Top Hip Hop Albums 2014

What's your favorite rap release of 2014??

• Ab-Soul - These Days

• Schoolboy Q - Oxymoron

• Isaiah Rashad - Cilvia Demo

• Madlib x Freddie Gibbs - Pinata

• Step Brothers - Lord Steppington

• Run The Jewels 2

• PRhyme

• Hail Mary Mallon - Bestiary

• Open Mike Eagle - Dark Comedy

• YG - My Crazy Life

• Ghostface Killah - 36 Seasons

• Tech N9ne Collabos - Strangeulation

• Big K.R.I.T. - Cadillactica

• Something more mainstream(Rick Ross, Future, Azealia,etc,)

• Other(Put me on something good I didn't hear)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Papa Pillman

I've got more Ho's than Jim Duggan
I've heard a lot of people refer to 2014 as a down year in rap, but I think that a few strong releases over the last couple months have helped salvage a pretty good year, especially for independent hip-hop.

Here are my top-5 hip-hop albums for 2014:

1. Run The Jewels 2

The first RTJ release was my 2013 AOTY, so I had high expectations, and El-p and Killer Mike rewarded them with an album that was far more ambitious than their first effort and yielded something that continues to prove that right now they're ahead of the rest of the rap world. The production sounds far more like an El-P work than the first album, and both men are on their A-game both with lyrics and delivery, with El even managing to keep up with Mike and deliver a consistently stronger effort from verse to verse than maybe he has on any other release of his career.

2. Isaiah Rashad - Cilvia Demo

Even without Kendrick releasing an album in 2014, it was still a banner year for TDE with Ab-Soul and Schoolboy Q dropping stellar solo efforts, but the label's standout release was the debut from the recruited Chattanooga native Isaiah Rashad. If anyone is not familiar with Rashad imagine melding Kendrick and Ab-soul into one rapper and having him grow up in Tennessee instead of Cali, and you'll have an idea of his style. This album is both polished and raw simultaneously, deep and gripping while also easily passing for relaxing vibes for the background. Isaiah may be responsible for BIG things in the future, and this is a brilliant glimpse at that. Tributes to Master P, Outkast, and Scarface headline the album.

3. Hail Mary Mallon - Bestiary

This was the sophomore effort for the super-group of Aesop Rock, Rob Sonic, and DJ Big Wiz. While their debut showed their chemistry and gave a fun listen with some replay value, this one was on a whole different level. Aesop and Rob handle the production and committed to a really strong vibe that just stands out more as the right lane for their partnership compared to the first album. Aesop and Rob feed off of each other's nonsensical musings to absurd degrees to produce a complex experience in comprehending the message that rewards repeat listens. Also Wiz is showcased nicely throughout. And the album is truly funny without trying too hard(especially the running background skit).

4. PRhyme (Royce Da 5'9'' and DJ Premier)

Going all the way back to the days of "Boom", Royce and Primo have had an undeniable chemistry that has left people begging for a full collab album- and the result proves that it's better late than never. Committing to only using Adrian Young samples at Royce's request, Preem still manages to deliver one of his strongest complete effort in years. Royce is very strong without wearing his occasionally limited subject matter too thin over the course of the short LP. His one liners work for the most part and he displays some flows that deviate from the more rapid fire fare he has gravitated too in recent years, better complimenting Primo's offerings. Also the Slaughterhouse featured track "Microphone Preem" is a sequel to the single "Microphone" from the band's debut, and manages to surpass its predecessor.

T-5. Big K.R.I.T. - Cadillactica

KRIT finally showcases that his album game can out pace his mixtape game if he finds the right voice. Cadillactica is a deviation for KRIT, sounding more like a Mississippi-bred version of Outkast. This loosely sewn together concept album cements KRIT as a true artist, and one who can even be so bold as to claim himself "King Of The South" while getting little dispute from the true heads. This a long with Cilvia Demo give the south its strongest pair of releases in some time.

T-5. Step Brothers - Lord Steppington

In line with other top albums I've mentioned like RTJ, HMM, and Prhyme as well as other great stuff like Madlib x Freddie Gibbs; Step Brothers helps to give 2014 the reputation as the year of the Super-Duos. Alchemist and Evidence are both accomplished producers who know how to craft the right sound for the strengths. Lord Steppington is sonically dope from front to back with Ev and Alc's unassumingly smooth lyrical attack has plenty of gems sprinkled across the LP. Additionally the features are a great bonus, especially the contributions of cross coast NYC monsters Action Bronson and Roc Marciano.

Honorable Mentions:
Open Mike Eagle - Dark Comedy
As an aside Mike is a good dude who's a huge wrestling fan. I met him after a show once and I was wearing a Daniel Bryan T-shirt, we ended up talking wrestling for like an hour.

Ghostface Killah - 36 Seasons
Very quality follow up in the vein of GFK's excellent previous release 12 Reasons To Die, 36 Seasons' December release slides in late on the 2014 map with a nice consistent vibe with a cool concept, Ghost's legendary storytelling, and phenomenal reoccurring feature players. With more time to sink-in, it could crack the top-5.

It's surprising you left off J. Cole's Forest Hills Drive that came out this past Tuesday. Great album, reminds me of Friday Night Lights/Warm Up era Mixtape Cole. My only complaint is that his beats are getting repetitive but overall it's a great listen. It's actually been getting a looot of love on my social media streams.

I also really enjoyed YG's My Krazy Life. He and Mustard executed a modern LA sound perfectly.

Ross' Mastermind was good but I don't know if it deserves a Top Rap Album of 2014 mention just because there was really nothing better.

Other than that, rap hasn't really been that impressive this year. I still have to get around to listening to Ab-Soul's album, Isaiah Rashad's album, Stalley's Ohio and BIG Krit's Cadillactica. Tried to get into Oxymoron and couldn't really vibe with it. Will give it another try.

Hoping 2014 will be better with Kendrick, Drake, Kanye and personal favorites like Dom Kennedy and Wale dropping.

It's surprising you left off J. Cole's Forest Hills Drive that came out this past Tuesday. Great album, reminds me of Friday Night Lights/Warm Up era Mixtape Cole. My only complaint is that his beats are getting repetitive but overall it's a great listen. It's actually been getting a looot of love on my social media streams.

I also really enjoyed YG's My Krazy Life. He and Mustard executed a modern LA sound perfectly.

Good call on Forest Hills Drive. It was on my list, but ended up not getting a poll spot like a few other albums(The Roots, Wu Tang, Souls of Mischief, Black Milk, Stalley, Homeboy Sandman, Dilated Peoples, Ratking, Static Selektah, and others). With limited poll options it was hard to get a comprehensive list up for vote, I focused on a lot of albums that I really enjoyed, or stuff like that YG album you listed that I still haven't gotten around to listening to, but has gotten nearly universal critical praise(and figured I was required to give the option for the cookie cutter major label juggernauts like Ross, regardless of their limited quality).

Also props to Marlene's Disaster who brought up the Flatbush Zombies and Underachievers Clockwork Indigo EP to me in rep, that was only not included because I made the decision to focus on full length official releases, and leave EPs and Mixtapes out of the equation. I also made the decision to leave off more Downtempo/Instrumental/Trip Hop/Post-Hip Hop type releases that I enjoyed like Red Martina or Got a Girl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back