Top 100 Wrestlers of All Time

Think of a time were Cena put on a good match when he was against a bad opponent. Never has. He needs his opponents to be able to make the match interesting.
No offense, but you're not very smart. Ignoring for a moment the matches Cena had against Lashley and Batista, both of which were fantastic matches, please name me all the wrestlers who had good matches with bad opponents.

NO good wrestler can have a good match with a bad dance partner. All you can do is do the best you can. And Cena has been in good matches with all different opponents of all different abilities.

The fact is that there is people in WWE right now who deserve to be in a higher position than Cena
No there isn't. No one works harder, represents the company better, puts over other workers better, or consistently has quality matches more than Cena.

Cena was great up to the point when he won the wwe champ and ill tell u why
1) WHEN he won it he was the thuganomics charachter but after tht he was a nice guy tht said never give up and tht was not wut the cena i wanted to win was,he was a really crappy wrestler
So...Cena was crappy because he wasn't a cheesy white rapper. Makes sense. :suspic:

most tag team wrestlers end up being world champs like kane,edge, big show, batista ,randy orton,rey mysterio,bret hart and if he wins at survivor series...wade barrett and ur telling me tht these guys r shit??
You're missing the point. My point was that being a tag team wrestler means jack shit when it comes to being a good wrestling. You can be a good wrestler and be in a tag team, or you can be a good wrestler and not be in a tag team. But just because you were in a good tag team doesn't make you a good wrestler. Tag team wrestling existed to give young and inexperienced workers TV time, while not dumping on them the responsibility of a full match. Notice how, as the WWE grew to be 3 TV shows in a week, tag team wrestling pretty much disappeared for a while? There's a reason for that.

I would also leave out Japanese wrestlers. Why? Because we have too many people on this forum who watch a couple Japanese matches, and then go all Meltzer on everyone claiming every wrestler with a Japanese last name is the best wrestler in the world. Don't even get close to that trap.

Nice straw man there. There are two diehard puro marks on this site, and neither of us have ever claimed that Japanese wrestlers were the most important wrestlers ever. That being said, the biggest flaw with your statement here is that both of us have seen tons of puro and neither of us write or think like Meltzer (xfearbefore has adopted a similar rating system, but that's as far as the comparison goes).

If this list is supposed to be based off of a mix of skill, drawing power, and whatever the other criteria were, then El Santo, Antonio Inoki, and Kenta Kobashi should be in your top ten; they've outdrawn every single wrestler in the top ten save for Hogan, Austin, and The Rock. Although I've never been a fan El Santo, no other wrestler has had a bigger influence on lucha. As for Inoki and Kobashi, I think their in-ring work speaks for itself.

Also, if you're putting Rikidozan on your list because of the television ratings of his matches, you should know that there were like three channels and only one million or so households with television sets when his matches aired. It'd be pretty fucking easy for any wrestler to draw a rating of 87.0 under those kind of conditions. In short, Rikidozan has been outdrawn and outshined by every single one of the Japanese greats that have come after him.

My, my, aren't we all very excited? For what my opinion is worth (and yes, folks these posts are only opinions, so please, less of the childish name calling), I think the list in defective in concept so any result is invalid. Stay with me here: the problem is there is no distinction given between 'wrestler' and 'sports entertainer'. Now, personally, I hate the latter term because of all it represents - VKM monopolising the market and creating a baige product. However, it is still the most important shift in the medium - because it moved from being focused on in ring action to an extensive marketed product based on sex, mike work and merchandise.

That said, it means claiming Hogan is the best 'wrestler' of all time is null and void - because as an in ring worker, he was and is terrible. But as a 'Sports entertainer' he did set the standard, and very high at that, so he might merit No.1 on that. Cena, Andre the Giant etc were all awful in the ring, but great for business. Danielson, Malenko, Jericho and Edge etc always set a high standard in the ring, but had issues either on the mic or as draws.

So, who crosses the divide and merits a place a top the rankings? Well the following, in my opinion remember, manage this. The list is not in any order because people can argue about the definition of ring work or draw power.

Stone Cold Steve Austin
Ric Flair
Shawn Michaels
Triple H (as much as I hate the guy)
The Rock
Kurt Angle
Bret Hitman Hart
Antonio Inoki (I admit you have to be a fan of Japanese wrestling to agree)
Jushin Thunder Lyger (a star in Mexico and Japan only I admit)
Rey Mysterio
Ultimo Dragon (like Lyger and Inoki, not a US star)
Undertaker

I know people will disagree, thats fine it's an opinion, or say I've contradicted my own critera, but because this is not a sport, with statistic that are acturate or meaningful, then the whole concept of a ranking system is a subjective idea.

That said, it means claiming Hogan is the best 'wrestler' of all time is null and void - because as an in ring worker, he was and is terrible. But as a 'Sports entertainer' he did set the standard,

Unless you specify ring technician as far as anyone should be concerned wrestler = sports entertainer. Hogan's job was a pro wrestler and he was the best around. You also have a slightly naive outlook on Hogan's in ring ability. What was Hogan doing wrong? Tell me what he was doing that wasn't utterly perfect?

He wasn't technical chain wrestling, locking in submissions or handing out 450 Splashes. So what? He didn't need to. Tell me when any major draw was doing anything outside of a limited (largely) brawling moveset.

Cena is not a modern day Hogan. Just because you are the top face in the company does not make you Hogan. Cena does not rank in the atmosphere of Hogan, Rock, Austin, or, Flair. These guys drew more money than any other American wrestlers in history and it's not even close, not to mention the memorable feuds and moments that they had.

Cena does belong in that atmosphere. But even still - Sammartino? Bruno could probably rival Hogan's drawing at his peak. Huge draw, can't be bothered to go into it, but I'd bet my house a bigger draw than you have any idea of. Easily outdrew The Rock and Flair.

Cena gets too much flack. He's a huge face. In a company with The Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Batista, Chris Jericho, Triple H, Rey Mysterio and Vince McMahon he's by far and away the face of the entire company and has been for several years. Wrestling is in decline, all over the place, so it's not WWE exclusive but thanks to Cena's astronomical merch sales the WWE are making more money than ever. With the exception of 1998 he's even outsold Austin, not sure where he stands compared to Hogan though.

I can't believe that no one has included Michael "P.S." Hayes on these lists.

Hayes was one of the greatest showmen of all time, and he was MONEY on the mike.

If you don't believe me, look for some of his promos on youtube.
As far as in the ring goes, did you ever see the "Country Whoopin' Match" between The Freebirds and The Von Erichs? The guy freaking cracked me up with his reaction to being whipped with the leather strap.
I believe his drawback was that he wasn't really marketed as a top guy in NWA. He was at one point the US Champion, but he's mostly remembered as a tag competitor.
He was one of the best though, in my opinion.

Malenko316: You took ring work and draw power to put together a list of the best wrestlers ever and you put Rey Mysterio in this list. You might as well have stuck Dean Malenko in there! Rey Mysterio is far from a draw buddy. I don't really disagree with your list, except your missing perhaps the best draw who could always be counted on to wrestle an epic match. Randy Savage. To leave Randy Savage out of your list indicates you don't have enough knowledge of wrestling's past to be making any sort of credible judgment.

A guy earlier wrote up a list here of the top 10 best in ring main event wrestlers and a top 10 main event drawers and I think he had the right idea when approaching who really is the best ever. I'll add to what he did and also make a top 10 for main event longevity, a top 10 for World/any titles, and another for epic matches, feuds, and victories over legends, etc. If you look at all my lists below it becomes apparent that, after Flair, Savage might just be the most overall package of any wrestler in history (I leave out non-North American guys because lets not kid ourselves..most of us only pay attention to North American wrestling).

Top 10 in ring main event wrestlers (wrestling ability + star power)

10 Bob Backlund
9 Chris Jericho
8 Kurt Angle
7 Steve Austin
6 The Rock
5 Sting
4 Ric Flair
3 Randy Savage
2 Bret Hart
1 Shawn Michaels

Top 10 Wrestlers Ever (best wrestler and/ or most entertaining ability)

10 A.J. Styles
9 Chris Benoit
8 Eddie Guerrero
7 Bret Hart
6 Kurt Angle
5 Randy Savage
4 Ricky Steamboat
3 Shawn Michaels
2 Dean Malenko
1 Rey Mysterio Jr (followed by every single lucha libre)

Top 10 Main Event Draws

10 Andre the Giant
9 Randy Savage
8 The Undertaker
7 Ultimate Warrior
6 Ric Flair
5 Bruno Sammartino
4 John Cena
3 The Rock
2 Steve Austin
1 Hulk Hogan

Top 10 on the Mic (and Promos)

10 Rick Rude
9 Scott Hall
8 Triple H
7 Randy Savage
6 Chris Jericho
5 Rowdy Roddy Piper
4 Steve Austin
3 Hulk Hogan
2 Ric Flair
1 The Rock

Top 10 Main event longevity

10 Shawn Michaels
9 Rowdy Roddy Piper (sporadically)
8 Andre the Giant (mostly before WWE went mainstream though)
7 Sting (never in WWE though)
6 The Undertaker
5 Randy Savage (counting his time prior to WWE..as I've done with everyone)
4 Bruno Sammartino
3 Hulk Hogan
2 Ric Flair
1 Lou Thez

Top 10 World Title Holders
10 Bret Hart
9 Harley Race
8 Pedro Morales
7 John Cena
6 Triple H
5 Bob Backlund
4 Hulk Hogan
3 Ric Flair
2 Lou Thez
1 Bruno Sammartino

Top 10 Guys Wrestling Best Main Event Feuds (very subjective)

10 Chris Jericho
9 Sting
8 Shawn Michaels
7 Triple H
6 The Rock
5 Steve Austin
4 Hulk Hogan
3 Randy Savage
2 Bret Hart
1 Ric Flair

Top 10 Storytellers Putting On Best Matches

10 Scott Hall
9 Bob Backlund
8 Kurt Angle
7 Ricky Steamboat
6 The Undertaker
5 Hulk Hogan
4 Randy Savage
3 Bret Hart
2 Shawn Michaels
1 Ric Flair

Top 10 Most Mainstream Wrestlers

10 Andre the Giant
9 Rowdy Roddy Piper
8 Ultimate Warrior
7 Randy Savage
6 John Cena
5 Bret Hart
4 The Undertaker
3 Steve Austin
2 The Rock
1 Hulk Hogan

Top 10 Most Loved By the Smarks (all loyal asskissers to Vince throughout their careers minus Flair's WWE betrayal this year)

10 Jake Roberts (minor blip in wrestling)
9 Rey Mysterio Jr. (minor blip in wrestling)
8 Jimmy Snuka (minor blip in wrestling)
7 Ted Dibiase (minor blip in wrestling)
6 Ric Flair
5 Chris Jericho
4 Randy Orton
3 The Undertaker
2 Triple H
1 Shawn Michaels

Top 10 Loved By the Marks (and despised by the smarks)

10 Randy Savage
9 Sting
8 Goldberg
7 Ultimate Warrior
6 Rob Van Dam
5 Bret Hart
4 The Rock
3 Steve Austin
2 John Cena
1 Hulk Hogan (and anyone NWO)

No offense, but you're not very smart. Ignoring for a moment the matches Cena had against Lashley and Batista, both of which were fantastic matches, please name me all the wrestlers who had good matches with bad opponents.

NO good wrestler can have a good match with a bad dance partner. All you can do is do the best you can. And Cena has been in good matches with all different opponents of all different abilities.
During the whole Randy Orton/Cena fued Orton made the match look interesting and i've seen plenty of experts reviews which agreed with what i said.

Dolph Ziggler has a great ability to carry oponents through match e.g. The Great Khali.

And you mentioned the Lashely match, You do know Lashely is a match better wrestler than Cena right?

No there isn't. No one works harder, represents the company better, puts over other workers better, or consistently has quality matches more than Cena.
Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, Christain, CM Punk and The Undertaker all put on far better matches more consistantly than Cena.

I honestly can't remember the last time Cena lost a match cleanly, so when he puts over someone they dont come of looking strong because they dont win the matches cleanly.

The Miz is a much better worker than Cena. For the past 2 years he has worked his ass of to get to the position he is in now and he's the one who goes from place to place doing the promoting for the WWE and he's entertaining on and off WWE tv.

And i would argue that the Undertaker is the WWE's best represntative for the WWE and The Miz is the best at promoting for the WWE because other than on WWE related shows I very rarely see John Cena

So what? Hogan was the hottest thing on the planet in the late 80's. You could put him against any schmuck in the business and Hogan would make it work. He was the main event of almost all the first ten Wrestlemanias because he was that great. He revolutionized the business twice, was the main figurehead in WCW being on top of the Monday Night Wars in the mid 90's, and was a top draw for almost two decades. The Rock is second fiddle to Austin and nowhere close to Hogan.

Since you said so what to my post that pretty much says you aren't disputing anything I've said.

He had a good gimmick for the time as I said. He wasn't that great by any means. Like I also said in Britain we had Big Daddy who the fans loved purely for the unbeatable patriotic hero gimmick. It didn't take any real talent for him to get over either. He was even worse than Hogan at everything yet the fans loved him. You've got to credit the promoter and simpler times more than anything for that.

Like I already pointed out the figures in WWF were dropping every year, when he left WWF for WCW the ratings for either company didn't change one bit, and WCW was giving away free tickets whilst Hogan was there so it's not entirely true to say he was a top draw for 20 years. He had a few peaks which are pretty easy to explain (i.e. wrestling going mainstream for the first time with no competition, the shocking heel turn, and the nostalgia of him returning to WWF). When Austin broke through the ratings and buyrates increased alot and remained consistent throughout his run.

The idea that wrestling wouldn't be where it's at without Hogan is ridiculous. Whoever got the gimmick and push he did would be a huge name in the business.

I want to say one thing my view on the op is just the an opinion. I like the list cause it made me think who my top 100 were. Now I'm on my friends I phone so I'm not going to try to list I just like the idea.

Like I already pointed out the figures in WWF were dropping every year, when he left WWF for WCW the ratings for either company didn't change one bit, and WCW was giving away free tickets whilst Hogan was there so it's not entirely true to say he was a top draw for 20 years. He had a few peaks which are pretty easy to explain (i.e. wrestling going mainstream for the first time with no competition, the shocking heel turn, and the nostalgia of him returning to WWF). When Austin broke through the ratings and buyrates increased alot and remained consistent throughout his run.

The idea that wrestling wouldn't be where it's at without Hogan is ridiculous. Whoever got the gimmick and push he did would be a huge name in the business.

Hogan's debut PPV with WCW was Bash at the Beach 1994. It drew a buyrate of 1.02. Almost double what they were getting previously and still the highest rated PPV for another 3 years. It was a huge success, unfortunately WCW never capitalised on it, but Hogan drew all these fans over to WCW just because of who he is.

The WCW giving away free tickets lark is strongly entwined with the location of the set and everything that accompanies that. It really was a flawed system and more often than not the fans were casual viewers who happened to be in the area.

You can try to rationalise everything but the fact Hogan is directly implicated in everything sorta numbs it. The 'no competition thing' is also a silly comment. They had competition, they just beat the competition. People wanted to see Hogan. Not Gagne or Flair. Maybe you're right - Vince could have done it without Hogan, but Hogan was the number one guy in the country, as Vince went national he poached wrestlers from far and wide and Hogan was his first choice to lead the company. Does that mean anything to you?

Tell me who was a better draw than him from 1983-2003? No-one. No-one has had his longevity and sustained success. After all these years people still care about him.

Onto Austin. You can rationalise his success as the time WWF changed their output and went to an adult orientated product. See. Appealing to a different audience meant new viewers. Buyrates increased during 1998 to around 1.0 and stayed there until the 2000's. Upon which I'd argue was The Rock and Triple H's time, due to Austin long injury. During this period they finally increased again.

WM2000 was the highest drawing 'Mania during Austin's time. You know, the one he missed? In fact every Mania from 2005 has outdrawn Austin's best. So Cena > Austin?

Even still, if you think any 'Mania in the last 15 years is even a quarter of what Hogan drew during the early years of 'Mania you'd be very wrong. Yeah, look it up. It's frightening - something like 10.7 he drew for WrestleMania 3.

Bottom line is you can rationalise alot in wrestling and not to take anything away from Austin but he was a far bigger case of right place - right time.

Hulk Hogan. number one. are you SERIOUS??????? REALLY GREATEST WRESTLER OF ALL TIME?????????? the fact that he beat out (in no order) Jericho, Steamboat, Michaels, Hart, hell bryan dainelson, Eddie, Chavo, FLAIR, Christian, I mean, how in the hell???? Hogan did four moves if that. Bodyslam, leg drop, boot, punch.

Well Hogan is one of the biggest stars to come into the business and he reinvented it, don't get me wrong, I love Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Steamboat, and Jericho. In fact it should be pretty obvious that off the top of this post I am a Hitman fan.
Watch some of Hogan's older matches, I'd say most of the Pre-Hulkamania stuff and you'll see this guy could do something in the ring, or else he'd never have made it to the top of the business like he did. The old man even shined through in some of this WWF/E 2002 efforts against guys like The Rock, Kurt Angle and even Shawn Michaels. Despite what the elitist IWC has to say about it.

For those that have a problem with that status of Hogan being the top on most people's lists take it up with Vince McMahon, Verne Gagne, Ted Turner, Eric Bischoff and the millions of people who vocalized their support to the aforementioned individuals I just listed. Like it or not, he is the man. Just because he didn't do all the fancy moves in EVERY match doesn't mean he couldn't ever wrestle and that he wasn't great. Considering pro wrestling is a performance art more than an actual sport, your criteria for what constitutes the greatest doesn't fit too well into your argument, sorry dude, but that's just the truth. If Hogan knew nothing about how to work a match, he'd have been shown the door a long time ago. As awesome as some of those guys on the list go, you gotta look at how it really is man and the reality is this, most people in the world know who Hulk Hogan is and he's the guy that's headlined so many big events, he's put the asses in the seats and those other wrestlers have too, but a big criteria for this list is indeed star power nad some people by comparison to Hogan just don't have it.

Overall the list isn't bad and can definitely be defended. For example, your top 10 is actually pretty good (and Hogan as #1 is a great pick IMO).

With that said I only see 2 major flaws (of course its my opinion only):
1)No Baba
2)No Inoki

Both of these guys are more than deserving to be on the top 100 list and IMO Inoki should be in the top 10 of all time. I found it interesting that Rikidozan was added but the 2 biggest names in Japanese wrestling history (and the 2 names that kept wrestling in Japan going for years) are missing.

Overall I like the list, but if it was me I would have Inoki and Baba on it.

100 best wrestlers list is just okay but here is the final 10 for real i'm talking about all around everything wrestling ability main event draws titles mic etc.

10.Jerry Lawler
9.Eddie Guererro
8.Steve Austn
7. Antonio Onoki
6.Bruno Sanmartino
5.Sting
4.Undertaker
3. Bret Hart
2.Hulk Hogan
1. Ric Flair

Randy Savage, HHH, HBK, Kurt Angle, Steve Austin, The Rock, Dusty Rhodes, Chris Benoit, Mr.Perfect, Ricky Steamboat are the 11-20 behind the top 10

I dont care wha any of you guys say Eddie Guererro belongs in the top 10 even Ric Flair said it on his DVD he is one of the best ever in his top 10 and everyone knows to get that from Nature Boy it means something because he hated everyone

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back