rival endorsements outside the team's signed sponsors.
Football, too I think (soccer)

I know this is a little different considering the structure of the two governing bodies, but can happen

A lot of US organizations will fine players/athletes for going outside of the sponsorship. It's basically a breach of contract. Athletes in the major sports, however, are allowed to go out and sign non-apparel sponsorship deals, so they can have their own cereal, or something similar.

UFC fighters have that same freedom, but there's just not the draw that there is for an NFL star, or a top NBA player. The companies don't want to associate with a "bloodsport", and there's no universe where a Werdum or Mir draws more interest than Peyton, or Lebron, or Brady.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back