Why UFC Needs To Begin Testing Their Own Fighters.

ITurnGirlsGay

Twitter -- @FightOnTwist
From corked bats to loaded gloves, there have always been ways for unscrupulous athletes to tip the odds in their favor. MMA is no different from any other sport in this respect. The reality of the situation is that Dana White has forced individuals to question the UFC’s steroid policy because of how he runs his business. Now, I don’t want anyone to think that we are bashing Dana White or his business. Nothing could be further from the truth. That’s not what we mean when we say that White has forced the hand of the media.

Dana White will tell just about anybody who will listen about the greatness of the UFC. Zuffa’s purchase of the UFC saved the organization from the brink of extinction and resurrected it into a global phenomenon that struck a major network deal with FOX recently. White is less than shy about the fact that he plans to turn the UFC into one of the largest sports in America. He intends for his organization to rival the four major sports. It is in this sense that Dana White has forced the hand of the media. If your aim is to have your sports organization received on the same level as MLB, NHL, NBA, and NFL then fan expectations are sure to follow....

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2012/06/from-rafael-palmeiro-to-rafael-feijao-why-ufc-needs-to-begin-testing-their-own-fighters/

MMA, the UFC in particular, is badly in need of testing. The Athletic Commissions cannot afford to keep doing this and they're obviously incapable of making an impact. Organizational testing is the only way to go.

Other sports don't have to deal with shitty athletic commissions... it's not fair to compare the UFC's situation to the NFL, MLB, NBA, etc. when those companies don't have to answer to anyone but themselves.

I find nothing wrong with the current system. It seems like no one is protected and that anyone can get caught at any given time. Are there some guys getting away with cheating by taking banned substances? Sure there are, but everyone eventually gets caught, especially with the technology of today and the fact that public figures are under such a small microscope. And besides, if they're able to get away with it now, they'll figure out how to get away with it if the UFC ever starts drug testing.

To me, the UFC stepping in and doing their own drug testing when fighters are already required to take drug test by people more powerful than the UFC just seems like a waste of time and money.

Leaving it to the athletic commissions is precisely why this is happening in the first place. The cant adequately handle the testing. They have gone on record and said that they not only can't handle it, but they can't afford it.

As a matter of fact, I'm not sure if you've even been paying attention, but the CSAC is already operating in the red. They estimate that this digit will be in the high 6 figures by the end of this year alone. They have already said they will have to close up shop of this keeps up.

Oregon's athletic commission is currently being investigated for improprieties. Florida's athletic commission has said they can't continue to keep testing athletes.

VADA is already working with different fighters to sponsor testing and even the Olympics uses WADA.

But nothing is wrong?

It's not the MMA or Boxing's job to help out athletic commissions. If athletic commissions can't handle these two sports, then they should disband and let these MMA and Boxing promotions start handling themselves.

I hate athletic commissions, and if they're finally running themselves in the ground, then good. However, the UFC shouldn't help out by start paying for their own drug tests. If there comes a day when athletic commissions have no say in MMA, then yes... the UFC should start their own drug testing, get their own refs and judges, etc. Until that time comes though, I say let the situation be.

It's not the MMA or Boxing's job to help out athletic commissions. If athletic commissions can't handle these two sports, then they should disband and let these MMA and Boxing promotions start handling themselves.

I hate athletic commissions, and if they're finally running themselves in the ground, then good. However, the UFC shouldn't help out by start paying for their own drug tests. If there comes a day when athletic commissions have no say in MMA, then yes... the UFC should start their own drug testing, get their own refs and judges, etc. Until that time comes though, I say let the situation be.

Are you aware that AC's get their money from taxpayers? So, even though my state is completely broke and the 5th largest city in our state just filed bankruptcy, you'd let us continue to pay for testing when we have one of the highest unemployment rates in the country?

Kind of a callous way to look at things. I thought a little bit differently of you.

This issue goes beyond just drug testing. The UFC SHOULD be paying for their own fighters to be tested. Even Golden Boy Boxing has a testing policy. The WWE has a testing policy, but boxing and MMA are the only sports where the taxpayers foot the bill. This needs to change. Especially when the UFC is increasing the frequency of their events at our expense.

Dude, our tax dollars are going to go to waste no matter what. There are plenty of states in this country that haven't seen a big MMA or Boxing event in years and they're struggling just like the rest of us. And if it's costing the government too much to drug test MMA and Boxing athletes in certain states, then they should stop doing it. Simple as that.

Also, where's the guarantee that if the UFC starts drug testing their fighters that the athletic commissions will then stop doing their own test? Like you said, Golden Boy Promotions do their own testing (and that's ONLY because Floyd Mayweather wants to make sure he doesn't step in there with someone who's on the juice), yet their boxers still get tested by the athletic commissions. Why would the UFC be any different?

Dude, our tax dollars are going to go to waste no matter what. There are plenty of states in this country that haven't seen a big MMA or Boxing event in years and they're struggling just like the rest of us. And if it's costing the government too much to drug test MMA and Boxing athletes in certain states, then they should stop doing it. Simple as that.

Also, where's the guarantee that if the UFC starts drug testing their fighters that the athletic commissions will then stop doing their own test? Like you said, Golden Boy Promotions do their own testing (and that's ONLY because Floyd Mayweather wants to make sure he doesn't step in there with someone who's on the juice), yet their boxers still get tested by the athletic commissions. Why would the UFC be any different?

There aren't any guarantees, but company wide, random drug testing would go a long way toward ensuring that the UFC is doing a better job than they are. Your argument here is weak. Your entire argument seems like nothing more than a chance for you to tell me I'm wrong, for what ever reason.

You said there's nothing wrong with it the way it is, but I've shown you that things are wrong. You then said let these commissions run themselves into the ground, but that happens on the taxpayer dime. Finally, you've said our tax dollars are wasted no matter what, so who cares.

Absolute none of these points are logical. I have shown you 3 different states that are either under investigation, broke, or both. I've given you a mountain of evidence to support the case and you've fired back with that stuff.

I'm done with conversation unless you have something to contribute that isn't you just being a contrarian.

CSAC is broke: http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/8179259/embattled-california-state-athletic-commission-head-george-dodd-resigns

Oregon SAC is under investigation:http://mmajunkie.com/news/29426/oregon-state-athletic-commission-executive-director-on-leave-pending-investigation.mma

How about this quote from Mike Chiappetta:
Even stateside, there are problems. The state of Washington only has mandatory testing for title bouts. Other states, like Louisiana, have no formally written testing policy at all
from this article: http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/3/30/2913720/ped-in-mma-steroids-mike-chiappetta-trt-athletic-commission-testing-mma-news

Athlete's caught since 2002: http://www.cagepotato.com/mma-steroid-busts-definitive-timeline/

Here's Kevin Iole laying out that it would cost the UFC LESS to do it themselves: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-iole_alistair_overeem_failed_test_dana_white_040412

If I say up, you'll say down. If I say left, you'll say right.

I've heard your opinions, but you're not backing them up with anything. I've given you evidence that your claims are incorrect. Everything is NOT fine. All of the evidence points to the fact that the athletic commissions are, at best, causing more problems than fixing them. One of the biggest states in the nation, California, can't keep doing this. They'll add almost a million dollars to an already compounding debt.

I just showed you an article from Mike Chiappetta that the UFC, in certain cases, will reimburse the state for the testing. They're already paying for it. By the way, that state is Louisiana. UFC reimburses Louisiana for all its testing.

Here's a quote from Louisiana's BWC chair!

Alvin Topham, who chairs the Louisiana Boxing and Wrestling Commission, detailed that process during an interview with MMA Fighting.

When the UFC comes to the state, as they did last September, they insist upon drug testing. The commission will administer the tests, select a laboratory to process them, and pay the initial bill. They will also be the first to receive the results, which they will eventually pass along to the UFC.

The promotion later reimburses them for the cost.

The reason for this setup? The expense. Topham told MMA Fighting that the commission doesn’t receive a single cent of funding from the state government. Instead, it is self-funded through event gate taxes and licensing. The costs of random testing all events would quickly whittle away their cash reserves, so instead, they concentrate on major shows, using the deeper pockets of bigger promotions like UFC and Bellator to pay for the screenings.

"They’re footing the bill, but the way we’re doing it is safeguarding against impropriety," said Topham, who has served on the commission since 1992. "If anyone questions my integrity, that’s fine. They can say what they want to say. But I have no investment in the UFC. I don’t work for them. This is an arrangement, and we’re ultimately administering the testing."

Louisiana gets it paid for by the UFC while we continue to go broke. I'm starting to understand why you don't care.

We can agree to disagree.

I strongly believe this. I also believe that contracted fighters should be tested outside of fighting. These days with people being smarter due to the assistance of technology there are so many ways to avoid the routine testing before fights such as cycling and using cheap tactics with methods that assist with weight cutting. This way will keep things honest as fighters will not know when they are tested or if it will only happen before their fights. While this is an expensive method to combat a rising issue (or issue that's finally being put into the limelight) within the sport but it can keep them honest and in turn, keep the field as level as possible.

Both Rory MacDonald and BJ have agreed to drug testing for the two mo the leading into their fight at UFC 152.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/29898/ror...o-voluntary-drug-testing-ahead-of-ufc-152.mma

I believe this is great. I am impressed by both fighters for putting themselves out there in this manner as the first two fighters to agree to such drastic testing (random blood and urine testing up until fight night). I believe or should I say hope that more
fighters step forward in this manner and slow themselves to be tested in such a manner.

It's not going to end all of the problems but this is a great item of news and if even one fighter after Penn and MacDonald do this, then it's a success.

I commend both fighters for this and hope it's a step toward positively speaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back