TNA Region, Third Round, Street Fight: (4) Lou Thesz vs. (5) Ricky Steamboat

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Lou Thesz

• Ricky Steamboat

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a third round match in the TNA Region. It is a Street Fight match, held at the Amway Center in Orlando, Florida.

AmwayCenter1.jpg

Rules: Anything goes in this match but the fall must take place in the ring.

13.jpg

#4. Lou Thesz

Vs.

ricky-steamboat.png

#5. Ricky Steamboat

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Let me save you some arguments from guys like Ech(love you) about how this guy who died before I was even born is such a huge deal because he drew well in the territories and could legit shoot on a guy if he had to, by saying that Ricky Steamboat is one of the nicest guys in wrestling. I can't recall him ever using underhanded tactics. A street fight is just not something a guy like Steamboat would thrive in. Thesz moves on.

One of the most famous pioneers of hardcore wrestling, the Sheik, once ran away from Lou Thesz mid match and hid under a bus.

Also, you know, Lou Thesz was a big deal. He wins.

You see that cleft in Thesz's chin? That's Stan Smith levels of perfection. And to top it off the picture is in black and white. That's the equivalent of perfection.

Vote Lou. He looks like a man that's seen the end of a steiner or two, and that's your kind of guy. Don't argue with me you know I'm bloody right.

Guess I'll run down this really fast...

Drawing power - Lou Thesz was wrestling's biggest draw for 7 years. Much longer if you count his second run. He shattered records for wrestling. He was popular everywhere: the States, Canada, Mexico, Europe, Japan, Australia, India...

Ricky Steamboat... was a bit less than this.

Longevity - Lou Thesz was still a massive star past the age of 50. He wrestled and was still very much relevant by the time he was 70. Point Thesz.

Consistency - Thesz. No brainer.

Accolades - Ricky Steamboat was NWA champion for 76 days. Lou Thesz was a world champion in some capacity for a combined 18 years. Point Thesz.

In ring skills - Ricky Steamboat was a great worker. Lou Thesz was better. He prided himself on being scientific but could incorporate show wrestling just as well as anyone else, and knew how to adapt his style to changing times. And he was fun to watch. Point Thesz.

Charisma - Lou knew how to connect with people, he knew how to act, he had tremendous presence, he knew how to sell the right way, execute moves the right way to keep the fans from all over the world coming back for more. Pretty much anything Steamboat could do, Thesz could do just as well if not better.

Overall Legacy - Steamboat was a great worker and had many classic matches. But Lou Thesz was the greatest pro wrestler of all time.

A street fight? I don't see this match spilling out of the ring much. They go an hour because they can, giving the fans a great show with a combination of scientific wrestling, some slam bam, and some tussling outside the ring for effect before Lou wins.

Vote Thesz.

Steamboat was a career midcard wrestler that was entertaining and a good guy. He's famous for beating Flair and Savage in big matches, but people forget that he lost to both of them millions of times beforehand. Thesz is one of the most successful wrestlers ever, and as the street fight situation has almost no bearing whatsoever on the outcome, there can only be one winner.

Thesz in a great battle. But Thesz nonetheless; he has Ricky beat here roundly

Amazing match. If real, it would EASILY be the best of the tournament to date... and possibly the best to watch in the entire tournament.

But there's no way that Thesz doesn't go over here. Ignoring the crap about him being a 'career' mid-carder, Steamboat just was not in the same stratosphere as Lou Thesz. That's not a knock though, because very few ever were.

Hopefully this is the year that this tournament finally recognizes how great Thesz was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back